Filling Nitrogen in Tyres

Thread Starter #17

Arun

Suspended
Nice summation ... I assume the reaction part is not a factor in alloys??
Nope it isn't.

And if have attended enough chemistry lectures in college and recollect correctly, nitrogen is not inert.

Well, I will be the first to admit that I slept thru most of the Chem lectures, but I have faint memories of something called a trivalent bond, and the fact that it is a lot lot less reactive than Oxygen.
Inert, no ... those are the noble gases.
Any lecturers around?

Thread Starter #19

Arun

Suspended
Hmm..trivalent bonds? Not likely. Now, let us not go into chemistry as neither of us know about it properly. :tongue:

Nitrogen has less moisture compared to noraml air.
The tyre doesnt get heated , and no need of going to fill the air frequently.
Once in 3 months topup is required.
Cost per tyre first time 30 Rs
Topup 20 RS per tyre.
Yes the air remains constant with just 2 psi more pressure than filled.
I have filled my scorpio with nitrogen.

Hey how is the handling and behaviour of your Scorpio after filling with nitrogen?? Any changes??
Handling is superb.
Yes usually when normal air is filled the tyre tends to bulge more, As in my TPMS Used to go beyond 37. But with nitrogen the pressure remains within 33.3.
Which is really good.
The ride quality will be good on offroads, As well has highway.
you can have more grip.

Its beneficial only if you are racing that too on track where even a quarter of a psi matters plus its non reactive nature helps in case of high speed crash. On day to day basis, it hardly matters.

If you recall school science, nitrogen is most abundant air, i guess it makes 75 or 78% of air. So when you are filling normal air, nitrogen goes along with it. [:)]

It just don't justify the cost of filling it, if you compare the little benefits it gives on a daily drive. In my opinion its just a Feel good factor.

just today filled nitrogen in all four tyres of my scorpio, left the spare.

frankly, no such difference is noticeable! yes, whether it leaks out like air or not, i will update after 4 weeks.

cost for first time- Rs. 25 per tyre & refill is Rs. 20 per tyre.

The loss in pressure over a few days (or rather, the relative lack of loss in pressure) may be the only discernible difference you may be able to make out.
Also, if you are driving on concrete roads, where the tires tend to heat up a bit more, there is a chance that you can make out some difference in handling, but again, doubtful!!

With Nitrogen pressure loss is not an issue as with normal air. I use nitrogen and park my car in the scorching sun from morning to evening on workdays and the pressure never goes down till almost three months. While with air I have to fill up in four days as the pressure goes down. Also the running temperatures are low for the tyres which will give better tyre life. I think the only thing stopping you from going for nitrogen is the ridiculous costs involved. Its way too high in most places,but then again I went for it cause they dont charge for top ups in and around my locality. And initial filling charges are Rs.50/- per tyre.

just today filled nitrogen in all four tyres of my scorpio, left the spare.

frankly, no such difference is noticeable! yes, whether it leaks out like air or not, i will update after 4 weeks.

cost for first time- Rs. 25 per tyre & refill is Rs. 20 per tyre.
Hi raj you cannot feel changes unless you go for a long drive.
Usually with normal air, tyre pressure was getting increased on long drives(Once it had reached 38).
But with nitrogen the psi remained 34.5 max, And not beyond that.
And no filling is required upto 3 months.Even if you park your vehicle for many days.
And the car sticks on to the road with no bumpy rides.
The cost in Bangalore is 20 Rs for 1st time filling.
And refilling is 10 per tyre.

Last edited:

Top Bottom