I happened to TD the new Linea in the TJET as well as the MJD avtar one after the other in Gurgaon last week. Here are my impressions –
Common Likes –
• Amazing Interiors
• Great Ride and Handling
• Steering & Suspension setup
• Super Built Quality
• Looks better in person than in pictures
• Huge seats with great support
• Refined Engines
• Shorter gear throw
• Brilliant AC
• Dead Pedal
• Excellent Brakes
• 15000 KM service interval
• 3 years standard warranty
• Low maintenance and spare parts costs
Common Dislikes –
• The arm rest should slide or should have been a little longer
• Due to the increase in GC there is an evident difference in the ride quality and handling. Its still great but not as good as the earlier Linea.
• Again, since I have driven the earlier Linea and have been driving the Punto since the last two and a half years, I can make out that the body roll has increased due to the increase in GC. I wished the GC should have remained under 180 mm.
• Audio System is still not that good
• Rear Leg room.
I would not get into much details as there are no new engines offered with the new Linea.
The TJET is a hoot to drive and is arguably the best petrol car in the segment. It is just not possible to drive it slow. However, the steering felt very light and I did not like it as much as the diesel sibling. It can return decent KM/L figures if driven sedately but I guess one just can’t drive it with a light foot.
MJD on the other hand felt slow. Don’t get me wrong, the car is not really slow but with these kind of dynamics, it keeps you craving for more horses under the hood. Steering of the MJD was heavier and IMHO was perfectly weighed. I felt like the engine noise inside the cabin was lesser as compared to the earlier model.
A special mention of the seats again. There is absolutely no doubt that Linea should have more leg room but I feel that the seats are much; much bigger than the other cars of the segment. The rear seats had phenomenal under thigh support! I would like to do a size comparison with the city if I get time.
I think FIAT should have plonked in the 1.6 MJD VGT in the Linea with the dualogic gearbox. Also, some features that I do miss are
Reverse parking camera
electrically foldable mirrors
auto closing windows once the car is locked
That’s all guys. Thanks for reading and do ask me in case there are any questions in your mind. Would be happy to help.