Ford's New Premium Hatchback Planned For India

Thread Starter #1
Ford has started working on a new premium hatch back that will sit above the Figo, Aspire , its based on Fords B562 chassis that underpins the current gen Figo/Aspire but heavily modified to meet all new regulations of new emissions and safety standards

The car will appear in 2 forms a premium hatch back and as a C segment sedan rivaling the likes of Honda City, Hyundai Verna, Maruti Ciaz etc

The production will start only after 2020, so its a long way to go before this becomes a reality,
SCOOP! Ford developing premium hatch to take on i20 and Baleno - Autocar India

From the Article posted, there is something related to Ecosport facelift.

Ford will manufacture its state-of-the-art ‘Dragon’ family of small displacement petrol engines in India to power its future compact model range. In fact, the Dragon engine family hasn’t been launched yet and the global debut of this new powerplant will be in India in the coming weeks

If true then Ecosport facelift will indeed get the Dragon engine?

Why cant they launch a Sedan with a new name based on the Export Aspire, That can bring in reasonable volumes.

Last edited:
With the EcoSport getting the Dragon engine in Brazil, it is almost certain the face-lift will have this engine in India too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thread Starter #4
From the Article posted, there is something related to Ecosport facelift.

Ford will manufacture its state-of-the-art ‘Dragon’ family of small displacement petrol engines in India to power its future compact model range. In fact, the Dragon engine family hasn’t been launched yet and the global debut of this new powerplant will be in India in the coming weeks

Why cant they launch a Sedan with a new name based on the Export Aspire, That can bring in reasonable volumes.
They will thats why the new B563, the Aspire and Figo will get a new 1.2l 94 HP Dragon i3 motor, but the mystrey is the automatic that will go on to power the Aspire and new Figo ATs, Ford has officially told goodbye to Getrag DCT gearboxes because of the teeming complaints and law suits against it ,
So a new 1.2l 94 HP motor will power the Figo and Aspire petrol in Manual and automatic guise, the new automatic maybe a new 6 speed Auto , probably the 6F15 itself that will go into the Ecosport

With the EcoSport getting the Dragon engine in Brazil, it is almost certain the face-lift will have this engine in India too.
Yes it is certain but the transmission is what is puzzling, Ford has been testing a new 6 speed Manual in India in Ecposport facelift test mules, no idea whether its a choice for ecoboost or diesel or the new Dragon motor

The new B563 is far from production form, probably 2020 will be its debut date but by then Baleno and i20 Elite and Jazz , would have already captured the Indian market in full swing, so again as usual it will remain in market as an exclusive car.

So a new 1.2l 94 HP motor will power the Figo and Aspire petrol in Manual and automatic guise, the new automatic maybe a new 6 speed Auto , probably the 6F15 itself that will go into the Ecosport
Any idea will Ford come with AMT option?

Thread Starter #7
Any idea will Ford come with AMT option?
No AMT but as per reports Ford is making a new 6 speed torque converter automatic for the 1.2l Dragon petrol motor and 1.5l petrol motor in Ecosport
New facelift Figo might put away the 1.5l 110 HP engine in Figo/Aspire DCT and mate the 1.2l engine with manual and the 6 speed torque converter automatics
The new 1.5l engine will be a choice for new Ford premium hatch back B563 and it sedan and Ecosport, Figo Aspire will most probably get the new 1.2l petrols as the motors and 1.5l diesel will remain till 2020, then a new 1.5l DOHC 16 valve ecoblue might join the Ford family in 100 HP and 120 HP forms
100 HP for Figo/Aspire and 120 HP for Ford B563,its sedan and Ecosport.

1.2 Dragon Engines coming up in the Ford Figo. My wild guess is, 1.2 comes in the regular Figo variants and high-end Variant gets 1.5 Dragon which replaces 1.5 Ti-VCT and DCT Gearbox would be replaced by 6F15 6-speed Torque converter. And with the right pricing by Ford I don't see why anyone shouldnt buy it. It's already too tempting to me.

https://indianautosblog.com/2017/11/ford-figo-facelift-ford-figo-cross-variant-spotted-291706?utm_content=buffer87244&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=buffer

Thread Starter #10
1.2 Dragon Engines coming up in the Ford Figo. My wild guess is, 1.2 comes in the regular Figo variants and high-end Variant gets 1.5 Dragon which replaces 1.5 Ti-VCT and DCT Gearbox would be replaced by 6F15 6-speed Torque converter. And with the right pricing by Ford I don't see why anyone shouldnt buy it. It's already too tempting to me.

https://indianautosblog.com/2017/11/ford-figo-facelift-ford-figo-cross-variant-spotted-291706?utm_content=buffer87244&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=buffer
Swift and Grand i10 are big reasons for majority of Indians not to look at Ford,
I think Figo wont get any advantage even of it gives a TC AT with diesel because that hatch back segmebt is too much dominated by Maruti and Hyundai.

