Ford Figo ZXi (Petrol) 2010 Ownership Review

Thread Starter #46
Another mileage report
Tested the car with full AC and the in city mileage is 11.74 kmpl
And in extra urban with AC off with 2 passengers its 14.57 kmpl

Extra urban does not mean highway, its just that its not city but scarce traffic roads.

Good mileage considering the claimed ARAI is 15 kmpl for Figo 1.2 Petrol

Its now close to 6 years and 10 months of ownership, till date I have spent not more than 30,000 Rs on service and repairs, and this repairs include 2 suspension over hauls ie front left and rear left suspension and minor rattle fixings

What I feel about Ford still holds true, if we take care of our car it will hold strong and is as cheap or cheaper than even Maruti to service and maintain , and when we add the unbeatable FUN to drive DNA of Ford this car has been a joy to use and is still a pleasure to drive even for the small errands that I do weekly
Odometer reads 47343 kms as of now so close to 6800 kms a year, so I guess my next ride too will be a petrol as running seems to justify petrol more

And I am looking for a new car to replace my BABY Figo, its not that I hate it but the lack of ABS and Airbags on my ZXi hurts me, so I will be replacing mine shortly with either new Nexon or new face lift Ecosport 1.5l Petrol within few months

Last edited:
even i got a 2015 model petrol zxi.my model did not came with rear wiper.when new,i used to get same pathetic mileage but as i logged the kms,the mileage got improved.as i use 90% without ac,i am gettig close to 18kmpl.
Photo-0063.jpg
Photo-0064.jpg

Thread Starter #48
even i got a 2015 model petrol zxi.my model did not came with rear wiper.when new,i used to get same pathetic mileage but as i logged the kms,the mileage got improved.as i use 90% without ac,i am gettig close to 18kmpl.
View attachment 233125
View attachment 233126
Well thats good and bad news,
But zxi has rear wipers, cant believe Ford took off rear wipers off from facelift for zxi.
Anyway good to hear 18 kmpl range mileage, I run 99% time with AC on so 11-12 kmpl is what I get mostly, and the ever popular Swift too dosent realy get better mileage despite being over 100 kgs lighter, so thats good for an old Rocam petrol motor.

Thread Starter #49
Got my Figo service for its 7th year or 70,000 kms service
there were couple of issues
1. Loose front drive shaft
2. Weak A engine mount
3. A broken Wiper fluid tank

The Service adviser said its due to some under body hits from unscientific speed breakers that led to these issues
The Engine mounts are just weak, not necessary to be replaced, but I am feeling slight resonance and vibration due to this, Ford service says the cost for replacing it is Rs 5900+ tax+ labour totaling to Rs 6300, so I said not to do this work as they too agreed its not a MUST, but should be taken care of within next 25,000 kms
The wiper tank has a reservoir and a cap holder, the cap holder and the grooves are broken probably due to a hit and so the wiper fluid levels will always be at reserve level, the reserve is fine, so kept it as such, changing them will cost Rs 3900 including labour
The drive shaft was taken care of by greasing and hammering the bend and with a small weld, total cost for this was RS 2500
Total service bill came to Rs 7303
The cost break up was 3888 Rs for regular 70k kms service ie engine oil change+ gasket replacement+fuel and air filter change,
Rs 1315 Rs for interior and exterior cleaning
And 2500 Rs for the drive shaft work

After the service
The car was delivered in time by Harry Ford and I ve got to say the work done was fantastic,
The car now drives much more smooth and has a change in character, my car after 47000 kms had this high rpm raspy noise, now its gone, revs a little more free and top end ie 4000+ rpm seems a little more smooth than before
The clutch and brakes too have smoothed out, the brakes now have a slight gluey feel that was not present before, its a good thing when braking hard, but on city stop and go traffic this smoothness needs some getting used to as I was so much used to the previous brake feel.
THE suspension was inspected and were greased and tightened and boy does it make a world of a difference, the car had started to crash over bumps specially when tire pressure was above 32 psi, but after this service even at 32 psi it feels really good and the damping is so damn perfect unlike any other Hyundai,Honda, Maruti etc, its superb the balance of comfort and stiffness Ford suspension offers still is unrivaled , really love driving this machine, also the noise has come down drastically well, suspension noise etc at expansion joints on roads feel just a distant thud unlike drummy noises in Marutis,Hyundais, and some Hondas

The A engine mount work is something I will be doing in next service, as of now its not posing big issues, but I love this machine and I dont want it to be punished , so I will be doing the mount repair by next service,

The car has an odometer reading of 48790 kms as of now, enjoying every kms driven and hope it keeps doing this in future.

