Few Questions About Mahindra Scorpio

Thread Starter #1
Dear Members,

I've few questions regarding Scorpio vlx AT 4x4 BS4 model SUV. Perhaps owners of Scorpio might be able to answer.

1. Is the second row seat reclinable? I mean do they recline enough to provide the passengers easier back rest?

2. Does the second row slide back? If yes, does it provide enough leg room for people who are 6ft+ tall?

Note: I am considering 2nd row bench configuration and not captain seat configuration.

3. Given that the 4x4 has a rear torsion bar suspension, how good is the ride quality for passengers sitting in the 2nd row?

4. Would RTO have a problem if I go with a bench in the 3rd row since that would make the vehicle a 8-seater?

Thanks a lot in advance for answering my questions.

Cheers,
Rafian

Re: Few Questions about Scorpio SUV

Hi Rafian, Welcome to TAI.
No seats position cannot be changed or reclined.

If you choose the 2nd row Bench seat, It cannot be reclined as well.
Better is to go for 2+3+2 configuration.

There is art of driving a Scorpio for a good ride and passengers can travel comfortably for hours together.

As you stay in Bangalore, there is an undertaking form that the vehicle is for own use and not for other purpose.

I would highly recommend you for a Manual transmission over Automatic .

1.For fuel efficiency
2.There have been instances of check engine lamp glowing indicating a false malfunction.

Manual is a trouble free better choice any day.

Dear Members,

I've few questions regarding Scorpio vlx AT 4x4 BS4 model SUV. Perhaps owners of Scorpio might be able to answer.

1. Is the second row seat reclinable? I mean do they recline enough to provide the passengers easier back rest?

2. Does the second row slide back? If yes, does it provide enough leg room for people who are 6ft+ tall?
If you buy a 8 seater version, the rear seat will slide as well as recline.

I am 6'2" and I used to sit comfortable but I have seen that space is a debatable topic, so you should try it out yourself.

4. Would RTO have a problem if I go with a bench in the 3rd row since that would make the vehicle a 8-seater?
Scorpio does come with a bench seat for the 3rd row. It has an option of side facing jump seats.

Dear Members,

Yes it is,but how much reclining is needed depends on the passengers.So overall its comfy.There is good cushioning too.

As much I remember,'YES'.About the comfort part:
Even 5 six footers can sit quite comfortable in Scorpio,no issue.The legroom is sufficient in itself,it feels less only when compared to other cars and if the passengers feel an urge to stretch up.

3. Given that the 4x4 has a rear torsion bar suspension, how good is the ride quality for passengers sitting in the 2nd row?
Definitely there is slight difference in ride quality and it is felt most by the third row passengers.

RTOs in India have no problem even if you sit 10 passengers in the car.

Thread Starter #5

Dear Members,

Thanks a bunch to the members who promptly responded to my queries.

I gathered the answers provided by you as follows:
1. Does the 2nd row recline?
Yes. Only if it's a 8-seater configuration.

2. Does the second row slide back?
Yes. Comfort level is ok.

Ride quality in the 2nd row is good. 3rd is not good.

RTO won't mind. I need to submit a form confirming my intention to use the vehicle as a personal one and not as a public mover (taxi).

Here's my story:
I would like to purchase a SUV/MUV soon. My main requirements are as follows:
- Very good/reliable diesel engine and transmission
- Must be automatic (I am not able to convince my family and myself to go with stick-shift)
- Comfortable 2nd row (must recline and slide)
- Must be a SUV or MUV
- Price up to 20 lakhs

It's sad that my only option is a Scorpio. I've heard mostly good things about Scorpio but there are quite a few people who have several minor issues with Scorpio (sensors failing, plastics breaking, hoses leaking, pumps failing, etc.,)

Your comments and suggestions are welcome.

Thanks again... This is such a great online community.

Cheers,
Rafian

Thread Starter #6

Dear Members,

Thanks a bunch to the members who promptly responded to my queries.

I gathered the answers provided by you as follows:
1. Does the 2nd row recline?
Yes. Only if it's a 8-seater configuration.

2. Does the second row slide back?
Yes. Comfort level is ok.

Ride quality in the 2nd row is good. 3rd is not good.

RTO won't mind. I need to submit a form confirming my intention to use the vehicle as a personal one and not as a public mover (taxi).

Here's my story:
I would like to purchase a SUV/MUV soon. My main requirements are as follows:
- Very good/reliable diesel engine and transmission
- Must be automatic (I am not able to convince my family and myself to go with stick-shift)
- Comfortable 2nd row (must recline and slide)
- Must be a SUV or MUV
- Price up to 20 lakhs

It's sad that my only option is a Scorpio. I've heard mostly good things about Scorpio but there are quite a few people who have several minor issues with Scorpio (sensors failing, plastics breaking, hoses leaking, pumps failing, etc.,)

Your comments and suggestions are welcome.

Thanks again... This is such a great online community.

Cheers,
Rafian

Scorpio is mechanically a reliable vehicle. Even I have heard some electronic glitches some owners have facing but when I had a Scorpio, we never had any electronic issues.

Some minor niggles here and there can be expected, its no Toyota.

Some minor niggles here and there can be expected, its no Toyota.
ha ha ha. very true,

but yes, scorpio has made its own place in SUV not only in india, but in overseas also. there was a time when scorpio was the highest exported car from india.

Buddy Scorpio auto is the car to be bought.
Minor niggles are in the driver not in the car.If you keep the car quite sensibly then you will get only 10% of the reported niggles.

Ask Raj,he has driven a scorpio for over 2 lac kms,he can tell it better than me.

Thread Starter #10
Raj, Good to know that you've driven the Scorpio a lot. Would you recommend Scorpio automatic? Please share any information that you might have about Scorpio automatic.
Thanks a bunch.
Cheers,
Rafian

Raj, Good to know that you've driven the Scorpio a lot. Would you recommend Scorpio automatic? Please share any information that you might have about Scorpio automatic.
Thanks a bunch.
Cheers,
Rafian
To be very honest, I have never owned a Scorpio A/T. I have driven it a few times though and thoroughly enjoyed it. It does not have any lag when compared the the M/T Scorpio, infact I felt it is quicker than the M/T.

Only grouse is, the A/T does not have a triptronic mode where I can manually change gears. That is okay though, considering the price of the vehicle.

About cons, I have not really heard many issues with the A/T but one particular person had gone to Ladakh with his Scorpio A/T and the vehicle broke down because of a leak in the A/T transmission. Apparently he had hit the reservoir somewhere. At the same time, I have another friend who bought a Scorpio A/T 4x4 for pure off roading purposes. And he is very happy with the car and it's off roading prowess. Of course, he has made some changes like heavy underbody protection. So if you plan only city rides with no heavy off roading, I guess it should be fine. By off roading, I mean actual mountain climbing and mud plugging, not bad roads.

Another con is that the M&M technicians are not really proficient in handling the A/T box. They will find to difficult to diagnose issues with it. So if M&M support is good in your side, then fine... else I will suggest the M/T.

Me being in Mumbai, I would not think once before buying a Scorpio A/T. It is the perfect car for city driving with some highway runs. My neighbour has a Scorpio A/T and I envy him...!

Thread Starter #12
Raj, Thanks a bunch for your detailed comments and guidance. There's a hole in the Indian SUV/MUV market - No automatics available within 20L price range other than Scorpio. Hope Maruti/Suzuki and Tata provide us more options in the coming years.
Thanks again...
Cheers,
Rafian

Top Bottom