Fiat Grande Punto 90HP - Detailed Ownership Review

Ha ha the last one is very humorous!

If the person behind is not tailgating you , any vehicle can be stopped for sure!

Thread Starter #17
love it or hate it

i always wondered what is this all about love it or hate it in fiat cars.
now i know very well-niggles!!!
1.steering wheel and instrument cluster (brownish black) is something i don't want to take off my eyes from. and at night when they are lit incredibly with amber glow.but dull greyish silver centre console looks too dated needless to say it doesnt even match the slick dark dashboard.

2.no need to mention those steering wheels are directly imported from italy..so volume controls are on left side of steering moreover the volume control on ICE is also on far left, too small to reach. as mentioned before headlamp/indicator stalk is on left side and wiper stalk on right;compromising on my laziness a bit much.

3.my legs would freeze to solidify but my brother on front passenger seat would swear he feels pain on face due to cold but his feet are still sweating. we inspected and found floor mat came off , obstructing the ac vents and it couldn't be fixed as their was nothing to hook on .

4.front passenger seat is shaking from the day one which SA promised me to replace with the new one as soon as it arrives . i am still waiting for the call.(Fiat you gave me a defective product)
5.the cabin is extremely quite (thanks to fiat-sometime i feel deaf) hence i discovered faint (very much faint) squeaks coming from the dash-SA told me it nothing to worry it will be fixed when the seat would be replaced.

6.horn is very powerful and loud (great for those deaf Indian citizens) but the tone is terrible like that of taxi cabs; Mrs. did not like them at all!!!
7.head unit sounds and feels good but the loudspeaker needs immediate replacements .
8.fifth wheel in the boot doesn't have alloys!!!!!!!!!!!

[surprise]finally Mrs. is much interested to drive this car she says it is comfortable and convenient. she was lethargic and scared to drive previous indica vista and maruthi alto. contrary to that she keeps nagging "either punto or me, decide whom do you want!!"

A very comprehensive review bro! We can adjust with everything else but spare wheel could have been alloys as well! I have seen many manufacturers practicing this , how much is that going to cost? A person paying 7lakhs would not mind paying a few thousand bucks more!

Congrats buddy.

2. our neighbourhood senior person still insists that steel rims (in indica vista) are better and stronger than alloy wheels (in punto) he says "alloys are just aluminium to reduce the weight -he may be right"
Not at all true. alloys are much stronger than steel wheels. the only difference is, steel wheels bend on impact whereas alloys crack.

7.when i said punto has great brakes with abs and ebd one of my friend commented"that is very much dangerous!! as too much of brake will make you stop suddenly for sure including the guy behind ,who may stop over you!!!!!"
[lol]

6.horn is very powerful and loud (great for those deaf Indian citizens) but the tone is terrible like that of taxi cabs; Mrs. did not like them at all!!!
try replacing them with Roots Windtone 60.

7.head unit sounds and feels good but the loudspeaker needs immediate replacements .
Loudspeaker? you mean speakers?

8.fifth wheel in the boot doesn't have alloys!!!!!!!!!!!
Thats a norm in small cars. Its cost cutting.

Thread Starter #20
should i or shouldn't i!!!

planning to do some mods but feeling confused!!
i feel red(photoshoped) looks hot on the grill and alloy rims.

friends your opinions are most appreciated

Attachments

Thread Starter #21
Congrats buddy.

Not at all true. alloys are much stronger than steel wheels. the only difference is, steel wheels bend on impact whereas alloys crack.

[lol]

try replacing them with Roots Windtone 60.

Loudspeaker? you mean speakers?

Thats a norm in small cars. Its cost cutting.
thank you raj_5004:
yes alloys are stronger, lighter and looks great but steel have better tensile strenght handelling capabilities, steel can absorb lots of shock loads far better than brittle alloys. in critical situations steels absorbs the impact and possibly get bent but alloys will either crack or transmit the force to suspensions or vehicle chassis( in worst cases may damage both ).

i will definitly enquire about Roots Windtone 60.!!

four oem speakers on the doors,they are weak and of low quality . they tend to rattle at moderate volumes . i am an audiophile and i cant bear it.

thanks a bunch!

excellent review buddy. really enjoyed reading each and every paragraph. [:)] also feels great to see 90 bhp punto owner with us. rated 5/5 stars to this great thread. personally i dont like punto mod on above pic. why dont you go with stock modification (stickers etc.) ...which i think fiat optionally provides??

