Fuel Economy Star Ratings w.e.f 01st April 2016

All automobiles before entering into the market go through various tests at ARAI.

The mileage achieved by the ARAI is advertised,told to us,given in the showrooms,etc. because the government believes the ARAI more than the manufacturers.

Last edited:
I'm talking about the company claimed mileage of Tavera on newspapers and on other sources. Don't know if they have changed to ARAI's figures recently.

I think this post has given enough explanation already. If they have changed to ARAI figures, it'd have been changed in the past 1 or 2 weeks. Before that, they were not claiming ARAI figures, i think it is OD's highway figure which is always optimistic.

I couldn't figure out why you are just posting the same thing again. I was talking about Tavera and and its ad in newspaper. But every time you post irrelevant contents.

Now let's end this and leave the thread for further proper discussion.

I couldn't figure out why you are just posting the same thing again. I was talking about Tavera and and its ad in newspaper. But every time you post irrelevant contents.

Now let's end this and leave the thread for further proper discussion.
Looks like you are not getting me. All i wanted or trying to say is the mileage you read in the newspaper was not the one given by the Manufacturer but by the ARAI.

And to tell you that the Manufacturer has no rights to post such mileage figures - the above link & posts (which you called irrelevant content[lol])

And that's the reason these ARAI claimed/manufacturer claimed mileages (which can never be archived in our daily drives) is a useless thing to be put up on a car's engine.

Looks like you are not getting me. All i wanted or trying to say is the mileage you read in the newspaper was not the one given by the Manufacturer but by the ARAI.

And to tell you that the Manufacturer has no rights to post such mileage figures - the above link & posts (which you called irrelevant content[lol])

And that's the reason these ARAI claimed/manufacturer claimed mileages (which can never be archived in our daily drives) is a useless thing to be put up on a car's engine.
I too know
I got your point and only to your point i replied. I was talking about Tavera from my very first post, i don't remember Tavera having an ARAI figure in its ads. And i think, the deadline for mentioning ARAI figures haven't come yet. Only volunteers are putting ARAI figures now.

Thread Starter #22
Cars will soon have mileage stickers and star rating

It’s been more than two years in the pipeline, but the power ministry is now ready to rate cars for their fuel efficiency. So in the new year, when you go hunting for a new set of wheels, a star label on the car’s windshield could help you decide if you are getting your money’s worth. To begin with, the labelling would be voluntary for manufacturers. But it would still be easy for consumers to make out why some manufacturers won’t want their products labelled. In a year, labelling will become mandatory under a strict grading system.

Even after the PMO pushed the fuel-efficiency programme in April 2009, the process had got stuck with the ministry of road transport intervening yet again. The auto industry, too, continued to raise issues that stalled the launch of the labelling process. Several rounds with the road transport ministry, headed by Kamal Nath, did not help resolve what had by then become a bitter turf battle. The two key issues that kept cropping up were under what law the regulations should be brought in for setting standards and implementing them and whether the measure should be the mileage per litre of fuel consumed or carbon-dioxide emissions. A road transport ministry committee carried on working in parallel to the Bureau of Energy Efficiency and recommended that carbon dioxidebased standards should be used. (TOI Bangalore)

Great move by the government. This will help the buyers for sure and also will cease the imaginary figures which many of the manufacturers advertise for their cars.

Thread Starter #24
Auto industry fumes over Power Min plan to rate mileage

Economic Times

The auto industry is miffed over a move by the Power Ministry to start rating passenger cars on the basis of fuel economy by next month, stating manufacturers are already making public the mileage of vehicles. Consultations have been going on with the automobile industry on the issue for the past 3-4 months and the proposal was modified accordingly, another Power Ministry source said. A senior Society of Indian Automobile Manufacturers (SIAM) official, said no such consultations took place on conditions of anonymity.

"No documents or papers ever reached us. It is being done single handedly by BEE," the official said, adding such ratings are unwelcome as manufacturers are making public and constantly upgrading mileage of their vehicles. "What is the benefit that customers are going to get from the BEE rating?" the SIAM official said. SIAM has already implemented a voluntary programme from April this year, under which all of its members declare mileage of their vehicles certified by the Automotive Research Association of India.

there will be some dedicated stalls on expo about engine and latest info, so there maybe some info related to this too.

I hope government soon makes the mileage marking mandatory. Its going to help buyers especially first timers.

It should be made mandatory by the government as if there is any lesser mileage acquired by the vehicle owner on its drive then he can check out whats the reason for the decrease of mileage and can take suitable steps for getting the mentioned one.It will be really helpful.

The mileage you get from a car can, and does, vary from the manufacturers claims, and even the ARAI test figures for the very simple reason that each person has his own driving style, different road and traffic conditions etc.
But it will be very useful for comparing across cars while making a buying decision, and that is why a standard test figure, and not manufacturer quoted figures, will be useful.

350Z

Core Team
Okay some people were questioning how the mileage marking would help? The benefit is that dealers as well as manufacturers will not be able to take the buyers for a ride now. They usually misinform the customers by providing false fuel efficiency figures and hence convince them to purchase the car (And FE addicted people also fall into this trap). After this is implemented, we can be sure of a certain mileage and choose wisely.

Drive Safe,
350Z

And i think only those automobile companies will have a problem who have been quoting wrong Mileage figures about their cars.

Top Bottom