Exhaustive Guide: Car Detailing Basics

Thread Starter #421

Dr MUDHAN

Honoured Member
2.jpg

Clip.jpg

Detailing of a car depends upon the condition of the car, whether it is simply DUSTY or seriously DIRTY.
The more it is kept away from the Sun and Outdoor Parking, lesser will be the blemishes.
And, again based on how well it is maintained whether the car receives Daily Cleaning, Periodical Washing, and Planned Detailing.

ALBUS underwent DETAILING to look young and to get the best on a non-metallic taffeta white paint.

The detailing was carried out during moderate weather, under home portico @ possibly maximum dust free environment and the car was not used for three days. This time I did with whatever available with me. My daily usage is very less and it is to give you an idea I share here about what I did. You can try and do whatever best suits to you by following the General Guidelines which are shared in this thread by CRACIN & others.

The photos of ALBUS here are captured by Samsung Galaxy Edge 7 Mobile @ non HDR mode, 16.9(9.1M Pixels) on 15th December 2019 in the evening at 5.30 during a cloudy day. No other editing is done except resized, 50% haze removed for more appealing visuals.

PROCESS:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
FIRST DAY
Morning:

Washing with Sonax Gloss Shampoo, dried and wiped with Amazon Basics Large Thick Drying MF Towel.
Clayed carefully part by part by using Bilt Hamber Auto- Clay Soft and PROKLEAR RAW as lubricant
Washed and Wiped.
Carefully polished the car fully part by part to remove surface oxidation by using mildly wet Car Waxing Polish Foam Sponge with AMWAY SILICONE GLAZE Car Polish (I felt, it’s very effective on white color).
Evening:
Cleaned the car by Japosu Duster & softly wiped by MF cloth, second time carefully polished the car fully part by part by using POORBOYS White Diamond Glaze.
Cleaned the whole body by SOBBY 440 GSM Microfiber Cleaning Cloth and sprayed and sealed with the SONAX BSD. (it is a viscous liquid, need to shake well before use)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
SECOND DAY
Morning:

Second coat with the SONAX BSD after wiped out micro dust with the help of Japosu duster and moist MF cloth.
Evening:
Waxed by using Poorboy's Natty's White Paste Wax, after wiped out micro dust with the help of Japosu duster and MF cloth.
THIRD DAY
Morning:

Waxed by using Poorboy's Natty's White Paste Wax (Second Coat), after wiped out micro dust with the help of Japosu duster and MF cloth.
Evening:
Softly wiped the car surface by Japosu duster
Tires / Alloy spokes were cleaned by VIM dish wash solution spray and wiped. Applied Armor All Gel to tires. Cleaned the aluminum spokes by AMWAY liquid, wiped with MF cloth, again wiped the spokes with a very thin layer of Armor All Gel.

Maintenance:
  • DAILY, I dust out by Jopasu duster, when the car is not used. When used, simply mist with PROKLEAR Raw spray and wiped off by MF cloth. Also Clean the alloy wheels by a good 3inch broad (paint) brush and by MF wheel duster. I keep multiple MF cloth exclusively for top, sides and wheels. I just wash and dry (Shade) the MF cloth every day.
  • WEEKLY, I do the above process, plus also a Quick Detailing by spraying PROKLEAR Raw Extreme CX, leave on surface for few minutes to see the droplets of wax and do soft buffing before it dries. (After Checking for bird, tree drop stains and remove them carefully after soaking with a tissue paper and cleaning by AMWAY SP if required). Clean the alloy wheels by a good paint brush, spray the wheel by VIM Dish wash diluted liquid and wipe. Dust out engine bay, Bonnet and Dicky grooves /channels.
  • MONTHLY, or Whenever the car becomes dirty due to more bird drops, Rain, bad muddy road, long travel I wash the car with or without Car shampoo, wipe and dry all areas that includes inside Doors, Dicky and Bonnet (different cloth), brushing the tire sides with VIM liquid, dried and applied with Formula 1 Black Gold Tire Shine. Also, carry out QD as weekly. Cleaning of interiors, and Engine bay.
  • EVERY THREE MONTHS: As monthly, plus Apply Sonax BSD and wax , applying Meguiar’s Natural Shine Protectant on Dash & interiors.
  • AFTER EVERY SERVICE: When the car comes back after service, I clean the inside door pad fabrics and water marks on the glasses by COLIN to remove the finger marks created by the workers. I carefully remove before sending the car to service station some of the items like 3D foot mats, Pen Drive, Memory cards, Perfume, removal Head unit remote control on the steering wheel, special tire valve caps, some removable electronic gadgets like battery meters, items in glove box and ensure my Roof Light is off. It’s not only to avoid missing, but to preserve the life especially the perfume will evaporate more while washing and doors opened, the beige 3D mats becomes dirtier and curled when carelessly thrown out, kept under the sun.
  • During rainy day I always put newspapers over the foot mat and throw it when dirty.
  • YEARLY ONCE I do full detailing.
Clip_10.jpg

