Ford Freestyle Premieres in India (Coverage: Pg.4)

Thread Starter #1
Ford India is “looking at” a Ford Figo Cross variant, admits Ford India MD – IAB Report

At the launch of the India-spec Ford Endeavour in Mumbai this week, Ford India President and MD, Nigel Harris, told IndianAutosBlog that the concept of a spruced up Ford Figo ‘Cross’ is interesting.

2015-Ford-Figo-first-drive-top-side-review.jpg

Read more: Ford India is "looking at" a Ford Figo Cross variant
Follow us: @indianautos on Twitter | IndianAutosBlog on Facebook

Thread Starter #3
Re: Ford Figo Cross Coming Soon

Ford Figo Cross – IAB Rendering

Ford-Figo-Cross-Rendering.jpg

Speaking to Indian Autos Blog at the new Ford Endeavour’s launch in Mumbai last week, Ford India’s president and managing director, Mr. Nigel Harris, said that an idea of a Ford Figo Cross was “interesting”, and something the company was “looking at”.

Read more: Ford Figo Cross - IAB Rendering
Follow us: @indianautos on Twitter | IndianAutosBlog on Facebook

what is so much fetish around the "cross". Basically what does the word cross mean?

Cross between car and bike? car and Truck? what? What is the difference between a normal car and cross (only the added plastic cladding) ? There is no change in the dimensions, or noticable power then why the hell call it cross. Yes it does sell the market but people are so stupid or they dont care about the word "cross"?

Well i dont want ford also do the cross business with figo twins.

The only decent "Cross-hatch" worth the power and price is the Avventura Abarth. You get a rocket that is jungle-capable. If I were in the market for a cross and not wanting any large boot space, I'd buy the Abarth Avvy in a heartbeat. 140 BHP, 210NM petrol , 205mm GC. For 11.3 lacs. Doesnt get any better than that!

This might be Ford's idea to counter the Brezza, Ecosport might be too heavy to compete with a lightweight Maruti, Maruti's give good performance with similar engines due to Light weight chassis.

A Figo cross might be have VFM pricing, VFM mileage and VFM maintenance aspects of the Maruti Brezza.

I can bet the Hyundai Kappa, Ford 1.2, Honda 1.2 vtec, K-12 all have similar power and torque curves. But the K-12 is a much more fun to drive in the swift or the much lighter Baleno. So I think all manufacturers will move in this direction.

Even the 1.0 Ecoboost might have the best technology but in 1260KG ecosport it will perform like 1.2 NA in in 865 kg Baleno in straight line performance, offcourse at Higher speeds the ES will have better stability.

P.S 865KG-890 KG new technology Baleno becomes 1005 KG in Spain with 1.0 Turbocharged Engine.

@advik,I would differ from your opinion about the comparison between Brezza and this contraption. Brezza, is coming in to the market to kill ecosport,creta,duster and competition above that.What Scross couldn't do.
Now there is a difference when you say cross.A cross must be something in between a SUV and a car.Adding of plastic claddings and pricing it higher don't make any hatch back a cross.Definitely ford is trying to catch up in the market where KUV100 and Kwid 1.0 will dwell.But,that may not go well with the consumers.

Brezza Coming at uder 4m, will compete mainly with Ecosport and I20 Active, will most probably have at the advantage of being much lighter weight, its A pillar is much smaller than the Ecosport is a dead give away.

I think the Figo Cross, I20 Active are good cars and cant be dismissed as Contraptions. Etios and VW cross were really bad jobs. But there is market out there for in the price band.

Ecosport given its heavy build losses out on customers due to price. A certain percentage of customers will opt for Figo cross. But certaintly not the number of people who will go for Brezza.

BTW, KWID competes with Alto, I think KuV 100 competes at a slightly higher level.

