FASTag: What, How & Why

OT - On recent trip between Bangalore - Mangalore I saw all FastTag lanes clogged by non FastTag vehicles upto the point (50 m) from toll plaza. Then there are security guys to segregate and allow FastTag vehicles on that lane and others to immediate left or right lane.

OT - On recent trip between Bangalore - Mangalore I saw all FastTag lanes clogged by non FastTag vehicles upto the point (50 m) from toll plaza. Then there are security guys to segregate and allow FastTag vehicles on that lane and others to immediate left or right lane.
Second that. It happened to me as well on Saturday (21st Apr) when I had a day trip run to Shettihalli Church (near Hasan) & return the same day. Could it be b'cos of the fact that all lanes are Fastag enabled? I wasn't aware of it in this highway, hence had to go through the Fastag lanes.

^^ Yes this is true, it creates an utter confusion , it is better if signage are given 1 km and 500 m before the toll plaza so people can plan accordingly.

Nairrk

Honoured Member
I have got a Fastag sticker which was arranged by Tata dealer when I recently bought the Tata Tigor (it is compulsory to get Fastag for RTO registration purpose). They arranged the Fastag from paytm and the pack contains sticker & application form. I am not sure whether the dealer logged in to paytm in different id/password and paid Rs.600 for this sticker.

Do I still need to fill up the application form (since I already have got the sticker) and send to paytm.? (The application has to be signed by me and issuing Agent?)

I think they need the RC copy of the Car which yet to come from the RTO?

Is there any valdity for this sticker?

(In any case there is no toll plaza in the vicinity of at least 200/250kms which has the Fastag system installed, so this is not going to be my regular use, as such I don't know where I am going to use this sticker[roll])

If the sticker is activated you should have got one OTP which will come to your registered mobile number.
Rs 600 includes usable balance of Rs 150 which will show in your PayTm App. The sticker should be pasted on the Windshield (preferably at the center) and if you use FastTag lane balance would be deducted from your Paytm. If balance is 0 , you need to top up.

Nairrk

Honoured Member
I remember, a few days back, I received an OTP from paytm and immediately the dealer guy called and asked me to share the OTP. So, it seems the sticker was activated by the dealer. However, he did not share any other details

Now, how do I know it was activated?

Call the fastag support number of your provider and ask them to update the contact details, like e-mail ID so that all mails are sent to you directly. Usually dealer puts their mail ID in the contact detail. Give the support person your Fastag details and ask them to activate the account. They will provide instructions to reset your password.

I remember, a few days back, I received an OTP from paytm and immediately the dealer guy called and asked me to share the OTP. So, it seems the sticker was activated by the dealer. However, he did not share any other details

Now, how do I know it was activated?
After few days it would show in your PayTM app balance. It is already activated.

We can buy a to and fro toll ticket at few(may be in almost all) tolls if we pay by cash provided if we return on the same day before 12 AM. Is there any such provisions for Fastag users?

E.g ... I was paying Rs.110 for to and fro before I procured fastag where one way chage was 85. But now I need to pay 85+85 = 170 through fastag

No. depending on your return time at same toll plaza, only balance amount for return would be charged.

E.g. if the single is rs. 50, then on the first time it will deduct Rs. 50, and if you return within 24 hours, it will charge only Rs. 25, supposing the rate for return is Rs. 75/-. The Fastag system automatically does this, so you need not worry.

In case any problem arising with such deduction you can contact the fastag support desk of your provider and raise a ticket and they will generally refund the amount in the case of genuine error.

Last edited:
No. depending on your return time at same toll plaza, only balance amount for return would be charged.

E.g. if the single is rs. 50, then on the first time it will deduct Rs. 50, and if you return within 24 hours, it will charge only Rs. 25, supposing the rate for return is Rs. 75/-. The Fastag system automatically does this, so you need not worry.
In case any problem arising with such deduction you can contact the fastag support desk of your provider and raise a ticket and they will generally refund the amount in the case of genuine error.

Thanks Harishankar. I was unaware of this info. I was charged 85+85 near Bengaluru airport toll plaza, suppose to be 85+55 (Rs130 for to & fro). Time difference was hardly 15 minutes as I dropped my parents near drop off area and returned back immediately. I will raise this concern with Paytm fastag customer care.

Thanks Harishankar. I was unaware of this info. I was charged 85+85 near Bengaluru airport toll plaza, suppose to be 85+55 (Rs130 for to & fro). Time difference was hardly 15 minutes as I dropped my parents near drop off area and returned back immediately. I will raise this concern with Paytm fastag customer care.
KIAL toll has this issue. Usually they take about 20-30 days to adjust. You will get a notification pretty soon, if not already. I have got some notifications as much as 45 days later, without any reminders to them, although I have a HDFC Fastag. Some toll plazas are equipped, so they deduct the return fare. Some toll plazas deduct the full amount & refund it later on. As Hari said, it is 24hrs rather than day end.

Note: Sorry for the long post. I desperately need help.

I am having severe headache trying to get a FASTag for my car.

I initially applied in Paytm thinking it's the best option. Ordered on 23rd July 2018 when there was a cashback offer for FASTag purchase. Got a message to upload required documents which I uploaded immediately. but the order was silently cancelled on 12th Aug 2018. Thinking this might be an issue since I ordered from the offer link, I ordered it again from the usual link on 14th Aug 2018. Again got message with link to upload the documents.. which I did and no signs of FASTag So I called customer care for which they said it's in process and requested to wait. Then again it got cancelled on 07th Aug 2018.

After getting fed up with Paytm, I thought it's best to try through regular banks (biggest mistake). so I selected HDFC since I have my salary account there. Ordered with HDFC on same day 07 SEP 2018. HDFC had only link to upload RC copy while booking which did. then again it was a stone inside the wall. I called HDFC FASTag CC to check status. Then informed me that they need documents to proceed and waiting for it. They gave a mail id to send the required documents.. I send RC book, PAN Card, AADHAR, Driving licensed to that mail id. then again no updates.. then I called them a couple of times for which they asked to wait as it's still in process.. All off a sudden I got a mail from SAHAJ (support.fastag@sahaj.co.in) on 15th Oct 2018 asking for KYC document. Again I sent all the documents to them. There is no acknowledgement for my email. so I called HDFC CC today 21 Oct 2018. They are again telling that they don't receive any documents [frustration].

What's do you guys suggest. Anybody has any better idea to get FAStag? Is it best to get in person from a NH toll plaza? I live less than 10km from Porur NH toll plaza Chennai. anybody know if we can get it directly there?? If possible I will cancel this and get directly.

Also, upon cancelling HDFC application refund will be processed only through DD or cheque and posted to your address directly. not through the same payment method used for payment. What the ******** [anger].

How does the government think people will get this?? Why can't they simplify this process?? Why such a hassle to get this simple card??

I got it from Equitas bank,
the whole process is extremely simple and online.
Kindly go through the website.
Thanks for your response. I will check that. However, as i have had a bitter experience already with 3 online bookings for FASTag, I am curious to know if getting it directly from a toll booth is any better.

Top Bottom