Ford Freestyle Premieres in India (Coverage: Pg.4)

hi all, I own a ford diesel Ecosport T+ and am planning for a new hatch for my father. Took test drive of Freestyle petrol 1.2 yesterday. loved the handling and drive of freestyle. low end punch and torque of new 1.2 dragon engine is superb. I took of from 0 in 3rd gear carefully depressing the clutch without any issue.
The dealer has a Dec'18 VIN Titanium freestyle stock. compared to 2019 make,I am getting a overall 35K Ex-showroom discount on the titanium model. should I call it a deal? If yes, what would be the IDV of the insurance be based on--2018 EX showroom price or the price after discount? please provide some guidance.

I'm still not happy with the suspension setup of my Freestyle that has suspension setup of Global Fiesta. The car doesn't inspire confidence at corners when taken at high speed. However, this is still a huge improvement from stock. I have tried the setup from Figo S, which is still too soft to my liking. The build quality of Freestyle is very light and less rigid compared to that of Global Fiesta from whose platform this car is derived from. There is a huge understeer when encountering corners at high speed. The ride is still bumpy (better than stock).
I'm considering a suspension upgrade now to either Bilstein or KW. The problem is there is not too many options available. In KW, there is just Variant 1 is available that has no adjustable dampers but springs can be adjusted between 10 to 50mm. Variant 1 is tuned more towards factory set-up but with a slight performance bias. Bilstein offers B6 which is sporty but may not suit the light build of this car. Also, I'm looking at customised coil-over suspension set-up with adjustable dampening in twin tube configuration. Have anyone tried suspension upgrade on Figo or Aspire?
Otherwise, I'm happy with the car, it has run 27000 kms!

Last edited:
I'm still not happy with the suspension setup of my Freestyle that has suspension setup of Global Fiesta. The car doesn't inspire confidence at corners when taken at high speed. However, this is still a huge improvement from stock. I have tried the setup from Figo S, which is still too soft to my liking. The build quality of Freestyle is very light and less rigid compared to that of Global Fiesta from whose platform this car is derived from. There is a huge understeer when encountering corners at high speed. The ride is still bumpy (better than stock).
I'm considering a suspension upgrade now to either Bilstein or KW. The problem is there is not too many options available. In KW, there is just Variant 1 is available that has no adjustable dampers but springs can be adjusted between 10 to 50mm. Variant 1 is tuned more towards factory set-up but with a slight performance bias. Bilstein offers B6 which is sporty but may not suit the light build of this car. Also, I'm looking at customised coil-over suspension set-up with adjustable dampening in twin tube configuration. Have anyone tried suspension upgrade on Figo or Aspire?
Otherwise, I'm happy with the car, it has run 27000 kms!
The Freestyle is not based on Global Fiesta chassis, its based on MK V Ford Fiesta chassis ie the chassis prior to Global Fiesta chassis, also the Freestyle is made taller and has a front medium stiff rear soft setup to aid the majority of Indians love for smooth ride, I dont think suspension upgrade will give Freestyle the required handling, the Caster and Camber angle too does matter a lot when it comes to how it corners, the Global Fiesta has a very sporty alignment setup , one well versed can just notice it from the stance it has compared to others, Upgrading a stock Figo might have done better, a Freestyle stands tall and suspension angle etc set up more to take bad roads rather than for out right handling, and because its Fords setup, it just has s light edge over the other brands which are too much comfort biased, so even in my experience my MK I Figo too handle better than Freestyle, the Aspire,Freestyle etc are much more toned down cars, but I think a regular Figo can be tuned to be a much better handling car than Freestyle.

hi all, I own a ford diesel Ecosport T+ and am planning for a new hatch for my father. Took test drive of Freestyle petrol 1.2 yesterday. loved the handling and drive of freestyle. low end punch and torque of new 1.2 dragon engine is superb. I took of from 0 in 3rd gear carefully depressing the clutch without any issue.
The dealer has a Dec'18 VIN Titanium freestyle stock. compared to 2019 make,I am getting a overall 35K Ex-showroom discount on the titanium model. should I call it a deal? If yes, what would be the IDV of the insurance be based on--2018 EX showroom price or the price after discount? please provide some guidance.
35k ex showroom discount means it will be around 60k discount on road which I feel is a good deal, but if possible push for a 50k discount
Check whether the model they have does have a rear adjustable head rest, if not avoid it
IDV value can be around 85-90% value of the cars on road price if @RBS0620 is opting for full bumper to bumper protection

