Garmin Nuvi 40 LM Review: Your Personal Navigator

I checked it in the basement parking today. As expected, it didn’t received the satellite signals there.

Drive Safe,
350Z
Yes it won't work in the tunnels and the parking lots in the basements. I have used quite a few different gps systems and most of them don't work in the basement parking lots or tunnels. Even the integrated ones on the accord, Audi a4, etc don't work sometimes in a tunnel.

I make a couple of trips to New York from DC, so while entering NY you go through a tunnel which is under water so none of these gps work there. But one time surprisingly my Garmin was working there and I had no clue HOW??[sleep][surprise]

Thread Starter #32

350Z

Core Team
I make a couple of trips to New York from DC, so while entering NY you go through a tunnel which is under water so none of these gps work there. But one time surprisingly my Garmin was working there and I had no clue HOW??
Perhaps that was a saved (favourite) route? I was also surprised that my GPS worked in underpass but not in the basement.

Drive Safe,
350Z

Unfortunately the models 40LM & 50 LM are not available in Kolkata. I have already tried a few shops.
HI contact Siddharth of garmin @ 9650658880. Iv spoken to him as Im interested in the 2565LM model. He can ship it to kolkata. Since there are no dealers here, he can give us a diret discount since there is no dealer margin. This along with free shipping will sweaten the deal

350Z, Congrats on your latest purchase. I had a few querries
> Did you consider TomTom too before buying?
> Apart from Lifetime free maps, is there any compelling reason to go for garmin? I mean MMI & Tomtom are huge brands in itself.
> I would be glad if you could check how well Kolkata is covered in your particular model as Im a little worried regarding how extensive their coverage would be since they have no dealers here as well as service backup. It seems they are more focussed on Mumbai, Delhi & NCR.
Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Thread Starter #34

350Z

Core Team
> Did you consider TomTom too before buying?
Yes. I considered TomTom too but there were a few main reasons for not going ahead:

> The free maps are available only for 1 Year.

> I am doubtful about their service support and map coverage.

> The basic model is priced at Rs.9,999 that was beyond my budget.

> Apart from Lifetime free maps, is there any compelling reason to go for garmin? I mean MMI & Tomtom are huge brands in itself.
Price. :smile: I had a limited budget of Rs.8,000. So the main contenders were MMI and Garmin. This device turned out to be more VFM considering the overall aspects.

> I would be glad if you could check how well Kolkata is covered in your particular model as Im a little worried regarding how extensive their coverage would be since they have no dealers here as well as service backup. It seems they are more focussed on Mumbai, Delhi & NCR.
I have absolutely no idea about Kolkata. Just let me know the name of some reasonably remote location so that I can give it a shot.

Drive Safe,
350Z

I have thought to ask this silly question from the begining but I could not dare to ruin the beauty of this thread but now I couldnt bear it.

how different and versatile is this dedicated gps device compared to a mobile phone gps.
With my phone gps only experience it has always served me well in case of online free download from ovi or online internet update.

I think I may be missing something

please do enlighten. Possibly in a comparitive way which a phone cannot do but this dedicated unit can.
Thanks in advance

I have thought to ask this silly question from the begining but I could not dare to ruin the beauty of this thread but now I couldnt bear it.

how different and versatile is this dedicated gps device compared to a mobile phone gps.
With my phone gps only experience it has always served me well in case of online free download from ovi or online internet update.

I think I may be missing something

please do enlighten. Possibly in a comparitive way which a phone cannot do but this dedicated unit can.
Thanks in advance
Hi
350Z could throw more light on this. My observations are as under:
> Screen much larger so its easier to view
> Interface is friendly & buttons large, easier to type
> Serves as a multipurpose device. Some units support FM, Reverse camera monitor, can also be used as a picture viewer/music/video player too, some units support bluetooth handsfree calling.
> provides voice guidance & the TomTom devices support voice inputs too

These are some differences which come to my mind, apart from a feel good factor of having the device & showing it off to your friends

Thread Starter #37

350Z

Core Team
how different and versatile is this dedicated gps device compared to a mobile phone gps. With my phone gps only experience it has always served me well in case of online free download from ovi or online internet update.
You have a valid question. Using mobile phones for navigation might be a suitable option for occasional travelers. Although I still find a dedicated GPS device to be much better choice to serve serious navigation requirements. It’s like asking why people still purchase digital cams when almost every mobile phone comes equipped with one.

