Fiat Punto 75HP QJD - PDI - Engine Bay Concerns

Thread Starter #1
Hi all,
I've booked a Fiat Grande Punto 2012 Dynamic BNW from Concorde Motors, Ambattur IE, Chennai.

(I'll post the selection, TD and final choice process in detail in the near future)

I've been allotted the VIN MCA118B5EXXXXXXXXDLZ.
PDI was scheduled for today at 3pm. The SE told me that the car would be in the showroom for the PDI. However, it was not ready there as he pointed out that the drivers were not available to bring the car to the showroom for a wash. He took me to their yard itself. There was this car with the above mentioned VIN
1.ODO: 43 kms
2. Car was not washed; full of dust and dirt outside.
3. So, not able check for any scratches very thoroughly; however, no dents.
4. Under the hood; all the liquids were okay; no leakages; battery okay;
Only concern regarding the the engine bay is (please take a look at the below picture); The thick bunch of cables are going inside the cabin (just in front of the co-driver's seat) through the vent; however, the insulation hose around it has come off the vent. The tape is not strong enough to hold that hose and the vent together.
View attachment 53975

Will it be a problem in the long run? What I mean is that the tape which is used to hold that hose with vent isn't strong enough in these two months. How can we expect it to last longer with the vehicle.

My other question is that is this normal in your cars whoever here is owning a punto? Is this just a case of the tape not doing it's job well or is it something else which is more than fishy?

5. Engine cranking with open bonnet and open doors: Cranked at the first attempt itself - fantastic. Usual diesel clatter; only a slight hissing noise heard, that too only when I was standing in front of the vehicle near the head lamp. Otherwise, I can not hear it. SE assured that it's normal for all the cars.

6. Headlamps turned on; AC turned on. Usual grunt when the power was utilised maximum.
7. With the engine, headlamps and AC on, closed the bonnett and all the doors. With the fan speed at 2, the cabin got chilled in an amazing three minutes under the hot sun. Fantastic! With the doors closed and windows raised, I couldn't hear the hissing noise mentioned point #5
8.Radio/CD were played. Fine
9. All the electricals like power windows, ORVMs, turn indicators, fog lamps checked and okay.
10. Engine turned off and turned on again. No unusual NVH. Engine revved till 2000 rpm.
11. All the doors and boot were opened from inside and outside and shut close.
12. Central locking checked. Only one key with central locking and button type & the spare key is manual type.
13. Seat belt warning, Door open warning, head lamp warning, battery charging & hand brake on warnings, fog lamps, reverse gear lamp, etc were checked and okay.
14. I wanted to drive the car. But the SE said no as it's in the yard and it's against their policy. However, just wanted to make sure that the odo cable is not unplugged. So convincing him to oblige me, I moved the car a bit reverse and a bit forward and found the odo alive. :)
15. Tyres are GoodYear Duraplus 165/80R14.
16. Seats were all covered with plastics except the driver's.
17. Gearshift: not able to check as I didn't get a chance to drive a little distance.
18. Vin# found in the boot; on the floor under co-driver's seat; and a sticker on the front quarter glass by the co-driver.

Looking forward for your feedback, gurus!
Cheers!

P.S: Apart from the unwashed car & the cable insulation coming off the tape in the engine bay, I'm content with the other pointers. Is it usual for the dealers to arrange the client PDI in the yard, in an unwashed condition. Please shed some light!

Fazer

Suspended
Re: Fiat Punto 75hp QJD - PDI - Engine Bay - one concern

Don't know about other problems buddy, I am not a GP owner.
You should have checked with Other Punto's regarding the Insulation hose coming off the vent.
You should also check the PDI list in TAI.
Maybe this helps you.
NO! Not with all dealers. My friend (A Swift Dzire + Linea) got PDI done just outside the showroom (Where cars ready for delivery are parked).
Anyways, Congrats! Your Punto landed on the yard. [:D]

Also, Check the Link again, I cannot see the image. Maybe something wrong with my PC, or the link you specified.[sleep]

Last edited:

Please post the picture again
I am unable to see it

Insulation is a big issue when you drive a car in a long run

Thread Starter #4

NO! Not with all dealers. My friend (A Swift Dzire + Linea) got PDI done just outside the showroom (Where cars ready for delivery are parked).
That's where the SE promised for the PDI. However, I ended up doing the PDI at the yard. By the way, the registration is not done yet. May be, that's why the car isn't brought to the showroom yet; I'm not sure though, as I'm not an auto geek.

Can I demand the car be washed for an inspection before I sign the registration papers? Do they usually do like that? Like washing and getting the car inspected by the client before the registration process?
Or we the clients entitled to inspect the car just before taking delivery (after the registration process)?
Sorry for such novice queries.

Please post the picture again
I am unable to see it

Insulation is a big issue when you drive a car in a long run
Thanks Fazer and codename47

The picture is shown as a link with "Attachment 53975". However, I try to post the picture again now. Yup! You're right as the insulation material around the vent is the one which might help in reducing the NVH entering the cabin from the engine bay.

