Gangotri Darshan From Mumbai in My Black Cheetah: Mahindra XUV500 W6

Thread Starter #1
In May 2017 I had to attend 2 functions one at Haldwani and other at Delhi, thought to take it as an opportunity to drive and cover few other parts of Uttarakhand at the same time. From Mumbai there are two routes to reach North 1) via Ahmedabad & Jaipur and 2) via Indore & Gwalior.

I have driven 2-3 times in the past on Mumbai - Jaipur route this time thought to try Mumbai – Indore – Gwalior route to connect to north. Read few blogs online but could not get much information on route and road condition. Route from Mumbai till Gwalior was planned, for route beyond Gwalior downloaded and saved few maps, thought to decide on which one to take on last moment. Finally below was the plan:

Day 1 – Mumbai – Gwalior
Day 2 – Gwalior – Haldwani
Day 3 – Haldwani – Nainital - Haldwani
Day 4 – Haldwani - Rishikesh
Day 5 – Rishikesh – Harsil (Gangotri)
Day 6 – Harsil – Gangotri - Uttarkashi
Day 7 – Uttarkashi – Chamba - New Tehri - Haridwar
Day 8 – Haridwar - Delhi
Day 9 – Delhi – Chittorgarh
Day 10 – Chittorgarh - Mumbai

Total distance – 4246.9 KM
Total passenger – 2
Vehicle – Mahindra XUV 5OO
ODO – 25989 (approx)
Total fuel – 300 Litre
Fuel average- 14.16 kmpl (60-70% A/C)
Toll: Rs 2949

Day 1 (29 Apr)
Route: Mumbai – Nashik – Dhule – Sendhwa – Indore – Dewas – Bhopal – Vidisha – Kurwai – Bina – Malthone – Lalitpur – Jhansi - Gwalior
Distance: 1215km
Travel Time: 18hrs (including 1.5hrs break)

On Apr 28th attended office, came back home by 8pm on the way back got tank full from nearest petrol pump, had early dinner and went to bed by 11pm. Got up around 2am and after taking shower left home by 2:30am. Mumbai – Nashik is a 4 lane divided highway, roads were empty crossed Kharegaon toll (after Thane on Nashik highway) around 3:05am, after that road was very good and traffic was sparse crossed Nashik (Dwarka circle) by 4:30am. After Nashik, roads were in good condition but had lots of speed breakers, crossed Dhule by 7am, after my last times experience on this route I knew I would not be getting any good restaurants till Indore so kept driving. After Dhule we entered in MP and road was again in very good condition with only difference, no speed breakers in MP. Due to trucks found some traffic on Khalghat, just 30-40km before Indore 2 wheeler traffic started which slowed down speed, finally reached Indore by 10:30am. I was hungry by then hunt for a good restaurant started but I took a right turn towards Dewas, after that it was an excellent 6 lane highway but no restaurants [sad], had some packed fruit cakes and chips as breakfast. Reaching Dewas was breeze, from there took a right turn towards Bhopal, road was 3 lane undivided highway for next 20-30km with no scope for overtaking, again connected to a 4 lane divided highway, road was in decent condition but there were many bikers, finally reached Bhopal around 1pm. By then I was very hungry but there were almost no restaurants on highway, searched Google maps it was suggesting to take a detour and go inside city which I was not interested, finally found a small dhaba, checked it, owner was nice person he arranges a separate place for us and switched on cooler too [glasses]. Food was good had butter milk in the last and we were ready to roll again. Crossed Vidisha in no time from there took a left towards Bina and finally reached Malthone by 4:45pm. Stopped at a tea stall just on the intersection of NH44, cleaned front glass for preparation of night drive. NH44 is a 4 lane divided highway in very good condition but there was lot of 2 wheeler traffic plus cattle, due to which could not maintain good speed. Crossed Lalitpur by 5:45pm and Jhansi by 6:45pm. After Jhansi till Gwalior road was in very bad shape lots of diversions, people were driving like crazy and most of them were using high beam which was making it more difficult to drive, that was the worst section of drive and very stressful, finally reached Gwalior by 8:30pm, stopped on outskirts searched hotel on makemytrip and booked one. Reached hotel by 9pm and retired for the day by 10:30pm. Till now this is my longest drive in a single day, covered 1215km in 18hrs.

route01.JPG

Tropic of Cancer (between Vidisha and Bina)
01.JPG

02.JPG

Butter smooth NH44
04.JPG

Attachments

Last edited:
Thread Starter #3
Day 2 (30 Apr)
Route: Gwalior – Bhind – Etawah – Gursahaiganj – Farrukhabad – Jalalabad - Katra – Bareilly – Kichha - Haldwani
Distance: 460KM
Travel Time: 8:30 hours (including 1:30min break)

Got up by 8:30am, had breakfast at hotel and were ready to leave by 10am. As I was not clear about which route to take for Haldwani (had 3 options), during check-out enquired at reception luckily that guy was aware and suggested me to go via Bhind (even google was showing it as fastest route), I stamped it.

