Ford Ecosport 1.5 TDCi Titanium (2016) Mars Red: The Mighty Apollo

Thread Starter #31
TL;DR - Stones lodged in the tread of my tyres lead to tyres making noise.

Since past 2 months I have been hearing a clicking sound from my Tyres (I think). Earlier, it was present only when I drove the car slowly. But now it is present at all speeds. I have driven almost a 1000 kms since.
First, I showed it to a tyre alignment shop since I thought the noise may be due to misalignment or unbalanced tyres. But he said that your car needs no alignment and he guessed that maybe the car's parking brake cable is making noise.
Then I took the car to Ford ASS, they also heard the sound. Then they put the car on lift and tried to check each tyre by rotating by hand and said that they can't diagnose it properly without opening the wheel assembly, which according to them was Rs. 1000 per tyre + Parts charge as applicable. Imo they were trying to fleece me so didn't get it done there.
Then I tried an FNG. Sad for me that the mechanic there couldn't even register the clicking noise. On my insistence to check further, he said that since passenger side rear tyre's rubber is cracking, he will replace it with stepney. But the sound still persisted.
Then, over all this time I noticed that there were a LOT of stones lodged into the tread of my tyres. So today I finally took upon myself to remove almost 80% of the stones. Then I drove the car for almost 6 kms and the noise seems to have subsided. I hope its not temporary.

Thread Starter #32
As mentioned in the above post, as I was dislodging those stones, I realized that the front two tyres have worn out and have reached the tread indicator level. Whereas the rear tyres and the stepney have more tread still left.

Sorry to admit this but I have not been regular with Balancing and Alignment routine. Hence, the uneven wear. Should I change the front two tyres right now and get the rest replaced later? Or get all of them changed together? Asking because of the Sale ongoing on Amazon.

Stock size options i.e. 205/60 R16 -
1) Kenda KR-10 - 3800 per tyre - Online reviews claim them to be reliable but unknown performance.
2) Falken Azenis PT722 - 5000 per tyre - Has good reviews on Tyrereview.co.uk
3) Yokohama Bluearth AE50 - 5500 per tyre - Online reviews claim them to be Noisy after some kms. Neither are they grippy.
4) Bridgestone Turanza T001 - 7500 per tyre - No idea
5) Michelin Primacy 4st - 7800 per tyre (Locally available for 8200 per tyre) - Great performance according to online reviews, but iffy reliability because of softer compound.

Not-so-Stock size options -
6) Michelin Primacy 4st 205/65 - 7000 per tyre - 3.14% slower which is beyond permissible 3% - Considering since they are CHEAPER than Stock size
7) Michelin Pilot Sport 4st 205/50 - 8300 per tyre - 3.14% faster - PILOT SPORTS for just 500 bucks more than Primacy!!! What more do I need to say? :D

MRFs were very reliable. I guess I had atmost 2 punctures over past 44000 kms. They had ample grip and never failed me even in wet conditions. Only con for past 25,000 kms was its Noise. I won't comment on Comfort as this also depends on the suspension and tyre pressure, but yes they weren't plush.
I am a sucker for 'Value for Money'. I think its better to go for an expensive tyre which has better performance and reliability and runs for 40-50,000 kms, instead of a cheap tyre which will not perform well, by virtue of its cost, and may conk off within 20-30,000 kms.
As you can see Kenda is at HALF the price of Michelins. I will prefer to go for Michelins, ONLY IF they offer me peace of mind, no noise, great grip for 50k+ kms.

bhvm

Honoured Member
1. You shouldn't notice much difference in well maintained, regular running cars with an oil change or additive. It's already running fine. So that's normal.

2. It's always recommend to change all 4 Tyres. However if your 2 are good you can get 2. I've had good experience with Yokohama & Falken.
Stay away from kenda or khumo.

Michellins are good for City ride but not as tough.

bhvm

Honoured Member
I pulled the stalk it switched to Low+High Beam, whereas now its on High Beam by default and switches to High+Low beam when stalked is pulled.
Just remembered this could happen if one of your headlight relays is backwards. Happens with 4 pin relays as 5 pin one's can't be fixed backwards.

