Ford Figo Long Term Ownership & Dealership Review (20K Kms)

Thread Starter #1
Urge/Need for car:

I always believed in efficient public transportation with smaller carbon footprints on global scale and optimum and efficient utilization of road and other public space (read parking lots etc.). Due to this ideological belief, we (including my wife) never thought of buying a car. However things changed once we decided to have a baby. We planned (we are demographers) and it happened and our Doc. strictly advised us to travel by public transport or bumpy three wheelers. We started hiring a Kala/Pila (Maruti Eco) with monthly cost of 9000 since March. On top of it, we had to negotiate with the driver every hospital or other visit (detour from her office) and trust this was the worst part.

Fixing priorities/Budget/Fuel type/safety/Car type:

I was very clear from the outset about the safety features (cost little more but worth it in case of an eventuality) and this left with the choice of only top variants of either fuel type; petrol or diesel.

1. Budget: Was no issue but did not wanted to spend exorbitantly high on a hatch. I fixed my budget around 6.2-6.4 with sun films (V Kool).

2. Fuel type: I always wanted to run car with low cost and occasionally, if at all, I take her to highways, fuel bill should not burn hole in my pocket. Owing to this fact I shortlisted diesel initially but then changed my mind and decided for petrol and then again to diesel, I was really confused.

3. Car Type: I wanted to have a city hatch with which I can hit highways occasionally. Hatch means no parking pain and easy to maneuver on Delhi roads.

Cars short listed:

Meeting aforementioned criterion, I finalized following cars:

Diesel: Figo, Fabia, Swift (did not consider Indica due to cab image though its fabulous product, Grande Punto due to Fiat services have nothing to write home about).

Petrol: Fabia, Sift, Polo, Honda Jazz, i20.

TD experience: Let me clear certain points which are subjective and contentious such as TD vehicle did not arrive on time or TD car was not clean etc. Personally I am very punctual and always respect time but this was not deal breaker because SA’s deal many customers simultaneously and very low percentage of enquiries and TD’s realizing into actual sale.

Figo: Car was smooth and turbo lag was minimal though noticeable. Ford has flattened the torque to suit the urban drivability. I liked the car, equipment on top variants except Automatic Climate Control, steering reach and rack adjustment, rear theater style reading lights, electrically folding ORVMs.

Fabia: I always loved this car inside out and I still do. Car is screwed together nicely, no rough edges, not visible panel gaps, high quality plastics thought hard to touch but can resist abuse mated by owners. Few goodies missing: ACC, rear wash wiper (very useful in hatches during Monsoon), rear defogger, electrically adjustable and folding ORVMS, rear speakers (though I did not miss them as factory fitted music system is among the best in class or one segment above).

Positives of Fabia: Cavernous boot (315 liters next only to Jazz), rear bench space, very good noise insulation, anti pinch front windows and real power windows, very powerful AC (though manual)

Horror stories of Skoda after sale service: I have heard and read a lot on other automotive forums (now I feel they are actually biased and have made mountain out of mole). Dealer experience was pretty good; TD vehicle came on time (always) and gave me 4 TDs (same dealer), SA was really good. Skoda have service interval of 15000 with service cost of 5500 (with synthetic oil which is 850-900 Rs/ltr).

Fabia diesel had huge turbo lag below 1600-1800 rpms but progress was agonizingly slow but after that it was different world all together and experience. Car was planted at 120 (on Delhi-Gurgaon E-Way), breaking was confidence inspiring, and within city traffic gear shift was minimal.
Fabia Petrol: Petrol was pure delight to drive and not complains whatsoever. NOTE: Gear shift is smooth as silk.

Polo- Petrol: I booked a TD over phone and SA told me that he will bring car to my door next day but he didn’t turn up (remember he did not bother to call me). One fine evening I went to WV Saket dealer at 8.45 in the evening. They were off for the day but SA took me for a short spin. Car share’s engine with Fabia so same story for petrol (no complains) pure fun but car is more of style and less on mettle. Rear bench space was low and boot was comparable with Figo (285 ltrs). Was actually put me off was its atrociously high price for highline variant with no offers. This was deal breaker.

Swift Petrol: Maruti does not believe in providing TD vehicle for hot selling cars such as Alto, Swift and its sedan. SA obliged me to do reverse in the parking lot.

Swift Diesel: TD for diesel is unknown word for Maruti. In fact SA told me to borrow from friends and make my mind as they sold their TD vehicle as well with 12000 on ODO.

I20: Everything was fine but very weak AC and subpar performance of car. I did not consider this car beyond this point.

JAZZ: Very good car with loads of features but overpriced. SA gave me deal of 7.20 OTR Delhi for mid variant.