Last edited:

I think rather than the Figo cross, Ford to should try an Ecosport Light variant, where structural bits are removed and match the price, Kerb Weight and Features of Vitara Brezza. Otherwise there is no way the the Heavier Ecosport will be able to compete with the Lighter Vitara Brezza.

The Figo cross will hardly bring in too many numbers

I think rather than the Figo cross, Ford to should try an Ecosport Light variant, where structural bits are removed and match the price, Kerb Weight and Features of Vitara Brezza. Otherwise there is no way the the Heavier Ecosport will be able to compete with the Lighter Vitara Brezza.

The Figo cross will hardly bring in too many numbers
The heft of the Ecosport is what makes it safe. Lets thank Ford for atleast not making tin-cans for some of its cars. They have already compromised a bit on the Figo/Aspire.

Just to stand in competition the company must not compromise on safety. Coz the person sitting next to you in you car is or may be your family or friend.

Already we Indian people are compromising on safety with cheaper price vehicle with thinner car body cage, avoiding ABS, Airbags, ESP like safety features just to settle down on low price. Infact, I see many people buy a lower variant car for less price.

Thanks to companies who make a some solid cars.

Re: Ford's New Premium Hatchback Planned For India

2018 Ford Figo (2019 Ford Ka) to launch with a subtle facelift – Rendering

Source: https://indianautosblog.com/2018/01/2018-ford-figo-2019-ford-ka-launch-facelift-rendering-294999
With PASS also entering India Ford's need to lift the game at least two notches , these new changes are a MUST to survive the new entrants tide,
I hope Ford doesn't make new launches too late to go unnoticed inbetween the new entrants.

The good news is Ford has decided to keep the new Figo Cross AT engine 1.5l itself, don't know what will be in Figo hatch back and Aspire. But Figo Cross will get new 123 PS Dragon Petrol mated with 6F15 Torque converter Auto, this will make it easily the best petrol automatic car in India under 10 lakhs, with superb power to weight, good ground clearance, and good mileage and smooth gearbox.

I guess in the next update, Ford would be upgrading the present Figo twins with the Dragon series engines and new auto gearbox. Does not make much sense to continue producing both engines side by side. The 3 cylinder engine would also be costing lower to produce, and same would be the case for the GB, of DCT vs torque converter automatic.

I am sure they would be testing the Figo twins along side with these engines, and maybe launching it after the crossover, so that the Crossover has more to offer as compared to the Figo, and that would help the sales people to move a customer towards the crossover.

I guess in the next update, Ford would be upgrading the present Figo twins with the Dragon series engines and new auto gearbox. Does not make much sense to continue producing both engines side by side. The 3 cylinder engine would also be costing lower to produce, and same would be the case for the GB, of DCT vs torque converter automatic.

I am sure they would be testing the Figo twins along side with these engines, and maybe launching it after the crossover, so that the Crossover has more to offer as compared to the Figo, and that would help the sales people to move a customer towards the crossover.
The next update is due and it will be 2018 November for Figo twins and 2018 July for Figo Cross
The Figo twins will get SYNC 3 and new MX65 Manual Gearbox instead of IB5, the MX65 is cost effective and is made by Getrag BIG COMPANY so it wont be bad at all

The new 1.2 Dragon is a derivative of 1.5 i3 Dragon developed by Ford Brazil, and new 1.2 Dragon is India specific engine and is made only in INDIA, this is a BIG move because this shows Ford is serious about India unlike GM, they are planning to do R&D and even make engine specifically for India
The Figo Cross will be a great product but sales wise they will never be in league of Elite i20,Baleno,Jazz
The new auto gearbox for Figo twins will most probably be AMTs
But for Figo Cross petrol its almost sure its same engine and AT gearbox as in Ecosport AT which is very unique and best trump card for Figo Cross in my opinion

Ford definitely wont be among top 5 sellers in India as thats almost like reserved for Japanese and Korean and some Indian brands, but it can easily be the best of the rest and thats no bad thing considering the other rivals that have competed and failed to better Ford.

Top Bottom