First Pictures: Hero Moto Impulse

The first dirt bike was the SX Enduro (based on the KB series) which, incidentally, was also launched by an Indian company - Bajaj Auto. I stll remember it's wonderful ads and the punchline - Why Shout when you can Scream ?
[surprise] i didnt know that...
something new to research when im sitting in the office. [:D]
Thanks Sam

Last edited by a moderator:
Airborne! The rider is Nitish Sharma from Jaipur, Rajasthan. He's won the Gulf Dirt Track National Championship 2011 in Indian Novice Class - Group C (Motorcycles upto 165CC- 2 stroke) on 24th December.

Attachments

Today I test rode the Hero Impulse.

I was trying to get one and there were no test mules available for three days in a row till today. I called up the blokes at the showroom to ensure that the bike was available and moved there, I parked my bike and met the showroom personnel. No one was that eager to ask me what can I do for you, So I told them what they can do for me instead.

That done, One fellow told me to leave my helmet, else I wont be able to hear the tail pipe's tone. I said I never ride something with a motor without one and so another salesman took me down to the yard. He called the supervisor and told him that I'm here for a test ride and left me with the supervisor.

The supervisor said, "Wait one moment, I'll be right back." He went inside the works area and started riding some bikes out, and then some bikes in. Then he walked around, I reminded him again and he said he'll be right there again. So I waited for a total of 20 minutes and called it quits.

I went back inside the showroom planning to leave and to collect my bag which I had left at the reception. The lady there asked, "Sir did you have the test ride?" I said, "No, since the supervisor was very busy and I was even more;Thought I'd take off rather."

On hearing this, Two salesman sitting and chatting jumped out of their seats and rushed towards me, One said, "Sorry Sir, We'll get you the bike this instant." One of them rushed out and called the supervisor and asked him where's the test bike, The supervisor just stood like a cold turkey as before.

Then the salesman went to the yard and called a mechanic from the crash repairs section and told him to accompany me on the test. This part I hate the most, cause I never like a pillion or dead weight in the pillion when I'm testing.(The show room people do that here if they dont know you well, They fear that you might do a Grand Theft Auto.) The people at Honda, TVS and Yamaha always give me bikes for test rides minus the dead weight as they know me well and I usually take the bikes to some lonely stretch or dirt road and get a feel of things.

So the ride was a short stint, Couldn't really do the testing cause I had a dead weight scared mechanic riding pillion.

The Impulse has got an awesome tone from the tail pipe compared to all the other 150s. Personally I'd say it sounds the best for a stock silencer.

Didn't do an all out blast as such through a broken section as I had to look out for the pillion. But still the suspension did an awesome job and the bike felt precise and very much planted in the loose and broken terrain.

First thing I noticed while riding was that the bike had a lethargic pick up in the low end, Felt its even more poor than my Unicorn's. But then there were three probable reasons.

1: The bike was under inflated probably, The tyres looked like they were.

2: Some salesmen at the showroom were using this particular bike for a stunt ride learner's bike. The rear tail end along with the brake light and indicators was removed so was the silencer heat shield, visor, chain cover, Saree guard, Etc. Now this should make it a lighter, But still I felt no advantage.

3: The bike had only run 600Kms on the odo. Its true and running. And that means the bike hasn't properly run in yet. Add that with the stunt practice and you have a probable anaemic machine.

I love the tall stance and ergonomics of the Impulse. Short riders might find it a bit difficult, But eventually you will get to grips with the tall stance.

You sit upright and close to the Handle bars and the wide handle bars ensure you get good leverage in loose terrain. The bike is for sure awesome for off road or loose terrain and you never will be disappointed if you are satisfied with the output of the motor.(I'd personally prefer double the output, having been drunk on Torque and Bhps on Full blown two stroke RXs and Suzukis.)

The tyres have good bite in them. The suspension has enough travel to probably take a jump off a 10 ft ramp I presume.

On road behaviour is not that great with the long suspension travel and tall stance. An average rider will need to get used with the stance and will find it a bit hard to attack fast corners. I haven't taken the bike to high speeds so I can't comment on a possible wobble at high speed on tarmac thanks to the knobby tyres. But this has to be expected none the less.

When I came back from after the ride, The supervisor came and asked me how did I feel and apologized for not getting me the bike, I said its okay. He asked how I felt about the bike. I said that the pick up was not too impressive, But the suspension set up and the sound from the exhaust was great. He told me the same thing I thought earlier, "Sir the bike was being ridden hard by the stunt learners, So the engine is not in a great state of tune"

So, would I buy the bike? I might, Not so happy with the power output. But still it has scope to plant a huge grin on your face. So this might be my next bike.