If you are an audiophile, you must upgrade the speakers.

frankly, i dint like the red alloys & grille, its too loud IMO. I think titanium finish would look good.

Thread Starter #24
thank you both , Umang and raj.

if red doesnt feel appealing i drop it (everybody in home is laughing at red on punto-poor me)

well titanium finish seems to be wonderful idea.

how do i do titanium finish? is there any special kind of coating or paint available .
ps:- i dont want to replace the stock alloys or tyres they seems to be good .

yes i am an audiophile and a serious one. when i turn on the music i need it exactly how it was recorded not in volumes but in quality. for my home i imported special speakers from denmark.for car in the market i see only pioneer ,sony et al... needless to say they doesnt fullfil my needs.
out of patience i built a 1200w kenwood subwoofer for indica vista but my Mrs. threw it out saying it was too much boomy and rattling whole car ( my brother agreed with her) and project ended there!!!!

the indicator/headlamp stalks on left side:- its really annoying part to regulary use left hand for indicator .while at slower speeds while turning gear shifting and indicator really messes up.

and of course for head lamp high beam or to dim, again i need my left hand [frustration]. normally left hand was only reserved for gear shifting in my previous car but now it remains buzy.!!!

Congrats on your new car, drive safe thousands of happy miles. I agree on above part it really annoys!!![frustration]

Thread Starter #26
titbits

only reason why people gripe on punto is; 70 percent due to poor customer relations . the tata showrooms personnels treat potential fiat buyer as indica taxi cab owners . i am not discriminating those indica cab owners but they are not looking for any hospitality but price.
a potential fiat buyer is looking for values consisting mainly of quality. that is where poor souls tend to listen to heart than head or vice versa. i wonder how tata would understand it.
so far i haven't faced any poor treatment from tata showroom rather i can put the word" not so bad" i had visited tata service centre for umpteen number of times with indica vista and felt those clumsy way lacking in professionalism (mango juice or spicy tea is the regular treat).
considering the inputs from lot of other users in forums and reviews who had to face those bitter experiences, i am hoping for or rather expecting disasters sooner or later .
my only prayer is let tata improve(i am a proud indian) and let them keep the standards up..up..up.. day by day.and i hope they are doing it commendably.
contrary to these, the hidden part is tata seems to be overflowing with sales in other sectors like trucks,buses,steel,military and what not.
hope they dont ignore the little car buziness in the rush.
Nano has some new upcoming threats . alien companies have well absorbed the indian mind. nonetheless, if toyota or honda releases a small car for 2 lakhs with gizmos, looks and power.there will be n number of buyers and (n= brand conscious fun loving peoples) just imagine fate of our 1lac title- mockery it would be.
punto is fantastic car and mine(*+*^*&%&^$^#%=touch-wood) is awsome till this date. i dont have those new things and old things kind of attachments. if punto is good it is definilty good, if not it is worst. same was with indica vista. it was also a good car with fiat engine though. but tata was bit naive with those gear ratios in vista ,making fuel taken for granted compared to rest of its kind.
but i must mention it particularly that i was not a fiat fan before buying punto. punto is the reason why i joined even this forum .to be exact before going for punto all i knew about fiat was "fiat padmini and fiat uno " now i know ferrari,mesaratti,and much more. hope you all could measure the level of excitement in youngsters like me just due to a car.
just hoping those nasty A.s.s and ill treatments don't kill the boy in me.

i was very much concerned about interior quality, fit and finish (reading all those reviews and forums i was v-much worried after booking).fortunately to this date they are fine for an Indian but did not meet European standards or finish . but i am keeping in mind a fact that European standards mean European price;which i may need to pay for a.s.s, thanks to tata i am much much on safer side with India's most common diesal engine and tata's backup.
i was very well convinced when i saw interiors of bmw-525d they are of top notch but lo the indicator stalk is yet on left side on RHS drive car same as in punto (though the car was auto transmission yet) so bmw owners and myself are almost in same shoe when it comes to turning.

