General Queries Of New Car & Bike Buyers

What is the importance of alloy wheels in cars. I have recently purchased i 10 sportz model but i think alloy wheel is not there. Does alloy wheel make any difference in driving? What is the price difference between alloy wheel & ordinary wheels?

What is boot release in cars .what does it means. What is internal & external boot release?please explain with examples?

Last edited by a moderator:
Torque and boot space

What is torque and what does numbers in torque indicate? What is boot space in cars which i saw in research section of automotive india also . What is interior & exterior boot space? Please explain with examples. What is importance of torque?

350Z

Core Team
Re: General Doubts of New Car Buyers & Owners

What is the importance of alloy wheels in cars. I have recently purchased i 10 sportz model but i think alloy wheel is not there. Does alloy wheel make any difference in driving? What is the price difference between alloy wheel & ordinary wheels?
This link has a detailed discussion on same: http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...ations/9367-what-advantages-alloy-wheels.html.

What is boot release in cars .what does it means. What is internal & external boot release?please explain with examples?
Simple. External boot release means the boot has to be unlocked from outside (using a key) while in rest, the boot can be unlocked with tap of a button from inside.

What is boot space in cars which i saw in research section of automotive india also . What is interior & exterior boot space?
Boot space is the cargo area normally at the back of a car. It's measured in liters because it has no definite shape whatsoever.

What is torque and what does numbers in torque indicate? What is importance of torque?
In layman terms, torque can be said as pulling power in a car. The numbers (Eg: 200 Nm @ 4000 RPM) means the engine produces 200 Nm of torque at 4000 RPM.

PS: RPM (revolutions per minute) is the speed at which the engine is operating. You will find following links useful:

> http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/forums/technical-zone/6767-power-vs-torque.html

> http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/forums/technical-zone/456-how-read-engine-specifications.html

> http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...t-different-horsepower-what-s-difference.html

Drive Safe,
350Z

The numbers (Eg: 200 Nm @ 4000 RPM) means the engine produces 200 Nm of torque at 4000 RPM. NOW WHAT DOES 200 NM MEANS . WHAT IS FULL FORM OF Nm. IF ENGINE PRODUCES HIGHER Nm what does it means?WHAT IS RELATIONSHIP OF 200Nm & 4000 RPM. PLEASE EXPLAIN WITH EXAMPLES?

What does cc in car engines denote. Higher cc means what more fuel consumption . Please explain how engine capacity is measured with reference to torque.

Re: Car engines

Engine displacement is the volume swept by all the pistons inside the cylinders of a reciprocating engine in a single movement from top dead centre (TDC) to bottom dead centre (BDC). It is commonly specified in cubic centimetres (cc or cm3), litres (l), or (mainly in North America) cubic inches (CID).

Displacement is a basic fundamental of engine design, whereas power output depends a great deal on other factors, particularly on how the car manufacturer has tuned the engine from new.

Source: Wikipedia

Re: Torque

The SI unit for torque is the newton metre (N·m).

Torque is the tendency of a force to rotate an object about an axis, fulcrum, or pivot. Just as a force is a push or a pull, a torque can be thought of as a twist to an object.

Loosely speaking, torque is a measure of the turning force on an object such as a bolt or a flywheel. For example, pushing or pulling the handle of a wrench connected to a nut or bolt produces a torque (turning force) that loosens or tightens the nut or bolt.

Torque is part of the basic specification of an engine: the power output of an engine is expressed as its torque multiplied by its rotational speed of the axis. Internal-combustion engines produce useful torque only over a limited range of rotational speeds (typically from around 1,000–6,000 rpm for a small car). The varying torque output over that range can be measured with a dynamometer, and shown as a torque curve.

Source: Wikipedia

The numbers (Eg: 200 Nm @ 4000 RPM) means the engine produces 200 Nm of torque at 4000 RPM. NOW WHAT DOES 200 NM MEANS . WHAT IS FULL FORM OF Nm. IF ENGINE PRODUCES HIGHER Nm what does it means?WHAT IS RELATIONSHIP OF 200Nm & 4000 RPM. PLEASE EXPLAIN WITH EXAMPLES?

What does cc in car engines denote. Higher cc means what more fuel consumption . Please explain how engine capacity is measured with reference to torque.
Let me start with the torque thing:

Just made a quick design in Catia and I guess it will be enough it explain it all:
gear.png

Unit of force is Newton(N) and unit of distance is metre(m) and since torque is force*perpendicular distance, so the unit becomes Nm or Newton meter.

