Ford ikon 1.6 SXi Test Drive (Highlight: FE 22.6 Kmpl!)

Thread Starter #1
Hello guys .

was on a short trip to covai , in our member holysatan's ride - ikon 1.6 .

Befor i start to write , i pity for my friend , who is glued to his monitor in his 2x2 cabin for almost 14 hrs a day and its me who enjoy his ride!! hehe. His IT company (Tangaraj cycle stores-the way he calls them guess ??)didnt allow a leave to him , so it was me and another friend .

As you know , its is a pre owned ikon 1.6 sxi 2001 model.
Driving in city is fun

How about in highway - its handling its fuel efficiency , top speed etc.
Had read a lot of reviews before buying them , BUT how about testing everything ourself.

Filled the tank of normal petrol in pondicherry - gulped about 41 Lit to full.
starts our journey.

To check fuel efficiency i was ultra light on throttle. I have never ever driven like this in my life. ultra light and nil braking and steady drive without the air-con as the wind was cool.

Started by 12.45 pm noon here , drove through
Pondy- ulundurpet - chinnasalem - salem - attur - avinshi- covai

pondy - villupuram road is not so good , but not in bad shape.

road from villupuram to ulundurpet is 4 lane.

and salem bypass was 4 lane till covai

apart from start and end we had bad, worst roads and heavy traffic esp at salem and aatur sections.

i maintained a speed of 55~60 kmph , not even a bit high . rpm at 1500 ~2000 .

Had lunch in car itself - caring mom , did her best . yep she packed lunch for me (may be as i started around 1 pm who will eat my share of food prepared ). Drove till 2.30 pm and had my lunch - see the picture . the spoiler was a good table

Reached covai at 11.40pm. almost a 11 hour drive including all the breaks in between.
all the wile i was ultra, no no most ultra light on the throttle.
I don't even when i hit the bed in room - woke up at 9 next morning.

In the mean while in salem bypass a bmw drive parallel to me and the whoosh - i asked my friend shall i catch it.
his reply , no no its a BMW..
well cant a ikon catch a bmw , well i hope a spiritted driver can
There goes my throttle 70 ...80....100...130...140....170...
yeah when i looked down the speedo it was 170 and still climbing.
my bumper almost catch the bmw's front door , almost over took it , he saw me and off he pushed his gas - may be ashamed to be beaten by a ikon

Also i slowed down for another reason (one is almost caught him) my enthusiastic friend took his cam and his hands were inside the steering to take the picture !! OH GOD and yeah thanks to him for the picture.

Now at 170kmph - the car was rock solid. no shakes nothing . about 140+ there was wind noise , so i rolled up the windows . Yeah no ac .

Happy for the last one min , called up holy satan , and told him.
Poor fellow , had to listen with a [cry]
yeah offense met - driving and speaking

After reaching covai - as usual welcomed by lot of modified cars , went to see my car and did other business related works .
back again to office - eager to fill up the tank to find my hard work(yeah read next para)

Trip was 399.0 to be exact from pondicherry and other smallest covai city run.
the fuel used up was 17.64 L
so calculating the fuel efficiency was 22.6KMPL

Ok my hard work - this car has worst seats and thigh support . My knees were aching in this ultra light throttle run and there was no support to rest my knee in right side. ooh still its paining.

Finished up some works - return
i was so tired as i was standing - running - walking all the day. Must have slept and avoid the night trip.

for about i hour i drove at 40kmph - 1000 rpm and after that boared off , drove at 80~95kmph .
in the mean while i was so sleepy , pull over and took a 2 hrs sleep .

again about 1.5hrs of drive still sleepy and again 1 hr sleep.

and after that i was driving like a half asleep . eyes were so heavy and some how managed .
at one point i noticed a truck in rear view mirror - how and when did i over take this ???
pull over had a face wash some brick ups and downs and back to driver seat .

back to steady drive and home sweet home.

Return route was
covai- karur - trichy - villupuram - pondy

covai karur - flat 2 lane
karur trichy sometimes bad and some times good road(4 lane prepration)
trichy villupuram - 4 lance

Let the pictures speak .

Attachments

Nice car & Nice Pics. Congratulations [:)] you now own one of the best drivers car.
The feeling,steering response is in a class of its own.

