Experience of Purchase of First Car and then Second (Fiat Punto)

Thread Starter #1
Hi TAI I have just purchased my second car. But you cant forget your first car experience. Because mostly during first time you are having less experience and You Need Four wheeler which lookslike a Car and settles within your budget. Features, Service longivity etc do nt matter you want to have CAR thats all. When I purchased my first car it all applied on me havind 10k in your pocket wanted to have a vehicle which looks like car thats all and you feel top of the world. Here the story will start from Fisrt car to purchase of second Car. It goes this way

Hi friends on 8th Feb 2012 I owned a car which runs on Diesel and color in White and the car brand is--before that I will start story in flashback you will have to bear it. I am not an automobile freak and believed that any machine are meant to serve the purpose and in the era of competition no car maker can afford to make engine of 1950 technology so why so fuss and discussions. I have a habit when I have to purchase Clothes I simply go to market and have it, same applies to all electronics and white goods at my home and all are working fine. This theory I apply when I went to market to have a car. It was 26th Oct 2006 ( 3 days before my wife Bday) when I decided to have my first car visited Maruti and TATA showroom. Maruti was full of customers and TATA showroom was cool and calm. In Maruti I asked for Maruti-800 got reply that waiting is long, what next Hmmmm TATA .

I went to TATA and Indica Diesel was in waiting asked for Tatkal type car then SE offered me white XETA GLG model . He with alacrity started explaining features of the car and I was simply not interested asked SE how much discount can he offer as this xeta was last of the lot of 1400cc he went for huge discount and offered me 25k that time. Deal finalized he promised me to deliver car once he gets payment. Next day I went to TATA Motor Finance they agreed to approve loan in 3 days as I was that Time employee of TATA . Got DD in 4 days and car was delivered on 5th Nov 2006. White Indica Xeta with Power Steering and Window with Defogger on Rear windscreen and Fog lite in front. SE handed over Documents to me and Manager complemented me by saying that – Sir I have in my career never seen such simple and quick decision making customer, now you really owned good car and it will serve you they way you care for her. He handed over keys to me and a beautiful sales Girl gave me a Coconut and Scent Stick to lit , all possible customs took place , then I looked at Car I felt that Its smiling on me ( Don’t know whether this mysterious smile was for my quick decision or something else ) but I was satisfied.

I was having Keys of car in my hand everyone from TATA showroom was waiting for me to get into car and start engine, but it did not happen. I was only one with my car not even my colleagues or friend and TATA people were waiting me to take my car out. Manager came forward and asked Sir any problem, I replied Yes – I do nt know driving and neither I have DL for LMV. After little discussion it was decided that Car will be at Dealer premises and I will take it tomorrow. For next 4 days I was busy with CEO market Visit and on 10th Nov I parked my Bike at Dealer Parking at 9.30 Night and took key from Guard and started my First Car . At that time road was empty I just pressed the clutch and rev the engine it started moving slowly. I drove at 9.45 PM on 10th Nov 2006 started gaining confidence while in car. The speed was 20 Kmph and finally reached to Railway crossing the gate was closed. After waiting for 45 odd minutes for Malgaadi crossing gate opened , people started Trucks , Buses, cars , Bikes and Autos the sound of machines were coming in cabin. In that Cold I was sweating, I also started my car but since it was new machine I could nt get whether the engine is on or off, again cranked the engine to get sure that car is on, but it was nt moving ahead few horns from back , few bikes abusive language were enough for me to lost my recently gained ( 1 hours back) confidence in cabin. I revved the engine at high and there was a noise and It was accident. Lots of noises, un- parliamentry language in atmosphere all I could see that people were coming towards me I just prayed and suddenly GOD came in Khakhi. He took me to police station since My landlord was lawyer things got settled.

The new xeta went to workshop on 12th Nov 2006. When she came out from workshop 25th Nov 2012 her smile was different from her first smile may be this time she could see a driver in me. Now I was LMV driver with real confidence. The guide for me was my landlord who taught me driving in 4 days in very simple manner- First day he took me in field and let practiced clutch break and gear fundas. Second day I tried on my own for clutch gear and accelerator and on third day he taught me how to drive on slop in upward direction with coordination of clutch and break. For next 6 days I drove his car on road in morning. I took car back from workshop on my own and took the car to same place where I met an accident.

