Exhaustive Guide: Car Detailing Basics

@CRACING
Thanks a lot Sir. Few final queries-

One duster is sufficient. I'd recommend CA duster but you can choose either. I doubt microfiber caused noticeable scratches, that too so early and its impossible on windscreen/glass (I have experience with windshield polishing so trust me, it won't cut easily). With the help of duster you can easily remove light dust. Just make sure the car is dry and dust is not heavy or settled on the paint. If the car has medium dust, you can do rinseless wash and if it is heavy, do full wash with shampoo. Don't use news papers for removing dust, it will cause scratches. News paper is used to remove haze on glasses after washing the car but microfiber works better and safe. Yes, you can use any duster on mirrors to remove light dust.
Thanks. I have ordered both now, I will keep one as an alternative. So, for cleaning windscreen and side mirrors should I use the hand cleaner that comes with Japuso? What if there is hard dust on mirrors, say we use the following product-
https://www.amazon.in/Formula-61580...&qid=1516816739&sr=1-3&keywords=glass+cleaner
After using this cleaner can we use the MF of 300gsm to clean it?

Do you have access to water pipe from over head tank? if so, you can use Water Spray Gun like this. If not, there is pressure sprayer like this one. However, it will not easily clean shampoo car wash, instead it works better with rinseless wash.
Will try to have access to simple water pipe. First link is not opening. Second link's product, you are right will work with rinseless wash, but the Proklear cx is already coming with a sprayer so no need for this one.

Here I will give little details about the products you have mentioned:
Formula 1 Wash and Wax Shampoo, Armor All Wash and Wax - The wax stays temporary only, say until your car gets dirty. You cannot or must not depend on it. Don't use these when you wanna apply standalone wax (i.e Formula 1 Paste Wax) otherwise you'll be applied wax on a temporary wax.

3M Shampoo, Sonax Shampoo, Sonax Gloss Shampoo - Use any of these when you apply standalone wax.

Going for Sonax Gloss Shampoo+F1 Premium paste wax. What is the difference between a paste and liquid wax? And should I apply it with the applicator pads that I am ordering or with the pad that comes with the wax?

Chemical Guys Microfiber Wash Mitt - Its very good if it fits your budget. I use Sobby Mitt though. https://www.amazon.in/Sobby-Single-Sided-Microfiber-Cleaning-Multicolor/dp/B01GBDWEKSAlso
Let me check the alternative.

SOFTSPUN Microfibers - Your wish. I use SOFTSPUN Microfibers though.
What's the difference?

Sobby Microfiber Drying Towel - As name suggest, it used for drying washed car and works better then normal microfiber.
Ordering 1 in the meantime.

Proklear RAW and RAW CX - These are rinseless wash products. Useful to clean light to medium dirty vehicle effortlessly. Checkout their official videos.
Is the rinseless method/technique fine as shown in the video that I have posted in the last reply? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gVU4C_6wOE

Meguiar's Foam Applicator Pad - Its good if it fits your budget otherwise you can checkout EzClean Foam Applicator Pad.
Let me check the alternative.

Formula 1 Carnauba Paste Wax - Since you already this wax, you can use it and then if don't feel satisfied, you can go for premium products like Formula 1 Premium Wax.
No one suggested carnauba paste wax for cars, so I have ordered the premium one. Will use this one for the two wheelers.

Formula 1 Premium Fast Spray Wax - Spray waxes are used to boost existing layer of wax, say once in two weeks or depending upon durability of standalone wax mentioned above. Application is same as applying wax.
Boost as in? Sorry didn't get you. Can I use this spray wax after rinseless washing or just after using Japuso or CA duster?

Proklear TTD - Use this for tires, dashboard, trims and etc plastic and rubber parts to prevent fading. It is available in ebay India.
Any other website except ebay? Isn't the 3m one good enough?
https://www.amazon.in/3M-IA26016638...id=1516784539&sr=1-2&keywords=3m+tyre+dresser

Meguiar's Natural Shine Protectant - Its alternative to Proklear TTD but may not last long for exterior. At present its listed for Rs. 490 which is a steal deal.
On which interior parts do we need to use this exactly? Also can it be used on the seats?

Sealant - This is a premium stuff and mostly available in car detailing websites. i.e Auto Fresh India, Detailed Clean India and etc. i.e Poorboys EX-P Sealant
Polish - This is used to remove micro scratches, existing wax and brighten the paint or make it glossy. This should be used once in 6 months or a year. Frequent use is not advisable.

Is there a need for me to go for the sealant and polish right now? How much is the application frequency of these anyways and what are the benefits?