Clip_3.jpg

Clip_2.jpg

Clip_6.jpg

NOTE:
The process and Bonding (Curing) time is important while Detailing.
I will try later CarPro ECH2O Waterless Wash High Gloss Detail Spray & PB Ex-P / Collinite 845 Insulator Wax.

The following posts by CRACING may be interesting / useful to you.
Sonax Xtreme Brilliant Shine Detailer: Honest Review
Skil 9080 Car Polisher – Review

Last edited:
Thread Starter #422

Dr MUDHAN

Honoured Member
[surprise]
We are discussing seriously about the SCIENCE OF DETAILING in this thread here.

Today, I am surprised to note in this video that the way detailing of a car done by a STREET DETAILER in our country.

Are you able to find out / list out the materials which are used by him? [lol]

Last edited:
View attachment 267049
View attachment 267050

Detailing of a car depends upon the condition of the car, whether it is simply DUSTY or seriously DIRTY.
The more it is kept away from the Sun and Outdoor Parking, lesser will be the blemishes.
And, again based on how well it is maintained whether the car receives Daily Cleaning, Periodical Washing, and Planned Detailing.

ALBUS underwent DETAILING to look young and to get the best on a non-metallic taffeta white paint.

The detailing was carried out during moderate weather, under home portico @ possibly maximum dust free environment and the car was not used for three days. This time I did with whatever available with me. My daily usage is very less and it is to give you an idea I share here about what I did. You can try and do whatever best suits to you by following the General Guidelines which are shared in this thread by CRACIN & others.

The photos of ALBUS here are captured by Samsung Galaxy Edge 7 Mobile @ non HDR mode, 16.9(9.1M Pixels) on 15th December 2019 in the evening at 5.30 during a cloudy day. No other editing is done except resized, 50% haze removed for more appealing visuals.

PROCESS:
FIRST DAY
Morning:

Washing with Sonax Gloss Shampoo, dried and wiped with Amazon Basics Large Thick Drying MF Towel.
Clayed carefully part by part by using Bilt Hamber Auto- Clay Soft and PROKLEAR RAW as lubricant
Washed and Wiped.
Carefully polished the car fully part by part to remove surface oxidation by using mildly wet Car Waxing Polish Foam Sponge with AMWAY SILICONE GLAZE Car Polish (I felt, it’s very effective on white color).
Evening:
Cleaned the car by Japosu Duster & softly wiped by MF cloth, second time carefully polished the car fully part by part by using POORBOYS White Diamond Glaze.
Cleaned the whole body by SOBBY 440 GSM Microfiber Cleaning Cloth and sprayed and sealed with the SONAX BSD. (it is a viscous liquid, need to shake well before use)
SECOND DAY
Morning:

Second coat with the SONAX BSD after wiped out micro dust with the help of Japosu duster and moist MF cloth.
Evening:
Waxed by using Poorboy's Natty's White Paste Wax, after wiped out micro dust with the help of Japosu duster and MF cloth.
THIRD DAY
Morning:

Waxed by using Poorboy's Natty's White Paste Wax (Second Coat), after wiped out micro dust with the help of Japosu duster and MF cloth.
Evening:
Softly wiped the car surface by Japosu duster
Tires / Alloy spokes were cleaned by VIM dish wash solution spray and wiped. Applied Armor All Gel to tires. Cleaned the aluminum spokes by AMWAY liquid, wiped with MF cloth, again wiped the spokes with a very thin layer of Armor All Gel.