Again gate was closed in day time and 2 train crossed in 35 minutes waiting, again horns and same noises but my car simply crossed the gate ( My Coach advises me 2 things u c drive on slop with engine being stopped and on road be careful and never pay attention to back horn give them side only when your car is in safe position on road and foremost never drive in haste unless you have an urgent appointment with GOD). Now driver in me was a driver and I never tried to be a car racer. When I sold my car whole story flashed within a second in my mind. TATA xeta never gave me any problem (my father says that If you take care of machine it will take care of urs) and I always took care of My car ( Nt in terms of accessories but in timely service and 60-70 kmph speed). But one day when I was returning from meeting on 10th Oct 2011 it was around 9.30 pm on highway when suddenly car engine stopped and after lots of telephones my xeta reached at home at 3 AM.

It was most frustrating day for me as meeting was full of tension and then this happened with car. Next date service center guys took my car and called me that it was timing belt and they have changed it. It was fault of TASS as manual suggest that at 80K it should get changed. But by then I changed up my mind to switch to diesel version. Now current story starts and lets be out of flashback. I started searching nets and asking colleagues for suggestion – Swift Swift i20 Swift TATA Swift Swift TATA TATA i20 i20 i20 Swift Ritz Figo i20 Beat Swift i20 Swift Beat i20 Ritz TATA i20 TATA Figo i20 TATA i20 Swift TATA TATA PUNTO Swift Punto i20 ) wait wait wait Punto !! which car is this name is very unique Punto. Yes Punto just go for it . I again started searching on net for punto and TAI was there which helped me a lot on this front. Again few neighbor came up with suggestions Go for Swift , Punto has no resale value wait wait dear I am going to have car for me and not for resale.

Few rookees said -Arre Bhai, Punto maintenance is very high. Enquired for same and found out not to be true. If looks could kill then It has to be Punto nothing else this is what I decided. Now the time was to see punto in flesh. Started visiting TATA dealers. Again a myth that TATA dealers are more interested in selling TATA cars and on opposite when I visited TATA showroom at reception the Lady asked my interest when I replied its Either Indica or Fiat she called up both SE and now choice was mine. I was never been forced by them to go for TATA and nt for Fiat. Infact now TATA Dealers sales team has separate Fiat Sales people. They offered me TD I just drove and finalized.. Again 2006 was revisiting , the difference was town was different from 2006. I personally wrote a mail to Mr Rajeev Kapoor ,got prompt reply on Sunday from him, impressed,finalized Emotion 75 BHP diesel. This time I paid attention to suggestion that wait for new facelift Model 2012. Waited till 15th Jan 2012 for offers on Fiat punto but got no news on this front.

Now it was my turn for negotiation. Search started in Delhi for Emotion 2011 version in BNW. Finally got confirmation from different dealer that he has one but SE suggested that I should go for New version. Nope man I do nt generally follow the crowd and that’s why Swift was never my choice and also I am nt into business of car trading ( Kharedo Becho type people) I own car for myself. Now I started my hidden agenda the SE told me that this 2011 model is on OCT and no one interested in this car if you speak to Manager (Owner to be precise) he may offer you hefty discount. Negotiation started by showing that I have to purchase car and Punto is also in my wish list but not 2011 model. Dealer first tried to de-sale 2012 model by showing me rate difference ( Yes Mr dealer now you are trapped as per my plan) again as usual I was nt interested in 2011 model , but after 2 cups of coffee I agreed to consider 2011 model with heavy heart ( Achha Aap keh rehe hai to dekhte hain) . He offered me discount and finally deal was closed, and it has been more than 3 days My Punto clocked 497 kms. Experience of this Car I will share later on. Till then drive safely.

Last edited by a moderator:

350Z

Core Team
Re: Experience of Purchase of First Car and then Second

Awesome write up and clearly describes a typical car buyer’s experience.

I am not an automobile freak and believed that any machine are meant to serve the purpose and in the era of competition no car maker can afford to make engine of 1950 technology so why so fuss and discussions. I have a habit when I have to purchase Clothes I simply go to market and have it, same applies to all electronics and white goods at my home and all are working fine.
Correct. In this era, no product is best and no product is worst. The bottom-line is all about getting most value for the money.

I was having Keys of car in my hand everyone from TATA showroom was waiting for me to get into car and start engine, but it did not happen. I was only one with my car not even my colleagues or friend and TATA people were waiting me to take my car out. Manager came forward and asked Sir any problem, I replied Yes – I do nt know driving and neither I have DL for LMV. After little discussion it was decided that Car will be at Dealer premises and I will take it tomorrow.
You could have insisted for a drop facility which usually the dealerships do in such situations.

