FASTag: What, How & Why

Nairrk

Honoured Member
FASTag mandatory for all vehicles in 4 months: Transport Minister Nitin Gadkari

Fastag.jpg

Road Transport and Highways Minister, Nitin Gadkari has been quite active since the past few months and has announced a number of schemes and methods along with mandates to reform the Indian traffic and road conditions. Just a few days back, he proposed that Nitrogen in tires should be made mandatory across the country. Now, the union minister has dropped another announcement which states that FASTag for motor vehicles would be made mandatory for all in four months. He made this announcement while replying to a discussion on demands for grants for the road transport and highways ministry in the Budget. He further added that people had to pay the toll if they wanted good roads.

Read:

Nitrogen in tires should be made mandatory across the country.
That is another idiotic, controversial rule from the government. How will they ensure that tyres have nitrogen or air? Will they set up mobile laboratories to harass the car owners/drivers? I have been filling atmospheric air using my portable compressor for my car and motorcycle at my home since many years. I don't believe nitrogen or air make any difference to the safety or longevity of the tyres. I will continue my usage of portable pump/air for my car and motorcycle in future too, notwithstanding the government's diktat.

Nairrk

Honoured Member
FASTag to Become Mandatory For Vehicles: Tech Behind The Tag And How it Works

FASTag.png

Earlier this month, the Road Transport and Highways Minister Nitin Gadkari announced that FASTags will become mandatory for all vehicles from December this year. This means that any vehicle, private or commercial, which has the FASTag will be able to swiftly make contactless payments at toll plazas on national highways and be on their way.

Read:

Nairrk

Honoured Member
FASTag mandatory from Dec 1 – All you need to know details

fastag-india-toll-plaza-price-1.jpg

FASTag will become mandatory from December 1, 2019, so make sure you get one for your vehicle. You will need it if you use any of the state or national highways that have toll plazas. New cars are already equipped with FASTag and you just need to get it activated. If you are using an old car, you need to get the FASTag from government certified service providers such as HDFC Bank, ICICI Bank, Paytm, and Equitas. You can get your FASTag from any of these service providers.

Read:

Nairrk

Honoured Member
Airtel Payments Bank users can now purchase FASTag in India

Airtel Payments Bank has partnered with National Payments Corporation of India and Indian Highways Management Company Limited to sell FASTag in India. With this, FASTag will be made available across its digital and retail touch points across the country.

One can purchase FASTag in a matter of few clicks on the Bank section of the Airtel Thanks app. Airtel Payments Bank is offering a special benefit of Rs 50 cashback on FASTag purchase made via the app. Airtel Thanks customers will soon be able to enjoy an additional benefit of Rs 50 cashback on the online purchase of FASTag. For those who are not aware, FASTag enables automatic cashless payments at toll plazas across India.

Read:

Nairrk

Honoured Member
I have booked with ICICI on 14th Nov and paid Rs.450. They informed that the card (sticker) will be delivered to me in 8 working days.

FASTAG mandatory from December 1, 2019, else pay double.
So went for Fastag, from ICICI bank app. 100 for Fastag card, 200 Deposit, 200 Recharge.

ICICI bank app, also has top up option so recharge will not be a problem. Now the wait for the card begins.

Nairrk

Honoured Member
They charged me ₹450 only? Why ,₹50 less. (Is that because I have SB account with them or paid money using ICICI debit card?

By the way, how many days waiting for the card? ( They told me 8 days)..

Nairrk

Honoured Member
Today I logged in (using the customer Id given by ICICI when applied for the Fastag) to ICICI Fastag. The account shows '0' balance which means the Rs.449.56 paid was for deposit and bank charges. Any amount paid in excess of Rs.450 will be shown as our account balance. Now, I will have to recharge if I have to use the Fastag for toll payments.

Still waiting for the sticker.!

I logged to icici bank account, the way the fastag account is set up as

Customer ID which will have one or many car association. Each car will have a account and balance against the car. They also have a Fastag Wallet which can be loaded, and if you have more than one Fastag cards or Vehicles associated, you should be able to move the money from Fastag wallet to each vehicle account. Unless you move money into the vehicle account, you will not be able to use the fastag associated with that car.

I have not explored funding the wallet as yet, but I have recharged the Vehicle account with 100 rs, and was able to successfully do it. Now the vehicle account shows balance of 300 which ,means, 200 from the first 499 transaction done and then 100 recharge.

For the wallet though, min of Rs 1000 recharge is mandatory.

I have been allotted a car sticker number. Waiting for the sticker to arrive, don't know when it will arrive.

Last edited:

Top Bottom