Fuel Efficient Car for Highway Commuting

Thread Starter #1
Hi guys,

i am thinking of buying second hand car around 4L . Its not that i am gona buy car right way but i have driving safari on highway it gives me 13-16 mileage . So i thought why not look for car with better mileage .

Monthly travel would be around 2000+ KM as my new factory in himachal has started running properly .

i need a car with good braking and good build quality as well as comfortable (safari spoiled me [;)])

right now after seeing raj and jayadev punto . i am thinking about it but -ve is less GC(while driving my friend punto i scraped its button in just small uneven path holes ) and single din system . i always wanted double din which i really miss in safari .

any other car i should look

i am just asking suggestion can't promise i will buy but you never know

Hi dude,

Have a look at Fiesta. You get better mileage for sure.
A friend of mine bought a used one for 4.5L and he is happy about it. He is getting around 18+ in highway. Yeah GC will be very less. [;)]

Hi dude,

A friend of mine bought a used one for 4.5L and he is happy about it. He is getting around 18+ in highway. Yeah GC will be very less. [;)]
+1. Go for Fiesta TDCi. You will get a decent one in your budget. Though it wont be as fast as your Safari, but it gives ultimate driving pleasure and comfort.

Okay , used car 4.5L diesel and good FE i can't think of anything other than Verna and Fiesta.

Verna-Even more powerful than your Safari , even though powerful its extremely FE , you can expect 18+ figures easily. But not a great handler , anything above 140kmph will feel scary for the persons sitting inside the car. Extremely refined diesel engine and silent , should remain trouble free if maintained well by the previous owner.

Fiesta- As others said an awesome driver's car. It wont be as quick as your Safari but you will enjoy driving it. Less powerful and so good FE. My friend has a Fiesta and he drive my car once. He said this" Verna is not as exciting to drive as my Fiesta but extremely powerful and amazing pick-up".

On comfort point i think Fiesta has a marginally better cabin and space but only marginal!

So its your choice , if you want your car to be quick and powerful and at the same time FE , Verna is the car for you. If you want a driver's car which handles well , Fiesta then. Both are good cars and has got their own positives and negatives.

Drive both the cars and then decide. I think you will like Verna for its power after driving your Safari beast.

Thread Starter #7
Hi dude,

what about running cost i heard ford is expensive to maintain .

+1. Go for Fiesta TDCi. You will get a decent one in your budget. Though it wont be as fast as your Safari, but it gives ultimate driving pleasure and comfort.
thanks will look for fiesta if i get time

Okay , used car 4.5L diesel and good FE i can't think of anything other than Verna and Fiesta.

Verna-Even more powerful than your Safari , even though powerful its extremely FE , you can expect 18+ figures easily. But not a great handler , anything above 140kmph will feel scary for the persons sitting inside the car. Extremely refined diesel engine and silent , should remain trouble free if maintained well by the previous owner.

Fiesta- As others said an awesome driver's car. It wont be as quick as your Safari but you will enjoy driving it. Less powerful and so good FE. My friend has a Fiesta and he drive my car once. He said this" Verna is not as exciting to drive as my Fiesta but extremely powerful and amazing pick-up".

On comfort point i think Fiesta has a marginally better cabin and space but only marginal!

So its your choice , if you want your car to be quick and powerful and at the same time FE , Verna is the car for you. If you want a driver's car which handles well , Fiesta then. Both are good cars and has got their own positives and negatives.

Drive both the cars and then decide. I think you will like Verna for its power after driving your Safari beast.
its hard to believe that verna can give good FE with that much power in hand . BTW how much does verna give with 100% AC city and highway as you own this beauty .Why 100% AC as i never drive car without AC unless its winter so there is no point of asking FE without AC .

i am guy who don't drive over speed . mostly i drive 100-120 between because according to me this is safest speed on indian highway . But UK and US never driven car below 150 and max. 200 whenever i got chance [evil].

So as long as car has good GC as himachal road is not so good it still lot of road widening work is going on and good FE i don't care its hatch or sedan i will think about it .

Mileage depends on the traffic conditions , for me full city driving 100%AC i get around 12-13kmpl , in highways also 100% AC i get 18+kmpl for speeds in the range of 100-120kmph.

GC both Fiesta and Verna are good enough , i have scraped the bottom only two times so far , my car also travels through the worst possible roads if its going to the construction sites.

You also use your car to carry some items i guess , so i suggest stay away from hatches , you never know when a boot will be useful to you!

Thread Starter #11
ya i carry lot of item around . some day i will click pic of my i10 with item inside it . you will say only one thing why are you using i10 as small truck :biggrin:

Last edited:
well there's no better car then fords ones, they handle best with their cars, fiesta no doubt is drivers car.Diesel Tdci engine gives you aprox 18+ very easily and is good to drive as well.Dont worry about its maintenance, surely is maneagable and at par with safari or even lesser.

Since you prefer to have double din head unit in your car, so two great mile munchers i.e. Punto & Linea get rejected automatically.

Among the rests Fiesta, Verna & i20 CRDI do make a case for themselves. Hyundai 1.4 Crdi is quite a scorcher while Tdci of Ford has almost zero turbo lag and offers better drivability & mileage.

As far as comfort is concerned two things need to be taken care:

1. Suspension system. Here Ford scores over Hyundai. Fiesta's slightly firmer but well damped suspension easily tames road undulation while Verna & i20 offer more bumpy ride specially at rear.

2.Seat comfort & ergonomics: This in my opinion is a subjective thing. I personally feel Fiesta's driver seat needs some more under thigh support. On the other hand, Verna's seats were more comfortable to me. Now the best judge here would be you. I suggest you to personally check out both Fiesta & Verna (also i20 if you don't mind a hatch) to judge the comfort level.

Top Bottom