Figo Titanium or VW Polo?

Thread Starter #1
Hi guys, am a new member Sanjay here from Goa but living in Sydney, Australia, do see you guys have an interesting forum going on here. Joined here because am getting my dad a new car and am stuck between the Figo Titanium or VW Polo. I also need the safety features of the ABS and airbags. My dad has seen the Figo and he thinks it looks awesome compared to the current breed of strangely shaped small cars. He is yet to go see the VW Polo..please advice what you guys think is best. Also if he goes with the Figo what sort of discounts did you manage get from the dealer?

Thanks and hopefully can contribute over here,
Sanjay

Hello Sanjay,

Welcome to The Automotive India.
Out of the cars mentioned by you, i feel Ford Figo is the one you should pick for your dad. The diesel version is highly acclaimed for its unmatched blend of fuel efficiency and good performance.
On the other hand the Polo 1.2L Diesel is not at all a performance hatch. The 3 pot engine is far too laggy when compared to the peppy Figo. Also the maintenance cost of Polo will be certainly a bit higher than Figo.

So better go for Ford Figo which is best suited for you.

Thread Starter #4
Thanks Akash, appreciate your comments. Am currently leaning towards the petrol Titanium because my dad has done only 50K in 10 years of ownership of his Maruti 800:) so a diesel won't be of much use to him. Let's see how he goes with the Polo he will go have a look at. Was funny how he described the shapes of all the other small cars out, sorry no offense meant to people with other cars here..said they looked more like cranes, like their beaks in front and the back of the cars like a birds backside...he loved the contemporary looks of the Figo though:). Actually the other one he liked the looks of above the Swift was the looks of the Alto Lxi though I thought will get him something a bit more safer with airbags et al hence looking at hatchbacks in the Figos territory. True what you say about the Polo, could be quite a bit of money if things went wrong considering is a German car, I do own a German car and must say it's a big drag on money when things go wrong even for the smallest of things.
Will keep you'll updated on how things go:),

Thanks

Last edited:
My personal choice would be for Figo Diesel if you are going to use it for more than 1.5K / month.

Else incase of petrol, I would opt for VW Polo, Engine sounds bit loud, but gem of cars when comes to stability & performance.

Both cars are good, have their own +ves & -ves & its totally your presonal choice :)

Thread Starter #6
Thanks Zinam, yupz, I did think about the diesel but considering the car is going to be used just when my parents go for functions and when my brother or me go down to India not sure if sending the extra money on diesel will offset the cost saving on diesel v/s petrol considering my dad would do about say 25k in 5 years of ownership:). Plus my dad loves his 2 wheelers there because is almost impossible to use a 4 wheeler in the cities in Goa without wasting a lot of time parking et al. Thanks for your suggestions.

Thread Starter #7
Thanks Zinam. True diesel makes sense if he had a higher mileage so spetriol it is for now. Cost wise I think the Ford Figo Titanium 1.2 petrol comes for about 550 lacs in Goa whereas the VW Highline 1.2 is 670 lacs so not sure if the price differential is worth it. Also have heard the Polo is still commanding long wait times of about 3 months, will hear what they have to say when my dad checks it out.

Hi Sanjay,

Welcome to the forum, that's an interesting handle you got there. VW is currently short-changing us with that 3-pot motor. It just doesn't do justice to the beautiful lines of the polo. If you were to be choosing between diesels, i'd go with the Figo. But talk about petrol and the Figo just doesn't cut it imho. There is nothing wrong with the car, but that 1.2L engine just doesn't tickle the FTD meter. Why not go in for the 1.4L 90HP Punto and get the best out of your car buying decision.

Just my two cents.

Cheers :)

Thread Starter #9
Thanks sgirish, think with the way my dad drives the least of his worries are speed and torque.
I would rate safety a high because he's scraped and scratched the MAruti 800 quite a lot and it's easy to do so with the choc o block traffic and squeeze parking in Goan cities plus a bit of offroading in the villages..I am having a hard time convincing him to go have a look at the other cars besides the Alto Lxi that he is bent on upgrading to since he is too practical:) and thinks Maruti service is out of the world esp since they come and pickup the vehicle whenever have a problem and parts are cheap and readily available.
Did try talking him into getting the Swift but he doesn't like the looks, same with the Dzire. Had him look at the Punto too, he likes the front but not the back:).

The other problem we have in Goa is there is only one showroom for VW and Ford near Panaji which is like an hour away v/s atleast 4 showrooms Maruti has in Goa including in MArgao where my parents live which means easy access when things go wrong. So far he's liked the Ford Figo and is bent on the Alto Lxi even though tried convincing him that it doesn't have any safety features like airbags. He going have a look at the Polo at my insistence so lets see:)

Last edited by a moderator:
Thread Starter #10
oky guys, my dad finally decided I think though hopefully doesn't go back to the Alto again:)
He went and saw the Polo and think he loves it:) though he wasn't happy about the price v/s the Figo and doesn't want me to spend too much. Also if he has to wait for more than 2 months for the Polo than he's going to take the Figo since we need it in time for a family function in 2 months.
Do these onroad prices for Goa look right?...5.08 lacs for the Ford Figo Titanium, for the Polo Comfortline is 5.75 and 6.85 for the Highline. (All prices for Petrol)
The Comfortline looks nice but has no airbags for that price compared to the Figo.
Also is there any discount I can manage to extract from the dealer on top of this?
Thanks

For comfortline & Highline there is clean 1 lakh difference.

Its worth going for Highline considering the safety & convience features it offers.

Thread Starter #13
Thanks Zinam.
Also guys, which colours look the best, in VW Polo was looking at either Reflex Silver or Pepper Grey, if the Figo am looking at Chill.
Anyone got delivery of their Polo in 2 months?

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay looks like you have finalized on Polo! Though Polo is not much fun to drive and engine is a bit noisy you get that VW brand value here in India and also that solid german build quality which is also an important safety IMO! Since your driving is also minimum i think maintenance wont be too costly!

Polo my favorite color red or white!

My favorite colours for the Polo are Red and Glacier Blue. These two colours especially red makes it clear that the car is a Polo when someone sees it from far away.

Top Bottom