Formalities For Importing a Car / Bike To India

Thread Starter #1

350Z

Core Team
Link to Original TAI Discussion : Click Here.

India has huge market for imported luxury cars. There is great demand for new cars as well as second-hand cars. The Exim Policy 2001 lifted quantitative restrictions on the import of second-hand cars.

The import of vehicles shall be subject to the following guidelines of the Government of India:

1. A new imported vehicle shall mean a vehicle that: -

• has not been manufactured/assembled in India; and
  • has not been sold, leased or loaned prior to importation into India; or
  • has not been registered for use in any country according to the laws of that country, prior to importation into India.
(II)The import of new vehicles shall be subject to the following conditions:

(a) The new vehicle shall-

(i) have a speedometer indicating the speed in km / h;
(ii) have right hand steering, and controls (applicable on vehicles other than two and three wheelers);
(iii) have photometry of the headlamps to suit "keep-left" traffic; and
(iv) be imported from the country of manufacture.

(b) In addition, the new vehicle shall conform to the provisions of the Motor Vehicles Act, 1988 and the rules made thereunder, as applicable, on the date of import.

(c) The import of new vehicles shall be permitted only through the Customs port at Nhava Sheva (Mumbai), Calcutta and Chennai.

2. (I) A second hand or used vehicle shall mean a vehicle that :-

(a) has been sold, leased or loaned prior to importation into India; or
(b) has been registered for use in any country according to the laws of that country, prior to importation into India;

(II). The import of second had or used vehicles shall be subject to the following conditions:-

(a) The second hand or used vehicle shall not be older than three years from the date of manufacture;
(b) The second hand or used vehicle shall:

(i) have right hand steering, and controls (applicable on vehicles other than two and three wheelers);
(ii) have a speedometer indicating the speed km / h; and
(iii) have photometry of the headlamps to suit "keep left" traffic.

(c) In addition, the second hand or used vehicle shall conform to the provisions of the Motor Vehicle Act, 1988 and the rules made thereunder, as applicable, on the date of import.

(d) Import of second hand vehicles shall be allowed only through the customs port at Mumbai.

(e) The second hand or used vehicles imported into India should have a minimum roadworthiness for a period of 5 years from the date of importation into India with assurance for providing service facilities within the country during the five year period. For this purpose, the importer shall, at the time of importation, submit a declaration indicating the period of roadworthiness in respect of every individual vehicle being imported, supported by a certificate issued by any of the testing agencies, which the Central Government may notify in this regard.

(f) The vehicle has to be submitted for testing to Vehicle Research and Development Establishment (VRDE), Ahmednagar, of the Ministry of Defence or the Automotive Research Association of India, Pune or the Central Farm and Machinery Training and Testing Institute, Budni, Madhya Pradesh, and such other agencies as may be specified by the Central Government, for granting a certificate by that agency as to the compliance of the provisions of the Motor Vehicles Act, 1988 and any rules made thereunder.

Drive Safe!
350Z

I am planning to Import a limosuine into India and the car is second hand and the year of manufacture is 2005 and 2006.

Can you shed more light on this as I am allowed to import the car or not.

Duty I know will be somewhere around 350%.

Thread Starter #5

350Z

Core Team
Getting a limo imported can be a complicated task since it will attract higher taxes. Best is to find one in India itself.

Drive Safe,
350Z

napster

Suspended
or you can even make one here itself, there are people across india who are making limousines

avoid importing a Limousing as it could be a very hassling job, well you can get many other limos in India only.., Or as they said, You can even get a car streched and converted to limousine.

I am planning to Import a limosuine into India and the car is second hand and the year of manufacture is 2005 and 2006.

Can you shed more light on this as I am allowed to import the car or not.

Duty I know will be somewhere around 350%.
You can't import second hand car of more than three years old.

What exactly does this mean?
i think this mean left side headlight should not glow bright because it can obstruct oncoming traffic..and in indiathey already make them like this. maybe experts can throw more light???