The Freestyle is not based on Global Fiesta chassis, its based on MK V Ford Fiesta chassis ie the chassis prior to Global Fiesta chassis, also the Freestyle is made taller and has a front medium stiff rear soft setup to aid the majority of Indians love for smooth ride, I dont think suspension upgrade will give Freestyle the required handling, the Caster and Camber angle too does matter a lot when it comes to how it corners, the Global Fiesta has a very sporty alignment setup , one well versed can just notice it from the stance it has compared to others, Upgrading a stock Figo might have done better, a Freestyle stands tall and suspension angle etc set up more to take bad roads rather than for out right handling, and because its Fords setup, it just has s light edge over the other brands which are too much comfort biased, so even in my experience my MK I Figo too handle better than Freestyle, the Aspire,Freestyle etc are much more toned down cars, but I think a regular Figo can be tuned to be a much better handling car than Freestyle.
I would be in disagreement here. Figo/Freestyle shares none of the parts or platform with Mark V Fiesta. please see attached is the review of Ford Ka+ from auto car UK site.

Ford Ka+ Review (2019) | Autocar

They share the same wheel base and track. Proof is the compatible subframe and rear axle. Do you know Figo and Fiesta has the same rear axle? I can send you the part nos if you wish. The suspension components share the same part nos. They even have the same anti-roll bar, link rod and knuckle! what other evidence is required to understand that Ka+ is a derivative of Fiesta Mark VI? There is no difference between Figo and Freestyle apart from the springs and dampers to increase the ride height by 16mm. The only problem I face while using Global Fiesta is the axle weight difference that doesn't compress the springs as much as it does on Fiesta on a Freestyle. I have checked the camper and caster alignments. I even use a camper adjustment bolt to get the camper angle aligned.

I would be in disagreement here. Figo/Freestyle shares none of the parts or platform with Mark V Fiesta. please see attached is the review of Ford Ka+ from auto car UK site.

Ford Ka+ Review (2019) | Autocar

They share the same wheel base and track. Proof is the compatible subframe and rear axle. Do you know Figo and Fiesta has the same rear axle? I can send you the part nos if you wish. The suspension components share the same part nos. They even have the same anti-roll bar, link rod and knuckle! what other evidence is required to understand that Ka+ is a derivative of Fiesta Mark VI? There is no difference between Figo and Freestyle apart from the springs and dampers to increase the ride height by 16mm. The only problem I face while using Global Fiesta is the axle weight difference that doesn't compress the springs as much as it does on Fiesta on a Freestyle. I have checked the camper and caster alignments. I even use a camper adjustment bolt to get the camper angle aligned.
Have you checked the parts of MK V vs MK VI Fiesta ?
What I meant is, the MK V to MK VI Fiesta is about reducing weight and increasing front track , rest remains almost the same between MK V and MK VI platform, hence the majority of parts sharing, also the MK V Fiesta had limitations in structural strength whereas the MK VI had more high strength boron steel , so basically they are near identical in structure but different in composition and that makes a difference , the MK VI might be having lower CG and less weight between front axle and front crash bar allowing for better weight distribution and internal mechanical packing efficiency
I dont think any Ford B500,B562, or any of derivatives of B chassis can be made to ride or handle as good as a Fords Global B chassis , that B chassis is unique and easily one of worlds best FWD chassis and even today even Fords derivative s cant compete with the Global B chassis, heck even Fords Global C FWD chassis is inferior to Fords B chassis

1.2 dragon is such a gem to drive. I have covered 12000 kms so far but the ride is quite bumpy (I feel now that the suspension is well set rather stiffened) and you would have a jarring ride in bad roads though the car can handle any road at ease. Why not wait for the facelift Ford Figo or the Figo S?

Nairrk

Honoured Member
Ford Freestyle latest TVC talks about child safety in a car

Ford has released a new TVC as a part of their latest campaigns – Discover the More in You. This is the final TVC of the series, which earlier saw the Endeavour TVC and EcoSport TVC. In the latest advertisement, the brand gives a message for child safety and it gets the title – The Decision.

