Fall of the Sedans?

Thread Starter #1
As of September the sales of Ertiga have climbed to 7000 per month, Duster to about 4000, and the Sunny has fallen to about 2000. The Etios has also fallen to about 2700, others are even worse. Verna does keep on holding. I think this tells a story.

Same with the premium ones being smothered by the XUV.

And I am not getting the Xylo, Quanto or the Innova into the equation yet.

What happens with the launch of Ecosport and the Chevvy Enjoy? In fact I feel we might even see a hit to the so far unbeatable Innova.

Last edited:
Not sure about others but for me, reasons to pick up a hatchback/other non-sedans over a sedan are as follows-
1. Better safety in case of being rear-ended.
2. Better utilization of space in given length.
3. Better headroom for rear passengers.
4. Feel of having a bigger car in given length.
5. Better rearward visibility and better ease in parking due to more visibility.

It's totally expected that Ecosport and Enjoy are gonna hurt sedans even more. Innova is not a sedan and is a completely different topic.

i am not sure about enjoy.

the initial impression about the enjoy were not so encouraging.

Uvs, i feel have become popular because.

the ability to carry more luggage.

better road presence in crowded traffic.

mostly UVs are diesel powered.

hatches are preferred for daily commute whereas Uvs are preferred for long distance commute.

sedans here have become redundant because people loving hatches travel light and might feel carrying dead weight at the back.

hatches are comparatively fun to drive as against a similar sedan.

Nowadays people are in a craze for compact SUVs. And these compact SUVs come in the price range of C segment sedans which in turn affect sedan sales. But after a short while the trend will change. It may then go for sporty hatchback models like chevy cruze hatchback.

Top Bottom