FIAT Grande Punto 1.4 FIRE

Gear shift is well placed & the car comes with front armrest which makes your highway driving much more comfortable.
Zinam, are you sure you saw front arm rest, i don't thing Punto has any arm rest.

I also came to know that ABS in Linea and Punto is from Bosch.

Thread Starter #32
Zinam, are you sure you saw front arm rest, i don't thing Punto has any arm rest.

I also came to know that ABS in Linea and Punto is from Bosch.

OOps ! Thanks for correcting it RSM!

I did the TD of both Linea & Punto on same day. So would have gone wrong.

Regret for inconvenience caused. [cry]

Thread Starter #34
No !!

I test drove Punto & Linea before I become Road Test Manager of The Automtoive India!

I didn't post the report of Linea here!

Whats that (Eco Drive)? And only for E+?
For details on EcoDrive visit www.fiatecodrive.com

It works only in conjunction with Blue & Me and therefore i specified E+ owners. It doesnt work with Linea E+ but as a matter of fact 500, bravo and punto are the only cars i know of in which Eco Drive works.
Therefore, was curious to know if any punto owner tried it.

those wipers on punto are one of the best i ever found in a small car. extremely efficient due to light weight and tactical design. +1 for punto again.

i used to struggle in heavy rain with my previous car having conventional Bosch wipers they were heavy with metal frames but things got pretty different with punto they are much faster and noisefree.

Last edited:
Took TD of 1.4 petrol. Nice car I must say. However felt bulky to drive within city (maybe coz of my i10). On Highway no hatch will come closer to this except Fabia 1.6 in terms of ride and handling.

excellent review buddy. if this punto FIRE wasnt a fiat and instead a hyundai or honda, it would set the sales charts on "fire"!
yep I totally agree with you here:agree: had this been suzuki punto it would easily sell more than 15000 units month on month, but alas thanks to our herd mentality only downright ugly cars get the privilege of called "THE SEGMENT LEADERS":stupid:

.. had this been suzuki punto it would easily sell more than 15000 units month on month, but alas thanks to our herd mentality only downright ugly cars get the privilege of called "THE SEGMENT LEADERS":stupid:
you couldn't have put it better. I sometimes feel bad about Fiat, even after making such a beautiful car and all-pervading engine it just lost it. And it's mainly because of the herd mentality and a little uninspiring marketing and after sales. But you nailed it!

you couldn't have put it better. I sometimes feel bad about Fiat, even after making such a beautiful car and all-pervading engine it just lost it. And it's mainly because of the herd mentality and a little uninspiring marketing and after sales. But you nailed it!
+1 to that, FIAT ITALY'S decision of supplying the MULTIJET engine to SUZUKI also has costed FIAT INDIA big time [frustration].
Now if they are smart , they should not extend this contract once it expires :please:

The Grande Punto's insipid sales performance has also got to do with the fact that despite having the same diesel engine as the Swift, it is perceived to be significantly slower to accelerate. Not only that, even the 92 PS or 90 HP diesel on the Punto is supposed to hit the ton from standstill in more than 16 sec, 3 sec slower than the 75 PS or 74 HP Swift diesel!
This is a perception created in no small measure by our largest selling monthly car magazine. These figures, however, fly in the face of the laws of physics, especially since the Punto is just about 70 kg heavier (1135 to 1065 kg), not very significant at all.
And the January 2012 issue of the same magazine says the new Linea diesel, which incidentally features absolutely no changes to the engine/powertrain, covers 0-100 Kmph in 17.81 sec (earlier figure given was 15.04 sec)!!!
Please see the attached files, these are Wikipedia figures taken from their Linea and Grande Punto pages. Here are the links (press CTRL and click to follow the links):
Fiat Linea - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Fiat Grande Punto - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:
And the January 2012 issue of the same magazine says the new Linea diesel, which incidentally features absolutely no changes to the engine/powertrain, covers 0-100 Kmph in 17.81 sec (earlier figure given was 15.04 sec)!!!
@navtej if you drive punto90hp you will realize how sluggish it feels comparatively to swift or such cars.

It did not mean Punto has no credibility.

Punto has more torque in lower end so the drive ability in city and in slow speed is incredible. you can slot in 5th gear and go 25kmph without knocking or juddering from engine which means lesser gear shifts .

One thing should not be forgotten that Punto is made in Europe and it is super mini Hatch back car. purpose of such cars are not long tours or drag race but short drives in city limits for single family viz. two adults and two Kids at rear. which demands not too much of space at rear either.Puntu very much shouts about the same.
Considering the above criteria drive ability, ride quality,features and nvh of punto can compete with cars segment above where swift and similar cars have little or no stand.

The truth is we Indians are not that matured when it comes to car to have small car for city use , big suv or tourer for long vacations and couple of bikes for fun. in India if we have Maruthi Alto that is it about the luxury and that too chauffeur driven.

These Indian magazine as far as I believe are not lead by petrol head mind rather by what people want.they are not something (little) related to journalism but a kind of Advertisement media .

I have seen Hyundai i20 crdi showed 10.8 sec for 0-100kmph in particular (Indian) magazine but in no other source I came across such a figure. couple of doubts where raised by readers but they confirmed that their findings were accurate. I assume the manufacture themselves altered the Car before delivering it for test and review or something else...so this goes on.

Top Bottom