350Z could throw more light on this. These are some differences which come to my mind, apart from a feel good factor of having the device & showing it off to your friends
You have covered a few very important aspects. I would also like to add that using GPS on phones could result in hefty bills on a long trip. Plus, the inconvenience of not being able to use the phone while it’s at work. The modern smart phones also have lesser battery life and at the same price of a cheapest smart phone – You now get a dedicated GPS Device in India. :smile:

Drive Safe,
350Z

You have covered a few very important aspects. I would also like to add that using GPS on phones could result in hefty bills on a long trip. Plus, the inconvenience of not being able to use the phone while it’s at work. The modern smart phones also have lesser battery life and at the same price of a cheapest smart phone – You now get a dedicated GPS Device in India. :smile:

Drive Safe,
350Z
not at all, sygic does not need internet access, maps are stored on the sd card for offline use. and you can receive calls while using it.

you should try this on your android, download everything first via wifi to save on data cost.
14 DAYS TRIAL
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.sygic.aura&feature=more_from_developer

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.sygic.aura_mmi&hl=en

You have a valid question. Using mobile phones for navigation might be a suitable option for occasional travelers. Although I still find a dedicated GPS device to be much better choice to serve serious navigation requirements. It’s like asking why people still purchase digital cams when almost every mobile phone comes equipped with one.

Drive Safe,
350Z
Kindly give a convincing answer . I beg you!
It is couple of times I have been dropping those gps devices from my fingertips. one dealer almost billed it but I backed off saying something.

Concerning the display size
1.4inch screen size is not bad for my phone
2.my car have blue n me, so I dont need access the phone at all so map remain on the screen
3.I pre load the map so I dont need the frequent downloads on the go other than position and cordinate
4.car has phone charger which remains connected all the time.
5.I can quickly send my position to my friends over internet or online and ask their advice.that is how we made it through clustered bangalore .
6.gps device is expensive gadget does it justify a purchase considering above? Am I missing anything here?

Last edited:
It is couple of times I have been dropping those gps devices from my fingertips. one dealer almost billed it but I backed off saying something.

2.my car have blue n me, so I dont need access the phone at all so map remain on the screen
3.I pre load the map so I dont need the frequent downloads on the go other than position and cordinate
5.I can quickly send my position to my friends over internet or online and ask their advice.that is how we made it through clustered bangalore .
6.gps device is expensive gadget does it justify a purchase considering above? Am I missing anything here?

thats exactly i was thinking.

a phone is all in one device now. and why to take a GPS as you can use your phone if you are on bike also.

nowadays the phones are equipped with dual cores and quad cores processors and equipped to run almost anything. Even my earlier 500MHz android used to run sygic without any issues. agree that GPS consumes a lot of battery but as you rightly said nowadays cars are equipped with usb ports/ car charges, thus battery consumption is no longer an issue. And then you only need to use GPS when your trying to explore unknown territory even if it is in ur city.

IMHO, buying a separate GPS device is a waste of money when your smart phone can offer the same service FOC.

nowadays the phones are equipped with dual cores and quad cores processors and equipped to run almost anything. Even my earlier 500MHz android used to run sygic without any issues. agree that GPS consumes a lot of battery but as you rightly said nowadays cars are equipped with usb ports/ car charges, thus battery consumption is no longer an issue. And then you only need to use GPS when your trying to explore unknown territory even if it is in ur city.

IMHO, buying a separate GPS device is a waste of money when your smart phone can offer the same service FOC.
Totally agree with you buddy! I had almost purchased a PND when google announced it's free navigation in India, tried it and liked it. So, plans for a PND have been put on hold.

freakdude.

Navigation using mobile depends on Signal strength on your mobile. Most of the times on a long ride you wont be able to navigate if there is no signal.

GPS device is more handy in such situations. Smartphones cannot replace each and everything.

Navigation using mobile depends on Signal strength on your mobile.
lmao, this is the best joke i;ve heard for a while.

GPS, in and of itself, does not require a phone service. It uses the satellites in orbit to determine your location. All you need is a clear, unobstructed view of the sky for it to work properly.

Google Maps requires a Data Connection because of the design of the application. It downloads the map information directly and works with the GPS radio to determine your current position on map.

Other GPS based apps, depending on how they are designed, will either make use of or not use of the Data Connection. Generic GPS apps, like telling you coordinate information or compass information will NOT require a data connection, as it is purely reading from the basic GPS, like a hand-held GPS device does.

Last edited:
lmao, this is the best joke i;ve heard for a while.

GPS, in and of itself, does not require a phone service. It uses the satellites in orbit to determine your location. All you need is a clear, unobstructed view of the sky for it to work properly.

Google Maps requires a Data Connection because of the design of the application. It downloads the map information directly and works with the GPS radio to determine your current position on map.

Other GPS based apps, depending on how they are designed, will either make use of or not use of the Data Connection. Generic GPS apps, like telling you coordinate information or compass information will NOT require a data connection, as it is purely reading from the basic GPS, like a hand-held GPS device does.

even google maps also need GPRS only for routing. if you are moving on fix route, then you can download desired map for offline use.

you just need gprs / internet connection for routing maps,so you can deactivate gprs after navigation starts, it will guide you all your way ( if you have downloaded offline maps )
i have tested this method , works fine.[clap]

Top Bottom