Figo TDCi - Low FE. Need Suggestions.

Hahahaha Subbu, they might not able to look at this or not logging in regularly. Just do a search of Figo owners and send them a PM.

My close friend who is also my neighbor at office reports FE of his 2 year old FIGO which clocked 35k kms as below

City : 16-17 with full AC
Highway : 20 with full AC

Wondering, why many fellow Figoians aren't looking in to this thread. Should I do any publicity? [;)]
I have been following this thread since day 1 and for some reasons[bit lazy][:D] did not input my comments on the mileage of Figo.
Here goes my comments.
I have clocked 40000+ kms with my Figo[Diesel] and I never managed to get 20+ on highways , of course with AC on. My speed range would be around 70 to 110 kmph depending upon the stretch. My Highway figures were always around 18 to 19.
Tried the same figures with AC off on highways and the results were around 23kmpl.

For a Figo TDCi, A highway mileage of around 19kmpl is a good figure for someone who always drives with AC on.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #35
I have been following this thread since day 1 and for some reasons[bit lazy][:D] did not input my comments on the mileage of Figo.
Here goes my comments.
I have clocked 40000+ kms with my Figo[Diesel] and I never managed to get 20+ on highways , of course with AC on. My speed range would be around 70 to 110 kmph depending upon the stretch. My Highway figures were always around 18 to 19.
Tried the same figures with AC off on highways and the results were around 23kmpl.

For a Figo TDCi, A highway mileage of around 19kmpl is a good figure for someone who always drives with AC on.
Thanks Bala. Anything above 18 in highway is a pretty decent figure, which is not the case in mine. That's my concern.

So the test results are pretty disappointing. I heard from one of my friend's friend his petrol Figo gives 12+ in BLR city with AC. So your figures are really disappointing.

Did you try to contact Ford India? or their regional office?

Are you using any fuel additives? A close friend and colleague too owns Figo D and claims that he is getting around 16 in city and in his last trip to Nainital he got around 18-19 kmpl.

Thread Starter #38
Are you using any fuel additives? A close friend and colleague too owns Figo D and claims that he is getting around 16 in city and in his last trip to Nainital he got around 18-19 kmpl.
I used System D long ago, not any recently. Awaiting for response from Ford India. If nothing works, then will try System D again for 3 - 4 tank fills.

So the test results are pretty disappointing. I heard from one of my friend's friend his petrol Figo gives 12+ in BLR city with AC. So your figures are really disappointing.

Did you try to contact Ford India? or their regional office?
Not yet Anshuman. Will await a response and then decide on that basis.

@Subbu

I think using additives is not a good practice which spoil the fuel lines and tank too in long run. Depending on such things for FE is not right until unless manufacturer suggest .

Although I normally support using System-D as it is a proven product but yours could be a one ff case in which it might have played differently. You can even try Italian tune-up method. Just find an empty stretch, crawl in 2nd gear and then start redlining here in every gear till 4th. Then slow down a bit and shift to a lower gear and again redline. Brake immediately (not like panic braking) shift down and again redline. Play this a few times and then cool off. After this try to see if there is any effect on mileage. Do not forget to fill up after this exercise as this burns a lot of fuel so you again might see lower fe figures if you don't calculate from tankful to tankful starting after this.

Last edited:
Although I normally support using System-D as it is a proven product but yours could be a one ff case in which it might have played differently. You can even try Italian tune-up method. Just find an empty stretch, crawl in 2nd gear and then start redlining here in every gear till 4th. Then slow down a bit and shift to a lower gear and again redline. Brake immediately (not like panic braking) shift down and again redline. Play this a few times and then cool off. After this try to see if there is any effect on mileage. Do not forget to fill up after this exercise as this burns a lot of fuel so you again might see lower fe figures if you don't calculate from tankful to tankful starting after this.
This method will burn up the carbon from the engine. When an engine is done 50k plus km the carbon is good as it provides a buffer to properly seat the internal engine components.

That can cause more problems than good, what do you think?

I would suggest that since you have changed fuel pumps try a fuel system cleaner.That would be more helpful.

Last edited:
You are close buddy in the carbon burning thing. But for sure it's not going to cause any harm. It actually depends on how you read my statements. For some it might look like a stunt. Read more about it buddy and you'll be surprised to see it's advantages. Still if the user doesn't feel it right he can for sure avoid it.

I meant, isn't that what the Italian tune up does.It removes the carbon from the combustion chamber.That is an extremely good suggestion considering its a Diesel engine.

The only problem would be the seated rings might not have that buffer any more, it does make then engine free but a little rough as well.

Btw, @Figoian:Have you checked the engines compression?How much has it changed?Have you tried using fuel with higher octane?

Thread Starter #45
@Subbu

I think using additives is not a good practice which spoil the fuel lines and tank too in long run. Depending on such things for FE is not right until unless manufacturer suggest .
Not regularly RK. I have used it earlier and finished a bottle which would have lasted for about 5 - 6 tanks. Though the Figo's owner manual recommend against such additives or premium fuel, some of the FASS are recommending and selling Iftex System G & D for Petrol & Diesel resp.

Interesting... Will google more about it and get back to you with any questions.

Even I was thinking something similar that may be I am pampering the car too much and never abuse or test her capabilities like this. Except for weekly revving on 3rd & 4th gears up to 4K RPM to clear exhaust soot.

I meant, isn't that what the Italian tune up does.It removes the carbon from the combustion chamber.That is an extremely good suggestion considering its a Diesel engine.

The only problem would be the seated rings might not have that buffer any more, it does make then engine free but a little rough as well.

This method will burn up the carbon from the engine. When an engine is done 50k plus km the carbon is good as it provides a buffer to properly seat the internal engine components.

That can cause more problems than good, what do you think?

I would suggest that since you have changed fuel pumps try a fuel system cleaner.That would be more helpful.
You mean carbon build up is good? Then what about de-carbonisation? Can you throw more light on this topic?

BTW, I never have stuck to any particular fuel brand of pumps and have tried all if it. However, until in Pune, I always used IOC near my home which was found to be good and was returning good average too.

Btw, @Figoian:Have you checked the engines compression?How much has it changed?Have you tried using fuel with higher octane?
Engines Compression? I am afraid, have not checked in this regard. Can you explain a bit more about it?

Never have used Premium Diesels. Maybe, will try Shell in few months, once the diesel prices gets at par.

Top Bottom