Gwalior is nice city (atleast first impression was good), roads were fine. I continued towards Bhind, road was 3 land undivided highway with decent traffic. Crossed Etawah by 12pm and connected Agra – Luckhnow Expressway, so far this is the best road in India I have driven, I traveled some 55km on it and it was breeze, took an exit towards Gursahaiganj, after that it was 3 lane undivided road for next 10kms passing through villages, stopped at one of the crossing for tea which was served in kulhar. After that road had few diversions but was in decent condition, reached around Bareilly by 3:30pm, found a Reliance petrol pump some 10-15kms before Bareilly, got tank full, it also had a restaurant, we had late lunch there, food was good. After Bareilly road was good it was 4 lane divided highway till Kichha, Kichha to Haldwani, it was 3 lane undivided highway with heavy truck traffic, finally reached Haldwani by 6:30pm, went to relatives place and enjoyed rest of the evening at home.

route02.JPG

Last edited:
Great travelogue in the making,waiting for the updates of day10 Chittorgarh to Mumbai, because i would be doing that route this Christmas.

Thread Starter #5
Day 3 (1 May)
Route: Haldwani – Nainital - Haldwani

Today we had a function to attend in evening, first half of the day was free, planned with cousins to visit Nainital for half day. Haldwani is on the foothills of Nainital, distance between two is around 45km. One of my cousins had got new S-Cross so took his car for this trip. We started little late around 12pm, Haldwani to Nainital is all winding road but was in good condition. Reached Nainital around 1:30pm, parked car at Parking lot near Naina Devi temple. Had late lunch at Boat Club and after spending some good time, started back around 5pm and were back to Haldwani around 6pm.

route03.JPG

On the way to Nainital
01.jpg

02.jpg

Local fruit called KAFAL
03.jpg

04.jpg

05.jpg

06.jpg

07.jpg

08.jpg

09.JPG

10.JPG

Thread Starter #6
Great travelogue in the making,waiting for the updates of day10 Chittorgarh to Mumbai, because i would be doing that route this Christmas.
Thanks, will sure update about Chittor to Mumbai, you may find some details of same route in my previous travelogue here.

Thread Starter #7
Day 4 (2 May)
Route: Haldwani – Kaladungi - Ramnagar – Dhela – Kalagarh – Haridwar - Rishikesh
Distance: 300km
Travel Time: 8.5hrs (including 1.5hrs break)

After breakfast we left Haldwani around 10:30am towards Ramnagar, reached Ramnagar around 12pm, road from Haldwani to Ramnagar was 3 lane undivided highway with decent traffic. After Ramnagar we had planned to take a route which passes inside Jim Corbett National Park it is around 20-30KM of unpaved road inside park, ONLY LOCAL CARS AND DRIVERS ARE ALLOWED. After crossing Ramnagar headed towards Dhela village there is a forest checkpost which has a fee of Rs 20 per car and allow you to drive inside park and exit at Khalghat. After paperwork we were allowed to drive and there was checkpost after every 5kms, so you need to get down and get your documents checked. Road inside was muddy and instructions were to follow trail strictly, we drove very slowly and due to summer heat could only sight deer and monkeys, but it was different experience. We were out at Khalghat exit around 2pm. After that we were back on road picked some speed stopped for lunch around 3pm, all road in between were 3 lane undivided highway, reached Haridwar by 5:30pm, stopped for tea there and finally reached Rishikesh around 7pm, had dinner and call it a day.

route04.JPG

Dhela Forest Checkpost
01.JPG

02.JPG

03.JPG

04.JPG

05.JPG

06.JPG

07.JPG

08.JPG

09.JPG

10.JPG

Last edited:
Thread Starter #9
Day 5 (3 May)
Route: Rishikesh – Narendra Nagar – Chamba – Dharasu – Uttarkashi - Harsil
Distance: 250KM
Travel Time: 8:30 hours (including 1:30min break)

Got up early and left Rishikesh at 6:30am, topped up diesel at Reliance Petrol pump near RTO office. Rishikesh is the last city on planes, it’s on foothills of Himalayas. Roads were empty, started ascent towards Narendra Nagar, I rolled down my side of window, it’s always fun to drive on hilly terrain, I was driving max 40kmph enjoying the nature and scenery, stopped at few places for pics. After driving around 2 hours realized some noise is coming from steering while taking right turn, I became careful and started observing more. After driving some 30min I was confused should I continue or return back to Rishikesh to get the car checked. Found one restaurant and stopped car there, I thought let me take the first look of problem, parked car in an open place ordered Maggie and started torch on phone, moved steering on both the directions and found one of the carpet just above the steering has come-off and while taking right turn nut over steering were getting stuck on carpet which was making noise and vibration on steering [anger], got a cello tape and stick the two corners of carpet together, problem solved [glasses], got all the confidence back. Enjoyed the place and breakfast and continued our journey towards Dharasu.

