Exploring East Coast From Pune

Thread Starter #1
Vacations and travelling are interrelated to each other. Once you are bitten by travel bug then it keeps itching every now and then. This time the answer to the question “Where to go?” came very soon because of famous saying by Dalai Lama “Go to someplace you have never been before
1.jpg

The school holidays are kind of chaos for some places hence this time thought of exploring less touristy place. Initial plan was to explore Madhya Pradesh and Udaipur which was chalked off due to limited days in our hand, yes there were just 10 days. Now the locations sorted according to category started revolving in my mind like Fort, Temples, Beaches, Culture etc. Took a pause at Beaches category. Yes, why not a beach holiday…. Goa!! Coastal Karnataka!! A typical enjoyment near beaches with lot of photos of roads, food and sunsets!! Sunsets!! Hey why not visit the beaches with Sunrise!!

I got the answer for my destination, yes it was East Coast. Had discussion along with family where I always get typical answer “Where ever you take us, we are ready?”. Immediately started with planning phase by making rough itinerary. What to include? What to see? Worth travelling there? Can this be done in 10 days? Am I mad?

After so much of to and fro, finally I decided to explore Vishakhapatnam, Puri, Chilka lake and Konark. Now the main thing was to accommodate all these in 10 days hence started to make travel plan. I took help of TripAdvisor to select “Must See Places” in these areas. I had checked with routes along with H V Kumar. The plan was to go via Hyderabad where the road was passing near front gate of Ramoji Filmcity. With kid along with us thought why not include it in this tight itinerary, so somehow fitted it in the list (this is second time we are visiting film city). The final crazy plan looked like below,

D1 – Pune to Vijaywada
D2 – Vijaywada to Vishakhapatnam
D3 – Vishakhapatnam sightsee
D4 – Vishakhapatnam – Borra – Vishakhapatnam
D5 – Vishakhapatnam to Puri
D6 – Puri – Satpada – Konark – Puri
D7 – Puri – Tanuku
D8 – Tanuku – Hyderabad
D9 – Hyderabad
D10 – Hyderabad - Pune

I started to prepare my car for the drive. I had recently changed battery hence was not worried about it. A quick check with oil levels, belt, tire, air check and general wear and tear assured me that car is ready for long drive. As usual I could not sleep properly on the day before D-day, the excitement kept me awake. The family too was excited for this trip. All were ready by 5:00am, we did a small prayer and started our car.

Day 1: Pune to Vijaywada

Early mornings are always best to start for long drives. There is no traffic on city roads which helps to touch highway quickly. The roads we took from Pune to Hyderabad was NH65 which is pretty straight forward.
The road section from Pune to Solapur is butter smooth two lane divided highway. One needs to watch out for speed humps near Indapur and Tembhurni. We reached Solpaur for our breakfast.

The road from Solapur to Karnataka border is real pain to drive. It’s single lane for 70%. There are lots of diversions, the road in some places itself is vanished. Heavy and dusty truck traffic throughout with little room for overtake. Lots of miscellaneous traffic along with many jaywalkers at Omerga. Post MH-KA border the roads are again 4 lane and amazing till Hyderabad. We reached at Hyderabad ORR around 2:30pm. So, it was just 4 hours more for reaching destination of the day.

Hyderabad ORR is one of the finest road to drive with speed limit as 100 Kmph (Pune desperately needs such infra).
1a.jpg

Within couple of minutes we bypassed entire Hyderabad city and were zooming on Suryapet – Vijaywada stretch. Saw Ramoji Film city entrance while passing by and assured that we will come back here while returning.

Hyderabad to Vijaywada section is a fantastic 4 lane road with some minor traffic. Look out for crossings near few villages en route. Vijaywada is filled with some miscellaneous traffic, we reached our destination for the day. Someone rightly said that one needs to drive more on first day, it was 850 Kms and 4 states in first day.

Day 2: Vijaywada to Vishakhapatnam

After a very good sleep we started towards Vishakhapatnam. The city of Vijaywada is filled with traffic, we took IRR to bypass Vijaywada, there was some truck traffic along with us. We left NH65 and joined NH16 towards Kolkatta.