PRICES:

1. Fabia Petrol: 6 Lakh OTR (Delhi) with Basic Kit, Teflon Coating for Elegance.
2. Swift Petrol: 5.85 with absolutely no free goodies.
3. Polo: 6.90 OTR for high line (Deal breaker)

Diesel:

1. Figo: 6.23 OTR Delhi with Titanium kit (Side beadings, fog lamps, 4 alloy wheels, PU seat covers), parking sensors, baic kit (mud flaps and floor mats).
2. Fabia: I did not considered diesel seriously due to turbo lag in the city range (less than 1800-2000 Rpms).

Booking:

After loving the Fabia, I booked it and paid half the amount on booking itself and was suppose to take delivery after 4 days in cappuccino beige colour with Good year GT 3 (185/60/R14).
Second thought:
I was talking to one of my colleague and he said, once you have car, invariably you will use it without thinking much about the running cost (indirectly he told me go for Diesel instead of petrol).

Next day I went to Delhi Ford with cheque book and took a comprehensive TD and paid the amount.
Refund from Skoda: I am yet to get money back. I hope by Tuesday I will get it back.

Dealership experience:

Pre Sale: SA was fine; manager was straight jacketed Sardar (I like this kind of people). I did not took anything verbal and told them to give me in writing which he did (not on letterhead but signed by him). Delivery: Due to non availability of Titanium Kit, I took delivery of car without it and SA told me that they will inform me and install it. Delivery in-charge was a nice guy and told me not to go for anti rust and Teflon coating due to heavy downpour.

Service Center Experience:

Yesterday I went to get Titanium Kit installed (I did not receive any call, In fact followed up). I reached service center at 12.00 and told the guys to get it installed. Before they could install, car had to be washed and washing took place at 2.30, after that anti-rust and Teflon coatings.
After this car was taken over by a seemingly (actually he is nice) nice guy to install seat covers, fog lamps and side protective strips. Somehow I insisted to have alloys first and other things later.
Nasty Scratches: After 30 minutes rubber was on alloys and guys (another) was about to fit them. Out of sheer curiosity I enquired; whether wheel balancing was done or not and actually he did not. After that he did and alloys were fitted and car was ready to be taken to body shop for other installments.

There was a scratch (entire screen was full of it) on parking sensor screen. I told them to replace it and area in-charge was quick to dismiss my claim by saying that, I should have checked it at the time of delivery.
Meanwhile I noticed scratched on one of the alloy wheel and then went on to check all four and to my horror all had nasty scratches. I informed them and asked to replace it. I called up their manager and asked him to come with me. He said sir aise scratches toh lagte hi hai. Aap chinta mat karo aur car gha le jao.

Mean while I figured out that these scratches were result of wheel balancing (wheel balancing machine has lock; kind of iron cap which was suppose to had rubber protection/gasket). Due to negligence of concerned person or apathy on the part of managerial staff this gasket was gone and resulted in direct contact of lock’s iron ring with the alloys.

Once manager got the real cause, he uttered two serious advises: install wheels without balancing and to avoid any problem doe to this, I should drive car more than 80 km/hr. But I flatly refused to take the delivery of vehicle until they install new alloys. Again he told me to take my money back and sacrifice idea of alloys. Finally mechanic (nice guy) came up with the solution. He advised to use foam for the protection of alloys during wheel balancing. This worked and I got newer set of alloys minus scratches.
By the time this high voltage drama unfolded, it was 7 Pm and I was informed to come next day get remaining stuff installed which I did today. Today was smooth and hitch free. In the process, I made quite a few friends (mechanic, spare manager and one customer).

About Car:

Do I need to write about the car now? People have filled pages after pages in the praise of this beauty.
Fuel Efficiency: Despite diesel, I am getting pretty low FE of 11-12 with 1st tank to tank method. My as of now my running limited to short distance of 5-10 kms in South Delhi with AC always on. I am not revving engine very hard, driving very sedately in the range of 1500-2000 rpms. I have not pusher engine beyond 2000 rpms yet.
I heard from other owners and informed by SA that I should get at least 15-16 with Ac within city and 20+ on highways (I haven’t touched highways yet). Guys please drop in your word of wisdom on FE and maintenance. [cheers]

Last edited by a moderator:
Thread Starter #2
Re: Diamond White Figo Titanium TDCi Initial Ownership and Dealership experience

Optical Illusion: Issue of Ground Clearance:

I had gone to Faridabad and trust me we really don't want any vehicle to drive on those roads leave cars. I did not bottom out on those roads (before crossing those plunge pools even some bolero driver also stopped and then crossed with almost precaution, I did the same and car came out unhurt).
I travelled alone. I have crossed one of the biggest and nasty hump in south Delhi in front of Vasant Vihar Thana so many times where maruti swift, wagon R, i20, i 10 and sedans all cross in 1st gear dead slow. So far I have not come across any problem.
I believe Figo's low planted stance produces optical illusion. Tyres are same in some of the cars in the segment.
Here are the tyre size and suspension type:
1. Fabia: 175/65/R14,
Front: Mc Pherson suspension with lower triangular links and torsion stabilizer,
Rear: Compound link crank-axle