Swift and Grand i10 are big reasons for majority of Indians not to look at Ford,
I think Figo wont get any advantage even of it gives a TC AT with diesel because that hatch back segmebt is too much dominated by Maruti and Hyundai.
Why only Swift or Hyundai ? Why not Amaze, Toyota and VW ? The only reason that ford has to concentrate is on giving good service all over India. They have right products and spare parts are also ain't too expensive when compared with the competition. Offers a big NA engine and torque converter and all we need is similar service levels with expert assistance as in USA where 6F35 fitted to fusions are running more than 200,000 miles without any fuss. Because they know what to do and how to do it. Repair wouldnt cost much and the car keeps running like it should and most of the vehicle owners in the US doesn't care about their vehicles much. Keeping the road and environment conditions aside, we still do not have proper service and lot of chalega attitude is killing a brand like Ford in India.

Thread Starter #12
Why only Swift or Hyundai ? Why not Amaze, Toyota and VW ? The only reason that ford has to concentrate is on giving good service all over India. They have right products and spare parts are also ain't too expensive when compared with the competition. Offers a big NA engine and torque converter and all we need is similar service levels with expert assistance as in USA where 6F35 fitted to fusions are running more than 200,000 miles without any fuss. Because they know what to do and how to do it. Repair wouldnt cost much and the car keeps running like it should and most of the vehicle owners in the US doesn't care about their vehicles much. Keeping the road and environment conditions aside, we still do not have proper service and lot of chalega attitude is killing a brand like Ford in India.
I dont think after sales and service are only reasons, its the stigma Ford has left behind from the early 2000s and the general notion of a wide variety of Indian audience that, Matuti or Hyundai = cheap and reliable is the bigger reason, I agree Ford has more to do in after sales , repairs and servoce department but even of they do it sales wont be anywhere near in range of Hyundai and Maruti

Things are changing and for good, Ford is on the right path and people have started to accept that so-called massive cheap and reliable brands are no cheaper and reliable.

Even the build quality which is now in question, for these successful brands are somehow getting the eyes of the new generation, however, Ford made a big mistake by choosing the same path for Aspire twins and they are paying for it.

I think the new premium hatch will bring some numbers but will have a new competitor from Tata as well. So it's up to Tata if they get it right & if they do then Ford will have to fight this tough competitor apart from well established Maruti & Hyundai products.

Edit: I forgot, MG & Kia might also be there to take some pie from the segment.

So good days ahead for Indian market[:)]

Last edited:
Thread Starter #14
Things are changing and for good, Ford is on the right path and people have started to accept that so-called massive cheap and reliable brands are no cheaper and reliable.

Even the build quality which is now in question, for these successful brands are somehow getting the eyes of the new generation, however, Ford made a big mistake by choosing the same path for Aspire twins and they are paying for it.

I think the new premium hatch will bring some numbers but will have a new competitor from Tata as well. So it's up to Tata if they get it right & if they do then Ford will have to fight this tough competitor apart from well established Maruti & Hyundai products.

Edit: I forgot, MG & Kia might also be there to take some pie from the segment.

So good days ahead for Indian market[:)]
Totally agree with that, I think Ford is taking toomuch time to make progress, the premium hatch from Ford will have tough competition from new Tata premium hatch which by any means will be a great car and will definitely be cheaper than Ford
So I am sure Fords market share wont improve even if they make progress as the competition has grown fat and new entrants too will make tough time for Ford
Glee,Quros, KIA, MG all are planning to enter India, so Tata too better hurry up

Totally agree with that, I think Ford is taking toomuch time to make progress, the premium hatch from Ford will have tough competition from new Tata premium hatch which by any means will be a great car and will definitely be cheaper than Ford
So I am sure Fords market share wont improve even if they make progress as the competition has grown fat and new entrants too will make tough time for Ford
Glee,Quros, KIA, MG all are planning to enter India, so Tata too better hurry up
Agree, Ford needs to act quickly on the so called premium hatchback and other categories which can give them numbers and put in a space and percentage for itself . They have the tech, then have the resources, but they arent doing it yet. I also heard there is no new products lined up by Ford for Indian models for next 3 years, other than some face-lifted Figo's, figo cross etc. I dont think that will be enough for Ford to survive in India.

Top Bottom