The brakes are lousy in stock (you had asked about in other thread)
Spares are a little costly & servicing a little time consuming,but the engine "ROCAM 1.6" is a gem.

Warning : Braking in high speed wont stop the car where you expect it to stop.You need to couple it with Engine Braking. [cheers]

BTW what do you plan to do with this car ? I mean mod it for your business or keep it stock ?

Last edited:
Thread Starter #3
Nice car & Nice Pics. Congratulations [:)] you now own one of the best drivers car.
The feeling,steering response is in a class of its own.

The brakes are lousy in stock (you had asked about in other thread)
Spares are a little costly & servicing a little time consuming,but the engine "ROCAM 1.6" is a gem.

Warning : Braking in high speed wont stop the car where you expect it to stop.You need to couple it with Engine Braking. [cheers]

BTW wht do you plan to do with this car ? I mean mod it for your business or keep it stock ?
Yeah braking was so called lousy. but one will get used to it very soon.

you need some hard braking - heavy on foot to stop at desired point.

Thread Starter #4
Noticed just now in your post. this is not my car . this is our member holy satans cars.

satan may do anything , keep it stock or may mod , depend upon his mood!
presently planning for a ICE set up
-----------Next Post-----------
Did i mention terrible seats !
i found them bit difficult , have driven ikon , but i hope one may get used to it.

My right one were paining and i used the left one as support and also used wrapped towels below the thighs - hope the sponge moulds went flat or the ikon is designed that way

Attachments

Last edited:
@ilango: did like the lines about my situation at office. one small correction - all are rite except the size of my cubicle. i get a relatively spacious one to work (or shud I say ___ in)

didn't get to drive it much except for my two initial drives. going home today. will bring the baby back wit me to chennai.

lookin forward to the chennai mega meet.

ILANGO!!! When will you learn??? 1st you stuff a platoon of kids in a Manza, and now you overspeed, not at 140, but at 170!!! :eek: And to add to this, talk on your phone? Were you wearing your seatbelt or not?? Spare a thought for your dependents, relatives and friends like me. Your well-being (in case of any 3rd party damage/harm) and safety come 1st.

Drive safe.

Thread Starter #8
ILANGO!!! When will you learn??? 1st you stuff a platoon of kids in a Manza, and now you overspeed, not at 140, but at 170!!! :eek: And to add to this, talk on your phone? Were you wearing your seatbelt or not?? Spare a thought for your dependents, relatives and friends like me. Your well-being (in case of any 3rd party damage/harm) and safety come 1st.

Drive safe.
good one!
after speeding and slowing down i was in phone.
yeah i wear seatbelts except in pondicherry city

congrats satan
looking forward to hear some +ve ownership report from you .

@ilango way to go mate . you really tested this car . i hope satan didn't got heart attack listening 170speed [lol]

Ha ha the usual devil Ilango![evil] Having an Ikon and catching up with a Bmw! Holysatan told me about this the day you did this in Facebook!

I think in normal driving it will take 8-9hours from Chennai to Coimbatore. FE is amazing for that almost 10 year old car , in normal driving i think it will fetch atleast 18kmpl which is still great!

And hey bro it seems you were flat out on your return journey! Dont take such risks in future , you could have started the next day morning itself IMO.

@ Arkin I agree speaking on the phone while driving is his fault but pushing the car to its limits and checking it , i wont call it a mistake. Any car enthusiast will want to check out the top-speed and capabilities of his car. But racing against a Bmw i agree his mistake , i would have been happy if he had tried that without any influence. And the road where he sped is a proper 4 lane road where a Merc can cruise at 220kmph easily so a few minutes in 170kmph i would not call it a big mistake at that road.

Thread Starter #11
@ mastersquall , yep he missed the fun of 170

@dhaya - Normal driving will take approx 7 hours min at normal speed due to traffic and night time a hour less.

On refilling the car FE was 13.6kmpl. in which almost 30~35% with ac .

Thread Starter #13
1.6 ikon's fe is that much.
i drove on extreme light foot - paining knees and thighs , even have slight pain today(right leg is having a different feel)

On return i drove at normal speed

Thread Starter #15
That is its nature from begining! hope 13.6 is good one .
hope it will be a digit lower on spirited drive.

Man that has got that much josh , just put the gas pedal , this one takes off almost like a lancer . and due to its solid build , the weight must be high~

Top Bottom