Thread Starter #35
2. It's always recommend to change all 4 Tyres. However if your 2 are good you can get 2. I've had good experience with Yokohama & Falken.
Stay away from kenda or khumo.

Michellins are good for City ride but not as tough.
Thank you, sir for replying. I reside in MP and do sufficient amount of highway driving. But not all roads are paved and smooth. I think Yoko and Falken will be able to manage rough terrains as well. My only concern was if they will become noisy very soon.
I read somewhere that Primacy 4 have stiffer compound, so less prone to punctures and other scenarios. What is your opinion on that?
I am attaching pics of my tyres. Kindly see if you can find something out of the place.

Driver Front 1_1.jpg

Driver Front
Passenger Front 2_1.jpg

Passenger Front - Lots of Cracks around the alloy and just above sidewall.
Driver Rear 2_1.jpg

Driver Rear
Passenger Rear 1_1.jpg

Passenger Rear - Lots of cracks above sidewall - This one was Stepney a month back. FNG mechanic put this one on rear and rear one as Stepney claiming that it had cracks.

Thread Starter #37
Thread Starter #38
Falkens are noisy. Yokos not much

Haven't used Primacy.

Your tyres look OK. But they are dirty so its hard to tell.
I have decided to go for Yokos but The Yoko Bluearth AE 50 are XL Extra Load Reinforced tyres. Is there any disadvantage to go for such tyres?

bhvm

Honoured Member
Is there any disadvantage to go for such tyres?
Not really. They might be just a wee bit stiffer. But that will also improve Handling, Braking and of course Load carrying capacity. Stronger sidewalls also mean better puncture resistance. The tread is very mild.
Aren't you getting Earth 1 in that size?

Thread Starter #40
Not really. They might be just a wee bit stiffer. But that will also improve Handling, Braking and of course Load carrying capacity. Stronger sidewalls also mean better puncture resistance. The tread is very mild.
...but less comfort?

Aren't you getting Earth 1 in that size?
Yes but I had read that Bluearth are a segment higher than Earth 1. Also, Earth 1 is Rs. 100 expensive than Bluearth.

bhvm

Honoured Member
..but less comfort?
I've never head that Eccosport is very harsh or stiff. This might be an issue with cars which are very harsh to begin with.
Also, Earth 1 is Rs. 100 expensive than Bluearth.
I just didn't like the tread of blue earth very well. Looks like a mild tread focused towards Quiet ride and FE. (Low rolling resistance).
But in Indian conditions where we have Potholes, Sand, mud etc even on road, slightly aggressive tyres will be lifesavers.

Thread Starter #42
I've never head that Eccosport is very harsh or stiff. This might be an issue with cars which are very harsh to begin with.
Ride is not harsh per se but yes, Ecosport has firm suspension. And a little bit of tweaking with tyre pressure makes the ride comfortable.

I just didn't like the tread of blue earth very well. Looks like a mild tread focused towards Quiet ride and FE. (Low rolling resistance).
But in Indian conditions where we have Potholes, Sand, mud etc even on road, slightly aggressive tyres will be lifesavers.
Now I am even more confused. What are the pros of Earth 1 compared to Bluearth?

Can you look at the Yoko Bluearth RV02's tread pattern as well. They are recently launched for CUV and MUVs.
BluEarth RV-02 - A BluEarth grand touring tire tunedfor CUVs & MPVs

bhvm

Honoured Member
What are the pros of Earth 1 compared to Bluearth?
Slightly more aggressive siping. Especially for water channeling. Also better grip in Sand/ Dirt.
Yoko Bluearth RV02's tread pattern as well
Its a biased pattern (Different left vs Right). A nightmare for tyre flipping & Rotation. Not famous in India.
They are recently launched for CUV and MUVs.
For any Crossover which has even a slight chance of offroading I would go with AT tyres. Slightly higher noise, yes. But The braking, Grip on uneven surfaces, Puncture resistance is excellent.
I dug entire city to find ATs for my XUV. But it has now done 40K Kms on Falken Wildpeak AT without a single puncture. Also handled some offroading here and there.

[Honest Review] Yokohama Earth 1 Tyres: Really Designed For India

Last edited:

Top Bottom