Thread Starter #50
Just another update at 53790 kms

Car is running fine, have put new Mischellin XM2 tires up front and JK Vectra on the rear,
The cars cabin quietness have considerably improved after this upgrade, also upgraded is the lateral GRIP, so more fun to drive despite the kms crossed
The car has some noises coming from the steering, I feel its the hydraulic steering rack thats creating noise or it could be an ailing tie rod, not sure, need to get it check at next service.

The AC seems to be less effective than what it used to be, so need to check the air flow as well

There is some vibrations specially when idling or when between 900-1100 rpm, seems like the engine mount too is getting weak, Ford quoted Rs 6000 for replacing engine mount including labor, not cheap neither expensive, will be replacing engine mount in next service.

Overall mileage for the past 7000 odd kms the mileage still remains same,
With 80-85% city driving and between 15-20% highway driving, overall fuel efficiency stays at 12.48 kmpl , 99% of time I drive with AC ON, so not a bad mileage.

Did a 132 km trip last week and the overall mileage attained with 3 adults on board and full AC was 15.50 kmpl, right where the ARAI of Figo was back in 2010 ie 15 kmpl or shall I say exceeded ARAI [:)]

Anyway even after 7 years and 6 months still would rate it a better car than India's most popular cars like Maruti SWift 1.2 Petrol and Hyundai i10 1.2 petrol, for someone who have low running per annum, I still prefer petrol cars despite the hefty 80+ Rs petrol prices , and if people are still wondering and questioning, shall I put money on FORD, I say a big "YES".

Who told you Swift doesn't get mileage-
Swift Petrol ZXi- City i get 15kmpl,if bumper to bumper traffic then 13kmpl ,highways-20kmpl
Always with A/c,and all shifts within 2k RPM.
In highways when i blast out (Shifts above 2k rpm,the mileage is reduced to 16kmpl)

Suzuki's VVT-Kseries engine is as reliable as Ivtec of Honda.

Ford is best with their Diesels and in Petrols,their benchmark is Ecoboost engine ,all other petrol engines are not really ideal for our country's driving conditions.

Thread Starter #52
Who told you Swift doesn't get mileage-
Swift Petrol ZXi- City i get 15kmpl,if bumper to bumper traffic then 13kmpl ,highways-20kmpl
Always with A/c,and all shifts within 2k RPM.
In highways when i blast out (Shifts above 2k rpm,the mileage is reduced to 16kmpl)

Suzuki's VVT-Kseries engine is as reliable as Ivtec of Honda.

Ford is best with their Diesels and in Petrols,their benchmark is Ecoboost engine ,all other petrol engines are not really ideal for our country's driving conditions.
Well its reasonable, I didnt tell Figos 1.2 Rocam is a better petrol engine than Suzukis 1.2 VVT, I just claimed that Figos 1.2 has an ARAI of 15 kmpl and I can achieve that without much fuzz, even with 3 on board.
Do remember kerb weights too when quoting mileage, Swift is a tin can compared to Ford, weighing just under 900 kgs, Figo petrol itself weighs 1040 kg, so its already at an efficiency disadvantage compared to Swift, I still think as a car the Figo petrol is a better car than Swift petrol despite weaker petrol engine, the Figo petrol back in 2010 was around 25k less expensive than a VXi model thats has comparable features to mine, also the Swift has pathetic back seat space compared to Figo petrol also boot too is really bad compared to 2010 Figo, then no need to mention built quality and safety of Swifts which is really bad compared with Figo, even small things, ever heard the stock music system of Figo vs Swift? The Swift is way way pathetic compared to Figo, then the ubiquitous fun to drive nature of Ford is any day in a better league than Swift,, then the brakes, I still think Swifts and Dzires of that gen had some weak brake issue, not all cars but a lot had this issue, add to it over 7 months waiting time for an inferior product at a higher price, I opted for the Ford and I dont regret one bit, its a better choice, all the efficiency advantage the Swift has has been countered extremely well by Ford in other regards.