Vijaywada to Rajahmundry was smooth with good 4 lane tarred roads. The only problem on road is that AP cops have placed barricades on highway to slow down which seems very dangerous. Some wrong siders also enter through same barricades. Rajahmundry has too much of two-wheeler traffic on highway (felt like driving between Karad – Kolhapur patch in morning hours)

We have crossed the mighty Godavari river which was running to meet Bay of Bengal. Rajahmundry to Vishakhapatnam seemed very longish drive to me. There was some road work near Tuni for almost 20 Kms, hence there were diversion were the cops have placed plastic blocks to make single lane road as two ways. There were lots of tractors and local village traffic throughout with occasional wrong siders. Average speed was 60-70 in this patch.

We entered in Vishakhapatnam at some 4:30pm. Mind it that Vishakhapatnam has some crazy traffic inside city. In addition to this there were barricades placed by cops inside city road as well for slowing down traffic. Lots of two-wheeler and signals throughout the city. With great patience we reached out hotel in Vizag.

The east side gets darker earlier than west. It was just 5:30pm and it started getting darker. We thought of visiting Kailashgiri in Vizag.

Kailashgiri

Kailashgiri is developed by VUDA. The main attraction here is huge statue of Shiva Parvathi on the hill. The entrance ticket is Rs.5 per head. To reach atop of hill one can drive their own car or can take rope way. We opted for ropeway. There is ample amount of parking place near Rope way base.

It was amazing experience to go by Rope way as you can have a good view of entire Vizag city dazzling in lights. Here we saw the first glimpse of east coast, but it was dark. Remember that Rope way closes at 8:00pm, they do announcement prior to it.

Once you reach at top you can opt for toy train ride which makes round to entire hill. The train has AC and Non-AC compartments. You need to sit on right side to see beach and city view while on left side you can have park view. There are few snacks and ice cream shops at top.

The Shiva Parvathi statue is very huge. If you wish to have your photos with this statue then there are few professional photographers available to do this job.
2.jpg

3.jpg

We have clicked the night view pic of Vizag city from Kailashgiri but it did not came clear. Hence for readers perspective I am attaching other photo from net. Credit to photographer “Rajarshi Mukherjee”

Night View of Vizag city along with east coastline from Kailashgiri.
3a.JPG

We had a sumptuous dinner at famous Kamath’s Restaurant and retired for the day

Day 3: Exploring Vizag

We woke up lazily on this day. After having a good breakfast at our hotel started for Vizag Zoo which is also known as “Indira Gandhi National Zoological Park”. There is ample amount of parking place at entrance. The Zoo itself is spread in approximate 620 Acres. This is a first zoo I came across where you can take your own car inside it. (Rs.500 per car including 4 people). One can opt for battery operated vehicle or can walk inside as well.

We opted for battery operated vehicle to enjoy the ride. The entire vehicle with seating capacity of 4 peoples cost us Rs.300. They start from entrance and drop you back at same place after showing entire zoo. I would recommend opting battery operated cars as they know every nook and corner of zoo and they seemed to be very polite as well. There is separate Nocturnal animal section inside zoo where you need to pay Rs.5 per head. The guide is free with every family, but you need to tip them Rs.10 /20 at last.

The day we visited Zoo was some auspicious day in Vizag named as “Nagula Chavithi” which means worshipping snake. Most of the families had come in Zoo to worship snakes. We could spot many of the families on roads where there were trees and greenery doing this sort of pooja.

Families celebrating “Nagula Chavithi”
3b.jpg

After coming out of Zoo we headed towards Rushikonda beach. We took famous Beach Road in Vizag to reach here. There is ample amount of parking space near beach, but the local autos and tempo travellers create mess inside the parking.

Rushikonda Beach
4.jpg

This is the first beach of East coast which I saw in my life. Just stood calmly within knee height waves for couple of minutes, felt relaxed. The beach is clean and little bit crowdy. This is safest beach for kids to play in water. There are few water sports available along with Hovercraft ride. We just enjoyed in beach and came back to our hotel after having a good lunch.

We had a small siesta and in evening we headed towards famous Ramakrishna beach to see other attractions. I would like to say the planning of beach road in Vizag is just amazing. Though there is traffic, but one can have fun driving on these roads. The intersections are well managed by roundabouts and parking is very well designed along road side.