Read:

My freestyle petrol has covered 20000 kms so far. I have been experiencing poor and unsettling ride on bad and potholed roads due to front suspension being softened. The car thuds and sways on uneven roads. Looks this is the very nature of the suspension! Is anyone in the forum facing the same other than F4frewin?
I have complained to Ford to replace the suspension under warranty. Will update on this soon.

Exactly, it's so sad to see such useful features being omitted in the name of cost cutting.
Another feature is the front front drivers window auto up feature which is available but doesn't have a anti pinch system. All such small things make a big difference. I hope someone at Ford reads this and work on it so that it can be added in the upcoming models.
can we purchase Power window switches of EcoSport and get installed in freestyle?

Nairrk

Honoured Member
Ford Freestyle BS6 spied testing in Pune – Launch soon

2020-ford-freestyle-bs6-spied-testing-launch-6.jpg

Ford Freestyle BS6 variant was spotted doing test runs in Pune ahead of its fast-approaching launch timeline. There are no obvious changes to the design of the BS6 Freestyle, except for the black alloy wheels (BS4 models get the four-spoke 15-inch wheels in a glossy grey finish). Still, the final product could sport some slight cosmetic enhancements to give justice to its ‘2020 MY’ title, alongside new features on the inside. Ford India has already launched the 2020 Ford EcoSport BS6 at a starting price of Rs 8.04 lakh ex-showroom.

2020-ford-freestyle-bs6-spied-testing-launch-2-1068x597.jpg

With the deadline to update to BS6 emission norms closing in fast, we expect Ford India to launch the revised Freestyle next month or sooner. The Ford Freestyle cross-hatch primarily rivals the likes of the Hyundai i20 Active and Toyota Etios Cross. Prices currently start at Rs 5.91 lakh ex-showroom (for the entry-level petrol variant) and it wouldn’t be surprising if the 2020 Ford Freestyle BS6 is slightly more expensive.

Read:

Hello guys,

Posting after almost two long years owning a FS D T+ The black smoke is almost there everyday even if you drive on a light foot or push to the floor. Specially driving in the hills it even emits more black smoke! Everytime I see the clouds of smoke in rear view mirror I get embarrassed as a 20k km run car well maintained and feel sad for the bikers tailgating too.
The ASC is not very interested in solving the dark black smoke issue,and simply say that it is common for all diesel cars to emit black smoke while the Ecosport TDCi dosent.
So to put an end to this I am thinking of getting the following done:

1. A simple Stage 1 remap from Code 6 (The extra power will add more fun driving the FS in the hills)
2. A EGR delete, Hard delete.
3. A SS decat downpipe.
4. Upgrading brake pads to either EBC or Brembo.

I am not that keen on changing the airfilter to a cloth based BMC or a K&N as I don't belive in a oil based filter sucking more air than a paper based filter, cost wise spending close to 6k for one filter I can use the stock OEM filter which costs just Rs.350 Aprox and change them every 5k kms (Around 17 filters for the cost of one Performance Filter ie., 17x5000kms = 85000kms) and save much more on the cleaning kits for performance filters as I drive mostly in dusty conditions where the filter often gets dirty.

The above is just a derivation of my small research, It would be really helpful if gurus can point out the pros and cons and help me get rid of the smoke issue, plus getting a lil extra power.

Thanks! I found Apollo Alnac on par with Michelin's in terms of grip and abuse; the tread looks wider with Apollo. This is my fourth set including two previous sets with Liva Diesel and one set of acelere with A-Star!
I agree. Alnacs on my Rapid were too comfortable & cornering friendly as compared to Michelin. Alnacs are cheaper too.
Thanks. What happens to the current Ford's 1.5 TDCi? Will the diesel BS IV engine life be affected if we use BS VI fuel?
Ideally decreasing the sulfer content from 50 to 15 ppm should decrease lifespan of the diesel engines of both BS4 as well as BS6. Because sulfer is a lubricant.
I have seen this with Ford ASS, they tend to blame on multiple causes and scare the customer. I have spoken to my FNG, they said the right side OE drive shaft costs 16.5k and left 11.5k.
Left drive SHAFT of Rapid TDI cost me 35 k +labour extra [frustration]
Guys you input is necessary on Premium Hatchback War: Hyundai i20 vs Maruti Baleno vs Tata Altroz vs Honda Jazz vs VW Polo & Others

Last edited:

Top Bottom