Fuel Efficiency Figures of Your Cars

Agreed. Getting such mileage at cities like Pune, Delhi, Mumbai, Bangalore is next to impossible.
I get around 19 on highways. But in city, it drastically drops to 11-13 kmpl. ac 100% on.There's so much traffic. You can hardly reach 4th gear. Getting high FE in such stop n go, and stop situations is very difficult.

I agree too. How did he calculate the FE?

And when someone says city, we need to look the traffic situation too. If someone stays in the city but drives in the outskirts of the city where there is no traffic, then there is a good possibility of getting decent FE. But still 22 kmpl seems a bit too much.

My Stats :

Vehicle : Fiat Grande Punto Emotion
Fuel : Diesel
Calculation Method : As indicated by MID info. Resetting each time I refill.
City Mileage : 12-14 with 100% AC.
Highway Mileage : 16-18 again with 100% AC.

Vehicle: 2010 VW Polo HL
Fuel: Petrol
Calculation method: Full tank - to - full tank
City (Bangalore) Mileage:
With AC: 12-13 kmpl
Without AC: 14-15 kmpl
Highway Mileage: (With AC) 18 kmpl on average.
Achieved 21 kmpl last week on way to Tirupathi with mind all set on mileage [clap]
No luggage, only one person drive. Travel time of 3hrs for 220kms

Vehicle: 2006 Bajaj Discover 125 DTS-i
Calculation method: Reserve - to - reserve
City mileage: 48-50 kmpl
Highway mileage: No recent Highway drives
Last was in 2008. Mileage was 55 kmpl.

Vehicle : 06 Honda Civic
Fuel : Petrol
Calculation Method : Full Tank to Full Tank
City Mileage : 30 mpg (11 - 13 kmpl) with 100% A/C On.
Highway Mileage : 38 - 40 mpg (15 - 17 kmpl) with 100% A/C On.

Vehicle: 2010 VW Polo HL
Calculation method: Full tank - to - full tank
City (Bangalore) Mileage:
With AC: 12-13 kmpl
Without AC: 14-15 kmpl
Highway Mileage: (With AC) 18 kmpl on average.
Achieved 21 kmpl last week on way to Tirupathi with mind all set on mileage [clap]
No luggage, only one person drive. Travel time of 3hrs for 220kms
These figures in a petrol engine?? Great! I don't get this even in my diesel car.

Here comes from my side:

Karizma ZMR :
City Mileage : 35-45 KMPL
Highway Mileage : 40-45 KMPL

Activa:
Only city: 45 KMPL

Chevy Spark:
City Mileage: 12-14 KMPL
Highway mileage: 15-17 KMPL

Vehicle: Honda City i-VTEC S MT
Fuel: Normal Petrol (91 RON)
Calculation Method: MID info
City Mileage: 14-15 kmpl
Highway Mileage: 17-19 kmpl

Vehicle:2012 Honda City S MT (3000 kms till now).
Fuel: Petrol.
Calculation Method: MID info.
City Mileage: 11-12 kmpl with 100%AC use and some times runnning engine with AC ON for 45mins-60mins waiting for railway crossing gate to open[frustration].
Highway Mileage: 14-16 kmpl with 100%AC use.

^^Buddy the city mileage of your Swift and bike,both is astonishing.How you manage to get it?
And same is with the highway FE.Again same question.How you manage such astonishing figures which are very hard to digest for at least me?
yeah buddy its true, My average work timings are from 8am - 5.30pm, due to which I find less traffic and I avoid peek rush hours mostly, if you want a great mileage then never put a heavy foot/floor unless you are in a mood for turbo fun above 2k rpm, always think that there's a egg under your accelerator and if you press hard its gonna break [:)] I remove my shoes once inside the car and wear my light bathroom rubber slippers when I drive as I did once when my foot was hurt and swollen, I saw the difference of pressure that is put on the accelerator, even at traffic signals and slow moving traffic keep a little distance between the front vehicle and yours and don't ride the clutch and the torque of Swift diesel is enough to take you through without your foot on the accelerator (I wish we had a dead pedal). Also I am very particular about maintaining the right tyre pressure, I usually travel to my in laws place that's 750 kms from Pune, I again start early at 4am and control my revving if I want a good mileage, I usually don't cross over 80kmph which is safe considering the haphazard single lane highway takes a bit of time at that speed but mileage results are amazing & seriously nowadays its not at all safe to go above 80kmph on our highways due to lack of safety features like air-bags & ABS, even if you have these you never know when a two wheeler / an animal might come out of nowhere on the highways which is real scary. I'm also amazed but the figures are true and I hope they continue the same touch-wood. Even last year when my work location was different used to travel in traffic the figures were somewhere around 17-18kmpl. Also I keep switching off the A/C intermittently while in 1st-2nd-3rd gear to avoid load on the engine as the A/C effect lasts for about 1.5mins after you switch off the A/C. All this might sound a bit strange and too much for you guys but I followed this religiously for 2-3 weeks and results were awesome. And don't ask about my bike its an awesome bike don't know why LML didn't market it, touch-wood till date for the past 11ys of ownership I have just changed the speedometer cables that conk off every now and then, the 100K+ kms that I have clocked till now it still wears the original tyres too, really love this bike which has a lot of plus points maybe a different thread would be required for the same.