Proklear TTD is a dashboard, tire, trim protectant. Proklear RAW and RAW CX are waterless car wash aka rinseless wash products.
Thanks

Sorry, Ceramic coating subject is vast and I have little knowledge about it. All that I know is, its worth for luxury cars in well developed countries. [glasses]
Not for Indian conditions?

Here is how I maintain my car:
- Full car wash every week, with either normal shampoo or wash and wax
- Waterless car wash in the week days
- Occasionally use duster when there is not time for washing.
- Proklear TTD every month for all exterior plastics and rubber which includes tires.
- Meguiar's Natural Shine every month for all interior plastics and rubber which includes dashboard and pu leather seats.
- Spray wax every month and standalone wax or sealant every 2 months.
- Clay and polish every year.
- Rain-X Glass Treatment and Anti-Fog in rainy days.

Super cool regime.What is the benefit of clay? And what is Rain-X Glass treatment?

Is there any tutorial video showing how to apply all these as in, in one direction, circular motion etc?

There was heavy rainfall yesterday so when I took the cover out today the car looked like it came back from an offroading. I was scared about the scratches so I used the Amazon basics MF cloth that I have to gently clean the windscreen. I didn't touch the rest of the car because that requires cleaning and I don't have the tools as of now.

Formula 1 premium paste wax went oos. Some unknown seller was selling it with Rs. 100 as shipping so I have ordered the liquid one. Really wanted the paste one :(

So, for cleaning windscreen and side mirrors should I use the hand cleaner that comes with Japuso? What if there is hard dust on mirrors, say we use the following product. After using this cleaner can we use the MF of 300gsm to clean it?
You can use the large duster to remove all the dust from exterior including windshield and mirros. For interior including dashboard use hand duster. This is what I do. If the mirrors are too dirty, spray water or rinseless mix or glass cleaner and wipe with dump MF cloth. Yes, you can use high GSM MF clothes to buff the residue to shine.

First link is not opening. Second link's product, you are right will work with rinseless wash, but the Proklear cx is already coming with a sprayer so no need for this one.
Here you go but its just an example, you may search for more spray guns.

Spray bottle works fine but frequently pressing the trigger will hurt your hands.

What is the difference between a paste and liquid wax? And should I apply it with the applicator pads that I am ordering or with the pad that comes with the wax?
As the name suggests, the substance is different but the results will be same. Liquid wax can be applied easily, dries quickly. Paste wax is little tricky but it may last longer. However, this may differ depending upon product. You can choose either and apply with applicator pads. Yes, you can also use bundled pad but you'll need 2-3 pads for wax application.

Is the rinseless method/technique fine as shown in the video that I have posted in the last reply?
The video you have posted is about using CA duster. Check this video on how to use Proklear rinseless products.

No one suggested carnauba paste wax for cars, so I have ordered the premium one. Will use this one for the two wheelers.
See, there are many wax and sealant products. Local ones are cheaper and imported ones cost more. It all ends down to buyers budget and/or requirements. Some people can afford ceramic, some go for sealants or waxes and some with limited budget go for cheaper products. None will harm their cars; only difference is durability, degree of paint protection, water behavior and etc, so you get that you pay for. I have used plenty of wax and sealants (Mother's, Meguiar's, Auto Finesse, Optimum, Menzerna, Sonex and etc. These all are international brands) but its difficult to suggest one because one that works for me may not work for others. Paint is different, user application method is different, environment is different and so on.

Thats why I say, try cheaper one and later go for better products once you get familiar. Formula 1 premium wax is just a top of the line product from Formula 1 brand but not the best of-the-lot, there there are much better products as well. To name a few, Collinite 845, Menzerna Power Lock, Meguiar's Ultimate Wax, Sonax PNS, Sonax BSD, Meguiar's Ultimate Spray Wax.

Boost as in? Sorry didn't get you. Can I use this spray wax after rinseless washing or just after using Japuso or CA duster?
Durability of wax differs by products, application, maintenance and etc. Say your wax lasts for 1 month and you have to reapply wax but this can be extended to 1.5 or 2 months by using spray wax in the mean time and this is called boosting. Detailing the car after dusting or rinseless wash is not advisable. You have to fully wash the car and apply spray wax.

Any other website except ebay? Isn't the 3m one good enough?
Why not ebay? seller is same everywhere. Anyway, here you go.

I haven't used 3m products but it should be good too.

On which interior parts do we need to use this exactly? Also can it be used on the seats?
Dashboard, pillar panels, door panels and etc. Can be used on PU Leather seats too but it will become slippery for some time. Don't use it for fabric upholsters though. If you have original leather seats, use leather conditioning and/or protectant products instead.

Is there a need for me to go for the sealant and polish right now? How much is the application frequency of these anyways and what are the benefits?
You don't really need a polish for a new car. As of Sealant, you can consider it later. Frequency depends upon durability of the product. Some wax wears in 2 weeks, some in a month and some stay for several months. Benefits, well wax and sealant are paint protection products like I said before. They prevent paint fading, rust and keep the gloss for long durations.

