FASTag: What, How & Why

Please check the previous post (post no.208) of this thread, for details.

Road users can visit any authorised point-of-sale location with a valid registration certificate (RC) of the vehicle and get an NHAI FASTag free of cost, it said.

(According to media reports, “To search for the nearest NHAI FASTag point-of-sale locations, one may download MyFASTag App, or visit www.ihmcl.com or Call 1033 NH helpline number,” )
Found one in our city, but it is like 15 kms away. It will take about an hour to get there. Had a word with the concerned he said the owner needs to come with rc and his vehicle as the vehicle after applying fastag will also be scanned. To save 100 rupees I don't think that my friend agree. But the advantage as per the concerned is that the fastag will be issued by the NHAI so there will be no chance of it not working, getting black listed etc.
The governement should have waived off charges from all sources i.e. from banks also.

Nairrk

Honoured Member
NHAI collects Rs 20 crore from 18 lakh defaulters entering FASTag lanes

fastags-1582457715.jpg

National Highways Authority of India (NHAI) on Sunday said it has collected Rs 20 crore from 18 lakh defaulters who entered the FASTag lanes at electronic toll plazas on National Highways without the tag. Rolling out the electronic toll collection programme across India in December, the Ministry of Road Transport and Highways had said that double toll charge would be collected from the vehicles entering FASTag lanes without the tag.

In order to give prime importance to existing FASTag users, dissuade defaulters and further encourage adoption of FASTags by national highways commuters, vehicles without FASTags entering the FASTag lane are being charged double the toll fee, NHAI said in a statement.

Read:

Nairrk

Honoured Member
Govt plans to make FASTag mandatory for buying third party vehicle insurance from April 1, 2021

The Ministry of Road Transport and Highways has proposed to make FASTag mandatory for buying new third-party motor insurance for your car with effect from April 1, 2021.

Besides, the ministry is also considering making FASTag mandatory from January 1, 2021 for four-wheelers sold before December 2017.

A government press release, issued on September 3, 2020, said "Ministry of Road Transport and Highways has notified draft notification GSR 541 (E) dated 1st September 2020 to seek comments and suggestions from the stakeholders on making FASTag mandatory for old vehicles sold before 1st December 2017. The amended provision in CMVR, 1989 is proposed to be put in force w.e.f 1st Jan 2021. Further, it is proposed to make having a valid FASTag mandatory while getting a new 3rd party insurance (through an amendment in the certificate of Insurance), wherein the details of FASTag ID shall be captured. This is proposed to be put in force w.e.f. 1 April 2021."

Read

deville_56

Honoured Member
The closest toll plaza is 200 km north and 100+ km south for me and I hardly cross them once every 2 years that too with any of our highway friendly cars with smaller ones just for city use. I don't think it is a good idea wasting money on cars that's never gonna hit that way.

Nairrk

Honoured Member
The closest toll plaza is 200 km north and 100+ km south for me and I hardly cross them
My position is also almost same if not worse. Everyone has taken Fastag as such I too have taken one and fixed on the windshield, but never had a chance to cross any Toll Plaza as on date. In fact, I wanted to drive down to Trivandrum during last vacation, but Covid-19 spoiled all programmes. Hope ICICI will not deactivate the Fastag because not using them for long [confused]

The closest toll plaza is 200 km north and 100+ km south for me and I hardly cross them once every 2 years that too with any of our highway friendly cars with smaller ones just for city use. I don't think it is a good idea wasting money on cars that's never gonna hit that way.
Same for me, and what I feel is, if at all there comes a rule Fast tag is absolutely necessary for crossing a toll, what I would do is, find an alternative route (maybe 10km long, but I will go through the same ), as in my case too, I come to Toll areas, only once in a year.

deville_56

Honoured Member
My position is also almost same if not worse. Everyone has taken Fastag as such I too have taken one and fixed on the windshield, but never had a chance to cross any Toll Plaza as on date. In fact, I wanted to drive down to Trivandrum during last vacation, but Covid-19 spoiled all programmes. Hope ICICI will not deactivate the Fastag because not using them for long [confused]
Validity is for 5 years. No mention of what after that whether to renew or apply for new.

Same for me, and what I feel is, if at all there comes a rule Fast tag is absolutely necessary for crossing a toll, what I would do is, find an alternative route (maybe 10km long, but I will go through the same ), as in my case too, I come to Toll areas, only once in a year.
I would take or don't mind taking for the cars I would be using for highway (like our Fiesta). EcoSport being new got one. Estilo and Beat never gonna go that far, which makes me think of the waste of money. Heard new toll coming in Kollam and Thiruvallom bypasses, which makes it a necessity, but again I think it shouldn't be mandatory for people with very little or no chances of passing tollgates. For such users, there can be a paid gate, which would have minuscule traffic by the time Fastag becomes common for regular commuters.

