Fog Lamps: Necessity / Importance?

Thread Starter #1
My new Bolero ZLX has provision to add two fog lamps in the front bumper. Well most cars have this provision these days! even hatchbacks like WagonR I noticed [roll]

So the question I have is since these lamps are extra accessories how important are these to have installed? I was told by the sales/service rep that those are not really necessary for Bolero.

I do have plans to take it for a long distance trip 1000- 2000km or more, not sure when though.

Please advise if any of you have any tips? Thank you

Re: Fog Lamps: Necessity/Importance?

My new Bolero ZLX has provision to add two fog lamps in the front bumper. Well most cars have this provision these days! even hatchbacks like WagonR I noticed [roll]

So the question I have is since these lamps are extra accessories how important are these to have installed? I was told by the sales/service rep that those are not really necessary for Bolero.

I do have plans to take it for a long distance trip 1000- 2000km or more, not sure when though.

In southern region, I feel Fog lamps are not necessary. Fog lamps will fully focus on the road. So during the fog, we can get the clear view of road.

Most of the cars on Indian roads are running without Fog lamps only[:)]

Apart from that, Fog lamps will add beauty to the car. that is the reason, I replaced 3sets of fog lamps in my previous Black Indica[:D].

Nice graphical clarification. Thanks Jarpickle. I have purchased Petrol Beat last week and it comes in built with Fog Lamps. However I have noticed that one cannot drive only with Fog lamps ON. I have to keep the headlight on as well and have started thinking that its moreover a type of beauty addition. Although picture might change on FOGGY days .

+1 to jarpickle & Macsvin

For the the new vehicles here, stock fog lamps are just beauty addition and only good thing is that we can see the potholes just in front of our car in slow moving which can't see on low beam.

I am really interested to know how these stock fog lamps help in the fog.

I feel the stock fog lamps are a pure waist of money and battery power(as there using the same wattage of head lamps and due to small/no reflector low light too) which the manufactures offer.

Thread Starter #6
+1 to jarpickle & Macsvin

For the the new vehicles here, stock fog lamps are just beauty addition and only good thing is that we can see the potholes just in front of our car in slow moving which can't see on low beam.

I am really interested to know how these stock fog lamps help in the fog.

I feel the stock fog lamps are a pure waist of money and battery power(as there using the same wattage of head lamps and due to small/no reflector low light too) which the manufactures offer.

OK this is really helpful, I will definitely not buy "fog lamps" in that case. However few years back I was told by a car accessories shop that there are something called high beam lamps or something. Maybe add those high beam lamps or the regular round shaped head lamps there & not the "fog lamps" if those are not helping much !!

Basically have four head lamps instead of two with two at the bottom in the bumper! [:D] This item is definitely gone down in priority for me after the above info! Thanks Releesh!

Last edited:

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member
Fog lights are aimed lower than the low beam and shorter than the low beam as well.They provide side illumination.
mate you are amazing [clap] anybody can understand this easily.

i got factory installed fog lamps in verna , and at times they are sufficient in the evening and as many people said " people are more concerned about the looks" [:D]

friend got aftermarket fog lamps installed in his wagonR. one of the bulbs direction is upwards but still he never got it fixed [lol] he's happy with the looks.

Fog lamps are mounted low so that when there is a fog there these lights are illuminating the road and are less prone to the glare like headlamps would be in the fog.Fog lamps that have metal bodies and glass lenses are best since you can use 100w bulbs with them and these provide good side to side illumination.Fog lamps usually have a yellow lens/white lens and use yellow bulbs which is more effective in the fog.

I think that the lights that are on the bumpers are cosmetic auxiliary lights and not fog lamps.Some are just too small to do any good.But if you have them equip them with good bulbs and get as much use as you can out of them especially in the rains.

The high beam lamps that you are referring to IndicaDLS2002 are called driving lights.These are called driving lights since they only have the driving beam(upper)These need to be installed after some calculating else you will end up with a lot of glare.These are just a single high beam light but the throw is longer than stock high beams.I am not sure how effective local ones would be though.

Attaching extra lights will drain your battery if the alternator is not rated enough to power all the lights.

Attachments

The trouble out here is that stupid drivers leave their fog lights on causing unnecessary glare to others. In Europe it's an offence to use them when there's no visibility problems.

That is true, but the biggest glare is from those people with white lights.They are absolutely blinding.

Fog lights need to be mounted properly if you are retrofitting them.Make sure they are pointed towards the road and not upwards.

Thread Starter #11
Now what are white lights? I guess you mean the driving lights you referred to earlier & the glare it might cause. I guess its best to point them parallel or bit downwards to the the road.

Bulbs that emit white light, sometimes with a bluish tinge.These are used in the headlights.Common with idiots out here.

I don't know for other cars but for MS Ritz variants those equipped with factory fitted front fog lamp kit comes 35w H8 bulbs where the stock headlamps comes 60/55w H4 bulb...which at least 20 watts lower from the low beam.

Hi,

Fog lamps are not necessary at least in southern India. Because there sole purpose is to support driver during those foggy situations. But yes they add to the attitude of your ride and enhance the beauty of your ride at least during nights and day alike.

Go ahead and get a good pair. [:)]

Buddy I am a night traveller. I drive 24kms daily in night. Based on my experience I would suggest bumper fog lamps in rainy nights as quick turns in nights in a heavy rains give you vision in blind spots. In nights you might find dogs and cows in turns lying down for surprise which fog lamp spots your vision. But not just you put a fog lamp will solve this. I always recommend OEM fog lamps than after market as they good.

Last edited:

Top Bottom