Ford Ikon - 1.3 Flair - Buying Experience

Thread Starter #1
My cousin has bought a used FORD IKON FLAIR 1.3 Petrol. Since I have driven cars more often than him. He took me along with him in shortlisting used cars.

1st STOP: Bimal Used car showroom on Ring road (near K.R.Puram Railway station, Blore). We saw 2 cars - WagonR - 2nos - 35000kms on ODO for about 2.50Lakhs & Swift with 40,000kms on ODO for about 3.5Lakhs.

What the showroom offered was 1year warranty on the engine & 3 free services. Complete car has been refurbished with MGA parts. We felt the cars were over priced (especially the Wagon R), The showroom has nearly 150CARS on display!

There were other cars also on display for sale. They were parked in a corner - as they are not sold with warranty/ any other benefits. The reason was they had met with accident/ meter tampering/ have covered more than 50K kms.

We left the showroom disappointed as pricing was way above our budget.

Next Stop: Carnation (Near Marathalli Bridge, on the same ring road) The best customer care. The sales guy was full of smiles and greeted us on that sunny sunday afternoon. He showed us two cars - Ford Ikon Flair & Hyundai Getz.

Went for a test drive in Ikon, horrible clutch, stiff steering, almost nill brakes.
On the other hand, the Hyundai Getz was gem of a car - butter smooth gear shift, No Vibrations, good brakes etc.

We took the Ikon for a long test drive - almost 4-5kms + fiddled with anything that can be opened & closed in it. Atlast, not so convinced we left the place. But we knew we were already loving that Ikon.

Both cars were priced almost same -
Ikon - 2009 - Black - Petrol - 1300cc - Single owner - 53000 on ODO
Getz - 2009 - Red - Petrol - 1.2l (i guess) - Single owner - 38000 on ODO

We shortlisted the Ikon and moved onto see other showrooms. We went to Nandi Toyota, Pratham Motors, Concorde Motors (saw Nano & Punto) & finally test drove the EON at Trident Hyundai.

After two days, we decided the Ikon was the best of the lot we had met. Booked the car and in 10days we took delivery.

Cost: 2.3Lakhs - inclusive of all the services mentioned below+RTO Transfer + 3free services

BEST PART:
Sales guy promised us the following
  1. New Radio Antenna
  2. New full size wheel covers for all wheels
  3. New Clutch
  4. Power Steering service & oil top up
  5. 3M cleaning for interiors
  6. battery charging
  7. black paint touch up for small dent near the Ikon Badge
  8. Wheel alignment & balancing
  9. New Sony Xplod music player (but same old speakers) with USB & Aux

He kept up to his promise and we were more than happy on the delivery day[clap].Just one picture for now, I will resize the rest of the pictures and upload shortly. Me with my cousin's Josh Machine.

Pro's
-Steering feel
-Accelaration
-Looks
-Predictability in every situation

Drawbacks
-Low on mileage
-Engine noise much higher when AC on
-rattles from dashboard

cheers [cheers]

Attachments

Congratulations buddy , please post some more pictures. With some waxing your black beauty will be gleaming like new!

350Z

Core Team
Congratulations, SS80. That ikon looks promising, I always admire it for the no nonsense design and good to drive factor. Upgraded model with new headlamps was ugly, though interiors were much better. What was the variant of Getz? I think it might have made for an equally sweet deal. Single image isn’t enough for this car, do share more also keep updating us in future or just ask your cousin to join in with us. Happy mile crunching. :smile:

Drive Safe,
350Z

ss80 : Congrats. The 1.3 is low on power but it's still lot of fun to drive. I have driven my friend's 1.3 quite some times and must say that the steering, gearshift, seating position are all a delight. The suspension has just the right amount of firmness to give delightful handling without being unduly uncomfortable. But 2.3 lakhs is a lot of money to pay for a used, discontinued, PETROL Ford. Also, do not expect more than 10kmpl in the city. Anyways, I hope this car will bring smile on the face of your cousin every time he takes it out on a long, winding road because at the end of the day, that's what really matters. Cheers !

Last edited:
Thread Starter #8
Thanks everybody, Is it only ford Ikon or all ford cars are this fun to drive?
1.3 itself is such a nice car, I wonder how would the bigger 1.6 feel & also will have to try a Palio sometime (built like a tank)

350Z

Core Team
Thanks everybody, Is it only ford Ikon or all ford cars are this fun to drive?
1.3 itself is such a nice car, I wonder how would the bigger 1.6 feel & also will have to try a Palio sometime (built like a tank)
Well, most of them. :smile: I have bought a Fiesta Classic 1.6 more or less because of this reason and loving each bit of its ownership.

Drive Safe,
350Z

Thread Starter #10
Its been a long time since I updated this thread, my cousin had not used the car for last 8 months since he had no license & now he has attended driving classes & is ready to burn rubber (kidding).

The car was very dirty & it needed some deep cleaning. Tires were too bald (front two) so got them changed. Rear tires are in ok condition. All this was done almost a month back,sorry for updating these pics so late.

Pictures will do the talking :D
8months of parking drained the battery & dust was pretty much ruining the looks of the car. One day before taking the car out, we pulled out the battery & gave it for charging at a local shop.

The dirty car
1 before wash (1).jpg

1 before wash (2).jpg

The bald tires
2 oldtires.jpg

The ventilated disc brakes in the car
3 disc brake.jpg

Brake shoe still in good shape
4 brake shoes.jpg

Old tires removed, rim is not rusted & in good shape, so the new valve fixed
5 new valves (1).jpg

5 new valves (2).jpg

New Yokohoma A drive - 165/70R13 - Rs.3800/- tubeless type
6 Yokohoma A drives (1).jpg

6 Yokohoma A drives (2).jpg

Water wash (this alone was one hour work -paid 300, but worth it)
7 Water wash.jpg

Bling bling, blacky
8 shining.jpg

They also cleaned all interiors very well
9 nbeat interio (1).jpg

9 nbeat interio (3).jpg

The speedo console close up.
10 speedo.jpg

He has started using the car regularly & is loving it very much. Has driven over 1000kms on highways in last one month.

Attachments

Belated congrats to your friend for the car. Ikon was once considered a luxury. I remember sitting in one years ago when it was launched and was bought by the President of our company. BTW what FE is you friend getting and how long does he intend to keep this car?

Thread Starter #13
Amit: Thanks, I too am glad he has started to use it regularly.

Akash: I am not sure what mileage he is getting, he is flooring the pedal every now & then(Josh Machine acceleration), as its just one month since he started using it.

Recently he broke the headlight glass in a small accident (hit an alto from behind) & the right side headlamp was damaged. yesterday I took it to Gujli & I was not convinced to go for a full unit (used) replacement costing Rs.800/- Hence we purchased only headlight glass (new one) - Neo Lite company & got it fixed to the same reflector assembly. Since I was not willing to take chances, because his headlight has levelling motor in it, we chose this option.
New headlamp costs 2000/- without bulb (not sure if it has levelling motor) Lumax brand.

Provide me diemsion for FOH and ROH

Somebody plz provide me dimension for front and rear over hang of ikon ford flair 1.3L petrol variant....As I m planning for customising the car so...

Top Bottom