Last edited:

bhvm

Honoured Member
Govt plans to make FASTag mandatory for buying third party vehicle insurance from April 1, 2021

The Ministry of Road Transport and Highways has proposed to make FASTag mandatory for buying new third-party motor insurance for your car with effect from April 1, 2021.

Read
This a completely Unrelated and Unnecessary move. Sadly, Car enthusiasts in India have been totally bombarded with such Unwanted Rulings and Policies. The Joys of Driving seems to be fading away these days.

Nairrk

Honoured Member
FASTags mandatory for all four wheelers from January 1

To further augment electronic toll collection, the government on Saturday said it has made FASTags mandatory for all four-wheelers including old vehicles from January 1, 2021.

The Ministry of Road Transport and Highways (MoRTH) has issued a notification for promotion of digital and IT based payment of fees through FASTags.
The government has issued a notification "making FASTag mandatory to be available by January 1, 2021 in old vehicles also i.e. M and N category of motor vehicles (four wheelers) sold before December 1, 2017 through amendments in CMVR, 1989", the MoRTH said in a statement.

As per Central Motor Vehicles Rules, 1989, the FASTag had been made mandatory for registration of new four wheeled vehicles since December 1, 2017 and is being supplied by the vehicle manufacturers or their dealers.

"It had further been mandated that the renewal of fitness certificate will be done only after the fitment of FASTag for the transport vehicles.

Further that for national permit vehicles the fitment of FASTag has been mandated since October 1, 2019," the statement said.

The government also said that a valid FASTag is mandatory while getting a new third party insurance through an amendment in FORM 51 (certificate of Insurance), wherein the details of FASTag ID shall be captured. This shall be applicable w.e.f. April 1, 2021.

The move is a major step for ensuring that the payment of fees is done at toll plazas through the electronic means only and that the vehicles pass seamlessly through the toll plazas.

"The steps for ensuring the availablity of FASTag at multiple channels are being made through physical locations and also through online mechanism so that the citizens are able to have them affixed at their vehicles within the next two months at their convenience," the statement said.

The National Electronic Toll Collection (NETC) programme, the flagship initiative of the MoRTH, has been implemented on a pan-India basis in order to remove bottlenecks and ensure seamless movement of traffic and collection of user fee as per the notified rates, using passive radio frequency identification (RFID) technology.

FASTag is a prepaid tag that enables automatic deduction of toll charges and lets the vehicle pass through the toll plaza without stopping for the cash transaction.

The radio-frequency identification (RFID)-based FASTag is affixed on the windscreen of the vehicle.

It allows for direct payment of fee from the prepaid or savings account linked to it and enables vehicles to drive through without stopping for transactions.

Source

bhvm

Honoured Member
These days taking a spin the car feels like Going Abroad. The amount of Compliance is Staggering with no Signs of stopping.

Nairrk

Honoured Member
FASTag deadline extended from January 1 to February 15

The central government has reportedly extended the FASTag deadline for the vehicles in India from January 1, 2021, to February 15, 2021.

The Union Ministry of Road Trasport and Highways (MoRTH) had issued a notification last month making FASTags mandatory for all the vehicles from January 1, 2021. Also, the Road Transport and Highways Minister Nitin Gadkari had announced last week that the FASTag rule will be enforced from January 1, 2021.

FASTag is a reloadable tag that allows an automatic deduction of toll charges. It is affixed on the windscreen of the vehicle and uses RFID (Radio Frequency Identification) technology for making payments at the toll plazas without the need to stop the vehicle for any cash transaction. The toll amount is deducted directly from an account linked to the FASTag.

On December 24, 2020, FASTag-based toll collection had crossed Rs 80 crore per day mark for the first time, with 50 lakh FASTag transactions.

The MoRTH had recently claimed that making FASTags mandatory would be a major step towards ensuring that the payment of toll charges at the plazas is entirely through electronic means only.

The FASTags have also been made mandatory for registration of new four-wheelers and are being supplied by the automakers or the dealerships. A valid FASTag will be required for obtaining new third party insurance from April 1, 2021.

According to official data, more than 2.20 crore FASTags have been issued since their introduction in India in 2016.

Source

Nairrk

Honoured Member
FASTag users using Mumbai-Pune Expressway to get THIS much cashback

Vehicle owners will get a cashback of five per cent over payment of toll through FASTag at toll plazas on the Mumbai-Pune Expressway and Bandra-Worli Sealink from January 11, the Maharashtra State Road Development Corporation (MSRDC) said on Thursday. As per a release issued by the transport body, the cashback scheme was launched in a bid to increase the number of vehicles using FASTag.

Read

Top Bottom