Fiat's Small Car for India in 2012

Thread Starter #1
I was watching NDTV car & bike show yesterday and there came to know FIAT has planning to launch a small car in somewhere 2012. They are still working on this and wil be priced slightly lower than Palio. It will be lighter in weight and smaller engine.
The FIAT Italy, COO (i don't remeber his name) was talking to NDTV journalist at the "Fiat India - Diesel Engine Drive" event.

Thread Starter #3
Fiat India to roll out CNG-run car next year

Fiat India plans to launch its first compressed natural gas (CNG)-run car for the domestic market in the April-June quarter of 2010, a top company official said here Tuesday.

The company's president and chief executive Rajeev Kapoor said at a press meet.
We are working on a few CNG models. The first one will be rolled out in the second quarter next year.
However, Kapoor declined to divulge any details on the models under consideration.

"CNG is ultimately going to be a fuel for most commercial applications," he said, explaining the rationale behind the move, adding: "The technology is available with Fiat."

Among other plans, he said the company was also working on an India-specific small car. "The car will be launched in 2011."

Source - Economictimes

I've never come across the word CNG in Tamilnadu. Fiat should work on LPG model, i hope its available on all parts of India.

Thread Starter #6
The prototypes of the first-ever made-for-India car from Italian auto giant Fiat SpA will arrive in India in a year’s time for extensive road trials. The results and feedback from the trials will lead to the final round of tweaking before Fiat India Automobiles begins manufacturing the small car at its Ranjangaon facility.
Fiat India president and CEO Rajeev Kapoor said the small car to be positioned between the A and B segments was already off the drawing board.
He said
The small car — conceived for the Indian market — has been designed at Fiat’s legendary design studio in Turin. There are several steps between the drawing board to actual production-grade vehicles. The car will definitely be launched in 2011
Sources said a clay model had already been prepared and prototypes were on the way. The engine, with a 700-1,000cc capacity, has also been designed and is currently being tested in India to make suitable changes to adapt to the country’s driving conditions. “We are adapting the engine to Indian specifications to ensure that it delivers optimum power and mileage,” said Roberto Dalmasso, manager at the engineering centre of Fiat Powertrain Technologies, a Fiat group company that develops powertrains for cars, trucks, boats and gensets.
Explaining the car’s positioning, Kapoor said it would be higher than A segment Maruti 800 and lower than B segment Maruti Wagon-R and Hyundai Santro.
Referring to the car’s positioning vis-a-vis Nano, he said
As per our agreement with manufacturing and marketing partner Tata Motors, Fiat India will introduce non-competing products in a more premium segment. The Linea is positioned above the Manza; the Grande Punto above Indica Vista. The new mass market small car will be similarly placed.
Sources said the car would be somewhere close to Maruti Alto or the proposed Renault-Bajaj small car that will is also slated to go into production in 2011.
The prototypes of the first-ever made-for-India car from Italian auto giant Fiat SpA will arrive in India in a year’s time for extensive road trials. The results and feedback from the trials will lead to the final round of tweaking before Fiat India Automobiles begins manufacturing the small car at its Ranjangaon facility.
Fiat India president and CEO Rajeev Kapoor said the small car to be positioned between the A and B segments was already off the drawing board. He said
The small car — conceived for the Indian market — has been designed at Fiat’s legendary design studio in Turin. There are several steps between the drawing board to actual production-grade vehicles. The car will definitely be launched in 2011.
Sources said a clay model had already been prepared and prototypes were on the way. The engine, with a 700-1,000cc capacity, has also been designed and is currently being tested in India to make suitable changes to adapt to the country’s driving conditions. “We are adapting the engine to Indian specifications to ensure that it delivers optimum power and mileage,” said Roberto Dalmasso, manager at the engineering centre of Fiat Powertrain Technologies, a Fiat group company that develops powertrains for cars, trucks, boats and gensets.
Explaining the car’s positioning, Kapoor said it would be higher than A segment Maruti 800 and lower than B segment Maruti Wagon-R and Hyundai Santro.
“As per our agreement with manufacturing and marketing partner Tata Motors, Fiat India will introduce non-competing products in a more premium segment. The Linea is positioned above the Manza; the Grande Punto above Indica Vista. The new mass market small car will be similarly placed,” he said, referring to the car’s positioning vis-a-vis Nano. Sources said the car would be somewhere close to Maruti Alto or the proposed Renault-Bajaj small car that will is also slated to go into production in 2011.

Source - TOI, Bangalore

MODS - Please change the title of the thread to 2011 (from 2012).
-----------Next Post-----------
I've never come across the word CNG in Tamilnadu. Fiat should work on LPG model, i hope its available on all parts of India.
It will be Palio CNG.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #7
Motorbeam has given a picture also, but i don't think Fiat small car would look like that, atleast we expect good looking cars from fiat.

Thread Starter #12
I think in Bangalore Auto's are ruuning on CNG, but i am not sure. I will confirm once i verify this.
Delhi has all Buses and Autos running on CNG.

Thread Starter #13
It will be Fiat Topolino

Most probably it will be Fiat Topolino.

Expected: Q2 2011
Price bracket: Rs. 2.5-lakh to 5-lakh
Engines: 600cc & 1.1-litre petrol

Original Topolino

If pointers given by FIAT are to be believed, then expect the new car to employ a wide array of engines ranging from a frugal 600cc to a competitive 1.1-litre mill. The car will be powered by petrol initially, while a small turbo-diesel engine might be in the pipeline. Designed specifically for India and its traffic conditions, the car will be placed between the A and B segments in terms and pricing and features – where it will take on the likes of the i10 and A-star. Similar to Hyundai and Suzuki, FIAT too will make India a production hub for the city car and will export it to the European markets to begin with. The car may well be christened the ‘Topolino’ – an old classic like the 500, which FIAT has hinted at reviving since early last year.

About Topolino
Input from - Motoroids

The front looks a kind of spark & 500ish style!

Pricing is a cake walk here!

Lets see if its launched with the same price tag!

Top Bottom