AMG

Suspended
What Should You Know Before Importing a Vehicle?

Customs duty: Tariff imposed on import/export on autos and auto ancillaries. In this year budget peak rate of Customs duty from 12.5 per cent to 10 per cent and also Central Sales Tax (CST) from 4 per cent to 3 per cent.

Excise Duty: Excise Duty is an indirect tax levied and collected on the goods manufactured in India. In last year’s Budget had reduced the excise duty on small cars (petrol engines within 1200cc and diesel engines within 1500cc) to 16 per cent, while maintaining it at 24 per cent for all other cars and utility vehicles.

Homologation: Process of certifying that a particular car is roadworthy and the Pune-based Automotive Research Association of India (ARAI) provide this clearance. According to existing norms, every original car model brought into the country by an individual or a manufacturer must have homologation clearance. Even domestic car manufacturers need a homologation certificate for new models. There are some exclusions as well

•Manufacturers can import left hand drive vehicles only for testing and research purposes.
•Individuals importing top-end cars can waive off the testing — or homologation — requirements. Any individual can import a vehicle priced above Rs 20 lakh without sending it for road-worthiness tests.
•Import of new vehicles is only permitted through Customs ports at Nhava Sheva, Kolkata, Chennai, Delhi Air Cargo and at ICD, Tughlakabad
•Very important note for Non Residential Indians (NRIs) – individuals coming to India for permanent settlement after two years of continuous stay abroad can bring in a car provided the vehicle has been in their possession for at least one year abroad. This now ensures that individuals coming to India do not bring in an absolutely new car.

An example will help to understand things better..
If X wishes to buy Suzuki GSX R 1300 Hayabusa, here is the route ?
Import bikes prices in India are a tricky thing.
Since they can only be imported you will just have to find a reputable importer! The price you can expect to pay for a new bike is based on the following:

Price of bike in the country you wish to buy or the country the dealer has contacts in. + Freight charges + Import Duty @105% + Misc charges.
Eg. NEW from the US $10000 USD(Rs 4,50,000) + $500 Freight + $10500 + $500 = $21500 USD(Rs 10 lakhs).

Import vehicles duty and license structure:

Import of passenger cars / Jeep / Multi-utility vehicles / motorcycles / scooters / mopeds etc. are restricted items of import and can be imported against an import license. However, individuals coming to India on Transfer of Residence after two years continuous stay abroad and other importers may import these vehicles without a license but on payment of customs duty. The various customs duties leviable on vehicles imported into India are as follows:

Second Hand

Vehicle Basic duty Additional Duty Spl. Additional Duty
Cars 105% 32% 4%
Bikes 105% 16% 4%

New Vehicles

Vehicle Basic duty Additional Duty Spl. Additional Duty
Cars 60% 32% 4%
Bikes 60% 16% 4%

Troubles with Second hand vehicles:

The restrictions/conditions imposed on import of cars by importers for commercial purposes shall not be applicable in the case of passengers bringing their own car on Transfer of Residence. However, these imports shall be subject to the condition that the vehicle should have right hand steering and controls (applicable on vehicles other than 2 and 3 wheelers). Value of these vehicles for the purpose of levy of customs duty is CIF value, where C stands for the cost of the goods, I is the insurance and F is the freight. Cost in the case of new vehicles is the transaction value between the seller and the buyer, however in the case of old and used vehicles cost is arrived at by taking value of the vehicle in year of manufacture and after allowing depreciation at following rates.

•For every quarter during 1st year 4%
•For every quarter during 2nd year 3%
•For every quarter during 3rd year 2.5%
•For every quarter during 4th year 2%
•Thereafter subject to a maximum depreciation of 70%

Last edited:
Re: Regulations for Importing cars in India.

Hi 350z this Ali ,
I would Like to get in touch with you i have gone through your forum and i m importing a Chrysler 300c soon ,so i will require a little help of yours
Regards
Ali

Top Bottom