Dharasu is the junction from where one can take left for Yamunotri and right towards Gangotri. We crossed Uttarkashi around 12pm. Road till Uttarkashi was in good condition, after that road gets narrow and at many places it is difficult for 2 cars to pass, but local drivers are very good and have lots of patience, I think that’s what is needed most to drive in hills. Main climb and narrow road starts after Bhatwari, there were many places where road was almost washed out. As we went ahead it started to drizzle, we stopped many places for pics. Finally reached Harsil around 2:30pm, found a very good resort (Himalayan Nature Resorts) after crossing stream in Harsil village (you need to take right from highway for Harsil), parked car on the otherside as bridge on stream was only for pedestrians. Harsil is an excellent place surrounded by snow clad mountains on all 4 sides. Got fresh, had lunch at resort and went for small trails near resort, at night temperature went almost 0 degree, ours was a wooden log cabin. I would recommend everyone to try this place, its heaven.

route05.JPG

01.JPG

02.JPG

Cheetah enjoying nice sun and view
03.JPG

04.jpg

05.jpg

Uttarkashi
06.jpg

07.jpg

08.jpg

Khedi Waterfall
09.jpg

10.jpg

11.JPG

12.JPG

13.JPG

14.JPG

15.JPG

16.JPG

17.JPG

18.JPG

Himalayan Nature Resorts, Harsil
19.JPG

20.JPG

21.JPG

22.JPG

23.JPG

24.JPG

Last edited:
Thread Starter #10
Day 6 (4 May)
Route: Harsil – Gangotri – Uttarkashi
Distance: 125km
Travel Time: 9hrs (including 3hours break)

Got up early around 6:30am it was freezing cold, could see sun rising, got out of cottage view was mesmerizing, it was clear sky and snow clad mountains all around and on one side it was Gangotri glacier. Clicked few pics, went inside and slept again [;)]. Finally got up again around 9am, had breakfast and got fresh, thought to go for a small trail nearby resort as weather was very clear. Clicked many many pics, finally checked out around 11:30am. Gangotri is around 30km from Harsil, road was narrow and at most of the places it was under construction, we stopped at many places in between for pics finally reached at Gangotri by 12:30pm. Parked car in the temple parking which was around 0.5km from temple (no hike, flat road). As we reached temple found there was long queue and due to ill management some fight for darshan between paid and free members. I tried for some 15min to get the paid ticket for faster darshan, but no luck, finally looking at situation thought to join the long queue. At last cops controlled situation and stopped paid darshan queue, our darshan was done by 2:30pm. After darshan went down to Ganga river collected some water for home. We were very hungry by then found a small dhaba has Maggie and dal rice, it was ok. Left Gangotri by 3:30pm, my target was to reach Uttarkashi. Road was narrow and have to wait at few places for pass. 10km before Uttarkashi there is a village Netala it has some good hotels tried our luck there but due to yatra season all hotels were full, we tried all hotels till Uttarkashi in between but no luck. Finally found one at 8:30pm after crossing Uttarkashi on the other side, that too was last room left. Had dinner and called it a day.

route06.JPG

View from Cottage
01.JPG

02.JPG

03.JPG

04.JPG

05.JPG

06.JPG

07.JPG

08.JPG

09.JPG

10.JPG

11.JPG

12.JPG

13.JPG

On the way towards Gangotri
14.JPG

15.JPG

16.JPG

17.JPG

Road condition between Harsil and Gangotri
18.JPG

19.JPG

20.JPG

21.JPG

22.JPG

Gangotri Temple
24.jpg

25.jpg

26.JPG

Last edited:
Thread Starter #12
Following the thread keenly. I myself am planning a drive to Gangotri later this year. So the thread helps.

Are the hotels in Netala good ?
Netala has a single stretch of 0.5km, some 10-12 hotels are located on it. Hotels are decent and very reasonably priced (~ Rs1200 - 1500). It is very strategic for char dham yatra as after covering Yamunotri you can travel towards Gangotri and stay at Netala, from there Gangotri is 70km (~3-4hrs), after darshan people generally come back and stay here again, and next day start for Kedarnath for which diversion is some 7-8kms towards Uttarkashi. Even the view of Ganga and mountains is good from this place.

Last edited:
Netala has a single stretch of 0.5km, some 10-12 hotels are located on it. Hotels are decent and very reasonably priced (~ Rs1200 - 1500). It is very strategic for char dham yatra as after covering Yamunotri you can travel towards Gangotri and stay at Netala, from there Gangotri is 70km (~3-4hrs), after darshan people generally come back and stay here again, and next day start for Kedarnath for which diversion is some 7-8kms towards Uttarkashi. Even the view of Ganga and mountains is good from this place.
Thanks. I was looking for a place around Sangam chatti / Gangori as I want to trek to Dodital and need a safe place to park my car and also to stay once am back from trek to Dodital. And then on would like to drive to Nelong Valley

Top Bottom