Ford EcoSport Facelift 2018 Launched in India (Coverage Pg: 34)

Today later in a day Ill try to click some pics and post it. By the way audio is quite good with the bass port right in middle front.
sorry folks.....tried to upload some 20 pics of my new ford ecosport but cud not do so since my 4k camera clicked pics of almost 3 to 4 mb each which is not permissible. I will try to click with my other mobile phone with less resolution of 1 mb. I will post it by today evening.

By the way, I am enjoying the ride with the new blue ford. More details I will surely write here in 2-3 days time.

Ford EcoSport petrol to get sportier in India: Here is how!
Posted on April 18, 2018 by CarToq Editor
The facelifted Ford EcoSport is just a few months old in India, and is selling very well. Ford wants to keep the sales momentum going with new variants of the sub-4 meter SUV. Soon, the EcoSport will get sportier to drive as Ford is lining up the S badged model for the Indian market. The EcoSport S with the 1.5 liter Dragon petrol engine will offer a 6 speed manual gearbox. It’s also likely to pack in stiffer suspension for better handling. The EcoSport S will be a top-end variant, with new features such as smoked headlamps, alloy wheels with a different design and even a sunroof.

Ford is also expected to offer the EcoSport S with the 1.5 liter turbocharged diesel engine. While the petrol motor makes 122 PS and 150 Nm, the diesel motor manages 100 PS and 215 Nm. It remains to be seen if Ford also offers the 6 speed torque converter automatic gearbox option on the EcoSport S.

Generally, sport variants of cars in the affordable category don’t offer automatic variants as enthusiasts prefer manual gearboxes on sporty cars. Anyway, the EcoSport with the new gearbox and stiff suspension is expected to be launched in India within a few weeks considering that dealers have already started getting display cars.

Competition in the sub-4 meter compact SUV space is getting intense in India. Tata Motors is all set to launch two new AMT variants of the Nexon, in petrol and diesel. While the Maruti Brezza is still the leader of the segment despite offering only a diesel engine-manual gearbox combination, real competition is for the second place, with the Nexon and EcoSport battling it out. With Tata pushing in new variants of the Nexon, Ford will have to respond with a fresher EcoSport. In the coming months, Mahindra will also join this battle with the S201, an SUV based on the Ssangyong Tivoli.

Ford EcoSport to get a BIG power boost: Here’s how
Posted on April 20, 2018 by Shantonil Nag

Ford launched the new facelifted EcoSport in India last year. The compact SUV was launched with an all-new 1.5-litre petrol engine but the turbocharged EcoBoost petrol engine was missing from the line-up. Ford is now planning to re-introduce the 1.0-litre EcoBoost turbocharged petrol engine in the Indian market soon and here are all the details that you want to know about it.

EcoSport will soon get two new variants – Titanium S and the Signature Edition. Both the variants have been spied multiple times in the Indian market and they will be the most expensive variants in the line-up. The S variant will target the enthusiasts with better driving dynamics with the help of stiffer suspension set-up and even a sharper steering feedback in the Indian market. Apart from that, it will also get the more powerful 1.0-litre EcoBoost turbocharged petrol engine. There EcoSport S will also get the 1.5-litre diesel engine that develops a maximum of 98.5 Bhp and 205 Nm. The 1.0-litre EcoBoost engine produces a maximum power of 125 Bhp.

The EcoSport S is exported from the Indian manufacturing plant of Ford to many international markets. The car also looks much sportier with newly designed 17-inch wheels. It also gets a sunroof, which is a highly popular feature in the affordable cars and only one vehicle from the segment offers it right now. Other features include HID headlamps, tweaked instrument cluster with 4.2-inch SYNC3 touchscreen and a tyre pressure monitoring system (TPMS). To give it a unique identity, Ford will also offer contrasting roof colour, black inserts on various parts like grille, headlamps and the fog lamps. The S variant will also see the introduction of a new Satin Orange paint shade. This particular shade will get colour coordinated interiors too.

Ford will also launch the Signature Edition of the EcoSport soon. It will be based on the top of the line Titanium+ variant. It will get the current set of engines that power the regular variants. The Signature Edition is all about visual changes and it will get 17-inch alloy wheels with a slightly different design. There will be safety aids like electronic stability control and hill-start assist. Visual changes include a new rear spoiler and black inserts on the grille, headlamps and the fog lamps. It will also get a new Anodised Blue paint scheme with colour coordinated interiors. It will also get contrasting blue coloured stitches on the seat to match the exteriors.

Ford is expected to launch both the new variants by mid-May and the bookings are said to be open at select few dealerships at a payment of Rs. 30,000.

sorry folks.....tried to upload some 20 pics of my new ford ecosport but cud not do so since my 4k camera clicked pics of almost 3 to 4 mb each which is not permissib.
For reducing the size of photos, transfer to laptop or computer, and easily reduce the size upto 50/60% or as per size, make sure they are below 1mb, before uploading to the site.

Hope this helps.

Regards
Vinod

Hi Vinod, you are spot on as always! I will just add that I find Paint a very convenient, user friendly programme for reducing file size after downloading the pictures to the desktop, with the actual no of pixels to be entered in the window. Thus allowing you to control file size very accurately. I sincerely hope I don't sound like a moron!

Reading about MX 65 gearboxes, came accross this Getrag presentation from Aug 2015 where they mention a new plant being set up in India for MX65 family of gearboxes.

