External GPS Navigation System For Car

Thread Starter #1
Hi All,
Planning to a long trip in december, will be driving close to 1400 kms. I would like to buy a GPS navigation device which I can fix on my dashboard and remove it after use. My budget is Rs 5K-8K and device screen size of around 5 inch. I am not able to find anything relevant online. Are these products outdated due to smartphones? I checked mapmyindia site, there too the option available are to install the full 2-din unit.

Please let me know if there are any options I should check.

Thanks

deville_56

Honoured Member
Hi All,
Planning to a long trip in december, will be driving close to 1400 kms. I would like to buy a GPS navigation device which I can fix on my dashboard and remove it after use. My budget is Rs 5K-8K and device screen size of around 5 inch. I am not able to find anything relevant online. Are these products outdated due to smartphones? I checked mapmyindia site, there too the option available are to install the full 2-din unit.

Please let me know if there are any options I should check.

Thanks
The whole concept of a standalone device has become obsolete by now. Garmin got some, but not sure whether still available. Smartphones are still better option as updated maps with live traffic updates available on Google Maps. Used to have a MapMyIndia small display unit on a colleagues car and felt generation old after being pampered with GMaps.

Nairrk

Honoured Member
Also, you may try NaviMaps from MapmyIndia which I have been using and found better than google maps (just my opinion only).
(I have downloaded it in my mobile phone as well as Android HU fitted to my car);

Link

Are these products outdated due to smartphones?
I use my old mobile phone exclusively as my navigator using NaviMAPS even though my Nexon has Android Auto with Google Maps built in on its infotainment. The advantage of offline NaviMAPS over online Google Maps is, it works even when there is no signal in the phone. NaviMAPS gets updated every 3 months. I too feel NaviMAPS is better than Google Maps.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #5
Thanks for the responses. I too have mobile so far, the only issue I had was to keep mobile on for such a long duration. Hence thought of checking if an external navigation system is still feasible. Will check the navimap though. I also have navmii map on my phone, had been using it few years back.

Top Bottom