Agreed. Getting such mileage at cities like Pune, Delhi, Mumbai, Bangalore is next to impossible.
I get around 19 on highways. But in city, it drastically drops to 11-13 kmpl. ac 100% on.There's so much traffic. You can hardly reach 4th gear. Getting high FE in such stop n go, and stop situations is very difficult.
Agreed but as mentioned above if you are able to start early that helps keeps you relaxed with a calm mind and if you workout in the morning and then leave for work that's even much better as after a great workout and great hot shower you are much more calm and relaxed. Really helps, pls. try it you'll know what I'm saying.

I agree too. How did he calculate the FE?

And when someone says city, we need to look the traffic situation too. If someone stays in the city but drives in the outskirts of the city where there is no traffic, then there is a good possibility of getting decent FE. But still 22 kmpl seems a bit too much.
I calculate it based on the fuel-meter that you have in the car, I remember the line(say point A) at which point it was before filling up the fuel and after filling (say point B), when I usually fill Rs. 500/11litres of diesel and then I set my trip-meter to zero and see how many kms I travel till the pointer comes from point B to point A and usually its around 231-232kms which is easily 231/11=21. I have never tried tankfull method as I never fill tankfull as I just can't spend so much money at once, hurts a lot when you get that debited bank SMS [;)], earlier before marriage I used to just swipe my card and spend recklessly a lot and later realised bank balance is zero, now I'm rebuilding everything, now its a different scenario where salaries have increased but the cost of living has increased 3 times, so need to save. And I guess the figures I get is correct because the amount that goes out of my wallet at the end of the month for the fuel is exactly proportionate to the amount of travel at the end of the day that's what matters.

And above all should say the 1.3L DDiS Fiat engine that is in the Swift Diesel is a gem of an engine. Cheers to it. Handling is amazing. As soon as I get some time I will post my ownership reviews of both my beloved car & bike.

Last edited:
Vehicle:2012 Honda City S MT (3000 kms till now).
Fuel: Petrol.
Calculation Method: MID info.
City Mileage: 11-12 kmpl with 100%AC use and some times runnning engine with AC ON for 45mins-60mins waiting for railway crossing gate to open[frustration].
Highway Mileage: 14-16 kmpl with 100%AC use.
Hey its a horrible mess at the railway crossings which sometimes I have to cross while meeting a friend of mine. People are so eager to cross after the gates open that they occupy the opposite side of the road at both ends which is like a war zone like in the movies 'Braveheart' & 'Troy' as if two armies are ready to clash in front of each other [frustration], this mess takes more 20mins to clear, if only people can stick to their own lane the traffic can get cleared a lot soon. I just park the car to the side and switch it off and have a cup of tea nearby till it clears out that's the only way you can deal with this mess which is a waste of time & fuel [sleep]

@anup
:agree:that's true but the problem is if you are having heat waves blowing outside to bake you up then you don't have any choice left but to sit in your car only and that too with AC.
As far as lane is concerned i have always noticed people going to the closed gates from all directions and watching the drivers in leftlane as if they are fools(they don't see the right lane empty and just wasting time standing in leftlane)[anger]

I calculate it based on the fuel-meter that you have in the car, I remember the line(say point A) at which point it was before filling up the fuel and after filling (say point B), when I usually fill Rs. 500/11litres of diesel and then I set my trip-meter to zero and see how many kms I travel till the pointer comes from point B to point A and usually its around 231-232kms which is easily 231/11=21. I have never tried tankfull method as I never fill tankfull as I just can't spend so much money at once, hurts a lot when you get that debited bank SMS [;)], earlier before marriage I used to just swipe my card and spend recklessly a lot and later realised bank balance is zero, now I'm rebuilding everything, now its a different scenario where salaries have increased but the cost of living has increased 3 times, so need to save. And I guess the figures I get is correct because the amount that goes out of my wallet at the end of the month for the fuel is exactly proportionate to the amount of travel at the end of the day that's what matters.
I would suggest you do the tankful to tankful method. This one is not accurate.

It is not necessary you have to fill the entire 45 litres at a time. Just fill it once and after that, refill whenever the meter comes to the half mark. that way, you just have to fill about 20 litres. And the readings will be accurate.

By the way, it does not matter whether you fill it Rs. 500 worth of fuel or full tank worth Rs. 2000. You car will drink the same amount of fuel! Infact you can save the frequent trips to the fuel bunk.

Vehicle: FIAT punto 90 hp
Fuel: Normal Diesel
Calculation Method: MID info
City Mileage: 10-15 kmpl Currently 11.5(i hope everything is fine, but delhi's traffic is responsible for this.)
Highway Mileage: 19-23.5 kmpl

Hyundai Accent Executive 2010
Petrol
Tank to Tank method
City (Bangalore Whitefield Area) 10-12 KM/L (80% AC)
Highways: 15-16 KM/L (Full AC)

Top Bottom