Get Brand New Cars' Inspection Done Without Driving To RTO

Thread Starter #1
Now there is no need of rash driver to drive rash to RTO office. Here come a good news that the vehicles can be checked in showroom itself. This may safe time.

MUMBAI: Car dealers will not be required to bring brand new cars or two-wheelers for inspections to the RTO premises; inspections can now be done in the showroom itself, sources have said. This could be good news for car buyers as it may expedite the vehicle's delivery schedule. 

"The special service will be provided for a nominal charge and will not only save the car dealer time and fuel, but will also ensure there is no over-crowding of new vehicles at the RTO," said transport commissioner V N More. The objective is to decongest RTO premises and use the open space primarily for driving tests.

More added that dealers can approach the local RTO directly to request for an inspector visit to the showrooms. But the service requires that there be a minimum of 10 cars or 20 two-wheelers at the showroom. "If there are few cars, we will not be able to spare our inspectors. The dealer needs to have at least ten orders for cars before placing his request at the local RTO," More said. 

The inspection involves noting the chassis number, checking manufacturers' documents, the tint on glass as per SC norms, checking the vehicle's engine and make and verifying customs duty and taxes. "Data provided by the dealer is verified by the inspector and a number is allotted for payment of taxes," said an official. Taxes, however, are collected at the RTO. The inspector will also send the data online to the RTO to initiate issuance of RC books to be sent to the dealer/owner. 

"This scheme will help the the RTO be decongested of cars as we not have adequate parking," RTO inspector Sachin Kotapkar said.

'Dealers can get vehicles checked in showroom' - TOI Mobile | The Times of India Mobile Site

Last edited:
Great initiative !! This is already there in Delhi and should be easily adopted in most cities. It saves time for registration and reduces chances of those nightmarish dents on new cars !!

It can save rash driving by the driver of the car to RTO. They really rip through the road. Your odo reading will be less at least the dealer can not give the RTO excuse in case of more odo reading. I wonder whether the RTO officer will come on their own or dealer has to grease them for that.

I don't know whether this rule is there in bangalore, at the time of delivery of my car the oddo has hardly 2 kms of increase with that of reading at the time of pre registration inspection.

On asking SE, he informed " sir we don't need to take the car to RTO for registration, we have understanding with RTO person" . Don't know what type of understanding [;)]

I don't see what's so great in this. This is the standard procedure in Goa since 1989. As soon as the dealer receives a stock of vehicles, the RTO inspector comes over and inspects all the vehicles and takes the pencil impression of the Engine/Chassis/VIN number and signs the form (Form 20). When you buy the vehicle, the dealer completes your details. You (or the dealer/agent) take it to the RTO office along with the invoices, insurance, proof of residence etc. and get the vehicle registered. Take the receipt to the Dealer, Fit the number plate and drive home. Then collect the RC book from the RTO when it's ready. As simple as that. I think that's the procedure in the MV act too.

No it is not the standard. I have seen all the time vehicle has to travel to the door step of the RTO, then whatever procedure you mentioned will be followed.

Top Bottom