Maintenance:
  • DAILY, I dust out by Jopasu duster, when the car is not used. When used, simply mist with PROKLEAR Raw spray and wiped off by MF cloth. Also Clean the alloy wheels by a good 3inch broad (paint) brush and by MF wheel duster. I keep multiple MF cloth exclusively for top, sides and wheels. I just wash and dry (Shade) the MF cloth every day.
  • WEEKLY, I do the above process, plus also a Quick Detailing by spraying PROKLEAR Raw Extreme CX, leave on surface for few minutes to see the droplets of wax and do soft buffing before it dries. (After Checking for bird, tree drop stains and remove them carefully after soaking with a tissue paper and cleaning by AMWAY SP if required). Clean the alloy wheels by a good paint brush, spray the wheel by VIM Dish wash diluted liquid and wipe. Dust out engine bay, Bonnet and Dicky grooves /channels.
  • MONTHLY, or Whenever the car becomes dirty due to more bird drops, Rain, bad muddy road, long travel I wash the car with or without Car shampoo, wipe and dry all areas that includes inside Doors, Dicky and Bonnet (different cloth), brushing the tire sides with VIM liquid, dried and applied with Formula 1 Black Gold Tire Shine. Also, carry out QD as weekly. Cleaning of interiors, and Engine bay.
  • EVERY THREE MONTHS: As monthly, plus Apply Sonax BSD and wax , applying Meguiar’s Natural Shine Protectant on Dash & interiors.
  • AFTER EVERY SERVICE: When the car comes back after service, I clean the inside door pad fabrics and water marks on the glasses by COLIN to remove the finger marks created by the workers. I carefully remove before sending the car to service station some of the items like 3D foot mats, Pen Drive, Memory cards, Perfume, removal Head unit remote control on the steering wheel, special tire valve caps, some removable electronic gadgets like battery meters, items in glove box and ensure my Roof Light is off. It’s not only to avoid missing, but to preserve the life especially the perfume will evaporate more while washing and doors opened, the beige 3D mats becomes dirtier and curled when carelessly thrown out, kept under the sun.
  • During rainy day I always put newspapers over the foot mat and throw it when dirty.
  • YEARLY ONCE I do full detailing.
View attachment 267051

View attachment 267062

View attachment 267086

View attachment 267092

NOTE:
The process and Bonding (Curing) time is important while Detailing.
I will try later CarPro ECH2O Waterless Wash High Gloss Detail Spray & PB Ex-P / Collinite 845 Insulator Wax.

The following posts by CRACING may be interesting / useful to you.
Sonax Xtreme Brilliant Shine Detailer: Honest Review
Skil 9080 Car Polisher – Review
Beautiful House and Car. Is this your passion?

[surprise]
We are discussing seriously about the SCIENCE OF DETAILING in this thread here.

Today, I am surprised to note in this video that the way detailing of a car done by a STREET DETAILER in our country.

Are you able to find out / list out the materials which are used by him? [lol]

I can hear only about 3m shampoo.

@CRACING I think you use the manual pump sprayer and have recommended the same (https://www.amazon.in/Kisan-Kraft-KK-PS2000-Manual-Sprayer/dp/B01BLFFE5I )

There is a similar item available from a brand called ResQTech which costs significantly more but it marketed specifically for car washing (https://www.amazon.in/Resqtech-RESQTECH-UNAUTHORISED-warranty-provided/dp/B00SRK4G50 )
Is it better to go for the ResQTech product (Would the water pressure be higher?) or is the cheaper option better?

@CRACING I think you use the manual pump sprayer and have recommended the same (https://www.amazon.in/Kisan-Kraft-KK-PS2000-Manual-Sprayer/dp/B01BLFFE5I )

There is a similar item available from a brand called ResQTech which costs significantly more but it marketed specifically for car washing (https://www.amazon.in/Resqtech-RESQTECH-UNAUTHORISED-warranty-provided/dp/B00SRK4G50 )
Is it better to go for the ResQTech product (Would the water pressure be higher?) or is the cheaper option better?
Hello,

Yes I use 1.5L manual pump sprayer for rinseless wash and water pipe via tap from overhead tank for full car wash.

ResQTec 8 Liter sprayer would be too much for rinseless wash because you just need ~1.5L water+solution for whole car. However, you can use it for full car wash which includes shampoo. There is no info about how many pumps are required for initial pressure but you have to pump 2-3 times every 1min to maintain pressure. Pressure would be decent but I doubt it will get rid of heavy mud on mudflaps and wheel wells.