What is the benefit of clay? And what is Rain-X Glass treatment?

As I said before, clay is used to remove above surface contaminants. i.e cars that not detailed for long. You have a new car so don't worry about it.

Rain-X Glass treatment is a water repellent product.

Is there any tutorial video showing how to apply all these as in, in one direction, circular motion etc?
One direction makes straight line scratches and circular motion makes round scratches like spider web. [:D] Just kidding. Please research specific application videos in youtube.

Last edited:
You can use the large duster to remove all the dust from exterior including windshield and mirros. For interior including dashboard use hand duster. This is what I do. If the mirrors are too dirty, spray water or rinseless mix or glass cleaner and wipe with dump MF cloth. Yes, you can use high GSM MF clothes to buff the residue to shine.

Here you go but its just an example, you may search for more spray guns.

Spray bottle works fine but frequently pressing the trigger will hurt your hands.

As the name suggests, the substance is different but the results will be same. Liquid wax can be applied easily, dries quickly. Paste wax is little tricky but it may last longer. However, this may differ depending upon product. You can choose either and apply with applicator pads. Yes, you can also use bundled pad but you'll need 2-3 pads for wax application.

The video you have posted is about using CA duster. Check this video on how to use Proklear rinseless products.

See, there are many wax and sealant products. Local ones are cheaper and imported ones cost more. It all ends down to buyers budget and/or requirements. Some people can afford ceramic, some go for sealants or waxes and some with limited budget go for cheaper products. None will harm their cars; only difference is durability, degree of paint protection, water behavior and etc, so you get that you pay for. I have used plenty of wax and sealants (Mother's, Meguiar's, Auto Finesse, Optimum, Menzerna, Sonex and etc. These all are international brands) but its difficult to suggest one because one that works for me may not work for others. Paint is different, user application method is different, environment is different and so on.

Thats why I say, try cheaper one and later go for better products once you get familiar. Formula 1 premium wax is just a top of the line product from Formula 1 brand but not the best of-the-lot, there there are much better products as well. To name a few, Collinite 845, Menzerna Power Lock, Meguiar's Ultimate Wax, Sonax PNS, Sonax BSD, Meguiar's Ultimate Spray Wax.

Durability of wax differs by products, application, maintenance and etc. Say your wax lasts for 1 month and you have to reapply wax but this can be extended to 1.5 or 2 months by using spray wax in the mean time and this is called boosting. Detailing the car after dusting or rinseless wash is not advisable. You have to fully wash the car and apply spray wax.

Why not ebay? seller is same everywhere. Anyway, here you go.

I haven't used 3m products but it should be good too.

Dashboard, pillar panels, door panels and etc. Can be used on PU Leather seats too but it will become slippery for some time. Don't use it for fabric upholsters though. If you have original leather seats, use leather conditioning and/or protectant products instead.

You don't really need a polish for a new car. As of Sealant, you can consider it later. Frequency depends upon durability of the product. Some wax wears in 2 weeks, some in a month and some stay for several months. Benefits, well wax and sealant are paint protection products like I said before. They prevent paint fading, rust and keep the gloss for long durations.

What is the benefit of clay? And what is Rain-X Glass treatment?

As I said before, clay is used to remove above surface contaminants. i.e cars that not detailed for long. You have a new car so don't worry about it.

Rain-X Glass treatment is a water repellent product.

One direction makes straight line scratches and circular motion makes round scratches like spider web. [:D] Just kidding. Please research specific application videos in youtube.
Thank you so much Sir. Last few questions-
- Which products are there for original leather seats?
- I checked few videos some suggest to wash/wax in circular motion and some suggest to go in the direction of the car. Really confused.

An unfortunate incident happened last evening. Wife was reversing the car, she started looking on her right side to see if there was someone there or not. Then there was this idiot in wagon r who reversed at such high speed that his car hit our car at the back. I was about to go and check the damage but wife said nothing happened so she turned away. On reaching the parking lot I checked that the lower part of the boot and the lower panel or whatever that is where there are sensors on the back is all scratched up very bad. When there is no fault of yours and you get messed up it hurts very bad. Since I was shocked on seeing that so I didn't click any photos. I am still devastated. She started crying last night. Anyways this is called life. There are some compounds or something I think by Meguire to hide/lessen these scratches. Do they really work? What would you suggest? Will try to get the photos asap.

Thank you so much Sir. Last few questions-
- Which products are there for original leather seats?
- I checked few videos some suggest to wash/wax in circular motion and some suggest to go in the direction of the car. Really confused.
I haven't tried any because I don't have original leather seats. You may checkout Armor All Leather Care, it comes as gel and liquid (Protectant). If you want one from Meguiar's, its called Gold Class Leather Cleaner and Conditioner.

