FORD FIGO - Petrol or Diesel

Thread Starter #1
i need a car for my use in india while i am on vacation. i am a very sedate driver & i use my car very less (max 4 months in a year when i come home), only in very rare cases i go above 100. is figo petrol enough for me? i dont mind spending a bit more for diesel. i was confused because of the positive comments diesel engine is getting over petrol. what i need from a car is space, comfort, built quality (no rattles please) and driveability.

i have generated a small intrest in the new WagonR (kseries). but main worries are less space compared to figo, build quality and rattles, and the refinement of the 3 pot engine ( heard thet the sound is alittle on the higher side when compared to the earlier 4 cylinder engine).

350Z

Core Team
How much will the car be used in those 4 month period? Will someone else in your family use it once you return back to UAE? and If you are alone going to use the car for general purposes, then I don't think space should be much of concern in either of them but my advice would be to test drive the following cars in India, and then start contemplating for next step:

1) Ford Figo
2) Maruti Wagon-R
3) Chevy Beat
4) Fiat Punto
5) Maruti Swift

Please specify your budget which will help us to guide you further, only if you're not keen on figo. Also, Any approx. time frame of your comeback because soon Nissan Micra and Toyota Etios will be added in list too.

Drive Safe,
350Z

In your case going in for a petrol makes sense. Diesels engines needs to run frequently and not take long breaks in the garage. And moreover in your case the money which you spend for fuel will be very less i imagine and so it better going in for Petrol even if the running cost is high.

Go for WagonR if you ready to adjust with the 3 pot engine , Maruti has good A.S.S and so maintenance will be cheap and easy.

Figo is also a good car , build quality will be better, but Ford maintenance generally is costly but now steps are taken to reduce the prices of the spares!

Finally go for the car which your heart beats for and you will never regret buying that car!![:D]

Thread Starter #4
i usually come home once in 4 months. so basicaly the car will be driven max 100 days a year. and the main thing is that the car will be idle in my shed with out even cranking once for 2 months in between. my travelling will be usually with my family (5 well built humanbeings) so shoulder room and legspace is an important thing. maintenance and mileage is not an issue for me. if i had a 1.6 figo i would have readily gone for it. the problem with wagon r is that it still feels flimsy for me. may be i am spoilt with the ford focus hatch back i am drving here in uae. it is perfect car for me. i know its hard to find anything like that in india, but still..

@350z - punto and figo seems like the options that i would go for. i think i should opt out wagon r now. now its like punto or figo.

i ll be coming home this weekend. have to make a decision before that.

Last edited:

350Z

Core Team
Then opt for a petrol but you still didn't told us the approx. budget and if you're looking for some enthusiastic hatch, then Test Drive Figo once you're back in country and you should even look out for top-end Fiat Punto, Search around the forum and there are a lot of Punto related discussions + reviews.

fiat-grande-punto-front-f3q.jpg

FordFigo_02_1.jpg

Drive Safe,
350Z

Hey Rijish please answer the questions asked by 350Z.

1.How mush running will the car do in those 400 days?? Highway or city purpose??

2. Your budget??

3.When are you planning to purchase the car??

But by seeing your needs i guess the Figo petrol(variant depending on your budget) is the best bet for you. Has better leg and shoulder space than WagonR i guess and can seat 5 well built adults better than the WagonR!! And as you have said that mileage and maintenance is not a major factor then i think you can go for Figo. And for your running maintenance will not be high or tough either!!

Thread Starter #7
budjet is not really a constraint. 4-7 laks. its flexible. driving will be ike 60% city, 40% highways. and the highways i drive in kerala are not meant for highspeed driving. planning to buy car in may. can extend alittle bit if for good.

Last edited:

350Z

Core Team
But by seeing your needs i guess the Figo petrol(variant depending on your budget) is the best bet for you. Has better leg and shoulder space than WagonR i guess and can seat 5 well built adults better than the WagonR!! And as you have said that mileage and maintenance is not a major factor then i think you can go for Figo. And for your running maintenance will not be high or tough either!!
I've not sat in figo but I suspect if it's headroom or shoulder room will be as good as Wagon-R.

Drive Safe,
350Z

Thread Starter #10
Length - 3795 (Figo), 3539 (wagonr)

Width - 1680 (Figo), 1495 (wagonr)

Height - 1427 (Figo), 1700 (wagonr)

Weight - 1075 (Figo), 885 (wagonr)

seems like figo is smaller in height only.

And so if you don have any tall adults like me the Figo will serve you good.

But you still have not told us when will you be buying your car??

And hey why not take a look at Punto and i20 , i believe they are also more spacious!!

So that rules out Micra and Etios Hatch i guess!!

Why not consider also Swift , Ritz , Punto and i20 also?? IMO all these cars are also good enough!!

So that rules out Micra and Etios Hatch i guess!!

Why not consider also Swift , Ritz , Punto and i20 also?? IMO all these cars are also good enough!!
I think one shoud narrow down on the choises, otherwise very difficult to finalize. All cars are good.

my travelling will be usually with my family (5 well built humanbeings) so shoulder room and legspace is an important thing. maintenance and mileage is not an issue for me.
I don't see any hatch which can do justice you except Indica Vista.
But having said that, if Indica is not in your preference, I would suggest Punto, because of following reasons -
1. More Highway drive (~40%)
2. Since car will run very less, 15000KMs (1 year) service interval will be handy.

Figo is also looks promising. I don't have personal experience, but i see lots of Figo on road.

Last, just go to showroom, drive both Figo and Punto and take a call after what you experience.

Update us also.

I just sat on figo's driving seat. My knees were touching the steering wheel. And heard that steering is not tilt adjustable.
You can try Punto 1.2 petrol or 1.4 if you are an enthusiastic driver.
TD both the cars and go for the one which your heart says.

Top Bottom