SO looks like this plant is operational and will replace all the IB5 gearboxes for India.

MX 65 family as per the list MX65 Family: 5MTT152, 5MTT215, 6MTT215.

From Page 7 of this link

http://www.getrag.com/media/media/text/cti_2015/2015_12_GETRAG_Lecture-Mx65.pdf

If the last 3 digits\ are for torque rating then I think the Figo, Freestyle, Aspire 1.2 Petrol's will get the 5MTT152, the Ecosport will get 5MTT215 and 6MTT215 GB's.

Another intresting info on page 29 of the Gearbox.

Typical application scenario:
 Mushroom: Central EU markets up to 300mm water
wading depth
 Membrane: Severe markets up to 550mm water
wading depth

Did not know Ford had to go even GB's design to give us 550mm Water wading capability of Ecosport. Intresting diagram on page 16 on what each market is very sensitive for, in India it is Highly sensitive to cost and Durability while Chinese Market is most sensitive to Rattle from the Gearbox.

Last edited:
Maruti has a hold in all areas of India due to its wide dealership network, Ford will be contained till it sells big volumes. Ford Sales comes mostly from the top 20 cities in India. What did the Figo twins was the launch of the Baleno with more space and touch screen at the same time. This took away many of the Figo's potential buyers. If Figo had been launched 6 months before it would have had good sales.
Ford could have done with a torque converter Automatic rather than AMT, AMT is cheaper but just see how Hyundia does things, a good 6 speed Torque converter Automatic would have made way more sense than an AMT, specially for cars from Freestyle and above, its OK to sell Figo and Aspire with AMT,but not Freestyle and Ecosport, still its good to see Ford is making a move in the Automatic game.

There is a lot of hatred for Ecosport Ecoboost engine on Team-BHP. Having owned one for 3.5 years, If you are mainly a City user but loves the occasion Highway drive, I would still today go and buy the Ecoboost version. a 6 speed gearbox will make all the better.

There is a lot of hatred for Ecosport Ecoboost engine on Team-BHP. Having owned one for 3.5 years, If you are mainly a City user but loves the occasion Highway drive, I would still today go and buy the Ecoboost version. a 6 speed gearbox will make all the better.
I do agree that ecoboost is not a city friendly engine, the main purpose is reduced COx emissions and mid range punch, and lower front end weight,
Ford should actually give ecoboost engine to small cars like Figo, that would be ideal, for Ecosport its not a great match, But a 1.2l ecoboost would have made wonders , the 1.0 can struggle a little bit in city traffic even if its 6 gears

Well it can, but you can downshift and its not too much of a problem, It is a pleasure to drive even within the city, you get used to shifting to 1st like a Diesel.

Even in heavy Ecosport and old IB5 it is fun to drive and can be relaxing to drive also on highways. Even with my normal style of driving I see I average about 10KMPL per hour faster than my fathers Honda City or my earlier accent. Mileage is also better. If priced correctly I would definitely recommend people for the S variant. It can add about 200-300 to Ecosport Sales Numbers. The hatred the engine gets on Team-Bhp is unwarranted. Yes it would be better in the Fiesta sedan or if Figo chassis- both milage and power, but the Ecosport it can still make Highway trips fun to drive or even close gaps/ overtake in city traffic.

Hello adivik and 1989rs500, my apologies in advance! - I have no wish to shove my oar in and start nit-picking. But only from a mech. engrs' point of view (I'm partial to robustness/durability/reliability as opposed to "smoothness"[:D]), I feel an AMT would give more peace of mind. Simply because a torque-converter auto (or slushbox as referred to in the jargon!) is a hydro-mechanical device and inherently needs more TLC, whereas an AMT is more an electro-mechanical device (may have peripheral hydraulic servo mechanisms) and is more abuse-friendly.

Last edited:
The Mechanics is ok, but the issue with AMT is that unlike DCT, there is only 1 clutch, so this changing of gear will cause some jerkiness and 2 in our stop and go traffic, with the computers controlling the clutch, it is inevitable that the clutch will require replacement, although is much more simpler than DCT.

The slush box will always have some torque loss except in more expensive cars where there coupling cluthes were decoupling happens at only very low speeds under 10KM.

I support AMT especially for non enthusiasts as it is automatic which is pretty simple to maintain without compromising on fuel efficiency.

Last edited:
The Mechanics is ok, but the issue with AMT is that unlike DCT, there is only 1 clutch, so this changing of gear will cause some jerkiness and 2 in our stop and go traffic, with the computers controlling the clutch, it is inevitable that the clutch will require replacement, although is much more simpler than DCT.
The slush box will always have some torque loss except in more expensive cars where there coupling cluthes were decoupling happens at only very low speeds under 10KM.
I support AMT especially for non enthusiasts as it is automatic which is pretty simple to maintain without compromising on fuel efficiency.
Once again I'll be honest and admit that, having spent over 45 years wallowing in automobilia (the latter 10 years with Mitsui's car carrier fleet), I'm a little cagey when I hear terms like enthusiasts & non-enthusiasts, specially in the Indian context. I've often come across 'enthusiasts' who have no idea what a torsen differential is or how an MLD works! The one thing I find we all agree on is the paramount importance of FE, "kitna deti hai?" Which, of course, is as it should be - after all, in a country where fuel prices seem to have little to do with crude prices, belt-tightening is the only option left[:)]!

Top Bottom