Figo vs Fiesta vs Spark (Yes Strange Enough)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread Starter #1
Hi Guys,

I have been researching cars for about 6 months now.I am planning to
buy my first car next month.My query may sound strange enough as It includes 3 cars
,each from a different segment.

First I would like to define my requirement here according to TAI suggestions.

My Budget: 7 lacs(If I buy now),10 lacs if I can wait for another 6 months.

My Location: Hyderabad

Top 5 Priorities: Here are my top priorities not in any particular order

1)Fun to drive: So that every weekend when my wife wants to go to shopping mall,I should be glad to drive her there.In short every time I drive my car ,it should bring smile to me.My 70-80% driving will be in city so I am more concerned about minimal/no turbo lag with good handling/maneuverability.

2)Space: I don't want a 500 ltr boot space,but it should not be like alto(no offense intended,it is a nice car) either.My hometown is Jabalpur ,approx 800 km from Hyderabad,I will be going there at least 4 times a year ,with my wife and my kid.So I need enough space to be able to keep 2-3 mid size bags/suitcases.

3)Fuel efficiency: My monthly running will be around 1000-1200 km.It may increase in a year or too(depends on Fun to drive factor :-)).So I would like a car which is fuel efficient.15 in city and around 20 on highway are figures I am looking forward to.

4)Safety: I would like ABS and airbags with the car,though they add some vitamin M to the car's price,I feel they are well worth it.

5)Maintenance Costs:The maintenance should not be high.I undertand high/low are relative terms,but I would like something which does not dig big holes in my pocket every 6 months.

6)After Sales Service:I am not expecting a Maruti like treatment,but still it should not be the Skoda way.(No offense to Skoda owners)

My Monthly Running: My monthly running inside city will be 1000-1200 km.I will drive to jabalpur(800kms) every 3-4 months.Apart from that occasional weekend outs will be there ranging from 200 to 300 kms.I feel I can safely say that 70-80% will be city drive and rest will be on highway.

Purpose: Basic purpose here is family trips and use in city.

Max. Seating Capacity: 4,occasionally 6(including driver)

Priority of Fuel Type: With petrol prices skyrocketing like this,I will prefer
diesel here.But if the mathematics of monthly running suggests otherwise I will go ahead with petrol too.

Body Type:Big hatchback or a Sedan.

I would like to add about the cars I mentioned in the title here.

1.Spark
Considering the points above,you may feel that spark should not even be mentioned here,but I test drove it and liked it's drive-ability very much.The only problems I had with it were
1)Petrol vehicle
2)negligible boot
3)ABS not available even as an option too.

The biggest advantage I feel here for this car is the VFM factor.Considering
that It's top end(LT) is being offered in Hyderabad at 3.9 lacs OTR,with stereo
,rear-defogger,fog lamps,roof rails.Also I like it's looks (interior as well as
exterior).That is why added it here.

2.Figo
This is what the mind suggests after considering my requirements.But unfortunately we get a heart too which at many(or should I say most?) times chooses to differ from the mind.I love the car,I have test driven it twice,the drive-ability is good,and it comes with ABS and almost everything I am looking for in my car.
Honestly I don't find any cons in the car,but my heart wants to think more,look more,find more.

3.Fiesta
Love at first sight,that is what I felt once I sat inside,and driving it blew my mind away,superb handling,excellent drive-ability.You actually don't feel that you are maneuvering a big car inside the city while driving it.this is something my heart wants and wants it badly.But considering the vitamin M factor,I better listen to my mind here.Top end is being offered at 9.8 lacs OTR.

I will stat my confusion with the conversation that goes in my mind.

Mind;Figo is the best choice for you man.Go get it.
Heart:If you buy figo now,you can forget your love for another 3-4 years
and as she is going to be replaced very soon by a new version,you may not
be able to buy it later.
Mind;But 10 lacs is a big money and you know you have responsibilities,don't go with emotions,calm down,take a deep breath and think.
Heart:If you are so hell bent on saving money,why don't you go ahead and buy spark,After all you like it very much,it VFM,its very much drivable in city and 4-5 highways drives in a year can be managed with it.Buy it now ,use it for 6-8 months,and then when your running increases ,sell it,buy a fiesta (assuming you will have enough Vitamin M for it 6-8 months down the line).This way while you lay your hands on your fiesta,you will already be an experienced driver and you will know how to maintain/drive your car properly.

Mind:See,If I have to sell the car later and buy Fiesta,Figo is still a better choice,because
1)It is a diesel car,so resale will be definitely more than spark.
2)Being a Ford car,you may fetch better exchange bonus at the time of Fiesta purchase.
3)Don't give me this argument that before buying fiesta ,I should buy a small car and learn,how to maintain a car.
Heart:.....
Mind:.....

Friends,This keeps on going inside me,Even when I am eating,watching TV or trying to sleep.Please give me some suggestions and pull me out of this dilemma.

Thanks a lot for your patience ,If you have read it upto this line[:)]

dear srbh

your budget is quite substantial. since you mentioned you will use the car to drive from hyderabad to jabalpur, then a small city car like the spark does not suit your purpose, although it is great VFM.

all factors considered, since you've gone over most of them in quite some detail, the Figo Titanium diesel should fit your requirements best. It retails for a little over Rs 6 lakh, otr and comes fully loaded. it's a big a hatch, and quite stable at highway speeds too. the diesel economy will also keep it light on your pocket.

Thread Starter #4
all factors considered, since you've gone over most of them in quite some detail, the Figo Titanium diesel should fit your requirements best. It retails for a little over Rs 6 lakh, otr and comes fully loaded. it's a big a hatch, and quite stable at highway speeds too. the diesel economy will also keep it light on your pocket.
Thanks autojunction,My mind feels the same.