If you have access to power supply then I'd suggest this cheap and best pump. Otherwise you can try 8 liter manual pump sprayer. ResQTec is expensive whereas same from Fieldstar and Kisan Kraft costs half!
Thanks...
Best Regards

Last edited:
Good day Doc, I hope ALBUS doing fine. during lock down I am casually looking into car care products. How about snow-foam wash, is it harmful to paint, rubber or plastics. I request you to suggest good brand because there are lot on Amazon. Thanks in advance.

Hi Suryaputhra,
If you are looking for a strip wash use the utensil cleaner in a pressure washer.
If you're car is protected and you want a maintenance wash ,if budget isn't a constraint you can try bilthamber or carpro brands.These won't strip the protection on your car .
If you wanted budget washimg snow foam go for wavex car shampoo..I have personally been using them since about 4 years on all my vehicles and I am very happy.Its pH neutral and mild on hands even.. produced excellent foaming.
Nowadays wash and wax shampoos also available which has good foaming action when used with pressure washer .Check turtle products for same .
Please post your purchase updates

Thread Starter #428

Dr MUDHAN

Honoured Member
How about snow-foam wash, is it harmful to paint, rubber or plastics. I request you to suggest good brand because there are lot on Amazon
ALBUS is well with all of your good wishes. Thank you.

CAR FOAM WASH.jpg

Car washing requires quite a lot of care.

The success of SNOW FOAM WASH depends the three main factors - the right combination of 1. car wash detergent, 2. compressed air, and 3. water that when mixed together at optimal ratios, are what creates a thick and lustrous consistency of snow foam.

It’s not that the chemical composition of car shampoo that we use is only important but, equally the water quality & pressure applied over the paint surface is also important. Generally, we should avoid the water pressure to the strongest, fastest rip current level as that takes away all our protective coats.

Therefore, we should ensure that the foam is pH neutral, not harsh, dissolves well, has the benefit of softening and encapsulating dirt and road grime, also importantly easily washed away / rinse off by moderate pressure of water, depending on the weather, usually after about 5 minutes or so is a good average dwelling time.

We have to note, In a country like INDIA we have more of inorganic dirt and road grime that can’t be easily softened. Removing natural, organic dirt is easy as just like soaking our dirty plates and pans in soapy water that softens the stuck food particles and makes them so much easier and safer to clean without having to resort to more aggressive scrubbing and damaging the surface.

Disadvantage that always noted:

1. The Shine does not come easily.
2. Need of more water.
3. Recommended dilution may not always work everywhere at it depends upon the quality of water used @ TDS level and hardness; We may need to try a different dilution or another brand in case a famous brand doesn't work for us.
4. Generally, a snow foam wash is considered as a pre-wash treatment or preparation for the hand wash stage, then need to proceed to normal few bucket hand wash stage with our regular shampoo where it will be a more effective wash.

My Choices:
WaveX-FW1K
Proklear-Snow-Concentrate

ph-levels-1-e1581985555204.jpg

Last edited:
View attachment 278289

Car washing requires quite a lot of care.

The success of SNOW FOAM WASH depends the three main factors - the right combination of 1. car wash detergent, 2. compressed air, and 3. water that when mixed together at optimal ratios, are what creates a thick and lustrous consistency of snow foam.

It’s not that the chemical composition of car shampoo that we use is only important but, equally the water quality & pressure applied over the paint surface is also important. Generally, we should avoid the water pressure to the strongest, fastest rip current level as that takes away all our protective coats.

Therefore, we should ensure that the foam is pH neutral, not harsh, dissolves well the dirt and grim, also importantly easily washed away / rinse off by moderate pressure of water, depending on the weather, usually about 5 minutes or so is a good average dwelling time.

We have to note, In a country like INDIA we have more of inorganic dirt and road grime that can’t be easily softened. Removing natural, organic dirt is easy as just like soaking our dirty plates and pans in soapy water that softens the stuck food particles and makes them so much easier and safer to clean without having to resort to more aggressive scrubbing and damaging the surface.

