Fog Lamps: Necessity / Importance?

IndicaDLS2002:If the factory position fog lamps do not have a metal body and glass lens you will not be able to use 100w bulbs with them.In that case you can go for aftermarket ones that come with a metal body and glass lens, just mount them properly.

Thread Starter #17
I am going to get these bumper lights fixed in the next day or two, so urgently need help with good brands & prices etc on the same. I am interested in getting white coloured powerful driving lights not the yellow fog lamps. Anyone who has fixed these recently please suggest the details. Will get it done from ASS. Thanks.

As the name suggests, fog lamp is necessary when one drives through fog - period.
Now, chrome garnish around fog lamps fitted in any car will increase the beuty to the highest level. However, being a requirement oriented person, I won't purchase a fog lamp until it's coming as factory-fitted. (My Alto has no fog lamp but Manza has them fitted since I needed ABS in my Manza and Manza ABS installed model comes with front+rear fog lamps).
In south India and Kolkata it's not required.

I've got HID's installed in my i10 fog lamps and these are really bright and I don't think it causes much glare, since they are located at the bottom. I made sure I installed 4300k Hid cause it has a white/yellowish output therefore it works when there is fog. Since I live in the hills and we have very curvy roads the fog lights really help me out a lot in illumination at the blind spot in curves.

Thread Starter #20
I am planning on getting regular white light headlamps in the provision given in the front bumper for fog lights just as a safety measure in case the main headlights of the vehicle fail again which just happened to me recently while driving long distance due to a loose fuse/relay.

Last edited:
(My Alto has no fog lamp but Manza has them fitted since I needed ABS in my Manza and Manza ABS installed model comes with front+rear fog lamps).
In south India and Kolkata it's not required.
I think it is quite required in Bangalore where roads are hard to be found [frustration]

BTW Manza fog lamps are quite useless. [:D]

I am planning on getting regular white light headlamps in the provision given in the front bumper for fog lights just as a safety measure in case the main headlights of the vehicle fail again which just happened to me recently while driving long distance due to a loose fuse/relay.
Then check out fixing stock fog lamps through ASS. If they quoting higher charge, just bought the fog lamps from their spare part section and do installation through outside work shops.

I recently replaced my esteems both fog lamps , due to the glass broken. Which coasted Rs.1250 for each one which came with the grill which need to fix in the bumper.

Fog Lamps is a MUST.

We are having unstable weather. The first picture is about morning 6.00am. The visibility is due to Fog Lamp. Only 10 meter visibility with the help of Fog Lamp. No doubt, Fog lamp is a must.

20140109_063445.jpg

DSC03432.JPG

The lamps are placed too low and not so bright also. From driver's seating position not much can be seen ahead with help of fog lamps.
The lamps are placed too low and not so bright also. Exactly. That is the purpose of these lamps. These are very effective on dense fog conditions. It is very effective on conditions where the visibility is near or less 5 Meters.

Thread Starter #28
Till date i have thought that FOG lamps add brighter to the existing head light.
Well what I have learnt is fog lamps are different & cannot be compared with the regular headlights in terms of brightness or its purpose!

The lamps are placed too low and not so bright also. Exactly. That is the purpose of these lamps. These are very effective on dense fog conditions. It is very effective on conditions where the visibility is near or less 5 Meters.
Correctly said, however for those who don't have foggy conditions very often should be able to add another extra pair of headlights just as a safety measure in the same provision provided in the bumper? meaning the same type of bulbs/lights used for headlights which is halogen bulbs I believe. Other options or HID kits or Xenon lamps I am told.

However OEMs & Dealers refuse to provide any of the above & will provide only the regular fog lamps & nothing else for keeping the warranty intact!

Last edited:
Sometime back while driving to Kuttikanam- Kerala, I ended up in a thick fog. May be 1 meter visibility. I happened to see a situation of Maruti 800. The owner took charge of driving the vehicle, and let the passengers to walk ahead of the vehicle for guidance. Hirange roads in Kuttikanam is famous for thick fog on unexpected times. Fog lamps help on such situations.

IMPO, Fog Lamps are necessary. At least for these modern cars with inferior Head Light set up, Figo for one. This is purely based on my own experience with both W/WO Fog Lamps.

The initial 1 year, I drove without Fog Lamps. You maybe aware of the poor head lamp design of Figo. The focus, throw, spread and all are pathetic. Later, I added OE Fogs and felt really better, at least than otherwise. Though it didn't make any drastic difference, but here are few pointers to consider.
  1. City Driving with Low Beam - Fog Lamps gives better visibility in the portions near bumper in front and side-wise. The spread in those areas are vital which is otherwise a complete dark patch.
  2. Highway with High Beam - While on High Beam, the portion up to 2 - 3 feet from the car are blurred, forget about sides. Fogs covers up this portion to an extent and if you level the head lamp throw, makes it a better package.
On the whole, it's not by it's name that to be useful only in Foggy situation, but otherwise too. I do agree that the OE ones are exorbitant, but reliable.

Top Bottom