First Major Recall in India by Toyota (Corolla and Camry Affected)

Thread Starter #1
Hi All,

This news is for all those people who were swearing by the quality of Toyota Motors.

But one great thing is this that they are brave enough to recall their products. Not like M&M who after a year yet not able to resolve the brake issue.

Although, the issue is not very prominent but look at the ethics and just look at the ethics of M&M.

In line with recall announced by Toyota Motor Corporation (TMC) globally, Toyota Kirloskar Motor (TKM) today voluntarily announced, recall of Corolla Altis (30th July 2008 – 31st Dec 2008) and Camry (1st Sep 2006 – 31st Jul 2008). TKM will recall approx 8,700 vehicles, in India to inspect the Power Window Master Switch (PWMS). TKM will conduct this campaign on a voluntary basis.

On certain Corolla Altis and Camry models of the specified years, the PWMS may begin to feel notchy or become inoperative. This can be due to wear and tear over-time, of specific contact points in the PWMS. Owners of the involved vehicles, covered under this Recall Campaign will receive a notification by letter/ call from Toyota. The Recall Campaign will be conducted from November onwards, across all authorized Toyota dealers in India. Customers can also contact the nearest dealer to find out if their vehicles fall under this campaign.

Authorized Toyota dealers will inspect and replace (if deemed necessary) at no charge to the vehicle owner. The repair is expected to take approximately one hour, depending on the dealer’s work schedule. No other Toyota models, sold in India, are covered by this recall campaign.

As a part of the customer first policy, TMC has globally announced this voluntary recall. TKM has followed the same in India. The company will also notify SIAM, as a part of the voluntary code on vehicle recall, even though the recall does not fall within the purview of any safety hazards. The company requests its customers not to panic as this is not a safety hazard but only a precautionary measure, voluntarily carried out by the company. TKM looks forward to their understanding during this period.

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: First Major Recall in India by Toyota

I think globally they have had too many recalls in the recent past. Something odd for a Japanese car maker!

Recalls are a usual happening now a days especially with Toyota.

I remember they did a mass re-call for replacing the floor mats as the accelerator gets stuck with it. This recall is the biggest one among the past 16 years.

Recall for some power window thing only. That's really good gesture from Toyota. But have any one heard of the issue/complaint raised by the users, for which the reacll is being done?

This news is for all those people who were swearing by the quality of Toyota Motors.
buddy well its great thing toyota is recalling even for simple issue which maybe other companies can overlook saying normal wear tear!

why are you dragging m&m here?? [surprise]

Although i do believe that QC issues are least expected when a person spends his/her hard earned money, still i appreciate this recall. Atleast Toyota is not sitting idle and taking their customer on ride like some other auto firms. If i remember correctly, there was a similar issue with 2006-07 Honda Citys too.

Thread Starter #9
buddy well its great thing toyota is recalling even for simple issue which maybe other companies can overlook saying normal wear tear!

why are you dragging m&m here?? [surprise]

Iam dragging M&M here for the sole reason that they are unable to rectify the major component known as THE BRAKE SYSTEM of a vehicle.

Grinding noise
excessive depletion of brake pads and disc
less braking power

DOnt you think that this could lead to a disaster and thank GOD this is not happen yet as people are more aware about their vehicle brakes and apply them accordingly.
Whereas look at Suzuki and Toyota they have admitted their mistakes at their part and doing full justice to rectify those.
But M&M not even terming it as a major problem and in the last one year or so they have changed the brake pads design for more than 3 times and also the components and materials of pads and discs.
But problem is still there.

Where is Suzuki accepting the problem? The brake issue with Swifts, Maruti Suzuki are not ready to accept, instead they are making excuse that "User is not applying brakes properly".

Thread Starter #11
Where is Suzuki accepting the problem? The brake issue with Swifts, Maruti Suzuki are not ready to accept, instead they are making excuse that "User is not applying brakes properly".
i hope ypu remember the recalls of Astar and other vehicles.
I also drive swift belongs to my friend and i found the brakes to be more than adequate. They were very good instead. So i guess you are talking about the brakes of the older swift.

Yes one main problem with swift is that it is shod with 165 profile puny tyres. which really dont aid much in its braking. Plonk 185 or 195 good quality tyres and than compare the braking. Remarkable difference you'll feel.

Look at the part of Tata also they are changing the upgraded parts in their vehicle in the due course of development of a vehicle (iam not advocating this practice), but they are atleast accepting the problems and rectifying them with a concrete upgraded part.

But this time M&M is pathetic in their R&D department where they are just unable to resolve the mystery of XUV brakes...

Although i do believe that QC issues are least expected when a person spends his/her hard earned money, still i appreciate this recall. Atleast Toyota is not sitting idle and taking their customer on ride like some other auto firms. If i remember correctly, there was a similar issue with 2006-07 Honda Citys too.
+100 to that. Now day's Auto Recall is becoming common in India as well. Back here in US it's a very common thing and actually people appreciate that and the dealers give you a call or send an email for an appointment. And if the work is long then they provide you a rental car as well which is a really good thing.

Iam dragging M&M here for the sole reason that they are unable to rectify the major component known as THE BRAKE SYSTEM of a vehicle.

Grinding noise
excessive depletion of brake pads and disc
less braking power

DOnt you think that this could lead to a disaster and thank GOD this is not happen yet as people are more aware about their vehicle brakes and apply them accordingly.
Whereas look at Suzuki and Toyota they have admitted their mistakes at their part and doing full justice to rectify those.
But M&M not even terming it as a major problem and in the last one year or so they have changed the brake pads design for more than 3 times and also the components and materials of pads and discs.
But problem is still there.
but i do not think M & M is denying the problem.
they are providing free replacement for anybody who has experienced issues with the braking system.

i think they would a global recall once they get enough feedback that those brake pads do not have any issues.

350Z

Core Team
Toyota has recalled 119 units of Camry in India due to a defect in front suspension. These cars were made in Japan and shipped to India between March – July 2011.

Drive Safe,
350Z

Toyota recalls Altis (Diesel) in India

Totota is recally Corolla Altis diesel variants back to the workshops. 5,834 cars are being recalled for replacing a component which fails to prevent oil from entering the air intake system.
Vehicles manufactured between June 15, 2010 and May 23, 2011 are the ones affected by this recall. Owners of the possibly affected vehicles will be contacted through a letter or a call from authorised dealers.

Toyota Recalls 5,834 Corolla Altis Diesel Models In India - Overdrive

Top Bottom