Go for Punto 90 HP

And spend the rest of the money on performance mods.
Thanks a lot AMG,but I am not very confident about FIAT after sales.Though I heard that TATA/FIAT is improving a lot,my recent visits to one of their showroom doesn't support this.

I would have suggested the Ford Fiesta right away, but after reading your post and looking at you requirements, i feel your priority is fun to drive factor and of course fuel efficiency since the fun to drive factor may lead to increased usage. So i would suggest you to go for the Ford Figo. Although it doesnt look as appealing as other hatch backs, it offers one of the best diesel hearts which has proven itself with excellent drivability and efficiency.

Remove Spark out of your list , its a good car no doubt but you have a better budget so look for better cars.

Now between Fiesta and Figo , i would say Fiesta but i am sure you are aware that the new Fiesta is soon to be launched in the coming months. If you buy Fiesta now your car will kinda begin to look dated.

Figo TCDI is the best bet and it has proven itself in the market already.

But i would personally suggest you , if you are willing to spend upto 10Lakhs after 6 months then wait! New Fiesta is on the cards and you can check out new Fluidic Verna too.

you can check out new Fluidic Verna too.
How did i forget the Fluidic Verna?

I second Dhaya's statement. DO check out the new Verna too. The new one comes with two Diesel engine options which have adequate power with efficiency. Additionally the driveability has improved to a great extent though the high speed handling is still a bit disappointing. For more details you can check out our Official Hyundai Fluidic Verna Road test Review.

I think you should wait for another 6 months if that will extend your budget to 10L. You will get much better cars in that price range. Considering your requirements, the City would be the ideal choice for you. Its got good efficiency, its fun to drive, low on maintenance, high resale value. Also the current price revision makes it a much better proposition.

350Z

Core Team
Thank You Saurabh for posting a well-formatted car buying query. Helps us to understand the needs easier. Here’s my take on it: You have a reasonable budget which can accommodate a perfect car that fits most of your requirements. Although I will recommend opting for a sedan, considering the usage the car is expected to go through, including long highway drives. In this case, New Ford Fiesta instantly clicks in my mind since you’ve already fell in love with the existing Fiesta (Classic). The New Fiesta is futuristic as well as carries the similar DNA from earlier generation model when it comes to drivability. Else, New Hyundai Verna and Volkswagen Vento are tempting deals too. As far as we talk about the hatchbacks in this range, currently I find two capable models, i.e. Hyundai i20 and Fiat Punto. First, make up the mind whether you’re fully convinced to go with a hatchback or find the sedan more suitable? Then onwards, just test drive the mentioned cars and shortlist the ones which are successful to please you from all practical aspects. All the best!

Drive Safe,
350Z

Hi Saurabh,
Firstly, welcome to TAI.
Your detailed inputs and the budget will make tasks pretty simple.
Since you are going to have a decent travel distance every month and considering highway travel per year, i would suggest in removing spark off the list.
IMO, if you are ready to wait for 6 months, then go for a sedan - Verna Fluidic/ Ford Fiesta (Diesel) - ANHC if a petrol.
If you want to get a diesel hatch, then i would suggest to go with Ford Figo.

Reasons:
1. Maintainance and reliability
2. Cost
3. Proven diesel engine
4. City driving

I am not sure about the highway manners though. We have seen many posts in this forum praising about the highway manners of the punto.
Since you are not happy with Tata's service, you may rule it out. But again - It's a good car in bad hands.
You may rule out VW as you require lower service & spare costs. But - German engineering is simply the best!

I know it may sound more confusing. But, you need to listen to your mind sometimes. Go for a FIGO and you will enjoy it [thumbsup]!

Hi Saurabh,

Your needs are pretty much clear after reading your post.
1. Spark is definitely a value for money car but wont do justice for your requirements. You have better budget hence look for something better. Take the spark out.
2. Figo, a well accepted one in the market and feature rich. You can very well go for it. If your heart still thinks more, Please TD i20 and Punto and then decide.
3.Fiesta, A good choice again. If you can wait, New fiesta is coming down the line. You can also check out new Verna. IMHO, Sedans would be more comfortable in all aspects right from space to comfort. [:)]

3.Fiesta, A good choice again. If you can wait, New fiesta is coming down the line. You can also check out new Verna. IMHO, Sedans would be more comfortable in all aspects right from space to comfort. [:)]
+1 if you are looking for Ford fiesta (which looks like the best out of the options and the budget), wait for a while as the new is just round the corner.

Also, I agree with most of others on Hyundai Fluidic. Pretty neat and slick in design and it is new. Best part is Hyundai's service is not bad and resale is good too.

srbh, welcome to TAI.Yes surely your list is strange enough but having said that you have to rule out spark anytime being 1, petrol along with small hatchback perfect for city conditions and no way for highways.
Diesel if you want hatchback close your eyes and get ford figo, superb space all around, good engine with negligible turbolag, good seats front and rear with decent boot area for a family.Would be easy on pocket as well as their spares and services is very close to other manufacturers.
If you are willing to spend aprox 10L then why not all new hyundai fluidic verna 1.6L sx.Base model of 1.6L engine comes with all bells and whistles, superb engine and good rould package.At par ASS with maruti and second in india for network.Would be easy on highways with additional boot.Its all new so would be in market for coming years.If you are too keen for fiesta, wait a month as new fiesta is just round the corner to get launched and expect current fiesta which is badged as classic fiesta would have some good discounts as well if you are not pleased with new one offering.
BTW my inlaws are near jabalpur, dindori.[:)]

AMG

Suspended
Just one confusion.

What do you mean by the fiesta?
The fiesta classic or the all new fiesta.

@ AMG Buddy he has said he fell in love once he sat inside the car and drove it , so everybody is assuming its the Fiesta classic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom