Exhaustive Guide: Car Detailing Basics

Got the Turtle wax Seal n Shine today. Very much excited to try it out. Will post my experiences here. It is the old formula. Not the updated one. Though the dealer claims that he will get the updated product by this month end, I am not sure about it. So ordered it anyway.

3.jpg

Hi all
Kindly help
I own a Tata Nexon in red color and want to maintain it. I purchased some of the items for maintaining my car. I have already used some of them but in haphazard manner due to lack of knowledge. I m annoyed with the swirl marks.i want to get rid of them. I have below items in my stock.
1. C845
2 Meguiars Ultimate compound and Polish
3 Meguiars quick spray wax
4. Turtle Wax ,improved version
4.Sonax BSD
5 Meguiars yellow wax
6 3m paste wax
7.Waxpol showroom polish,for alloy
8 Amway Silicon Glaze
9 3M,Gyeon Bathe+,Formula1,Armorall car shampoo
10.ONR green and blue version
11Carpro waterless wash
12 Proklear raw extreme
In future I m planning to buy a dual action polisher by Rupes,DLX kit.
Kindly help me in
1.arranging them in a order for detailing my car and removing/minimizing swirl mark.
2.Rupes DLX kit contain zephyr gloss coarse,gloss medium, gloss fine and gloss ultra fine. I want to know from which should i start with to remove swirl
3. Meguiars UC and UP, when and where should I use them
4. Use of C845.
Kindly tell me name of any product I am missing for detailing. Tell me name,uses and position of use also.
@CRACING @Dr MUDHAN

It is not on the number of products you use, how you use it, check this thread itself, Doctor sir has posted many methods of taking care of the rides.
Yes I came to know after using them randomly. I was looking for suggestions regarding sequence of the products I.e which should be used first and thereafter. I want to differentiate the product I.e which is sealant and which is Glaze or wax. I have uploaded the list if something is missing,let me know about it

You have so many products in your stock for one car? In my opinion all these products are not necessary to maintain a car.!
By the way, how old is your car?
I purchased it in 2018. Regarding products, I came to know after going through the post of Dr Mudhan that I don't need all of them.. I need help in arranging them in order of use since I m not getting desirable result from them. One more thing, I want to get rid of swirl marks that's why I have ordered for dual action polisher as suggested by @CRACING .

Hi all
Kindly help
I own a Tata Nexon in red color and want to maintain it. I purchased some of the items for maintaining my car. I have already used some of them but in haphazard manner due to lack of knowledge. I m annoyed with the swirl marks.i want to get rid of them. I have below items in my stock.
1. C845
2 Meguiars Ultimate compound and Polish
3 Meguiars quick spray wax
4. Turtle Wax ,improved version
4.Sonax BSD
5 Meguiars yellow wax
6 3m paste wax
7.Waxpol showroom polish,for alloy
8 Amway Silicon Glaze
9 3M,Gyeon Bathe+,Formula1,Armorall car shampoo
10.ONR green and blue version
11Carpro waterless wash
12 Proklear raw extreme
In future I m planning to buy a dual action polisher by Rupes,DLX kit.
Kindly help me in
1.arranging them in a order for detailing my car and removing/minimizing swirl mark.
2.Rupes DLX kit contain zephyr gloss coarse,gloss medium, gloss fine and gloss ultra fine. I want to know from which should i start with to remove swirl
3. Meguiars UC and UP, when and where should I use them
4. Use of C845.
Kindly tell me name of any product I am missing for detailing. Tell me name,uses and position of use also.
@CRACING @Dr MUDHAN
Fantastic collection of products ..your car is relatively newer ..please also share how you store your car and the usage patterns and current maintenance you are doing so that we can suggest what you could do for upkeep of your ride !

Fantastic collection of products ..your car is relatively newer ..please also share how you store your car and the usage patterns and current maintenance you are doing so that we can suggest what you could do for upkeep of your ride !
Thanks for the compliments. I store my ride in garage specifically made for it. On weekdays approx 100 km running on alternate day. Current maintenance, this is the main issue. I wash it with pressure washer and foam whenever it gets muddy. Otherwise I use Jopasu duster followed by ONR or Carpro waterless wash. I use polish or wax whenever I thoroughly wash the car. Here I always made mistake I.e sometimes I use Meguiars polish or sometimes yellow wax or other products which I like to apply on that particular day.Actually I didn't follow any proper methods to apply them.