INS Kurusura Museum

We parked our car near Kurusura Museum which is near RK Beach. INS Kurusura museum is also known as Submarine museum. Once you get your tickets then you need to stand in queue. They allow tourist in batches of 30 peoples at time. The staff will brief entire batch about the history and sections of Submarine. This is actual submarine which you can experience from inside.

5.jpg

Radio operators room
6.jpg

Sleeping section
7.jpg

Dinning section
8.jpg

Manual controls in submarine
9.jpg

Pathway inside cabins
10.jpg

TU 142 Aircraft Museum

This is another museum located opposite to Submarine Museum. It is actual bomber plane which you can explore from inside. Photographs are not allowed hence could not click any. There is a small museum prior to entering aircraft which showcases different parts of planes, engines and rescue mechanism. There is free audio guide for everyone inside this museum.

After exploring the museum, you can enter aircraft and see different sections within it. When you come out there is 3D and Sci-Fi games section available at the exit. One can pay and enjoy the games.

Yours truly at Vizag.
11.jpg

A war memorial near Aircraft Museum
12.jpg

When I came back to my car, I saw that my front number plate was missing. I remembered, few months back one of its screw was loose, I tightened it. I guessed it must have fallen somewhere on highway between Vijaywada and Vizag. It was almost 9:00pm that time, I enquired with some autowallahs about number plate maker but could not find anyone nearby. Driven straight to hotel, asked hotel staff to help me by taking printout of my number in big font. Taken cellophane tape and pasted that printout as front number plate. Lesson learnt, next time before commencing long drives along with oils and tires need to check number plate screws as well.

Day 4: Vizag – Borra Caves – Vizag

Started a bit early in morning towards Borra caves. The BRTS road is amazing to drive. That straight road then passes through multiple villages making it little bit messy. Once you come out of Vishakhapatnam city then its breeze to drive towards Araku Valley. The road is single lane but good in condition. You can maintain average of 90 Kmph on this, just need to keep an eye on bikers and roaming cattle’s. Lot of tempo travellers on this route doing some crazy overtakes.

The road to Borra Caves passes through ghat section. There are few sharp hairpin bends on the route. Few sections of the road are rough, but rest of the road is good to drive. There is ample parking space beside road near entrance gate of Borra Caves. You can walk for approximate 500meters from parking to ticket counter, on the way you will come across many small shops selling famous “Bamboo Chicken”. In addition to this you will also find tender coconuts, Araku coffee sellers etc in this zone.

13.jpg

Food items inside caves are strictly prohibited. You need to take extra ticket for mobile camera as well. When you enter inside you will see the view of Gosthani river. Here you can hire a guide if you want at Rs.150

Gosthani River.
14.jpg

Exploring Borra caves takes almost an hour and half. There are two levels inside caves. One can easily walk inside as they have designed proper pathways and railings with ample amount of colourful light. There is old Shiva temple inside which has some 20 steep steps, if you are tight on schedule or accompanied with old ones then you can skip it.

The cave is huge inside with cool atmosphere. You can see amazing rock formation created naturally with the water of Gosthani river. The guide will show you few structures resembling living beings inside caves.

Way to enter inside Borra cave
15.jpg

The story of discovering Borra Caves says that, one grazing cattle has fallen from this hole inside. The shepherd of that cattle found this cave. Borra means hole, hence the name “Borra Caves”
16.jpg

East Coast railway runs over this section.
17.jpg

Few pics of rock formation inside caves
18.jpg

19.jpg

20.jpg

21.jpg

After coming out of cave we had fresh tender coconut water. On the way towards car clicked the tribal preparation of Bamboo chicken. We are veggies hence don’t know how it tastes.

Bamboo chicken
22.jpg

We have good lunch at Haritha Restaurant which is located next to entrance of Borra caves. They serve good veg thalis at Rs.100. After making our tummies full we drove straight back to our hotel in Vizag.

In evening I explored nearby places to get number plate. I found one shop, but he told it will take 2 hours for making the plate, I thought for a while and asked him to apply sticker for time being. He agreed to it and pasted while sticker with black numbers on it as my front number plate. The job was done in 10mins for Rs.150.

Before bidding goodbye to Vizag, we once again visited Palm beach and Ramakrishna Beach. There were few stalls near beach which were selling some “bhel” like thing named as “Muri Mixture”. The taste was different than regular bhel.