Straight motion is advised by experts because if any scratches happens, it can be easily fixed later (i.e machine polishing). Doing circular may cause swirls and later difficult to polish.

An unfortunate incident happened last evening. Wife was reversing the car, she started looking on her right side to see if there was someone there or not. Then there was this idiot in wagon r who reversed at such high speed that his car hit our car at the back. I was about to go and check the damage but wife said nothing happened so she turned away. On reaching the parking lot I checked that the lower part of the boot and the lower panel or whatever that is where there are sensors on the back is all scratched up very bad. When there is no fault of yours and you get messed up it hurts very bad. Since I was shocked on seeing that so I didn't click any photos. I am still devastated. She started crying last night. Anyways this is called life. There are some compounds or something I think by Meguire to hide/lessen these scratches. Do they really work? What would you suggest? Will try to get the photos asap.
Ah that really hurts. :redface: Anyway, these are unpreventable so don't worry, be happy and enjoy the ride.

Any rubbing compound will lessen the scratches to some degrees but since damage is severe, I suggest to get it fixed/touch-up in the service center. They will make it like nothing happened. [:)]

Last edited:
Got a chance to use my Meguiar's DA system last weekend for polishing & waxing my car. Did a quick water beading test the next morning, shared in below video.

Machine: Stanley 600W drill machine, attached to Meguiar's DA power system.
Polish: Meguiar's Ultimate Polish
Wax: Collinite 845
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffDqBy7Lb_w

Nairrk

Honoured Member
Have got below items from Amazon today

Car washiing Brush - Rs.214

001.JPG

002.JPG

003.JPG

004.JPG

I dont know how long it will last?

Waterless Wash + Polish - Rs.549 (includhinig microfiber cloth)

005.JPG

006.JPG

007.JPG

008.JPG

Anyone used or using this Waterless wash product? Will it damage the car paint in the long run??

View attachment 260739

View attachment 260740

View attachment 260741

View attachment 260742

I dont know how long it will last?

View attachment 260743

View attachment 260744

View attachment 260745

View attachment 260746

Anyone used or using this Waterless wash product? Will it damage the car paint in the long run??
Congrats on your 2 car detailing products investment, the brush looks sturdy, never seen the waterless wash and polish, what do the instructions say? First use it as a trial on your scooter, it should not leave swirl marks, BTW I use the 1Rs. Shampoo to wash my car with good results.

Nairrk

Honoured Member
How to use the waterless wash:

Step 1 : Spray ample amount of waterless wash solution on vehicle and let it loosen the dirt for few seconds

Step 2: Using the microfiber cloth, wipe off the soiution from side to side, avoid circular motion.

Step 3: Again, spray a little quantity of the solution and this time buff off the solution using a dry microfiber cloth to polish the area

That's all...

Is this for cleaning car body paint? if so, then I think it will cause swirls because the foam doesn't absorb dirt or grits. You have to use wash mitts like this or this for effective and swirl free cleaning. I have used both these mitts and AmazonBasics's is the best.

Looks like a product from good company and promising. Since it is pre-diluted, it will be expensive for regular use so I suggest to use it as quick detailer to remove bird drop, tree sap, oil stains and etc.

I have been using proklear raw and raw cx since several years. It is works fine for light to medium dirty car and is cost effective.

Last edited:

Nairrk

Honoured Member
Is this for cleaning car body paint?
This brush is for just normal use, especially to clean the glass surface like windshield and door glasses. Instead of using cloth, I will use this brush along with water, which may help to remove dust faster/cleaner and then clean the surface with dry cloth/microfiber cloth.

Looks like a product from good company and promising
Yes, its shade expensive. However, I will first test it on my Scooter (as suggested by Vinodji) and see the result before trying it on the car

Nairrk

Honoured Member
Autoluster Waterless Wash + Poilish

As suggested by Vinodji ,tried the product on my Scooter. Ofcourse the Maestro Edge has a fibre body, but still after applying the product it shines like a new one .!
(I did not use any microfiber cloth, instead used old banian cloth which too was so smooth as microfiber cloth)

010.JPG

013.JPG

011.JPG

Autoluster Waterless Wash + Poilish

As suggested by Vinodji ,tried the product on my Scooter. Ofcourse the Maestro Edge has a fibre body, but still after applying the product it shines like a new one .!
(I did not use any microfiber cloth, instead used old banian cloth which too was so smooth as microfiber cloth)

View attachment 260801

View attachment 260802

View attachment 260806
Excellent results Nair Sahab, I think you can go ahead on your Tiago.

Top Bottom