Last edited:
I loved the spirit in you for fighting it out and justifying your views clearly -Just would like to add 2 things-
1.Features wise in 2010- Figo wasn't VFM(No rear power windows)-You may see you can live without it,still its a basic feature
2.Rear legroom space even lesser than swift (I agree Ford has the Driver's DNA)
3.Fun to drive-Any reviews,one can see Suzuki Swift getting acclaimed for its Handling
4.Diesel brake issue- Petrols have better braking (Top variants),the diesels brake callibration is an issue ,i agree completely with you.
5.Crash test of full option Swift gave -3/5

Plus points of Ford
1.Build quality
2.For a driver's car ,its best in segment which no one takes notice,Full Opt Petrol Swift -You can buy Full opt Diesel Figo with adding just 20k
3.Durability of Parts-For the cost you pay you get parts which last for the duration.
4.Have seen total loss Figo in ASS-And in all cases the passengers and drivers have escaped with just scratches(Scratches only due to movable items inside car)-While the Car's condition will say a different story.All owners of the same ,will definitely go again for Ford itself.

My next car would definitely not be a suzuki -
Not that i am loyal to Suzuki,but felt presently Suzuki has adopted Cost cutting,starting from its Chassis block -Which is a crucial element for rigidity.Engine wise also Suzuki diesel(DDis-from Fiat)-Its quality has been reduced ,by using Ceramic core rather than aluminium /Cast iron block-Thus its not suited to Indian Fuel conditions-Susceptibly prone to Fuel Pump failures,low durability .

Thread Starter #54
I loved the spirit in you for fighting it out and justifying your views clearly -Just would like to add 2 things-
1.Features wise in 2010- Figo wasn't VFM(No rear power windows)-You may see you can live without it,still its a basic feature
2.Rear legroom space even lesser than swift (I agree Ford has the Driver's DNA)
3.Fun to drive-Any reviews,one can see Suzuki Swift getting acclaimed for its Handling
4.Diesel brake issue- Petrols have better braking (Top variants),the diesels brake callibration is an issue ,i agree completely with you.
5.Crash test of full option Swift gave -3/5

Plus points of Ford
1.Build quality
2.For a driver's car ,its best in segment which no one takes notice,Full Opt Petrol Swift -You can buy Full opt Diesel Figo with adding just 20k
3.Durability of Parts-For the cost you pay you get parts which last for the duration.
4.Have seen total loss Figo in ASS-And in all cases the passengers and drivers have escaped with just scratches(Scratches only due to movable items inside car)-While the Car's condition will say a different story.All owners of the same ,will definitely go again for Ford itself.

My next car would definitely not be a suzuki -
Not that i am loyal to Suzuki,but felt presently Suzuki has adopted Cost cutting,starting from its Chassis block -Which is a crucial element for rigidity.Engine wise also Suzuki diesel(DDis-from Fiat)-Its quality has been reduced ,by using Ceramic core rather than aluminium /Cast iron block-Thus its not suited to Indian Fuel conditions-Susceptibly prone to Fuel Pump failures,low durability .
I am not justifying my views alone,I feel I am justifying facts that a lot of people miss out in the name of so called reliability and cheapness to maintain etc,
1. I agree the lack of power windows is a MISS, and I agree its bad specially since all of its competitors had them
2. Rear legroom is in no way less than SWift, shows how much time you havent spend on Figos back seats, I am quiet confident that back in 2010, no other hatch back had the same comfort that Figo offered, whether be it seat angle, the firm yet not overtly soft cushioned seats, the tumble down feature for back seats and talk about leg space (switch to 11:00 min mark for back seat space comparison)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BuT0-LEX2eU&t=399s
Its definitely better than SWift and the under thigh support of Figos seats too are far better making long journeys in back seat even more comfortable than some what more flat seats of SWift , I even remember measuring Figo back seats with a 3m tape and I still remember it had nearly 1-2 inch more legroom than SWift.
3. Handling OK again
I am not saying SWift is a bad handling car, its there but its still not good enough to rival Ford,VW,Fiat handling its still best of Japanese cars but not in league of Figo, specially the hydraulic steering is far far far more responsive and accurate and feel some than SWifts lifeless steering which seemed responsive but not at all feel some compared to Figos. add to it the insane balance between ride and handling that even new Figo finds hard to match its still one of those Fords that has a DNA that gave it a place on WORLD'S BEST HANDLING FWD cars lists.
4. Well diesels did have a potential and dangerous issue right , and yet it sold like hot cakes making me feel, Suzuki sells car more on brand power and not on cars ability or comfort or quality alone .
5. Also do remember regarding safety Maruti got GNCAP 3 stars for its cars tested post 2014 only ,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvZKVaaEXjo
All Suzuki swifts prior to 2014 had 0 GNCAP scores , even structural integrity was lost whereas for Fords they passed UN56, but not UN64.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5N7VIAKE1s
and do note the structure was rated stable even at 64 kmph , so any day even back in 2010 the Figo is safer than SWift even without airbags upto 56 kmph
So think of it from 2005-2014 Suzuki sold India nearly 15 LAKH cars that didnt even pass UN56 a very basic 56 kmph crash test.

