General Queries Of New Car & Bike Buyers

350Z

Core Team
Re: Few questions before I buy my first car

Vibhor, please elaborate about these nuts in detail.
Gorilla is a well-known brand of aftermarket lug nuts. You can find out more info on their website. I’m not sure about its availability in India though.

Gorilla-Lug-Nuts.jpg

Drive Safe,
350Z

Re: Few questions before I buy my first car

Congrats on Figo. Yours would be the first facelifted Figo on our forum. Don’t forget to share an ownership review.
Thanks for giving such a detailed reply 350Z.

I hope that mine will be first because today I visited Ford dealership and they are saying that kinetic blue will take around 2 months for delivery [cry]
This is pathetic, they launched it couple of weeks back and dealerships are saying this kind of thing. [frustration]

I am really relaxed to hear that Kinetic blue will be easier to maintain because before I was thinking that it will be difficult.

My car will be parked in front of my house where we get direct sunlight for 4-5 hours daily, so I am planning for car cover, I will keep the car covered when required. I hope that this will help me reduce the sunlight effect.

I am not able to find them online for India but I will try and ask in motor market. Thanks for giving a useful advise on safety for wheels

Ad!tya

Suspended
Re: General Doubts of New Car Buyers & Owners

@350z, I also think that they will not be available in India. Well, I will ask for them this weekend from the aftermarket accessory shops.[:)]

Do you have any assumption for the price of the same?

Some basic Queries

Hello all,

I got my Ford Figo 11 months back and done 15k by now. I do have some basic queries regarding engine and body which I want to ask from all experts here. This is my first car so I don't know much about some basic things.

1. Color of my figo is blue so its hard to maintain, I am planning to get my car washed by servant who comes in our society for washing cars. Which product should I provide him to wash my car 2 days a week? I don't want him to use a normal shampoo.

2. Is it bad to drive my car with open windows? I heard that its bad for dashboard due to pollution and all. I don't want to use AC as winters are starting.

3. Can I go for 15" tyres with alloys? I heard that increasing from 14" could be harmful. I do city driving, highway drives and hilly drives too.

4. What could be the process of a normal washing? Wash + wax + polish or just wash + wax? [confused]

5. My one wiper blade is making noise, do I need to replace those wiper blades? Just after 11 months? [surprise]

6. What could be the best way to defog windshield in winters? Except using AC on windshield, I tried changing normal airflow from internal to external which helped sometime but not every time.

I really hope to get some great help here. I am trying to learn every small to big thing so that I can manage my car well in coming time. [:)]

Thanks all..

Re: Some basic Queries

Answers :

1.Scratches ans swirl marks would show up very easily on blue colour. Get him a Jopasu Duster (Rs. 450). Ask him to wipe the car with the Duster before he starts to wipe/water it. No need of any shampoo-vampoo, just use plain water that isn't hard; though if you do want to use a shampoo, buy a Formula 1 Carnauba Wash and Wax. Rs. 180 for 200ml or so.

2. Not bad. Just wipe the dashboard often to disperse dust.

3. Stick with OEM wheel size. Use 14 inch alloys if you want.

4. Wash+Wax/Polish. Do not wash/wax/polish under sunlight.

5. Change the wiper blade. Rubber gets hardened and brittle when exposed to the elements. 11 months or 11 years is immaterial.

6. Use AC on the windshield. Why do you require a physics breakthrough for such a simple job?

Regards,
Sam

My inputs shown in bold

Hello all,

I got my Ford Figo 11 months back and done 15k by now. I do have some basic queries regarding engine and body which I want to ask from all experts here. This is my first car so I don't know much about some basic things.

1. Color of my figo is blue so its hard to maintain, I am planning to get my car washed by servant who comes in our society for washing cars. Which product should I provide him to wash my car 2 days a week? I don't want him to use a normal shampoo.

There are lots of good options available in aftermarket like Formula-1 car wash

2. Is it bad to drive my car with open windows? I heard that its bad for dashboard due to pollution and all. I don't want to use AC as winters are starting.

Its true that if you drive with your windows open the chances of dust accumulating on the interiors will be high. Since you wash your car twice a week make it a point to clean the interiors as well else you can drive with windows half closed or windows closed with only blower running.

3. Can I go for 15" tyres with alloys? I heard that increasing from 14" could be harmful. I do city driving, highway drives and hilly drives too.

This need not be an issue, there are plenty of Figo owners plying on roads with 15" tyres with alloys. Our fellow TAI Figo owners could guide you better

4. What could be the process of a normal washing? Wash + wax + polish or just wash + wax? [confused]

Normal washing is enough, go for waxing once in 6 months.

5. My one wiper blade is making noise, do I need to replace those wiper blades? Just after 11 months? [surprise]

Change it asap. Most of the wiper blades are made of ordinary rubber and need replacement once in 12 months, go for silicon based blades which will have more lifespan. Go for wiper blades from Bosch, Hella etc which are quite reliable.