So now that you have a daily driver and used for mostly every day it will be exposed to elements and traffic pollution.. Washing your car weekly with good quality soap / foam wash is good enough.While washing try to minimise scratches by using a good quality mitt and rinse it often before running over the paint.
The marring and swirls need to be corrected once a year may be and not on a regular basis as it will damage the clear coat eventually causing harm to base coat .
Suggest you use a paint sealent after paint correction.
Avoiding swirls to a maximum will help in long run.
DrMudhan has given excellent details about how to achieve a good paint finish and upkeep.
The idea is to be practical as it's a daily driver and not a show car .So if you over do polishing with machine frequently you can run out of clear coat very early.

Last edited:
So now that you have a daily driver and used for mostly every day it will be exposed to elements and traffic pollution.. Washing your car weekly with good quality soap / foam wash is good enough.While washing try to minimise scratches by using a good quality mitt and rinse it often before running over the paint.
The marring and swirls need to be corrected once a year may be and not on a regular basis as it will damage the clear coat eventually causing harm to base coat .
Suggest you use a paint sealent after paint correction.
Avoiding swirls to a maximum will help in long run.
DrMudhan has given excellent details about how to achieve a good paint finish and upkeep.
The idea is to be practical as it's a daily driver and not a show car .So if you over do polishing with machine frequently you can run out of clear coat very early.
Actually I apply polish or wax by hand with Meguiars pad. Recently I have placed order for Rupes Dual Action 15 Mark3 polisher to get rid of swirl marks.

Yeah it's a good brand..make sure you get the right pad and compound combination there are innumerable videos also on YouTube.
Do share with us your opinion after using the polisher
Certainly I will share my opinion with the forum. I am a little bit confused to start with right color pad. Should I start with yellow pad as suggested by the seller to remove the swirl mark?Or start with blue coarse?

My Tigor is completing 3 years in a month, it has had fair amount of off roading as almost 3km road to my farm house in Solapur is a dirt road with bushes and thorny trees shrubs on both side of the road and the road itself being just 3m wide. We vist the place atleast once in 3 months and monsoon is the worst time for my car, recently when I visited my farm house there were excessive scratches on either side of the car due to overgrown shrubs. The scratches were not deep, just there on the clear coat, but very visible, so decided to get something done. Got a full wash of the car and did a few DIY detailing.

Products used:-
Acko Microfibre Cloth- 200/- a piece but worth it.
IMG_20201028_105731.jpg

3M Cream Wax- for that gloss, shine and wet look. After 2 days I am satisfied with the outcome, will be using the same on my K10 and Classic 350 when time permits
IMG_20201028_105755.jpg

Nippon Nax Eco rubbing compound- to get rid of scratches. It worked well all the minor scratches have dissapeared.
IMG_20201028_105743.jpg

3M all in one shiner:- for tyres and interior parts, yet to use it as I was running short of time, will also be trying it out on my Classic 350 engine.
IMG_20201028_105716.jpg

Now some pictures of the outcome:

The car out of a detailed wash session. The so called "diesel wash" In local language, had to do it as it was covered in a hell lot of dirt. Also got interior vaccumed and polished, underbody thoroughly cleaned.
IMG_20201028_105642.jpg

After the wash was done I began the DIY session in my parking lot, there was no direct sunlight so did it in the open.
First used the compound to eliminate the scratches and then applied the 3M cream wax. The compund was applied and rubbed using a soft cotton cloth, 3M cream was applied using the provided applicator sponge and post drying, it was wiped off using the microfibre cloth.
IMG_20201028_105631.jpg

IMG_20201028_105704.jpg

It doesnt look bad for a 3 year old, 50000km run vehicle, aint it? Thinking of procuring the TAIger sticker set for this beauty!

Now the only issue I have is the car wash guy uses water daily for washing, so have asked him to use water only when the car is visibly dirty, and asked him to use a microfibre cloth for cleaning. But im still worried if the wash guy will adhere to my instructions. Will wait and see for a few days.

Top Bottom