Attachments

Last edited:
PDI can be done before and after registeration both time.
Before registeration PDI is done at stock yard, and when PDI done before registeration if any major issues found you can reject car straight away.
PDI at the time of delivery, i.e. after registeration is done to check whether the car which you did PDI is the same you are getting delivered.
The car at stock yard is always full of dust, the car is cleaned and washed properly once brought to showroom.
Regarding the issue you found during PDI, you ask dealer to fix it or reject the car before registeration is done. Once registeration is done, then dealer will try making filthy excuses.
And after registeration, car will cleaned and washed, so if you find any scratches or anything, ask dealer to do paint job for you. But confirm everything before you take car out of dealer's showroom. Once car's out of showroom without confirmation with dealer, it is your responsibility then.

Hope you have smooth delivery of your PUNTO (unlike me). All the best [:D]

Thread Starter #6
PDI can be done before and after registeration both time.
Before registeration PDI is done at stock yard, and when PDI done before registeration if any major issues found you can reject car straight away.
PDI at the time of delivery, i.e. after registeration is done to check whether the car which you did PDI is the same you are getting delivered.

But confirm everything before you take car out of dealer's showroom. Once car's out of showroom without confirmation with dealer, it is your responsibility then.

Hope you have smooth delivery of your PUNTO (unlike me). All the best [:D]
Thanks Dharmesh for your response. Would like to know if other puntos have this kind taping around the vent where the cables go inside the cabin.
Yup! Your delivery was such an ordeal for you. Glad that you're finding the care more enjoyable!
Cheers!

Call up your company if they can do it
because this will make your car hot if thats one of the vents and it can damage your wiring as well
if you can't be bothered calling them , goto electrician and they will do it for you
Easy fix mate

I recommend you to not to sign any rgisterations paper or take delivery of the car until this is fixed by dealer him self, else demand other car if registeration is not done.

I will check today whether my car also have same sort of cables going inside the cabin and what is the status of the insulation.

Thread Starter #9
I recommend you to not to sign any rgisterations paper or take delivery of the car until this is fixed by dealer him self, else demand other car if registeration is not done.

I will check today whether my car also have same sort of cables going inside the cabin and what is the status of the insulation.
Call up your company if they can do it
because this will make your car hot if thats one of the vents and it can damage your wiring as well
if you can't be bothered calling them , goto electrician and they will do it for you
Easy fix mate
Thanks gents for your responses. I'll check with the dealer if the other cars on display and at the yard have such kind of insulation in the fist place. My layman assumption is that the pipe (vent - at the body) through which the bunch of cables go inside must have got broken, somehow. And then, it must have been taped together as a temporary measure. And this taping must have been very weak to hold weight of the bunch of cables and came off. Again, this is only my assumption.

Today, I'm going to the dealer first thing in the morning to check it out with the other cars. Thanks!

Beiing a DLZ (thanks to wildon's Vin code thread) April 2012 car, this Dynamic has got dark blue shade seats when compared to the TD car (2012 Emotion) and display car's (2012 Emotion again) beige seats. Is it normal to have such different colours for different variants.

Thread Starter #10
Hello,
I've just come back from the dealer. I checked engine bays of the Punto 90hp sportz and the Linea Emotion display cars. The hose/vent tape look the same as the previously PDI-d Punto dynamic. It looks like that the tape has given way in the car which has been allotted to me. The SE assured me that during their PDI, everything will be sorted out so that delivery will be smooth. So, no worries.

Also, please take a look at the 2010Emotion Black (which was there in front of the dealership). That owner has brought one his friends to buy a Linea (for the friends). With his permission I've taken some pictures of that Black beauty and posting them also here. Cheers!

Attachments

Thread Starter #11
Reply from Fiat services for my concerns

Service
<Service@fiapl.com> Attachment Mon, Jun 18, 2012 at 2:17 PM
To:

Dear Sir,

Thank you for the communication, regret the inconvenience caused to you.

Matter is coordinated with our distributor/ dealer; we assure your concerns will be resolved at the earliest, you will be hearing shortly form Tata/Dealer end.

Till then we request you to please bear with us.

With warm regards,

Ashish Bhattacharya,
Customer Services,
Fiat India Automobiles Ltd,
B 19, Ranjangaon MIDC,
Shirur,
Pune - 412210.
Phone No.- +91 2138 672763.
E-mail :- service@fiapl.com

Dear LaTour,
Advice from someone who has made all mistakes possible while buying: Don't hand in your check till you (even though we are all not car engineers [:)]) are absolutely happy. Nothing in the new car should be suspect for you-keep asking and don't let them tell you that thats the way it is meant to be-check,check and check-even delay getting the car till you are sure.Please insist on a short test drive-even if they make a fuss.

Top Bottom