Fiat Grande Punto 90HP Road Test Review

Thread Starter #16
Its not just re-tuning same engine, but there is more to it. Earlier was FGT (Fixed Geometry Turbo) and new engine is with VGT (Variable Geometry Turbo), so there is technological advancement been made to it for more power and FE.
Yes RSM, the new engine has VGT which has reduced the turbo lag. Also the ECU has been retuned. To be precise the performance is now much like Linea, but surely you cant call it underpowered. And FIAT claims the FE of this version to be around 19.XXkmpl which sounds impressive. I feel that this is the best version of Punto available in india.

Yes RSM, the new engine has VGT which has reduced the turbo lag. Also the ECU has been retuned. To be precise the performance is now much like Linea, but surely you cant call it underpowered. And FIAT claims the FE of this version to be around 19.XXkmpl which sounds impressive. I feel that this is the best version of Punto available in india.
I am not sure what you meant by above statement (in bold)

See in gear acceleration (comparision with i20)
Punto ---- i20
0-100 (in secs) 16.21 ---- 12.75
20-80 (3rd gear) 13.97 ---- 16.61
40-100 (4th gear) 14.72 ---- 20.55

What it shows is yes you feel bit sluggish at start, but Punto has better drivability that even i20.

By altering the geometry of the turbine housing as the engine accelerates, the turbo's aspect ratio can be maintained at its optimum. Because of this, VGTs have a minimal amount of lag, have a low boost threshold, and are very efficient at higher engine speeds.
The lag of VGT will be less compared to normal turbo's.
But as Akash said, Punto 90HP has big lag.

Good report and pictures Akash. But am a little disappointed with this 90BHP'S performance. The initial turbo-lag mainly! I think it will be good if they launch this car in all other variants too as it would help in reducing the price of the car. How about top-speed Akash?

BTW my Verna has VGT but i never feel the initial turbo-lag and sluggishness , i agree its an altogether different engine but still they could have fine-tuned this turbo-lag IMO.

Thread Starter #24
@All- Thanks for liking the report.

@cooldhaya-Yes, the initial turbo lag was surprise for me too. But at around 1700rpm the sluggish behaviour suddenly changes to ultimate performance. The only dissappointment of 90HP is the initial response.

The lag of VGT will be less compared to normal turbo's.
But as Akash said, Punto 90HP has big lag.
Yes Turbo lag is still there but less as compared to that in the 75hp Punto. As i have already stated in the review, Punto is a great performer on highways and to me it beats even the Hyundai i20 when driven on highways.

Last edited:
The over all fuel efficiency of Punto is quite good and acceptable but in comparison to other diesel competitors, it’s still not on the top. Also, because the same diesel motor is now tuned to produce a few BHPs more, there is likely going to be a marginal drop in FE over regular model and there’s generally a sacrifice either in FE or performance. For more, click here.

Drive Safe,
350Z
VGT actually improves the efficiency and i think it is claimed to be 20kmpl for punto vgt.
Also make no mistake about it, FIAT engines open up after about 5k kms and then the vgt would be a delight to drive.

All in all a good review.
Great work.

Thread Starter #26
VGT actually improves the efficiency and i think it is claimed to be 20kmpl for punto vgt.
Also make no mistake about it, FIAT engines open up after about 5k kms and then the vgt would be a delight to drive.

All in all a good review.
Great work.
Yes the claimed fe is around 20kmpl, which i believe the Punto90HP is capable of delivering. Anyways i would rate the car 4.5/5. Highway drive on this Punto is addictive.

350Z

Core Team
Whatever it might be, comparatively there are other hatches in same segment available which score even better when it comes to mileage, and that too with a bigger engine. It’s a different case though, that extracting the claimed figures is challenging in day to day life.

Drive Safe,
350Z

Thread Starter #28
The current Punto is delivering good FE results, also the only contender to this is the Hyundai i20.

That is true! Hyundai i20 scores better scores for upmarket interrior and its sportiniess. So far I have not heard any one mentioning about the lag in i20. FE is also in par with Punto. Some feels like i20 is better looking. On the other hand, FIAT's engines are well established and proven. Interior could have been better in at least this 90HP version, to be honest. Just giving a red stwich is not good enough. End of the day, both are VFM! A deal, for which its buyers will never regret!

I really cant understand why is that Fiat always fails to get the right power delivery. The engine setup is similar to Linea, with less weight it should actually be quicker but it is late by 1 second to 0-100. The same engine in other cars are much quicker, including the Vista.

Top Bottom