Favourite Roads to Drive On

I have went on the shillong-guwahati road in the year of 2005 ,at that time I have taken the snaps in my Dad's cam, I dont have it with me.I will try to take snaps of the kolkata-durgapur expressway ,next time I go.

Its the Mumbai-Pune express way for me too.

People actually follow the lane systems & its fun to drive with indicators for changing lanes.

Yes few exception exist here too but not always.

For me first comes the ECR!! Just a two lane road with no divider and no fences. Very much fun to drive in the morning. Can cover Chennai to Pondicherry(approx 130km) in less than 90 minutes if you drive in a relaxed manner but can be covered in 45 minutes itself if driven in excess of 160kmph. But very risky road to drive in the night , lots of accident cases due to drunken driving.

Next comes the Chennai-Bangalore Highway. Six lane road with median also. Very good road with less traffic except the extreme ends of the roads where city traffic builds up. Have driven only once here , my dad's Safari. Bangalore can be reached in 5 hours approx through this road. Not much of risks involved AFAIK and pretty much safe to travel.

Next comes a small stretch , a by pass route for Chennai actually. Its Maduravoyal by pass. Just a 20km stretch but can be covered in 10 minutes. Six lane road with divider and fence also. Mostly this route is meant for lorry traffic only. Risky to travel in night as the road is pitch black , no reflectors used in the lane markings , medians and road edges also. But fun to drive in the morning. Actually this is the road where i test the top speed for my Verna as it has lots of straight stretches!!

Plus, I think in the thrill of driving, the photos take a back seat!!
Truely, Aditya.Thats like a genuine auto enthusiast!

So thats why I prefer to experience everything possible myself,rather than just keeping myself upto it without a personal experience in automobile world

Last edited:
Well,

I haven't been on Mumbai - Pune NH.

But Bangalore - Chennai Highway is one of the best NH which i travelled almost for twice a week for 1 year :-)

Next comes NH45. Neatly maintained with long & straight streches.

Next will be ECR. Well I will not call this as Highways as there is no Medians , Only two lanes.

Very Risky as well as Scenic Drive from CHennai - Pondichery.

Thread Starter #22
[:)]
I was very specific about titling the thread favourite roads, and not the best ... that would have lead to major discussions!!
I am planning on the ECR some time in May in the coming year ... and hoping to do it in a Merc ... someone I know has got one, and I plan to spend the 4 months maska-marofying that person to lend it to me for a day!!

Thread Starter #23
Just spent some time on the Delhi - Chandigarh route, and back.
Too much traffic, too many hazards, trucks stopped in the middle of the road, tractor trailers coming the other way ... spoilt the fun!!
It was actually a painful experience most of the time!!

350Z

Core Team
I haven't visited that route but dividers are must on Highways which most of them does not have!

Drive Safe,
350Z

Thread Starter #25
I haven't visited that route but dividers are must on Highways which most of them does not have!

Drive Safe,
350Z
Dividers are fine, but the problem is more with the lack of a service road, which sees these blockheads wanting to travel in the opposite direction to avoid going the half km odd in the right direction in search of a cut in the road!!

actually in this trip, i traveled only in Bihar and OMG! The roads have improved so much since i saw the last tiem 2.5 years ago!!
i mean before when we went to Bodh Gaya by car it supposed to take 5-6 hours and it is only 140 KM
now it took only 2 hours
our indigo was travelling at 130-140!!

Nice to see India has improved a lot!

Archit, why not start a thread on your Trip to India!

We are all waiting!

Top Bottom