2. Volkswagen Polo: 175/70/R14
Front: McPherson strut with stabilizer bar
Rear: Semi-independent trailing arm

3. Ford Figo: 175/65/R14
Front: Independent McPherson strut with dual path mounts
Rear: Semi-Independent twist beam, Coil springs

4. Maruti Swift: 165/80/R14
Front: MacPherson strut and coil spring
Rear: Torsion beam and coil spring

5. Nissan Micra: 165/70/R14
Front: McPherson Strut
Rear: Torsion Beam

6. Hyundai i20: 185/65/R14
Front: Mc Pherson Strut with Gas shock absorber Gas-filled
Rear:Couple Torsion Beam Axle with Gas shock absorber

7. Tata Indica Vista: 175/65/R14
Front: Independent; lower wish bone; McPherson Strut with Coil Spring
Rear: Semi-Independent; twist beam with coil spring and shock absorber

8. Fiat Grande Punto: 175/70/R14
Front:Independent Wheels suspension with...Mcpherson struts, double acting telescopic dampers with stabilizer bar
Rear: Torsion Beam double actiing telescopic dempers and stabilizer bar

Tyre Size: 175or 165 or 185 is width of tyre, Aspect ratio: Is height of sidewall: 65 mean 65% of width i.e. 175 mm. For Figo this is 113.75 and for 122.5 mm. this is less than 1 CM.
Figo and Indica are somewhat similar kind of suspension set up.
I believe what u have read about mud flaps getting damaged is partly due to hard plastics and partly negligent driving. Indica have no problem with ground clearance then, Figo shouldn't have either. Idica's are driven on worst possible roads across the India.
If you have decided to go for Figo then go ahead and get your beauty. Don’t forget to get Titanium kit which have Alloys (are 8 spoke fiesta wheels and look superb), Front fog lamps, side beadings, seat covers. Fabia's five spoke alloys are bland and boring.

Keep Reving

Brandoo

Re: Diamond White Figo Titanium TDCi Initial Ownership and Dealership experience

great detailed write up man..can you upload some pics of diamond figo?? [:)]

@brandoo
Nice write up. A review is incomplete without pics.So let them come in.[:)]

Thread Starter #5

@brandoo
Nice write up. A review is incomplete without pics.So let them come in.[:)]
Dear Ashikawa and dodge_v1per,

I will post some pics soon[:D]

Cheers
Brandoo

Last edited:
Thread Starter #6

Urge/Need for car:
We planned (we are demographers) and it happened and our Doc. strictly advised us to travel by public transport or bumpy three wheelers. [cheers]
Guys read this as "not advised us not to travel by public transport or bumpy three wheelers"[confused]

Ford figo is one of my favs in the diesel hatch category currently available. Best VFM car. Even my brother is in the process of finalising one (if he doesnt slip into Polo's charm though). Hearty congratulations on the acquisition [cheers]. I am sure Figo will not disappoint you in city at all.

Regarding FE - 11-12 is a little low, but then it will settle to a better figure after 1st servicing. Maintain a healthy pace for the car and I would suggest you take it out for a longer run like 40-50 kms in one go, so that engine opens up a little further. People I know who have Figo, mileage comes out to be 16-18 kmpl depending on the type of drive.

Thread Starter #8

Most of the time I drive sedately. I will take her to long drive some time.
Which model is your brother buying now. I believe I will get better FE once I go for 1st service as per schedule.
My friend is getting 20-22 on highway and 16 in city.

He is looking for ZXI. Titanium is a little over the budget. Yes as I said, FE should increase after 1st service.

Hey nice and detailed write up. There are many happy Figo Diesel owners who are satisfied with the FE. Dont worry it will surely go up after 1st service. Congrats and wish you miles of happy motoring with your diamond [thumbswink]

Thread Starter #11
Re: Ford Figo Titanium Diamond White Initial Ownership Experience

Hey Carfreak,
Thanx. I am hoping to get better FE with subsequent refuelling[:)]

Re: Ford Figo Titanium Diamond White Initial Ownership Experience

well excellent and very detailed review buddy! and yea post some pics asap!! [:)]

Thread Starter #14

Punto top end comes with 195/60 R15.
Other variants are 165/60 R14.
Thanx buddy for pointing out this but I took this for Emotion not for emotion pack and my source for this comparison was carwale. If they have made mistake then, inadvertently this must have crept into my comparison.

Cheers.....[:)][:)]

Top Bottom