Disadvantage that always noted:

1. The Shine does not come easily.
2. Need of more water.
3. Recommended dilution may not always work everywhere at it depends upon the quality of water used @ TDS level and hardness; We may need to try a different dilution or another brand in case a famous brand doesn't work for us.
4. Generally, a snow foam wash is considered as a pre-wash treatment or preparation for the hand wash stage, then need to proceed to normal few bucket hand wash stage where it will be a more effective wash.

My Choices:
WaveX-FW1K
Proklear-Snow-Concentrate

View attachment 278290
Thanks for giving in-detailed reply with excellent information it it. I will stick to the brands mentioned by you. Does this foam wash will effect plastics and rubber beading hardening the overtime?

Last time I have done water-less wash with Proklear raw cx in hurry. Lot of places it is dried and stained on the paint, after that many washes I have done but stains are there how to remove them safely. Regards

Thread Starter #430

Dr MUDHAN

Honoured Member
Lot of places it is dried and stained on the paint, after that many washes I have done but stains are there how to remove them safely.
I don’t think any neutral pH liquid will affect the plastics and rubber beading.

But, as you know plastic surfaces are more vulnerable and easily get weathered by SUN’s strong ultra violet rays. It’s always preferred to use a powerful UV blocker that defend against fading, cracking & aging like Meguiar's G4116 Natural Shine Protectant / CARPRO PERL after every wash and periodically.

Regarding Proklear Raw CX wax droplets - Please try AMWAY SILICONE GLAZE Car Polish, apply, allow it to dry , rub softly and try second time if required. Then protect the areas by your regular Quick Detailer / Sonax BSD or Sealant.

With Regards.

Last edited:
Thanks for giving in-detailed reply with excellent information it it. I will stick to the brands mentioned by you. Does this foam wash will effect plastics and rubber beading hardening the overtime?

Last time I have done water-less wash with Proklear raw cx in hurry. Lot of places it is dried and stained on the paint, after that many washes I have done but stains are there how to remove them safely. Regards
Seems like the carnauba wax has made the stains probably due to baking in the sun after washing and before you could dry ..Try using a inconspicuous test spot and wipe with wiping alcohol and check if it removes the stains.Then as Mudhan sir has suggested use a UV protection product.
Worst case use a black trim restoration product again on test spot to see efficacy.I use trinova rubber and trim restoration product and has worked well on dull faded plasctics and rubber of my M800 .

Thread Starter #433

Dr MUDHAN

Honoured Member
Doc, pls suggest me good substitute for AMWAY SILICONE GLAZE it is not available on amazon.
A. I always refer Amway Silicone Glaze Car Polish as a WONDER LIQUID. Honestly, it is a must have and available online at Flipkart. I used this even to remove road TAR black droplets. I am sure, it will take care of your issues.
AMWAY SILICONE GLAZE
– I would say this as a ‘wonder liquid ’. It easily cleans tar spots, double side tape / stickers gum, polishes chrome surface, and cleans the oxidation in the initial level and road traffic black carbon emission marks without affecting the paint. Even removes bird dropping stains after cleaning the droppings. It effectively cleans the sweat marks on the seats and foot marks on car door sill / scuff plate area.
Amway Silicone Glaze Car Polish @ FlipKart

B. My next alternative is Motomax 2k Car Rubbing Compound, available at Amazon. Please note, it is not a regular Rubbing Compound but special for our new generation of car paints (2K paint is direct high gloss paint without clear lacquer)
Apply with care in a wet cloth, rub softly.
Motomax 2k Car Rubbing Compound@ Amazon.in (It is easily available in all local Auto Sore, Petrol Bunks and cheaper than online cost.)

C. Regarding Alcohol, Isopropyl Alcohol (Surgical Spirit) is not effective and will leave a dust magnet spot.
Car Paint NC Thinner will clean very easily but very bad on our car’s finished paint surface.

Before doing anything, If you have one, you can even try any AIO Polish like KLASSE AIO Polisher, OR even with 3M Perfect-It 1 Step Finish Compound
on an inconspicuous test spot .

After removing the wax spots, please ensure those areas are clean and protect with your regular detailing stuff.

Last edited:
Hello all, I need some suggestions. I am confused between Meguiar's Ultimate Wax, Yellow Wax and Black Wax. Not able to decide which one to buy. If anyone can give some inputs it will be useful. Only Meguiar's product because I know the dealer here and can get them for less than mrp.

Top Bottom