Again a myth that TATA dealers are more interested in selling TATA cars and on opposite when I visited TATA showroom at reception the Lady asked my interest when I replied its Either Indica or Fiat she called up both SE and now choice was mine. I was never been forced by them to go for TATA and nt for Fiat. Infact now TATA Dealers sales team has separate Fiat Sales people.
Here the dealership had separate sales team for both the brands (which is good) but in my experience sales representatives were same. Hence the bias maybe?

He offered me discount and finally deal was closed, and it has been more than 3 days My Punto clocked 497 kms. Experience of this Car I will share later on.
Heartiest congrats. Most of the Fiat owners in our forum are happy with their decision. Hope you are one of them too. Now keenly looking forward to the next part. [thumbswink]

Drive Safe,
350Z

I was having Keys of car in my hand everyone from TATA showroom was waiting for me to get into car and start engine, but it did not happen. I was only one with my car not even my colleagues or friend and TATA people were waiting me to take my car out. Manager came forward and asked Sir any problem, I replied Yes – I do nt know driving and neither I have DL for LMV.
Lots of grammatical/syntactical errors and spelling mistakes apart (and all this even after the edit by Vibhor!), that's the sweetest, most hilarious[lol], most honest and most straight from the heart review I have ever read. Congrats carlotus, you have a new fan! Please write more ! And here's one reputation point to you for this post[clap] !

Last edited:
Lots of grammatical/syntactical errors and spelling mistakes apart (and all this even after the edit by Vibhor!), that's the sweetest, most hilarious[lol], most honest and most straight from the heart review I have ever read. Congrats carlotus, you have a new fan! Please write more ! And here's one reputation point to you for this post[clap] !
Totally agree with Sam here! It was most straight from heart account of your experience with Indica. I am just wondering how did you decide to buy a car when you weren't sure to drive? good courage!![:)]

Thread Starter #10
If Looks Could Kill - Punto

Hi TAI friends. First I owe thank to you all for helping me to decide new car Punto, esp thank to RAJ as his thread created my interest towrads Punto. I have already shared my experience of First car
Link- (http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/forums/ownership-reviews/6371-experience-purchase-first-car-then-second-fiat-punto.html?highlight=Experience-+Purchase+of+First+car[/URL].

That time @2006 I was not having knowledge of CAR, for me Car was just a machine which runs on 4 wheel, very simple and staright- If not Maruti then TATA. Time groomed me a lot and I started looking out for the car which helps me to save fuel, although Xeta was still giving 14-16 KMPL, but this time it was decided that it has to be a diesel car.

Search Started
First Step was asking near dear and neighbours for suggestion- Swift and Indica Vista was 2 cars to be decided on. Few of them suggested Ritz and few Polo. But as thread title suggesting Look was the prime concern for me. Here I will quote again that In this era of high competition no car make can offord to use 1950s technology. So for me all car are technologically are on same platform.

Before Going to Showroom

Ritz-I drove Ritz Diesel of my collegue ( Only 3500 Kms old). Sitting was good feels like specious car from inside and also interior looks strong. I Started engine Reved but alas Diesel engine noise was much inside the cabin further looked out for RPM meter it was somewhere else, which I used to think as Clock earlier. It was okish drive.

Swift- Ride was bit better ( Only 11000 kms old). But look was pretty common every 3-4 car on road out of 10 its Swift. Boot space was also nt impressive. Pickup was as good as Ritz.

Indica Vista- Same old Dashboard with niggling and Sppedmeter is on center. This is bit awakward for me. Initial Pickup was good and GC was not an issue. But since I drove Indica for last 5 years so it was decided this time It will nt be Indica ( I got Fedup with people on road who think that White Indica must be a Taxi and ask for lift).

Since these were the cars which are in my vicinity so I could take a ride of it. Now the time was to visit showroom for TD .

Showroom Visit

1. Maruti-Suzuki Showroom- At 10 AM I reached at showroom. At counter a lady asked me for purpose and finally she took me to a Sales Guy. SE was very polite to communicate me that Swift is the best ever car till date in India in segment and to own this Best you have to wait for min 4 months. Opps no way man If I need a car and I am spending money I need it right now. He replied with smile that It will nt be possible. Further I asked SE- why he thinks that swift is BEST car available. He again Smiled and said its nt me but the numbers speaks. I asked which Engine technology in Diesel Maruti uses, he replied its FIAT. I said to the confident and politely arrogant SE that people purchasing Swift nt becoz of the Dashboard and Interiors or Seat (Which is possibly fitted and provided by Maruti ) rather its engine and Service. So for me there was no point for further discussion on swift.