6. What could be the best way to defog windshield in winters? Except using AC on windshield, I tried changing normal airflow from internal to external which helped sometime but not every time.

Sorry buddy i dont have much inputs on this

I really hope to get some great help here. I am trying to learn every small to big thing so that I can manage my car well in coming time. [:)]

Thanks all..

Hi Rahul - My comments are inline.

Hello all,

Firstly, I am not supportive to employ someone to clean the car for many reasons. Doing it ourselves is the best choice. Anyways, it's a personal choice. However, handing expensive carcare products to such cleaners isn't wise. Eg: In our apt, the security guy who cleans some of the cars. One of the owner had given him a Chamios Cloth (Rs. 250-500) & Amway Shampoo (About Rs. 400+) for cleaning his car and this guys is using the same for all other cars he is cleaning [lol]. That car owner bought that Chamios after seeing mine and inquiring from me and this guy is so happy and claiming it to me that, cleaning car with this cloth is so very quick and makes my job so easy. Thus he is using the same for all other cars. So, for that reason, can you give him just a normal cloth which can leave swirls / scratches in your own car? Catch 22! Likewise, there are many such issues. Anyways, to answer your question, shampoo wash isn't required all the time. For every day or once in 2 days, use a normal sponge and wet wipe the whole car with a bucket of water. Then, use a Wet & "Squeezed" Chamios / Micro Fiber Cloth to dry out the car. Shampoo wash can be given once a week or two weeks depending on the usage and abuse.

The other best option is to go waterless. Buy a Duster (Jopasu) to dry dust the car everyday and use a Wet & "Squeezed" Chamios / Micro Fiber Cloth to wipe the car as needed. This is the best quick, easy and efficient.

Depending on the speeds. In city, it brings in a lot of dust and pollution, which isn't good not only for the car but also for you. Rather, see if you can keep the window about 80-90% closed, if you are comfortable. Otherwise, you can keep it closed and use A/C intermittently. In Highways with speed more than 60-70 KMPH, keeping the windows down would cause more air drag. This would cause discomfort to the passengers in terms of wind blow, sound etc.

Upsizing to 15" isn't recommended by experts due to many reasons including ride quality. If needed for sure, you need to consider many factors and mainly ET. Talk to experts on this before you would go for one. Tyre Upsizing, Tyre Upsizing Calculator, Tyre Upgrade, Upgrading tyres, Michelin Tyre dealer in chennai, Authorised Michelin Tyre dealer in chennai, Michelin India, Michelin Tyres, tyrestore chennai This link will help for some first hand information. As per them, any upsize beyond +/- 2% in OD isn't recommended.

BTW, any particular reason for the upsize? I believe, 14" is decent for Figo.

4. What could be the process of a normal washing? Wash + wax + polish or just wash + wax?

Wash - Wax - Polish is the right way. Basically, Wax & Polish are one in the same. After washing the car, you need to dry it up, apply wax all over the painted portions and polish/rub it smoothly with microfiber cloth. That's polishing to give that wax to shine.

5. My one wiper blade is making noise, do I need to replace those wiper blades? Just after 11 months?

Possible. Is it leaving trail while wiping? Then it must have gone. Can't say about the life of the wipers. If you had used it on dry/dusty windshield for at least once, that could be enough for the wiper to be damaged. Remember, Figo has LHS driving controls [frustration] and we have been used for RHS. So, than once, we could have abused the wiper/windshield many times rather.

To what I know, AC is the best. It works in seconds.

I really hope to get some great help here. I am trying to learn every small to big thing so that I can manage my car well in coming time.

Thanks all..

Answers :

1.Scratches ans swirl marks would show up very easily on blue colour. Get him a Jopasu Duster (Rs. 450). Ask him to wipe the car with the Duster before he starts to wipe/water it. No need of any shampoo-vampoo, just use plain water that isn't hard; though if you do want to use a shampoo, buy a Formula 1 Carnauba Wash and Wax. Rs. 180 for 200ml or so.

2. Not bad. Just wipe the dashboard often to disperse dust.

3. Stick with OEM wheel size. Use 14 inch alloys if you want.

4. Wash+Wax/Polish. Do not wash/wax/polish under sunlight.

5. Change the wiper blade. Rubber gets hardened and brittle when exposed to the elements. 11 months or 11 years is immaterial.

6. Use AC on the windshield. Why do you require a physics breakthrough for such a simple job?

Regards,
Sam
Thanks for your reply Sam. I will keep these things in mind. In regards to windshied cleaning, use of AC makes us shiver in the winters of North Region. I was trying some alternative by playing with air flow [;)]

Hi Rahul - My comments are inline.
Thanks for such a detailed reply Figoian.

I have to opt for washing person because I have to park my car outside my home (near road) which makes it dusty every day. I am getting it washed only 2 days a week and as you said, I will get the shampoo wash only once a week.

I always keep my windows close during highway drives. But, I do need to keep it open sometime (25%) during city drive. Is it ok if I regularly clean dashboard and other areas? [confused]

I am very confused about upsizing to 15" because some experts saying its ok and others saying its bad. I saw figo's with 15" and they look awesome in front of 14". If there is any possible drawback of choosing 15" over 14" then please let me know.

