Fate Of Older Cars in Mumbai

Thread Starter #1
I couldn't find anything on this topic so started a new thread. Mods, if its not required, please do the needful.

A few months ago I came across a few articles saying that cars older than 15 years will be scrapped. But as I see many people are able to register their cars in most cities. Any idea if cars older than 15 years are still allowed to ply on Mumbai roads? Whats the latest status on this?

The reason I ask is because, my brother who recently started working wants to buy his first car. He does not want to buy an Alto or WagonR. he learnt to drive on a City iDSI. He feels that its a great car and has shortlisted a few. He wants to use the car for 2-3 years at least. So if he has to scrap the car after 15 years, then he needs to buy something around 12 years old. Also, wanted to know if the CVT is worth purchasing as far as reliability is concerned and what shud be the max kms on CVT to be considered for purchase? he will be using the car to travel to work, abt 10 kms daily and occasional weekend drives.

Any help i this matter will be appreciated. Thank you.

I couldn't find anything on this topic so started a new thread. Mods, if its not required, please do the needful.

A few months ago I came across a few articles saying that cars older than 15 years will be scrapped. But as I see many people are able to register their cars in most cities. Any idea if cars older than 15 years are still allowed to ply on Mumbai roads? Whats the latest status on this?

The reason I ask is because, my brother who recently started working wants to buy his first car. He does not want to buy an Alto or WagonR. he learnt to drive on a City iDSI. He feels that its a great car and has shortlisted a few. He wants to use the car for 2-3 years at least. So if he has to scrap the car after 15 years, then he needs to buy something around 12 years old. Also, wanted to know if the CVT is worth purchasing as far as reliability is concerned and what shud be the max kms on CVT to be considered for purchase? he will be using the car to travel to work, abt 10 kms daily and occasional weekend drives.

Any help i this matter will be appreciated. Thank you.
The scrappage policy is yet not implemented in Maharashtra and yes you can easily reregister your car older than 15 years in Mumbai, only condition it should be roadworthy. A colleague of mine got his 2002 honda city CVT re registered some months back, abeit he had to pay good amount of penalty as the reregistration was due in 2017 but he did it in Dec 2019. He did it all by himself and did not need any agent as his vehicle was well maintained and fit.

Thread Starter #3
Thank you for your reply. I am sure even after the scrapage policy comes into force, if a car registration has been extended, the car will be scrapped only after the extension ends.

Last edited:

Top Bottom