Let's Talk About Bicycling!

I love to swim but I find it hard to get to a swimming pool regularly, and the thing I love about running is that I can do it anywhere - starting right outside my front gate, anytime I wish. For this reason, I decided to augment my steps with cycling.[:)]

Could not find an appropriate thread to post
So posted here moderators kindly put the same in the appropriate thread
Began cycling after a gap of thirtythree years .The last time I was regular on a cycle was when I was in my first year of my degree course.After a lot of deliberation and search on the net I purchased Trek FX2 Disc.and been on a cycling bing ,first day I did 11 kms felt good..The cycle is light weight and is classified as a hybrid

Attachments

Last edited:

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member
Gyms being closed for the past 4 months , needed a new way to lose some weight. Since we couldn't do morning walk , we tried fitness dance at home only but still it wasn't enough.

Looking at others people cycling craze now a days I also bit the bullet and bought two cycles.

Before buying :
1. Look for the apt size of the cycle.
There are many sizes available suited for different rider heights. Look for frame size( 17" , 19" etc) and the tyre size(for adults 27.5" and 29", for kids 26")

2. With or without gear.
You should also see if you want the cycle with gear or without. Non geared cycles will be cheaper and you can get good brands around 12k.
Opt for gear cycles since it helps a lot on elevated roads. Even if you are traveling on tarmac , indian roads are not decently leveled. You will find it difficult to ride on a non geared cycle.

3. Type
There are many cycles type like mountain bikes , hybrid and road bikes. Search a bit more and check yourself what suits your need.

I preferred mountain bikes since it's good for the pothole riddled roads and has fat tyres plus front suspension.

4. Price
A basic geared cycle starts from 8000rs and goes in lakhs.
Buy a decent budget cycle which consists of atleast Shimano Gears (tourney is basic , then comes altus and then acera), have front suspension and dual disc brakes (normal v brakes doesn't work in rains)

5. Brand vs non Brand.

There are many cycles available in the market and you will get confused which one to buy.
There are many good reputed brand like Raleigh , Frog, B-twin etc which charge a premium but are good to ride.
Buying a non branded bike doesn't mean it's not good. You can get much better specifications in a non Brand bike at cheaper rates.

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member
Because of new cycling craze the entire cycle invention went dry within a month. The closure of factories and the hold of Chinese imports are to be blamed too.

So when I went to the largest cycle market in Asia ie The jhandewala cycle market , I couldn't find a single bicycle there. All that left was kid's cycles.

Went to the nearest cycle Store and he only had 1 cycle which I had already shortlisted. Looking at the situation I bought it without bargain ( he did gave me 2000rs off)

1. Hercules Hank
IMG_20200720_094239.jpg

A 17" Frame , 27.5" tyres geared cycle fitted with Shimano Tourney. The size was perfect for my wife so bought it instantly.
More specifications here Roadeo Hank 27.5T MTB Bike Online Price | Hercules Roadeo Cycles

Bought it for 12000rs.

2. Viva Vb-5525
IMG_20200720_094230.jpg

I was checking online and found this cycle on amazon. I was shocked to see the price of the cycle in a good way. This cycle is loaded and yet it costed so less.

At 17500 rupees I got Shimano Acera with branded Everything [lol]
Look for the specs here in the product images
Viva

Paid 500rs for fitting from a nearby cycle Store.

It became unavailable as soon as I ordered. Believe me when I say you won't get these specs at this price in any other brand.

Last edited:

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member
Now come time for accesories. I bought only the necessary accesories.

1. Bottle holder - 50rs
2. Basic Bell - 50rs
3. A good quality number lock - 300rs
4. Lights for safety
The front light and the rear big light costed 1000rs and the small red one costed 200rs. Very important if you wish to ride in the evening.
IMG_20200720_094917.jpg

IMG_20200720_094913.jpg

IMG_20200720_094903.jpg

Watch them in action
Really good bright lights with multiple modes.

5. Helmets
I wouldn't ride without buying a proper helmet. So bought this Hyride helmets at 800rs each matching the color of cycles.
Good build quality and lightweight.
IMG_20200720_094257.jpg
IMG_20200720_094309.jpg
IMG_20200720_094245.jpg

6. Rear view mirrors. 300rs. Will upload pics when I install them.

7. Seat Gel cover - yet to arrive but do buy it.

Last edited:

Top Bottom