Muri Mixture
23a.jpg

Ramakrishna beach has some nice parks and seating benches facing sea. We sat there for couple of hours enjoying cool breeze. Many local peoples along with their families normally come to this place for relaxation. Few people were doing evening walks on the footpath nearby.

Ramakrishna Beach
23.jpg

We have dinner near RK Beach and came back to our hotel.

Day 5: Vishakhapatnam – Puri

Started a little earlier from hotel. Took beach road of Vizag to reach NH16. The road was amazing till Bheemli Beach, later it passed through some village and finally merged into NH16. This entire highway is fantastic to drive till Bhubaneshwar. Just need to lower the speeds near few crossings and bridges. There is cattle menace in entire stretch. The layer between roads and bridge are not smooth, entire car wildly shakes when passing over it. Be alert as during my drive there were lots of speed camera throughout this patch on both the sides.

We have taken turn off at Khudra for Puri. I guess this was wrong decision by me as the road was messy and has huge speed humps. In addition to this the road passed through some villages and markets adding miscellaneous slow-moving traffic ahead of me. Instead of turning off at Khudra one can go till Bhubaneshwar and take NH316 towards Puri. While coming back I did same, the road is fantastic.

Once in Puri you will find typical city traffic with more cyclist. The roads sometimes pass through narrow lanes. Few of these roads have jumbo speed humps. There is huge cattle menace on roads inside Puri as well.

Cattle Menace on NH16
24.jpg

One more state was touched by my car. Odisha!!
24a.jpg

Way to Bhubaneshwar
25.jpg

Welcome signage of Puri
26.jpg

27.jpg

We checked into our hotel and relaxed for some time. In evening we decided to have darshan of Shri. Jagannath. Instead of taking my car we took battery operated auto. Note that the battery-operated vehicles and cycle rickshaws drop you near to temple, other vehicles are not allowed for almost 500m zone near temple (somehow, I could see two wheelers near temple)

We were lucky enough to see the flag hosting ceremony of Jagannath temple. The priest climbs at the top without any support to change flag. This ritual is happening from past decades. It is assumed that if flag is not changed then it will be dooms day.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #2
Jagannath Temple

The temple is strictly allowing only Hindus. You are not allowed to carry any leather items, mobile, car keys inside temple. You can keep your belonging in counters which are available near entrance for nominal amount There are strict security checks while entering temple. Lots of Pandas will start running behind you for offering Poojas and quick darshan, just ignore them politely.

There are separate security check queues for Ladies, Gents and Senior Citizens guarded by railings, but "who cares", everyone was joining the shortest one. Once security check happens then you can enter main premises of Jagannath Temple. Inside again you will see three queues one beside another, you can join anyone of them. The security holds the queue till inner sanctum gets clear or when some pooja is happening. UNTIL HERE EVERYTHING IS FINE AND MANAGEABLE.

Once security releases these three queues then you will find rushing, pushing, pinching etc. Mumbai local train crowd is much disciplined i can say. Somehow you need to apply all your energy to reach inner sanctum where security person will knock on your head with some light stick or magazine to move ahead.

By taking all these hopping, beating, saving your kids, ladies from crowd you will see a glimpse of lord. The inner sanctum where lord is present has very less or no lights, the area is filled with "dhoop" smoke. You can see whatever you can see in that 10-15 seconds and move out. Yes, Finally, we have done darshan.

There are so many other temples in the premises of Jagannath Temple with dedicated Pandas hovering beside it. I feel there is no need of wasting more time inside once you have taken darshan of main deity (Lord Jagannath).

There is prasad counter on right side just when you exit inner sanctum. The range is from Rs.221 to some thousand. We took dry prasad at Rs.221, they make proper bill and handover you the prasad.

My suggestion to temple management:
When there is a nice single queue at security check then why there is design for three queues to enter sanctum. Secondly, instead of releasing all the peoples at one time inside why don't you keep the single queue moving. This will be easier for everyone to have peaceful darshan of Lord Jagannath.