Last edited:
This is one hell of a thread![clap] One of the best threads I have read on any forum till date.
This is what FIAT does to its owners. You talk about it as if it is a family member and really FIAT cars do generate such passions and only those who own FIAT's can experience this.
Like the FIAT website says "YOU DON'T BUY A FIAT, YOU OWN IT"!
Great thread. Keep it rocking

P.S. --> Felt like replying to every post but ended up with this much only.

Thread Starter #28
This is one hell of a thread![clap] One of the best threads I have read on any forum till date.
This is what FIAT does to its owners. You talk about it as if it is a family member and really FIAT cars do generate such passions and only those who own FIAT's can experience this.
Like the FIAT website says "YOU DON'T BUY A FIAT, YOU OWN IT"!
Great thread. Keep it rocking

P.S. --> Felt like replying to every post but ended up with this much only.
thanks Ichimaru,

yes you are right .such passions could be generated by fiat cars only the reasons which is my own experience is.
fiat is a global brand well acclaimed with excellent reputation since ages.
there is numerous numbers of views available, the forums and reviews are never ending . even india is included. fiat used to be one fine car owned by doctors and such peoples.
fiat is common mans brand globally .with very high end products like ferrari and mesaratti also glittering in their crown.
needless to mention how much common nowadays fiat engines are.
so one feels like a member of vast family spread across the continent.
[cheers]

350Z

Core Team
Jayadev, first of all, a big round of applause for the great efforts which you have keenly poured in to compose such an extensive ownership review, this thread receives another 5/5 star rating from my end. It was interesting to read your friend’s reactions and other good and bad bits of the car which you have truthfully described about. This sure is one helluva thread, and definitely going to help many. Congratulations for the purchase, though, white looks basic but with an overall gorgeous design of the Punto, it’s quite easy to overlook that. :smile:

jayadev said:
only reason why people gripe on punto is; 70 percent due to poor customer relations . the tata showrooms personnels treat potential fiat buyer as indica taxi cab owners . i am not discriminating those indica cab owners but they are not looking for any hospitality but price.a potential fiat buyer is looking for values consisting mainly of quality. that is where poor souls tend to listen to heart than head or vice versa. i wonder how tata would understand it. so far i haven't faced any poor treatment from tata showroom rather i can put the word" not so bad" i had visited tata service centre for umpteen number of times with indica vista and felt those clumsy way lacking in professionalism (mango juice or spicy tea is the regular treat).
Ditto to that.

Drive Safe,
350Z

Thread Starter #30
memorable moments punto!!

first and most brilliant .

the response and feedback i received from TAI in these couple of days. thanks a zillion to all of you who is taking time to recognize my(fiatian's) passion.

2.family is going gaga over punto except dad and mom. they are totally moved as why three of us (me ,mrs. and my younger brother)are always discussing so much about this car. even though they are trying to catch our wavelength but it seems they are out of range.regular query from dad and mom "after all this is only a machine!!. why is it so much different from rest of the car."
3. my brother is hardcore honda fan;for their practicality and technology.
but punto is one car which flattered him. he says "this car seems to be alive it demands respect".definitely due to handelling and steering precision.

4. small car is small car we can have it glued to us like a pet( but only lucky ones like punto serves.) i have used dakota slt ,ford ranger and maruthi 800 almost at same time but comparatively i always liked to hop around in m800 they are hassle free (and friendly) . which makes me believe that it is not value or quantity but the response a machine provides which makes us fall in love with it .
5.and that is what happening around the globe. punto(fiat) is not even one tenth the price of those luxurious beasts yet punto(fiat) attract a range of people from millionaires to layman apparently both of them have one common soul known as enthusiast.

6. i could have added couple of figures and gone for honda city, which one of my close friend had bought 3 months ago. but i swear if did go for honda city i would have missed all the fun.(can i think there would be so much to say if it was h.city ,naah i dont think so) similarly the showroom guys tried level best to convince me with linea.but me " who needs the boot ? i dont.!!"
7.learnt some new lessons: i thought 0-100 shoot out is all about car performance but not at all so .they are just marketing gimmick.(fiat can easily provides enough tactics for 0-100 in 11 secs with 90bhp 1200kg kerb) but that doesnt just help .

Top Bottom