2. Polo- Very neat and clean feeling when I entered in WV showroom. The concern SE came to me and asked for the requirement and after small talk he took me to a white POLO base version. It was pretty good looking car and interiors were also very impressive. The Boot space was really big for the hatchback. He offered me for TD , it was okay till I switched the engine and in first and second try it did nt start, I looked at SE he was felling embarrassed ( Pl mark this line as further this will be again referred). Bonnet opened and after few minutes the show room manager came and arranged another Car for TD. The ride was okay and with 4th gear speed reached to 60 kmph. Suspension and inside cabin feel was very comfortable. After 5 kms drive I was back to showroom. As my budget allowed me to settle with its base version so took quotation for the same and zeroed on POLO. I again looked at White POLO and I fell in love and got excited that Wow its my Car in real sense (While having first car I was not in sense that Time I needed a machine with 4 wheels and looks as a car and it was Xeta).After coming from POLO show-room I called up wife to inform the same that this time its POLO White.

3. Honda- The SE came and when I asked for Hatchback Diesel , within few minutes I was out of Honda Show-room. Although he tried his best to educate me that Hoe petrol engine needs low maintenance and its longevity but all fall in deaf ear. I was also laughing at me for my sheer ignorance.

4. TATA- Adjacent to Honda it was TATA show-room. Now a days you can locate TATA show-room from satellite view also ( NANO stk are visible from the moon also) . Reached at entry Gate the Guard was busy with some other personal work. I just guided myself inside showroom. Lots of noises after few minutes of standing and staring position a girl came and asked for the visit purpose. Within few minutes both SE Indica and Fiat were with me. I was leat interested in Indica as I drove Indica for more than 5 years. So Punto was the choice. I asked for TD for Punto Diesel. The SE told me politely to wait for some time. After half hour he did nt turn up then I went outside to pass the time. After some time SE came and said that I can nt have TD today as the TD Car has met with an accident. So better come any other day and also asked for my phone number so that he can arrange TD for me ( I am sorry no offence to anyone but here comes the Difference POLO people arranged another vehicle for TD and that time POLO SE was embarrassed and here In TATA all been communicated with bland face).

5. How Punto was finalised
In between, since POLO was finalized I already started loan process for POLO. While going for Bank for process I got call from Fiat Guy that he has 90 Hp Punto for TD. Since Bank was then crowded I asked Fiat SE to come with his Punto. Within half hour I got call from him for the location , I reached to destined place. It was White Punto was looking stunning. I started engine first gear short .. second gear okay..disappointed and within fraction of second the thought emanated from mind – Log sahi kehte hain ye bekaar gaadi hai ( People are right when they say that its not worth to own this car ) looked at SE disdainfully and pressed the clutch for third gear, to my surprise the Punto was clearing all last 2 gear pick up backlog. I pressed the clutch and engine response was impressive. The Cabin was calm and I could hardly feel that engine is on and revving high, whereas POLO and Ritz one can hear engine noise at speed. The SE asked me to take it to 100+ but since I never use to drive beyond 80-90, so came back within 20 minutes of drive. The I got call from Sale guy from Bank to furnish the required Document for POLO, which I asked him to hold for few days. Same day I visited TATA show-room and see Punto In flesh. It was White and If Looks could Kill- Its Punto boss no one else.. Cont.

Last edited:

350Z

Core Team
Hello Carlotus, I have merged the threads. Please continue buying and ownership experiences in a single thread itself.

Drive Safe,
350Z

Thread Starter #12
Hi tai now punto clocked 2450 kms, the drive has been pleasant till date. There was a problem in steering when ever i take sharp turn to righ, some hissssss noise can b heard. Got it checked at workshop , they changed some parts of power steering now steering feels more light. Pl guude me how pic can be uploaded.

Congratulations for the Punto.
When I bought Punot from Balaji Motors. They had separate showrooms for Tata and FIAT.
They still have a seprate showroom for FAIT they are the only few in india which has a seprate showroom for FIAT ...

But guys trust me till its with TATA its not going to work

Top Bottom