Left wiper is leaving trails but the right one is fine. You are very right about LHS controls, I have done that mistake number of times in the beginning [frustration]. I will changes the wipers asap. [:)]

Last edited by a moderator:

Thanks for such a detailed reply Figoian.

I always keep my windows close during highway drives. But, I do need to keep it open sometime (25%) during city drive. Is it ok if I regularly clean dashboard and other areas?

I am very confused about upsizing to 15" because some experts saying its ok and others saying its bad. I saw figo's with 15" and they look awesome in front of 14". If there is any possible drawback of choosing 15" over 14" then please let me know.

Left wiper is leaving trails but the right one is fine. You are very right about LHS controls, I have done that mistake number of times in the beginning [frustration]. I will changes the wipers asap.
No issues about keeping the windows open, however, it's a quite laborious to clean the interiors and it should be done frequently. You may try some Dashboard cleaners to keep it neat. I have been using Vista, it's quite good and shiny. But the issue is, it will attract more dust... [lol] Apart from Dashboard, seats do attract dust and if it's fabric, then it's close to impossible to clean. Leather/Rexin are better and easy to clean. Other critical areas are Carpet and Roof, they are the worst places to clean. Vacuum Cleaners can help here, but not to perfection. Easy solution is to do Vinyl / PVC Flooring / Roofing, that doesn't attracts dust and even if it would, cleaning is just a wipe away.

In my personal opinion, upsizing tyres just for looks isn't recommendable.

No issues about keeping the windows open, however, it's a quite laborious to clean the interiors and it should be done frequently. You may try some Dashboard cleaners to keep it neat. I have been using Vista, it's quite good and shiny. But the issue is, it will attract more dust... [lol] Apart from Dashboard, seats do attract dust and if it's fabric, then it's close to impossible to clean. Leather/Rexin are better and easy to clean. Other critical areas are Carpet and Roof, they are the worst places to clean. Vacuum Cleaners can help here, but not to perfection. Easy solution is to do Vinyl / PVC Flooring / Roofing, that doesn't attracts dust and even if it would, cleaning is just a wipe away.

In my personal opinion, upsizing tyres just for looks isn't recommendable.
Is there is any drawback of upsizing to 15"??

What first time car owner should know??

I recently bought a car, I am first time owning the car. So, I don't have much experience about what kind of information I should keep handy.

What kind of contact number shall I need to store for urgent use??

What should I know while driving for long drive??

Can anyone guide me, please.

PS: I own Honda Brio S

What first time car owner should know??

Hi hardst0ne. Congrats on your Brio S! I really appreciate your decision of buying the Brio S as your first car.

One tip I would like to give you is to switch off the headlights (or turn to parking position) before cranking with the headlights on. Otherwise, it puts strain on the battery. I mentioned this because, being a new driver, you would at times stall the car during night drives in slow moving traffic.

Also, make a habit of warming up the car instead of getting on the road instantly after the crank, especially during cold starts.

Things you should keep in the car-

1. Necessary documents (Pollution certificate, RC, Driving license, Insurance papers)
2. User Manual of the car
3. Phone numbers of the RSA (if you've opted for) and Helpline numbers
4. Number of your local mechanic, electrician and some known petrolheads
5. Numbers of known TAI members, who will always be more than happy to help

For long drives, you should check the tyre pressure (preferably at home; as the pressure increases when the tyres heat up) and match it with the company provided pressures (given on the inside of driver side door). Make sure the fluids are topped up and all the basic electricals (horn, wipers, etc.) and lights (headlight, fog lamp taillamp and blinkers) are working. Warm up the car (at idle RPM) for 2-3 minutes before moving. Also, look for any warning signs on the meter console before setting off!

Punto8090.

Re: What first time car owner should know??

Congrats Sarad for your new ride! Wish you many many happy miles ahead with Brio.

Whatever Nalin has said are to be followed religiously.

Regarding long drive, I have a suggestion for you. Don't go for long drive until you consider yourself as a seasoned driver. This will provide all the required safety measures associated with highway, be it a breakdown assistance needed or driving responsibly to avoid accidents etc.

Few more piece of advice:

1. Do not drink and drive. I know it's obvious but how many people follows it? I think all of us have driven after drinking at least once/twice. If you can't avoid that situation, make sure that you are not at all under the influence of alcohol.
2. Do not use mobile phone while driving, use bluetooth handsfree instead. I know in B'lore bluetooth is banned, but I personally don't think that it's risky to just pick up the call and say "I'm driving, 'll get back to you ASAP." Do not keep on talking even using bluetooth since your mind may be somewhere else while driving.
3. For adjusting music system etc. make sure that you are not seeing the road but seeing somewhere else for less than one second at a max speed of 40 kmph and the road is not at all congested, otherwise, stop your car, do whatever you want and then start again.

Hope this helps!

Last edited:

Top Bottom