Force Gurkha: One Month Of Ownership Review

Hi Friends... I own one year old Gurkha..the old model BSIII. I am facing speed issue with the vehicle. My Gurkha starts missing once it goes beyond the speed of 80. i showed it to the engineers at Rama Road, Delhi and they changed the air filter but the problem is still the same. I cannot speed it beyond 80 as it starts missing and jerking badly. Has anyone faced the similar issue. Thanks

Thread Starter #17
My Gurkha starts missing once it goes beyond the speed of 80. i showed it to the engineers at Rama Road, Delhi and they changed the air filter but the problem is still the same. I cannot speed it beyond 80 as it starts missing and jerking badly. Has anyone faced the similar issue. Thanks
Does EDC light turn on after facing this thing. If so, do get it scanned from Force Dealership. Reason would most likely be related to an electronic sensor, which could be ascertained only after a scan. Regards.

Hello Dear Gurkha owners,

I own a 2 years old Force Gurkha and has about 13000km on it. Just today the EDC light showed up and flashing, even when the engine is off. I had the service done last week and I believe the local force workshop has changed the engine oil and oil filter during the regular oil change. Any idea whats going on?

Best,

bhvm

Honoured Member
Hello Dear Gurkha owners,

I own a 2 years old Force Gurkha and has about 13000km on it. Just today the EDC light showed up and flashing, even when the engine is off. I had the service done last week and I believe the local force workshop has changed the engine oil and oil filter during the regular oil change. Any idea whats going on?

Best,
They probably knocked off some sensor connector. getting an OBD scan would be best bet.

Thread Starter #20
Hello to all forum members and other readers, sorry for not coming back to this post for such a long time. Always thought will write a detailed report but that never happened. So thought of sharing my experience with Gurkha in brief and what all changed for good and bad, during almost the last four years of ownership and driving it for about 75,000+ kms.

Things that have changed altogether for good:
Engine:
Well it is an old-school Mercedes based engine, which has been changed to DI to suit the emission norms. During initial days of my ownership, engine felt archaic, took ages to rev up and eons to reach highway speed. But soon things changed for good. It all began with change of engine oil to Mobil Delvac MX and also with proper running in of engine. From slow, underpowered vehicle, Gurkha suddenly turned to be a nimble and agile one.
After each oil change interval, engine turned to come out better than last time. Though things changed for good post 10,000 km of running, best of the potential was realised only after a good 50,000 km of running.
I will recommend to all Gurkha DI owners to go for MOBIL DELVAC MX engine oil to get the best from this beast.

Gearbox: Initially it was impossible to engage 1st gear on the move and it used to make things worse in steep hilly terrains around Shimla, where due to Gurkha’s weight it was not moving up in 2nd gear and 1st gear wont engage until it was completely stationery. However, once the gear oil was changed to MOBIL ATF DEXRON II and within 500 kms, gear shifts became butter smooth. This gear oil is recommended for automatic boxes, however, on recommendation of fellow Gurkha owners, this switchover worked miracles for gearbox. Even though mechanics always raise concern for its less viscosity, but even after changing it for an interval of 40,000 km plus, oil still retained its viscosity and even its color.
I will recommend to all Gurkha DI owners to change gear box oil to MOBIL ATF Dexron II at the earliest and notice the positive change in gearshifts for themselves.

Ride: Just like I had mentioned during the initial review, ride remains the biggest plus of the vehicle even after 75,000 kms of pounding it received on rough roads. There is absolutely no body roll and suspension is very good for first row passengers and decent for rear row ones as well.
I have upgraded tyres to YOKOHAMA GEOLANDER 265/70 R16 AT and have realised true potential of the vehicle only after that. They provide excellent grip in snow conditions, have taken Gurkha to Kinnaur, Spiti, Narkanda and Kufri during peak of snow storms and it felt planted through out when no other vehicle was even plying on roads. And during those days, when entire Shimla was stand still, it was plying comfortably even on black ice roads.
So from Apollo flip flops, Yokos have proven to be excellent spikes.

Turning Radius: During initial days, Gurkha had humongous turning radius, almost as large as a mini bus. It was quite an issue especially in narrow hill roads. However, one can attribute it to carelessness of Force Motors, there is a turning limiter bolt in front tyres, which was not properly adjusted. Once that was done at workshop, Gurkha started to turn like any other vehicle and now it’s the preferred vehicle that I take to hills or bazaars.

Misc. but very important: Body rattles have completely gone after proper tightening of nuts and bolts all around and also after proper greasing of chasis. Also, the bonnet locks were changed and worked excellently after that under warranty. The engine heat up issue was also rectified with change to smaller pulley for water pump. It seemed that pulley for Non-AC model was used in my vehicle. This too was changed under warranty.

Things that continue to annoy me:
1. Water leakages: Despite all my efforts, I couldn't stop minor water leakages inside the cabin.

2. Horn plate: Horn plate comes out in hand on its own and this was present even at the time of purchase. However, it still cannot be rectified.

Go for It:
  • For its go anywhere capability.
  • Excellent road presence
  • Safety – not talking about ABS/ Air Bags but the virtue of its brute looks.
  • Spacious Interiors – I am not sure which vehicle will I buy after Gurkha, the space it offers has literally spoiled me.
  • Drivability – no need to shift gears even for minor variations, works just like an automatic
  • Effective Air Conditioner
  • Build strength especially of core mechanical parts.
  • Decent highway performance – feels like a tank even at 100 KMPH
  • To be a member of always helpful and enriching Gurkha owners community with each one to share their own Gurkha stories.
  • Help from Force Motors

Please don’t go for it:
  • If you don’t like to be working with mechanics, as Force Dealerships are otherwise useless.
  • If you want a perfect vehicle, there can always be a minor issue such as improper wiper, issues with horn etc.
  • If you want to race on roads.
  • Annoying dealerships.

Attachments

Top Bottom