Now thats not just the things that the Ford has over the SWift, its got a 110 cc air compressor for AC as opposed to 90 cc ones in SWifts, again forgot about stock music system of Ford , all speakers were Pioneer made if we add costs each speaker of SWift would be max 900-950 Rs but for Figos pioneer speaker it was between 2200-2500/ speaker and the sound quality of Fords stock system is just 8/10 compared to 6/10 for Suzuki, I mean I can point out more, but let me be honest here, there is no way a SWift is a better car than a Figo back in 2010 and it remained so even till 2017, but 2018 SWift is better than new gen Figos, will heartily agree with that.

Last edited:
Again our views differ now,I love present gen Figo than the new gen Swift .[;)]

Mainly due to the fact that new maruti platforms being built on again lighter chasis and body frame.
Gizmos keeps on increasing in suzukis ,but quality is a notch below its competitors.

Thread Starter #56
Again our views differ now,I love present gen Figo than the new gen Swift .[;)]

Mainly due to the fact that new maruti platforms being built on again lighter chasis and body frame.
Gizmos keeps on increasing in suzukis ,but quality is a notch below its competitors.
Well I am not saying new Figo is bad but they definitely has skimped on body shell strength compared to previous gen Ford Figo MK I, the structure of new gen Figo is rated unstable at 64 kmph impact, but still attained 3 star rating due to addition of airbags from lowest variant onwards.
Also new Figo has easily best diesel engine of any hatch back in India except for VW Polos TDi, its that good whether be it power , refinement to smoothness balance or efficiency on offer.

The things I do not like on new gen Figo are
1. Interior looks too bland compared to new gen Swift,gi10,Tigor,etc
2. Sheet metal and chassis strength.
3. EPS not as good as HPS of MK I Figo, still better than most others but the 1.5 petrol AT steering felt too loose and the 1.2 petrol too not good as compared to even Swifts steering. Diesel steering and suspension was good and better than current latest swift.
4. Back lights intrudes into boot ingress space, compared to almost rectangular opening area if MK I Figo which is super ergonomic.
5. Still no adjustable head rests even on T+ variants.
6. No 15" wheel as at least option.
7. No arm rests, projecor or HID beams, downgraded music system from MK I figo.

These are my gripes on MK II Figo, still I would rate it one of best hatch backs to buy on market today as its got most of essentials right. I hope the upcoming face lift will address a lot of issues by October 2018.

Thread Starter #57
We welcome a new car to our family

The new Honda Jazz V CVT

Took the new Jazz primarily for Dad and Mom who are finding it difficult to navigate in traffic with Manual cars, Chose Jazz CVT rather than AMTs due to its smooth city drive nature and relaxed nature, The Figo AT was too considered but the angular roof line and A Pillar made it difficult to bent over for Dad who is fighting back pain once in a while, owing to this Figo AT was ditched, the other car that had lot of chance was Hyundai Gi10 AT and Elite i20 AT, the Grand i10 was good but missed the big car feel even our 10 year old Figo has, it felt too soft and fragile , didnt feel confident driving it, the Elite i20 nearly had our money, but again, one has to tuck down and for ingress and egress , also the Elite i20 CVT felt way poorly tuned compared to Jazz CVT which felt better.

Coming to Figo,
Its done 62.6k Kms so far, still returning around 11-12 kmpl in city drives, The stock seat covers are torn, so need to find new seat covers , Also noticed some oil leak under the engine bay, Ford service said, just observe it once a week and to see if its getting worse, but I dont feel its getting worse, its a consistent leak , they said they will check out it within next service which is due on November 2019

Attachments

Congratulations for your new car.
This new ride will also serve you for lakhs of kilometres.
By the way, do you love driving dynamics of your Figo it jazz?

Thread Starter #59
Congratulations for your new car.
This new ride will also serve you for lakhs of kilometres.
By the way, do you love driving dynamics of your Figo it jazz?
Driving dynamics wise, there is no comparison, Figo is much better, the Jazz is a great family car, lot of space, super refined engine, good suspension, efficient engine, good ergonomics, great ingress and egress.
But we need to diversify in life na, not always we can go hooning, so a good family car was essential, like explianed before, tried all family cars and Jazz even though is is quiet expensive, has all the basics of a family car done right.

Top Bottom