If an engine produces higher Nm that means it produces a higher torque but the numbers always say half story as its equally important to know of the engine speed/RPM the torque is being produced.
Example: 320Nm@1750-3500 rpm
This means that the engine with above rating has a torque spread of around 320 Nm all the way from 1750 to 3500 rpm.

Look at this curve(Red is power and Green is torque):
test.JPG

This is the curve for a turbo diesel(Cruze to be precise) with performance mods done. The curves showing lower values(of both red and green) are of stock car while the ones showing higher values are after the mods done.

Now look at the torque curve and you will understand the variation of the torque with engine RPM.

Now check the peak torque and the rpm we are getting the peak torque at and you will understand from where those ratings do come.

Higher cc means the engine can have enough power even while running under natural aspiration that it can take most of the roads and hence such engines require lesser amount of forced induction using a turbocharger or supercharger.

Turbocharging means:
Forced induction: You force higher amount of air into the cylinder for more efficient burning.
AFR: Air-Fuel ratio, it is the unitary(taken into units) ratio between air and fuel. Example: 1:16 AFR means one unit of fuel is mixed with 16 units of air.

HIGHER CC:
Higher displacement engines need lesser forced induction to produce more power and torque as compared to the lower displacement(cc) engines and hence they require 'smaller'(won't go deep into it) turbochargers.
Lower CC:
Just opposite of what is written above.

Hence there is no rule that higher displacement engine will be a fuel guzzler and lower one will be efficient.

What AFR does?
Higher induction means higher pressure, which means higher amount of air per unit volume. Higher amount of air means higher amount of fuel required to maintain the right AFR and hence higher fuel consumption.
Adding to it gearbox and the ECU map also plays a vital role in the way fuel is consumed.

It's a lot to explain and will get you slept if I open it all now. I hope this was useful BTW.

Torque is the tendency of a force to rotate an object about an axis, fulcrum, or pivot. Just as a force is a push or a pull, a torque can be thought of........
Let me start with the torque thing:

It's a lot to explain and will get you slept....
Some simple stuff by the ultimo Dilip Bam:

Torque is like an elephant and BHP is like a Cheetah.

A Cheetah, which weighs 50 kg, can run at 120 kph (bhp) but you cannot ride it. It does not have the carrying capacity (Torque). An elephant can carry 20 people, (high torque) but cannot run faster than 40 kph.

Some simple stuff by the ultimo Dilip Bam:

Torque is like an elephant and BHP is like a Cheetah.

A Cheetah, which weighs 50 kg, can run at 120 kph (bhp) but you cannot ride it. It does not have the carrying capacity (Torque). An elephant can carry 20 people, (high torque) but cannot run faster than 40 kph.
Sirji I do agree but still this is half of the story IMO because:

Without enough of the torque available, the cheetah can neither carry the load, nor it can reach the top speed.

For an engine:
Without enough of the torque,neither it can pull, nor it can reach the point of maximum power under load conditions. Something that we observe in overdrive gears where the engine is simply unable to go above some specific revs.

How to use clutch pedal

I am driving new i 10 i want to know how much to press clutch pedal at the time of change of gear and when to leave clutch pedal after gear is changed.when the car is at gear no 2 shall i release full clutch pedal or hold the half clutch model. Please reply immediately.

Re: How to use clutch pedal

In a modern car with a synchromesh gearbox, you should always press the clutch fully while changing gears to avoid damage to the transmission. Only release the clutch after you have put the car in the next gear.

Use of clutch pedal & gears

I am driving i 10 . I want to know can i drive my car in gear no 2 during traffic jams ,i want to ask how much cltch pedal to press when the car is stopped. I continously drive in gear 2 > is it safe to drive car at gear no 2

Since cars vary a lot, it would be unethical for me to make that decision for you. You need to be able to feel the engine and respond accordingly. If the engine is struggling to pick up or feels like it wants to stall, shift into 1st gear.

When stopped, shift into neutral or fully press the clutch. Otherwise clutch slip can wear out the clutch plates.

Basically, try to avoid situations with half-pressed clutch as much as possible.

I am driving i 10 hyundai . I want to know how will i know that the steering is to the left or right .is there any any sign on steering which indicates that steering is now to left or right or centre . Please help me

Top Bottom