As photos are not allowed inside hence took one picture from outside,
28.jpg

Famous “Khajja” of Puri
29.jpg

From Jagannath temple we headed to Swargadwar beach. One can opt for cycle rickshaw as well towards beach. We started walking, the road passes through market area and is very congested. We spotted few shops selling Bengali Sweets. Tasted few sweets, they were delicious!!

Bengali Sweets
30.jpg

East side of India gets darker earlier hence by the time we reached beach it was just 5:45pm but felt like 8:00pm.

Swargadwar Beach.

The beach has some aggressive waves reaching shores. The shore line is dotted with shops selling all sorts of knick knacks. It felt like a small open mall near beach.

Shops on beach
31.jpg

Conch of different shapes and sizes
32.jpg

Shops selling some idols and dolls
34.jpg

There are lot of eateries available on beach. We tasted paani puri and some bhel like mixture known as “Jhaal Muri”, it has some unique taste as it is made in mustard oil.

The famous Jhaal Muri mixture
33.jpg

Day 6: Puri – Satpada – Konark – Puri

This day was explicitly planned for visiting Chilka lake and Konark Sun temples. After sumptuous breakfast we started our journey towards Satapada to explore Chilka lake.

Chilka lake is largest coastal brackish water lagoon in India. The lake is ground for migratory birds and one can spot Irrawaddy dolphins here. There is boating facility available at this lake for tourist. The government boating facility is available only in Yatriniwas near lake. There are few private boat operators as well.

The road from Puri to Satpada is single lane road passing through country side. The views and road both are amazing. Just one or two humps near some village on entire section. Lots of cattle on this road. The road passes through one market which is bit congested and narrow. As you come near Satpada you will see few boards of private boat operators who will wave at you as well. Just ignore them and keep driving till the road ends near OTDC Yatriniwas .
35.jpg

Lovely roads towards Satpada
35a.jpg

There is ample parking space available near lake where you need to pay Rs.10 for parking. Paid washroom facility is available near parking. There is a board (forgot to click) which shows two boat trips in Chilka. The one is Rs.800 per boat for Dolphin watch which takes one and half hour while other is Rs.3000 for 4 hours which include Dolphin watch, Sea mouth, Kaljai temple and few islands in lake.

We were in plan to opt for Rs.800 ride to see Dolphin. When we were approaching ticket counter we met one more family who was also interested in just Dolphin watch and sharing of boat. We rented a complete boat for Rs.800. The life jackets cost was Rs.30 per head, we were 6 peoples hence bargained a little bit and got six jackets in Rs.100. Overall a good deal of Rs.450 per family.

Tourist boats lined up near Satpada
35b.jpg

Our boating started in Chilka lake. The boat operator took us to the area where we can see Dolphins. Few other boats were also present there, they stop the engine of the boat for Dolphins to come near it. Chilka lake is having some good number of Dolphins, we sighted almost 12-15 dolphins in our entire boating. Also saw some seagulls and migratory birds on the lake.

Chilka lake
36.jpg

Island in Chilka Lake
37.jpg

Boat in Chilka lake
38.jpg

By the time we came out of lake it was almost 12:30pm. Before starting the journey to Konark we decided to have lunch there itself. At Satpada boating point there is no decent restaurant. We somehow found one less crowdy hotel where we ordered Fried rice. The eateries present there are famous for Non-veg and seafood items. There was small menu for veggies.

The fried rice they prepared was served in shape of fish.
38a.jpg

We started from Satpada towards Konark. One need to come all the way back to Puri near start of NH316. From here I somehow took a bit longer route for Konark. Instead of marine line road I took Pipli route.

The road from Puri to Pipili is good four lane highway. You can do triple digits here with ease. Once you turn off from Pipli towards Konark then the road become two lanes with some crazy village traffic till Konark. The road is fine with some occasional speed breakers, but local traffic will make it impossible to gain speed. Lots of tourist buses plying to Konark in this patch. Be careful with some crazy overtakes throughout.

Fantastic countryside road to Konark
39.jpg

40.jpg

Signage towards Konark
41.jpg

With couple of minutes we reached the famous Sun Temples of Konark
42.jpg

First glimpse of Sun Temple can be seen from the road itself. The parking is little away (approximate 500 to 700 meters from Sun temple). The parking is big on uneven ground (forgot the charges). One need to walk towards Sun temple through the lane where there are shops on either side selling all sorts of knick knacks.

