For NRI - Maruti Swift VXi or Toyota Etios G?

Thread Starter #1
Very nice forum and very informative for ppllike myself. I have no clue about cars market in India so I need help.

I will be India for full three months vacation. Most of my time will be in northern part of India (Punjab). Hiring full time taxi is very expensive so, I decided of buying a car and then sell it before I leave for US.

I was fully ready to buy/book Toyota etios g sedan but after talk with my relatives in India, they informed me that price will drop more than 1lakh when I plan to sell it. I am ok with loss upto 70,000 Rs but more than Lakh will be bit too much.

They also told me that swift will have much better resale value than etios as punjabi ppl are not much familiar with Toyota brand. They gave me 60000 Rs figure loss if I buy and sell it later on. Swift looks is okay but from reviews that I read on this website, etios seems to be good in back seat comfort (I won't be driving at all).

What would you recommend or do if you are in my shoes?

* I will only be keeping it for 3months
* approx. mileage wont be more than 9000
* resale value is my top priority

Should I buy new or used car? The reason of new car is because there are no credible dealers selling used car in Punjab and I can't trust them because there are no records of vehicle history like Carfax in west.

Here in US, I have 2009 ford mustang(v6, 5.0L) and 2012 Honda pilot (v6, 3.5 L 4x4) . Just to give an idea of my driving habit. The only car/van that I rented in apart are maruti zen, indica, indigo and innova.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

350Z

Core Team
Hello and Heartiest welcome to The Automotive India, Est1469.
Should I buy new or used car? The reason of new car is because there are no credible dealers selling used car in Punjab and I can't trust them because there are no records of vehicle history like Carfax in west.
How about considering a relatively used car? It doesn’t make much sense to buy a new car just to keep it for 3 months as it will depreciate quickly regardless of the brand. Seems you are enthusiastic about driving - So in a lesser budget, there are some nice cars available such as Honda City, Mitsubishi Lancer and Ford Fiesta 1.6 etc. which should serve the purpose well. Only downside of buying a used car is the hassle involved to find a neat example with clean record. There are some authorized outlets such as Mahindra First Choice, Carnation (Multibrand), Honda Auto Terrace, Maruti TrueValue etc. but it is still required to be cautious enough.

Drive Safe,
350Z

Punjab ch paise khrab hunde ne waise, othe apni janta anpad hi rehni! Kehri jagah challe ?

I'd suggest you to buy a used vehicle or just rent it man . Don't waste your money , wouldn't call a smart move.
Pick up a Tata or Mahindra in decent condition , I wouldn't really trust anyone there. but paying heaps for a brand new car isn't quiet fair either for a person going for 3 months.

Don't you have any mate that can lend you a car? how about you paying him 70 thousand rupees for 3 months ? pretty decent amount to give inni't ?

Punjab nu underestimate na kareo hun , things have changed , GT-R R35 was first delivered to Hoshiarpur ( my home town) along before people knew it can be imported.

Used Swift is better option if you are keen to buy one.

after driving a mustang , that will be like a pussy cat [:D]
and those pilot picks up are huge , saw few when I was in Newyork and ottawa (canada)

I would say go for a used swift since you will be using it for only 3 months. And i would suggest you look cars online on sites like carwale and cardekho. And once you shoose some good cars ask someone to go and have a look at them.

Top Bottom