Fitting Alto Center Console and Gear Knob on 800

Thread Starter #1
The center console (after market one) was looking too cheap so I removed it from my car & painted it. My choice of colour went horribly wrong & it looked much worse[frustration]

So drove the car without any storage thing for quite a while & infact the lack of center console made the cabin look odd to especially people who sit in my car for the first time.

Recently saw a car photo during my mini meet (800 with alto console) with Varun & discussed the same with him & bought one finally today from J.C.Road

Here are the pictures

1old look.JPG
The old looks (with shortened gear lever)

2old&new gear knobs.JPG
Old knob (800) & new knob (Alto)

3temp arrangement.JPG
The DIY I did to keep small things in my car, finally removed it

4 Remove carpet & old knob.JPG
Remove (Just pull it aside) the carpet & remove the old gear knob by twisting it "Anti-clockwise" direction

5 remove the old clamp.JPG
This is the old M800 clamp, this is wider than the Alto's clamp so you cant use it anymore, remove the nuts (towards dashboard) & you can take it out.

6 old & new clamps.JPG
Here is the size comparo between old & new clamps

7 old & new clamps.JPG
Another angle to show the difference, the difference is only in the width. However the holes where the bolts fit are are in the same location.

8fit the new clamp.JPG
Fit the new clamp & tighten the nuts

9 fit screws to the sides.JPG
Dont put the new knob now, first place the console in such a way that the holes to the side of it are exactly aligned with the clamp holes.

9 fit screws to the sides.JPG
Since the one I bought is not an MGP part, some amount fit & finish issues are there. Like this screw hole was partially covered with plastic, tore it with a screw driver & continued.

10 DIY complete.JPG
Now put the new gear knob (twist it in clockwise direction with little force downwards.
11 another angle.JPG
DIY complete

12 from the outside.JPG
Another angle to show how it looks. Had the cleaned the ac just yesterday so the interiors are pretty dusty, will clean it may be tomorrow morning as now its already midnight.

looks good.JPG
It is not just looks, it does help you keep keys/ mobile/ coins/ small cup of tea/ pen etc etc I am loving it as I am new to it.

In case any of you do this upgrade/ lets say fitting please do post pics here, especially of you have done any painting to the console.

I am also planning to cut the yoga mat I used for damping & put it in the cup holder & other utility space given. So that coins/ such items dont rattle.

I misplaced the screws somewhere so will fit the screws (side of console) tomorrow morning.

Happy Motoring [drive]

Excellent DIY buddy. Must admit, that the result is pretty good to look at, however, the color mismatch of dash and the gear console is looking quite odd.

lxi.

Suspended
Nice DIY mate. I was bored of Alto's plain grey interiors, But, I am not good at DIY'ing, Therefore, I got wooden trim on the Dashboard and near Handbrake.

Nice Job SS80,

What about the space between the dash and the alto center console now?
Will you try fitting something there? Asking because the head unit does not fit well into the dash board of the M-800 and looks a bit ugly in my opinion. Planning on fitting it down for a better cleaner look?

Thread Starter #9
Nice job there.. so what about the mounting part in the front ??
Thanks Varun, well that is one thing I am yet to plan :) Saw an Indica (Vista I think) today, it had a pretty good center console (2 big cup holders) + it raises towards the dash in the front portion. May be if we get that part we may be able to fit it here to fill the gap between dash & the console.

ilango[speed thirst];151554 said:
Good DIY , usefull for many esp who are boared of the cheap ones that is available.
Yes, you are right Ilango, the MGP part (alto console) has even better fit & finish, but costs more than this one. Anyone willing to spend 500 - 600can choose that too. I feel this one was better than the one I had.

Excellent DIY buddy. Must admit, that the result is pretty good to look at, however, the color mismatch of dash and the gear console is looking quite odd.
That is one thing I too felt could have been better. The grey on the dash is much darker than the console.

Good DIY mate., I did the same once in my old Maruti 800
Cheers [clap]

Neat execution buddy. Congratulations [clap]
OT: Dust covered door pads? Not using the car frequently?
Thanks a lot. That is dust is because of the AC cleaning done a few days back, yet to clean the car interiors. Bought a good Dash board polish today will update that here soon. I use the car for about 400kms in a month, that is very less for a car. But I never allow it to stay in this condition for a long time. Will clean it asap.

Nice DIY mate. I was bored of Alto's plain grey interiors, But, I am not good at DIY'ing, Therefore, I got wooden trim on the Dashboard and near Handbrake.
Can you please post pictures of your car, it can motivate others too. Perhaps a fresh feel for many other car users too.

Nice Job SS80,

What about the space between the dash and the alto center console now?
Will you try fitting something there? Asking because the head unit does not fit well into the dash board of the M-800 and looks a bit ugly in my opinion. Planning on fitting it down for a better cleaner look?
This is one thing I tried answering to myself for a long time, before I finally did this DIY. I feel the Indica Vista one is good, it has a part that can fill the gap you are mentioning. Not sure if it available. Will update if done anything on it.

In case you have some ideas about that, please do share I too want to fill that gap asap.

@varun/ss80
I hold the 2008 m800. I feel the gear throws are a little longer and arms had to be stretched. Shortening may reduce the gear lever travel distance. But doesnt this make your shoulders to bend and reach the lever?

The alto console costs you 300 rs.. I think you can't fix any other instrument cluster as the wiring differs from each other.. If you want you need to change the wiring for the same (even the plugs need to be changed)

Top Bottom