Adult ticket is Rs.40 while kids below 12 years are free. There is washroom facility near ticket counter. You can opt for guide here who will charge a standard rate of Rs.250 for one hour of exploration.

The temple campus is huge and well maintained with some greenery around. The guide will explain you about temple formation, history and about the carvings on it. There are few professional photographers inside if someone wants to click their pics, they charge you as per the copies you need. They even take pics with your mobile phone at some good angles for which they charge Rs.10 per picture.

Sun Temple of Konark
43.jpg

Nata Mandir
44.jpg

Carvings on the wall of temple
45.jpg

The Simha idol
46.jpg

Stone wheels of the temple
47.jpg

Some more carvings on the wall of temple
48.jpg

While coming out you can have fresh tender coconut water. Also, you can purchase some cashew nuts. We were completed with today’s plan hence drove straight to our hotel. By the time we reached hotel it was dark outside.

Day 7: Puri – Tanuku

With blessings of Shri.Jagannath we started our return journey on this day. The plan was to reach till Tanuku and take night halt. We zoomed on NH16 towards Tanuku, reached our hotel by evening 7:00pm. There were many speed cams in entire AP, almost one at every 10Kms that day. I was caught at the first instance for making 90Kmph on 80Kmph speed limit road. They charged me Rs.445. Later I was a bit alert all the way ahead till Tanuku!!

Herds on highway
49.jpg

Day 8: Tanuku – Hyderabad

Started in relax way from Tanuku towards Hyderabad. Got into Vijaywada traffic again but somehow reached IRR and bypassed whole town. Left NH16 and joined NH65 again. Then it was smooth sailing till Hyderabad.

50.jpg

This was the second visit for me to Hyderabad in last 2 years. The traffic has increased three folds inside Hyderabad city during this period. In evening met one of my colleague there who recently shifted to Hyderabad from Pune. Had a good evening chit chatting with his family. Ended the day having amazing Biryani and Qubaani Ka Meetha at Paradise.

Day 9: Hyderabad – Ramoji – Hyderabad

After having good breakfast, we started towards Ramoji Film City. Took ORR both the ways towards Filmcity.

Ramoji Film city entrance
51.jpg

The film city is wonderful place to visit with family. This was my second visit there. They have added a new attraction of “Bahubali Sets” in tour. Few are the clicks below from sets,

Mahishmati Kingdom
52.jpg

53.jpg

54.jpg

There was some construction going for building this ship for some shooting.
55.jpg

Ramoji Film city looks amazing at night
56.jpg

57.jpg

After exploring film city for entire day we came back and crashed into beds.

Day 10: Hyderabad – Pune

This was the last drive day of our trip. Started a return journey in relaxed way. After so many days saw the signage of hometown…. PUNE !!
58.jpg

In couple of hours we crossed Telangana and entered Karnataka
59.jpg

Wifey clicked below image near Omerga, Maharashtra
60.jpg

At last we reached our home safely in evening. That was the end of this long crazy trip. We have completed one more item from our bucket list. Parked the car in parking and we all said a big thanks to it.

In my entire East Coast tour one thing I missed is to capture rising Sun from sea.

Pic of my car near Chilka
61.jpg

After this journey I started believing in below thought,

“Travel makes one modest. You see what a tiny place you occupy in the world”

Thanks to the readers of this travelogue [:)]

Last edited:
Excellent travalogue and nice write up with very nice pics. Thanks for sharing. Plz tell us about total km run, milage etc. [cheers]

Thread Starter #6
Excellent travalogue and nice write up with very nice pics. Thanks for sharing. Plz tell us about total km run, milage etc. [cheers]
Thanks for reading the travelogue. I have done approximate 4200Kms in those 10 days. Regarding mileage neither Hyundai Grand i10 shows it nor i calculate it [:D]

Boy, you have started giving me ideas for my next trip. I am hooked by the "sunrise at the beach" thing, never been to East coast other than Chennai/Pondicherry.

Thread Starter #8
Boy, you have started giving me ideas for my next trip. I am hooked by the "sunrise at the beach" thing, never been to East coast other than Chennai/Pondicherry.
Go ahead and visit it. I somehow missed taking photos of Sunrise though [lol]

Top Bottom