Last edited:
Excellent writeup Jalex, enjoyed reading - nice writing skills and choice of words[:)] Offcourse all in all seems like a decent effort by Hero honda oops Motocorp

Nice write up Jalex , so your looking for a replacement for your Unicorn?

All the best , hope the Impulse makes it to your garage!

Excellent writeup Jalex, enjoyed reading - nice writing skills and choice of words[:)] Offcourse all in all seems like a decent effort by Hero honda oops Motocorp
Thank you Iron Rock[:)] And yes its seems it will be a great bike for people looking for adventure and love the great outdoors.

Nice write up Jalex , so your looking for a replacement for your Unicorn?

All the best , hope the Impulse makes it to your garage!
Thank you cooldhaya. Haven't finalized on the replacement yet, The Impulse makes me feel at home with its ergonomics and stance. Absolutely love it. I will probably wait and see how the reliability and other things go with the Impulse and need to learn what current Impulse owners feel about the bike. Looking forward to more write ups from our very own members who might be Impulse owners themselves.

Nice one there jalex ! I hope those morons do not pass of that test ride bike (must have screwed the engine/clutch/chain/sprocket - given they are practicing stunt riding on a non run-in bike) to some gullible customer later on.

Good to know the Impulse has a better exhaust note. I have read some reviews and yours is the first one to have complimented the exhaust note - all others write that it's disappointing. I would have loved to see a stonking two stroke motor with a buzzy exhaust on such a bike but one just has to come to terms with the fact that it's not possible. Anyways, a radical pucca dirt bike would never be able to do such volumes in our counter to make it's production profitable, so Hero has thoughtfully taken the safe path - think of the Impulse as a soft-roader SUV like the Honda CRV and it all starts to make sense. All image and very little purpose. Not to say its not capable off road though. Must be reasonably good with that tall suspension. All said and done, I pat Hero Motocorp on it's back for at least breaking away from convention and giving the masses an affordable taste of a new motorcycling niche. But I'd still prefer an SX Enduro over the Impulse. Two Stroke Two Stroke [thumbswink] !

Nice review of the test ride Alex! I dont know till when I can withhold myself from going and test-riding it... I don't want to do it until I am ready to buy one :)

Nice one there jalex ! I hope those morons do not pass of that test ride bike (must have screwed the engine/clutch/chain/sprocket - given they are practicing stunt riding on a non run-in bike) to some gullible customer later on.

Good to know the Impulse has a better exhaust note. I have read some reviews and yours is the first one to have complimented the exhaust note - all others write that it's disappointing. I would have loved to see a stonking two stroke motor with a buzzy exhaust on such a bike but one just has to come to terms with the fact that it's not possible. Anyways, a radical pucca dirt bike would never be able to do such volumes in our counter to make it's production profitable, so Hero has thoughtfully taken the safe path - think of the Impulse as a soft-roader SUV like the Honda CRV and it all starts to make sense. All image and very little purpose. Not to say its not capable off road though. Must be reasonably good with that tall suspension. All said and done, I pat Hero Motocorp on it's back for at least breaking away from convention and giving the masses an affordable taste of a new motorcycling niche. But I'd still prefer an SX Enduro over the Impulse. Two Stroke Two Stroke [thumbswink] !
The bike they gave me for the test ride was a test mule, Its registered and is owned by the showroom. So no worries for possible buyers.

Nice review of the test ride Alex! I dont know till when I can withhold myself from going and test-riding it... I don't want to do it until I am ready to buy one :)
I was going through the same ordeal, Now I feel that I can't wait to go for it. If it was a two stroke I would have bought it without even thinking twice. [:D]

Saw today a Impulse on road for the first time.yes it's a looker.The wire mesh rim are back.

SHOCK MOVE: HERO MOTOCORP TO PHASE OUT IMPULSE. IGNITOR AND MAESTRO?

They may be newly-launched products, but Hero MotoCorp has said it will phase out Impulse and Ignitor motorcycles and Maestro scooter after some time as they have been launched with technology assistance from erstwhile partner Honda Motor Co of Japan.

Pawan Munjal, MD of Hero MotoCorp, said the company wants an independent robust R&D set-up, for which it has stitched up a new technology agreement with a European design and technology provider — its third such partner since its split from Honda last year. He said going forward, Hero MotoCorp wants to develop products with its new partners so that it can replace those developed with Honda.

Hero, that is setting up an integrated R&D centre near Jaipur with an investment of Rs 400 crore, has been getting aggressive in firming up alliances to guarantee new technology flow after the departure of Honda. Munjal did not disclose the name of the new European partner. In February, the company announced a partnership with US superbike company Erik Buell Racing (EBR), and in March signed a research deal with Austrian engine manufacturer AVL.

Hero MotoCorp to phase out three models - Impulse and Ignitor motorcycles and Maestro scooter - The Economic Times

Top Bottom